• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Behind the "Mindgames"

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
So I was asked many times to explain this "Mindgame" concept to Peach players. I'm not too sure how I am gonna pull this off, But I'll give it my best shot. This post was first made in the Peach boards. I just copied and pasted it here. So if you see anything that is a lil Peach realated, that is why. But most is general stuff and you can even transfer it to your character if possible.

What is mindgames really?

To be honest, there is many definitions for this word or term "Mindgame" So since I am the one explaining this, I'll share my meaning of it. Mindgames is pretty much toying with your opponents. It can sometimes be an "educated guess" And some people may confuse that with "lucky guesses" I'll get into that next. When I play mindgames on someone, I tend to go for the "WTF?" idea. Like seriously......wtf? Thats right......WTF, you have no clue what to do or expect do you? This is how my Peach is based on with my style. Not facny tricks or strats or focused alot on brains. The way I see it, I have people help me beat them.
Have no clue how to react to this "WTF" M2K? What I did was just stupid and made no sense Ally? Good now I can kick your *** just for being stupid and making no sense.

For those that don't get ^ or think it does not make sense. or just don't get it at all with my examples. Think about it this way. People can respond to smart and legit things. Cause they are use to it. It's life. being smart and legit gets you far in life. it's a good thing. But have you noticed how people have trouble responding or reacting to stupid things? people can't respond to stupid cause thier mind is just not set for it.

"People can't respond to stupid"- Dark.Pch

***Note- If you are planing moves out or doing things step by step to hit the opponent, That is not mindgames. Do not get this confused. Strats and set up and just strats and set ups. Generic stuff. A process.

If a guy was to randomly walk up to you and say "hey boy/girl, I like you, I have 1,000 dollars to give to you just cause I like you and never seen you before in my life" What would your reaction be if this happen right now? How would you respond. Would you give a quick answer right away? Would you think about it before giving an answer? is this dude seriously for real? Is he really gonna give me 1,000 bucks if I say yes? You really don't know. he could be some guy from some show helping people out in the city handling out money. he could be high. Drunk? Or is just that rich that feels he needs to share the money to those not as rich as him? Many reason it can be to a point, you could get that 1'000.

That's what I call a "WTF" Cause thats how you are at the monent. And can't really respond to it or really know how. Think of it that way.

it also does not have to be like this. You can mindgame someone by simply out smarting them. But in some cases. out smartng them does not really inculde mindgames. you are just smart/better than your opoonent. But with being smart, does that mean you can trick people? or think ahead Being creative and smart the same? can that seriously be 2 different things. maybe mindgames is playing ahead and brains is knowing all your options. It could be the other way around. So which true concept is it really?

Now I just had you thinking about this post. I made one simple thing so complicated? you really can't think of a straight answer can you? You seriously can't be sure about it? really don't know? Well I just messed with you head thinking about it like that. Look at what I said in my first and second paragraph. Read that? Ok now look atwhat I just said here that had you thinking and pretty much had you thinking so hard.........for no reason at all. From my first and second paragraph, there was really no need to be thinking so hard for an answer Cause as I said eailer, there is many definitions for "mindgames", really in this game. so you just reading that, yet I had you thinking about paragraph 4. See I just toyed with your head.

Can people respond to simple things though? Why are you thinking about answering this queston? Do I really want an answer from you? Did I put it there to show another example or mindgames? why are you even reading this small part write now? Why are you thinking about how to answer these questions......................................... .............

Difference between an "educated" guess and a "lucky" guess:

When you throw out a move, are you sure it will hit? Are you seriously sure it will hit the enemy? Or are you HOPING it will hit them? If you are hoping it will hit and not planing things out or thinking about your assult, you are making a LUCKY guess. if it hits your opponent, you did not feel or know it will/would hit them. You just threw the attack just to throw it out there. it had nothing to do with you.

If you noticed something about your opponent based on how he plays and reacts to what you do, You have a better understanding of what moves to dish out and how. You seriously can not know about what your opponent is gonna do all the time. fact. or else People would never take hits in a match. yet people do for a reason. And that is because people can't always tell what button(s) on the controller or motion of the stick (or both) Your opponent will do next. He/she is not telling you what he will do. Though at times I have when I play and have people actually thinking "ok, is he really gonna do this next, is he for real telling me this and is actually gonna do it. or is it some joke to get me to think he is gonna do that, and he will do something else............or really is it the other way around?" There I just toyed with my opponents head by doing something as stupid as saying what I will do next. Now he can't think straight or know what to expect. "Mindgames"

But getting back on track here. If all that said before my "telling my opponent what I will do next" example, I am able to say" Ok , so I noticed this and that when I do this and that. So I think if I did this, when he does that, I might hit him. Now you are sure that the next move you throw out will hit. But how do you really know? Your enemy could just do something else atm. For that it is called a guess But you throught it through, then dish out your move. thus it was an "Educated guess".

How can I get mindgames?

There is many ways to get them. It's all up to you though. Mindgames can start from habits. Here is an example.

I was playing my friend as Ike. I noticed he has a habit to roll and side step alot. (no he is not lucario, this be too easy) So I lost a stock. I came back (while still invinsible) and went to him and did not throw any moves at all. Just stood there. Now I took this into account:

- Usually when people just come back from a fresh stock, they wanna try to abuse the invisibility frames they have and chase thier enemy down and hit them. Opponent sees this and just wants to get away from you till they can hit you.

So thinking about that, I said "ok I go near this dude trying to throw punches, he is just gonna be a panzy and run. So what did I do? I went to him while he was near the ledge...........and did nothing. Just looked at him. Then in my head I said "...........................NOW!!!" And did a Fsmash the other way. And the dude rolled right into it. Thus. killing him at 70%. I did nothing at all but just stand there, he had no clue what to do or how to react. So much going through his head right now. He snapped and just wanted to get away from me. Oh he got away alright...........

That example can fall in the lines of an educated guess. Another example is when I was playing teams in a tournament a while back. My opponent hit the floor without teching. My teammate was over there beating up some poor soul. The other guy that messed the tech was right near our parnters. I had a feeling he did not want to get up or roll near where that right was at. I was a few inches away from him. So his safe option (according to this dude) was to roll to me. Thinking I am not paying attention. But I pay very close attention in teams. so I decided to charge an upsmash. This dude rolled right into it and I let it go perfectly for a sweet spotted up smash and he died. Boy was he stuck on stupid. I was too a lil just for doing that.......

With habits there is more than one way to abuse them. Options can go on for a long list depending on your character. But this is where you decided how you gonna do it. You are now thinking or smart, or just plan dumb ways (that work, yet make no sense at all) to punish the enemy. Mindgames are taking place here.

Being stupid is being smart:
Another way for mindgames is by doing stupid stuff. Like if I was to walk to you. then out of random turn around and walk away and do nothing, my enemy is gonna be like "Ok WTF?" Now this time I just walked and crouch, then ran away. "Ok, just WTF are you even doing, is this dude even taking this match seriously? I might walk to him again, he could be thinking I'll do nothing again, and try to attack me. I could just run away again or go to him, evade his attack and then attack him. i'm doing random things and switching it up while trying to win. I am seriously not trying to make him look like a fool. He is doing that to himself. Great, now I can go and fight and he can't tell what I will do. Same time I threw in more random stuff in there. While actually fighting him/playing legit.

Playing legit all the time is what people are use too. Thier mind is so active on this stuff and thinking about it alot. Ever noticed how mor people have trouble fright mid/ low tiers than high tiers? This is a true fact. And it is because all you see in tournies is the same characters all the time. So of course they gonna prepare for this. But because of this they don't tend to focus alot on characters below that as much. This is a good example of what I am talking about right now.

but doing other things that one would not expect can because they are scared they might be open for a hit, get punished, etc. That is running through your head right now. So that is dumb and no need to do it yea? Because it is risky or straight dumb is the reason to do it. People are already programed in thie game to deal with legit stuff they see all the tme. But what people don't realizze alot is that being this way can cost them alot. Look up what "Random" in the dictionary. Read the meaning of it. People can not get ready for rondom stuff on the spot. You won't know what to expcet or how to react. wether it is the riskiest or dumbiest thing to do.

Apex with ally Vs M2K. The crazy stuff that Ally did than no Snake would dare do against M2K. He went and did all that risky stuff and it worked. Really with those spikes. Ally risked so much doing that. He would have gotten ended early doing what he did in those sets.

Remember what I said before. People can't respond to stupid.

Your character can be a mindgame:

Ok so in this cause, we talking about Peach? I go into a match. I am playing this dude (wether he is as dumb as a rock or smart as a pro). Now here he could be thinking "Ok here we have a Peach, same Bull**** I gone seen before. and play too many of them. I know what to expect and how to deal with it."

I get this lil feeling in me and start to smile. I grab a turnip and jump or float to him.

"Ok, this dude is gonna just toss it to a Fair *sigh* let me sit in my shield and wait for it and the jabs, then get away or punish out the shield if I can"

My smile gets bigger. I jump/float to him, Z-drop the turnip and grab him.

"O___o, holy ****"

Holy **** is right dude. What, expecting me to turnip to fair to jab? You gonna make it that easy for me?

That is one exmaple. I am not gonna give anymore cause you have to learn this on your own. And if you do, you will get better. people are uses to the basics of a character and what works for them. So making the best choices/ strats in a match to win it. But what if I just decided to........idk............glide toss then run behind them to a pivot grab. What, though I was gonna glide toss to a jab or grab? Well I did grab you, but not the way you thought I would. Or jump to a Fair while turnip in my hand and then run back to a (instant)reverse turnip toss. No not glide tossing. In melee I think it was called Jump cump cancel throw? You cancel you dash animation and toss the turnip in place in the other direction instantly.

So the basics of your character or how they are played in general can be used to your advantage. Hit them with a typical set up a Peach would do, but do something random at the end of it. Don't play by the book. The book is for people who can't think for themselves. And this is actually true if you think about it. Just sit and think for a min.

This saying helps in so many ways......cause people don't use it. Ever hear the saying "expect the unexpected"? The slilly thing about it is, people really don't follow it. thus my talk about doing random things. people just are not ready to see or deal with it. Cause it makes no sense. Hardly see this crap. Focused more on what they are use too then so called "expecting the unexpected" If people really believed that and went by it, why can't they respond to stupid?

Think you ready for a lil fun?

I explained the basics of mindgames (to me anyway) as I said it can be and mean many things. People think are are different. Thats what makes people unique. Then about it that. Now it is up to you to make this mindgames. They are called this for a reason. none think like you do are are the same as you. They don't have your exact taste, finger prints, etc. Thats why I said I can't really teach them to you. its something you make up yourself. And it is your alone. That's the beauty of it.

So you ready to make people be stuck on stupid (cause they can't react to it so how they gonna get passed it). Make them think to much for no reason? Scare the hell out of them just for doing nothing? give them that confused look on thieir faces? Good, then why the heck you still in this thread? Why are you thinking of an answer for this question.............(mindgames)

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
To be quite honest, I think what you have here is way too long-winded for a tactic that is really little more than prediction and guesswork. While I agree that mindgames is a critical part of fighting games, I think you're overcomplicating what is really a simple process.

What do I think about mindgames? It is, as you said, 'playing with a person's head.' That usually means trying to decipher a player's personal habits and attempting strategies that would fail 95% of the time in a neutral circumstance by banking that they would work on that particular person. Of course, the player attempting to mindgame has to consider things such as how much benefit doing this strategy will give them against the punishment he'll get from having the strategy fail, because we have to place some line between 'attempted mindgame' and 'just plain stupidity.'

The best way to combat 'mindgaming' is to keep your cool and analyze the situation you're currently in. For a particular situation you described, the reason you're standing there doing nothing is because you're attempting to force a reaction from your opponent by having him think too much about what you're going to do. That can easily be alleviated by simply doing nothing as well; in fact, the opponent can take your attempted mindgame into his benefit by slowly trying to reach a position advantage while keeping all of his options open.

The best way to approach any situation, trying to mindgame or fighting against mindgaming, is by being unpredictable and refusing to give your opponent anything that might allow him to accurately guess your next move. Every position is a battle in itself, and it's up to the player to decide which action will give him the most benefit. While most of the time the safe option is usually the best way to go, it's perfectly fine to go all-out and try a plan that has only a small chance to succeed; just make sure you have a back-up plan in case your big attempt fails.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
To be quite honest, I think what you have here is way too long-winded for a tactic that is really little more than prediction and guesswork. While I agree that mindgames is a critical part of fighting games, I think you're overcomplicating what is really a simple process.
Well this is how I I see mindgames as and how I can explain it. Others could explain it in a smiple way to but I tend to think alot and break things down into small peices.

What do I think about mindgames? It is, as you said, 'playing with a person's head.' That usually means trying to decipher a player's personal habits and attempting strategies that would fail 95% of the time in a neutral circumstance by banking that they would work on that particular person. Of course, the player attempting to mindgame has to consider things such as how much benefit doing this strategy will give them against the punishment he'll get from having the strategy fail, because we have to place some line between 'attempted mindgame' and 'just plain stupidity.'
There could be manny meanins for mindgames. but this is one of themto me. Toying with someones head. And If something does not work, then best not keep trying to do it. Switch it up. The only time you would not switch it up is if it keeps working over and over. But because of this, people can develop habits that can hurt them later on.

The best way to combat 'mindgaming' is to keep your cool and analyze the situation you're currently in. For a particular situation you described, the reason you're standing there doing nothing is because you're attempting to force a reaction from your opponent by having him think too much about what you're going to do. That can easily be alleviated by simply doing nothing as well; in fact, the opponent can take your attempted mindgame into his benefit by slowly trying to reach a position advantage while keeping all of his options open.
W/e you can do, your opponent can do. Keep in mind I realized this. But I am also talking about how one person can use mindgames. And hwo to get better at them or develop them to begin with. Not mindgame vs mindgame.

The best way to approach any situation, trying to mindgame or fighting against mindgaming, is by being unpredictable and refusing to give your opponent anything that might allow him to accurately guess your next move. Every position is a battle in itself, and it's up to the player to decide which action will give him the most benefit. While most of the time the safe option is usually the best way to go, it's perfectly fine to go all-out and try a plan that has only a small chance to succeed; just make sure you have a back-up plan in case your big attempt fails.
This can fail under the "Educated Guess" part I was talking about.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Mindgame? If the opponent is recovering from up high and it just takes one bair to kill him and your opponent KNOWS that you want that bair, they will either try to hit you before you hit them or airdodge through your attack. You have the option of trying to hit them before they hit you (which is what everyone would expect you to do), or wait until whatever decision they make ends, THEN attack when they're most vulnerable (endlag of their attacks/airdodges). You surprised them by doing something they didn't expect: a mind game!

So, it literally is outsmarting your opponent, 'playing with their minds', making them think you're going to do something when in reality you KNOW that they're thinking that and will answer to that, so you'll do something different instead to get them for their obvious mistake.

Another example... Your opponent has been rolling around you the entire match, then hitting you after one roll. You've been leading them on to believe that it's to hard for you to punish, when in reality it's too easy to punish. Your opponent is now at killing % of your favorite grounded move: fsmash. So, your opponent, thinking that you can't possibly punish his roll, rolls behind you, and you know this is happening. When he does so, BAM, your semi-charged fsmash catches him during his roll endlag where he doesn't have invincibility frames! So, you 'played with his mind' by making him think that his roll>attack was hard for you to punish, but in reality was too easy and you were saving that option for when you needed it. MINDGAME!

It's all about outsmarting, knowing your tools, planning out what you want to do before you do it, paying attention to what your opponent does so that you make them think you're going to do something but actually do something else... Voila: you just mindgamed them.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
TL;DR if the opponent is stupid you can punish him.

At least that's what I understood when reading this massive wall of text.

Mindgame really is just conditionning and/or playing with triggers.
And the higher the level, the harder it is to pull off (because you know, high level players are not that stupid).

Super Shadow Brawler 99

Smash Apprentice
You know, I actually took my time and read through this entire thing. It was lengthy, but there are some good points to explaining what factors make up a mind game. Obviously, you took some time to think about this, EXCELLENT READ!!!

Vlade

Social Outcast
Mindgames is what separates the greatest from the good players.

The most important thing to note about mindgames from my experience is that certain tactics you have to 'mindgame' will not work on every player, and that different things need to be tried against different players because everyone has different reactions to certain actions.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
this...was helpful?

im a better player because i read this?

im officially smarter too?

WTF moments as i type this

Top Bottom