• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Buy Demo Discussion - What do you think of Little Mac in Smash 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
So, Zelda won't have the worst aerial game in this smash then! ...Right? LOL.

But so yeah, ZeRo slated him as "low tier"?

Do any of you guys think he isn't/won't be good? (Don't focus on the 'tier' part, but the though of him not being good.)

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think he's gonna be rather good. He looks to have a strong, flexible ground game, which I think will be very important with the engine changes. I expect his punish game and defensive options to have a lot of potential.

N-Air could very well be scarier than it looks at first glance. I have high hopes for him to be a threat all around.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Little Mac was a lot of fun to play, I kept wasting the uppercut. I would have it, but be near death, get knocked off stage, then look at my percent and it would be gone. I really do wanna see some good Little Mac play. That would be interesting. People who actually know what they are doing.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I am really liking how Little Mac plays. Yeah his air game sucks but I think he makes up for it with his powerful ground attacks. I don't think any other character is "extreme" in this matter in Smash 4 yet, with one style of fighting being superior to the other.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
The aerial that does only 2% damage, was it his Nair or Dair?

Also, seeing as how easy it seems to punish ppl who airdodge towards the ground now, Mac is gonna be there, waiting for them, with nB.

Last edited:

Astronut

Smash Apprentice
I got the chance to play Little Mac on both Wednesday and Saturday and I just wanted to comment on his recovery. His vertical recovery is sub-par, but to make up for it, his horizontal recovery (side-b) is pretty useful. It's kind of like Diddy's side-b (just a tad bit shorter and it doesn't carry momentum as well as Diddy's). With proper DI, and the new ledge mechanics, recovering shouldn't be that bad.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I got a chance to play him.

Never have I felt so powerful on the ground.
In the air... not so much. Yikes.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
He was FUN. Goodness gracious he was fun. Never has a character felt so natural to me.

tetraforce

Smash Rookie
the OHKO is satisfying to land plus the meter builds whether you get attack or hit it will definitely change the way 1vs1 matches are played you could have Little Mac at 200% but if he catches you with a OHKO at 35% or above your Finished

Last edited:

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
I didn't read the other posts so I'm sorry if this was already mentioned but it seems that everyone has forgotten about little mac's multiple side smashs as shown in this pic of the day https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqFx7WO4Dg. I think this is important because not only does little Mac already have an advantage on the ground with his speed and power but with his multiple side smashes he even has more moves than every other character on the ground giving him more versatility with his ground game.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I used him only in the 3DS version of Smash 4. I really enjoyed him, but he's going to take some getting used to. I did the Smash Run mode and then a 4 player free-for-all with him, in which I won. He has some really good combo attacks, is decently quick, but he's really limited in jumping and air attacks. In Smash Run, you have to do some platforming through the level, and it got to be pretty hard to do with him. I would have to time up-B uppercuts to land on just a short cliff. I think he's going to be a force though - he has some power.

UliWa

Smash Rookie
I am a wario main, so he felt really foreign to me...i was trying to do air moves all the time.
I will still main him tho, he seems really good but people will have to DI up all the time since his up b is ass. Side b is good! I am afraid that characters like toon link will counter him

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Well, they have to land eventually, and with that ground control and the airdodge landing lag being significantly increased from Brawl, I don't think he'll have too much trouble against air-centric opponents.

UliWa

Smash Rookie
I have notice a lot of warios wanna main little mac which is pretty ironic because he is the opposite of wario they are like yin and yang...you gonna main him reflex btw you were one of my favorite warios in brawl

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Imagine getting hit by a Bob-omb except straight up. That's a fairly good comparison. You can expect to get the KO at around 30-35%.
Lowest I landed it and got the KO was at 14% actually.

I didn't read the other posts so I'm sorry if this was already mentioned but it seems that everyone has forgotten about little mac's multiple side smashs as shown in this pic of the day https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqFx7WO4Dg. I think this is important because not only does little Mac already have an advantage on the ground with his speed and power but with his multiple side smashes he even has more moves than every other character on the ground giving him more versatility with his ground game.
Yeah the up-tilted and down-tilted side smashes are REALLY good. The up-tilted one allows you to combo into up special and the down tilted one just deals more damage. I can't remember how much but it's more than 20%

quotidianmusic

Smash Rookie
Honestly, while I didn't win too many games with Mac on the demo, I think he's the most fun character to play as. His OHKO is the most satisfying thing to connect with ever. But we might see, as with Bowser, that some of the heavier, faster characters will be up and coming. It seemed harder to KO (for me personally) so using heavier characters kind of balanced that out I guess.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Honestly, while I didn't win too many games with Mac on the demo, I think he's the most fun character to play as. His OHKO is the most satisfying thing to connect with ever. But we might see, as with Bowser, that some of the heavier, faster characters will be up and coming. It seemed harder to KO (for me personally) so using heavier characters kind of balanced that out I guess.
I could KO most characters at 100% with an up smash, but Link and Bowser needed to be around 110% in order to get the KO. That doesn't sound like much, but no one just takes damage for free. Little Mac has to be really careful against big characters. On the one hand his super armor lets him punch through slower attacks, but his light weight and poor recovery makes him easy to knock out with only a couple hits.

LittleMacAndCheese

Smash Rookie
NNID
sonicj
3DS FC
4124-6305-9419
Hes really fun to use and hes strong but when it comes down to his recovery he is much better on stages that dont have bottom screen KOs

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
Pretty late to this, but when I did the Best Buy demo, I did 3 of my 4 rounds as Mac. Let me tell you, on stages like Coliseum with nowhere to fall off, Mac is an absolute beast. He's so good to a point that, when the match ended, we all knew one of the Little Macs won, and I won by a landslide - +4 to two -2s and a -1. His air game is, as stated, absolute garbage. You also gotta be really careful with the Jolt Haymaker, lest you fling yourself off the side of the stage like I did numerous times on Wily Castle. His OHKO move seems to be broken, at least in the E3 build, because sometimes you'll land it and they either only go flying a small amount (I believe you can see this happening in the Treehouse Day 3 video) or, in my case, absolutely nothing beyond some extra damage being added on to the opponent.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Are you sure you didn't use the KO Punch in mid-air? It's much weaker in the air.

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
Are you sure you didn't use the KO Punch in mid-air? It's much weaker in the air.
No, it was on the ground for sure. I'm just wondering if it's got some bugs in the E3 build where it doesn't always work, since Sakurai said it's supposed to be an OHKO if you land it, iirc. I actually didn't know you could use it in the air at all, as I've never seen it used in the air before anyways.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
It's based on percentage. It does not KO below 14%
At least not in the E3 build

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom