• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Best Buys Smash Bros Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
My g/f and I got to play at Century in PA. We both played the 3DS one for a very short time, and got two games each on the Wii U.

3DS: When I say "for a very short time," I mean "I willingly put it down after about a minute." I could not for the life of me make heads or tails of how to control the thing, and I think the person ahead of me felt the same because I was playing the tail-end of their game. He had chosen Megaman, and there was no way to back out, so that's who I was stuck with (I really didn't want to play MM until I was more familiar with the game, but it happened anyway). Smash Run seems like a fun concept, but I don't feel like it adapts well to Smash. The main problem I had was purely navigation. Even trying to jump up to a platform above my head was painful, in part because you can't turn around mid-air to attack an enemy behind you (and in part because I wasn't prepared for 3DS controls). My partner said she felt the same way.

Megaman himself felt... odd, but I really think (hope) this was my bad on the 3DS controller. The weirdest part about him is his "normal" attacks all felt like specials. His punch is he shoots his arm buster, and his uair shoots a tornado above his head as a ranged projectile. This made it even harder for me to get used to the controls because I thought I was pushing B by mistake.

Wii U: This felt amazing. The characters just glide through the air very naturally. It's very fluid, and there's little delay between controller input and character action. It does feel more like Brawl than Melee, but... think Brawl - tripping + speed, so basically Brawl's biggest flaws addressed.

Bowser: I manager to get a Smash Ball and confirmed Gigabowser returns. He looks awesome, but I noticed his attacks were lacking their elemental effects like they have in Brawl. I also cancelled out of his butt stomp once (from the ground; I couldn't repeat this if I started it mid-air), opening the door to a new(?) tech (I know you can do this in P:M, but have never seen it happen in Brawl).

Sonic: FAST. I absolutely love how he feels in this game. He is way, way better than in Brawl, maybe even better than P:M. He really seems to capitalize off the game's smoothness a ton, and is able to get wherever you need him fast. I was still able to pull off some of his pop up > air chase combos.

Hearsay reactions from the g/f:

Zelda: Oddly finicky and hard to play, this might have been due to being unfamiliar with the Wii U Pro controller (I had similar problems with Bowser since that was my first play - for whatever reason though, she was unable to overcome them - and she's almost as experienced with Smash as I am)

Marth: She's already in love with him. She said he felt way better than his Brawl version, even though his range has been decreased. His attacks come out so much faster, and his sword dance was a hundred times easier to manage.

Overall summary: The game flows much faster and smoother, and it seems like faster characters are getting the most benefit out of this. I hope this doesn't mean slow characters like Bowser and DDD are going to be left wanting.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
My g/f and I got to play at Century in PA. We both played the 3DS one for a very short time, and got two games each on the Wii U.

3DS: When I say "for a very short time," I mean "I willingly put it down after about a minute." I could not for the life of me make heads or tails of how to control the thing, and I think the person ahead of me felt the same because I was playing the tail-end of their game. He had chosen Megaman, and there was no way to back out, so that's who I was stuck with (I really didn't want to play MM until I was more familiar with the game, but it happened anyway). Smash Run seems like a fun concept, but I don't feel like it adapts well to Smash. The main problem I had was purely navigation. Even trying to jump up to a platform above my head was painful, in part because you can't turn around mid-air to attack an enemy behind you (and in part because I wasn't prepared for 3DS controls). My partner said she felt the same way.

Megaman himself felt... odd, but I really think (hope) this was my bad on the 3DS controller. The weirdest part about him is his "normal" attacks all felt like specials. His punch is he shoots his arm buster, and his uair shoots a tornado above his head as a ranged projectile. This made it even harder for me to get used to the controls because I thought I was pushing B by mistake.

Wii U: This felt amazing. The characters just glide through the air very naturally. It's very fluid, and there's little delay between controller input and character action. It does feel more like Brawl than Melee, but... think Brawl - tripping + speed, so basically Brawl's biggest flaws addressed.

Bowser: I manager to get a Smash Ball and confirmed Gigabowser returns. He looks awesome, but I noticed his attacks were lacking their elemental effects like they have in Brawl. I also cancelled out of his butt stomp once (from the ground; I couldn't repeat this if I started it mid-air), opening the door to a new(?) tech (I know you can do this in P:M, but have never seen it happen in Brawl).

Sonic: FAST. I absolutely love how he feels in this game. He is way, way better than in Brawl, maybe even better than P:M. He really seems to capitalize off the game's smoothness a ton, and is able to get wherever you need him fast. I was still able to pull off some of his pop up > air chase combos.

Hearsay reactions from the g/f:

Zelda: Oddly finicky and hard to play, this might have been due to being unfamiliar with the Wii U Pro controller (I had similar problems with Bowser since that was my first play - for whatever reason though, she was unable to overcome them - and she's almost as experienced with Smash as I am)

Marth: She's already in love with him. She said he felt way better than his Brawl version, even though his range has been decreased. His attacks come out so much faster, and his sword dance was a hundred times easier to manage.

Overall summary: The game flows much faster and smoother, and it seems like faster characters are getting the most benefit out of this. I hope this doesn't mean slow characters like Bowser and DDD are going to be left wanting.
Most players have the exact opposite impression of marth. His range has been increased, he's slower, and dancing blade has stricter timing. His grabs are awful and all of his moves have some general startup and ending lag.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
quick question, do players kind of make a grunt after every smash attack like they did in melee? For some reason I always liked that addition.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Been back from the Baybrook (Webster, TX) location. Anybody else went to that one?

-Waited in line for 3 and a half hours.
-Mom wanted to kill me.
-Bowser is more agile, but still slow.
-Greninja's final smash is op.
-We used Wii U Pro Controllers
-Marth is still quick and still speaks Japanese.
-Little Mac is absolutely powerful on the ground.
-Crowd behind us went nuts.
-Nobody played as Donkey Kong. NOBODY.
-WFT seems like a balanced character.
-Game feels like Brawl but plays more like Melee.
-Pit's final smash is hell.
-Saw Waluigi as an Assist Trophy
-Zelda's final smash remains the same.
-Bowser's final smash remains the same.
-Mario's final smash remains the same.
-Marth's final smash remains the same.
-Game froze when Mega Man activated final smash.
-Some guy yelled out "Nobody likes Marth!"
-Guy next to me said "I do!"
-THERE IS NO TRIPPING!
-Guys I was playing with were amazing. We shook hands and wished each other good luck before and after the match.
-I tied for first place
-Sudden death happens
-I get 2nd place. Not bad, though.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
Well, I have two characters I play as most - Mario and Peach - so I'll probably check them out first. And then move on to Villager and Mega Man.
Really, it depends on how many times I get to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom