• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[BC] Looking To Establish a Vancouver Island Smash Scene

Nover

Smash Rookie
Due to the interest in a mid Island smash from the smashboards thread I've been looking into a number of venues in the Comox Valley. I've got 3 or 4 plausible places 3 of which have full kitchens and one has a fair number of places to grab something to eat nearby.

The biggest place would run me about 100$ to rent for the whole day. I don't mind covering part of it but the downside is the entrance fee might be a little higher. The other places I'm still negotiating prices with.

With enough people coming from around the island I really doubt venue cost would be an issue but I'd rather not sink 100$ into renting it and then have to pay the majority out of my pocket.

I know in the past our recreation center has cut people deals for running weekly/biweekly event so if you guys in were into it we could get our own little tourney scene running. I'm willing to volunteer to be a/the TO but if I could have one or two from other groups on the island (e.g. Duncan/Campbell River) to ease coordination I think things could go much smoother.

Once I get more word on pricing I'd like to start looking into places with some cheap CRTs that we could hopefully store at the location itself.

Jamie Williams

Smash Rookie
Due to the interest in a mid Island smash from the smashboards thread I've been looking into a number of venues in the Comox Valley. I've got 3 or 4 plausible places 3 of which have full kitchens and one has a fair number of places to grab something to eat nearby.

The biggest place would run me about 100$ to rent for the whole day. I don't mind covering part of it but the downside is the entrance fee might be a little higher. The other places I'm still negotiating prices with.

With enough people coming from around the island I really doubt venue cost would be an issue but I'd rather not sink 100$ into renting it and then have to pay the majority out of my pocket.

I know in the past our recreation center has cut people deals for running weekly/biweekly event so if you guys in were into it we could get our own little tourney scene running. I'm willing to volunteer to be a/the TO but if I could have one or two from other groups on the island (e.g. Duncan/Campbell River) to ease coordination I think things could go much smoother.

Once I get more word on pricing I'd like to start looking into places with some cheap CRTs that we could hopefully store at the location itself.
Nice man. We at spL would help cover the cost too

ThePrinceofMagnets

Smash Rookie
Hi I'm Ringedge's nemesis, the man he'll never beat, and

#$10venuefee

If you get 10 people, you're covered, if you get more, toss it in the pot (or take a cut, stack that **** up yo)

Last edited:

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
I saw that tournament, but the problem still stands, I need a ride... Anyone on here from the Duncan/ Victoria area want to hook me up?? Pretty please <3

GOLF

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
golf#184
Hi, I don't know if anyone here might know about it, but there is a tournament coming up in Campbell River this weekend. Last time we had pretty good numbers considering we're on the island. It's a bit short notice, but hopefully some of you guys can make it if you see this.
The Duncan crew would totally be there we had the resources

GOLF

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
golf#184
Here's the next UVic monthly's event page for those interested.

smashboards.com/threads/aug-30-2014-uvic-smash-monthly-august-victoria-bc.364804/

TopKek.GG

スーパー かわいい <3
Hi guys, I'm thinking of putting together a small tourney at the VIU Nanaimo campus in September. I know that Nanaimo is a bit far for some of you guys, but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in coming down (or up) for it.

GOLF

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
golf#184
Hi guys, I'm thinking of putting together a small tourney at the VIU Nanaimo campus in September. I know that Nanaimo is a bit far for some of you guys, but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in coming down (or up) for it.
Duncan scene is used to commuting for tournaments, so we would probably be there.

TopKek.GG

スーパー かわいい <3
Wow. I think the mid-island scene is bigger than we thought.

As for the game of choice would you guys prefer melee or PM? I would love to run both but in case only one is possible which one would you guys rather play?

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
Me and GOLF are the only ones left in town, there is a guy out in the properties named Ian that plays, as well as Edgeluca from Vic is living in Cobble Hill for the next few months. If you are willing to house I can come over whenever this week, and we may have a fest some time this week, goin the North Island Smash page if you want to contact everyone, although it is somewhat inactive, I would like that to change! https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=602316896500737

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
So, is anyone in here still wanting to get tournaments going in more mid-island locations? If someone can get a venue I can run the tournament, as well as bring a live stream. More Smash is always welcome!

proto235

Smash Rookie
Sup, Nanaimo player here, me and my 3 friends play smash frequently, primarily project M. We are all in high school, grades 11/12. I can't speak for them, but they would probably be down to play if anyone wants to.

TopKek.GG

スーパー かわいい <3
Sup, Nanaimo player here, me and my 3 friends play smash frequently, primarily project M. We are all in high school, grades 11/12. I can't speak for them, but they would probably be down to play if anyone wants to.
right on man. if you're okay with playing with a couple of 20-something year olds i'm down. :D

proto235

Smash Rookie
right on man. if you're okay with playing with a couple of 20-something year olds i'm down. :D
Me and the other grade 12 are fine with it, though I am not 100% sure about the 11s. In any case we could definitely set something up if your friends are down to play :D. Just out of curiosity do you guys prefer melee or PM?

If you guys are 11/12 one of you must be able to drive right? You should come to Victoria for the tournament in a week and a bit!
Yeah that would be fun, though it is a fairly long drive and all I'll see if anyone is up for it. How many players do you get typically?

TopKek.GG

スーパー かわいい <3
Me and the other grade 12 are fine with it, though I am not 100% sure about the 11s. In any case we could definitely set something up if your friends are down to play :D. Just out of curiosity do you guys prefer melee or PM?

Yeah that would be fun, though it is a fairly long drive and all I'll see if anyone is up for it. How many players do you get typically?
I play both, my other buddy likes PM mainly.

Oak~

Smash Rookie
Yo guys this is one of Owls buds im gonna be in vic for a couple days for the death from above concert on the 20th anyone down to smash melee, pm or 4 probably the 21st?

S K

Smash Rookie
Me and GOLF are the only ones left in town, there is a guy out in the properties named Ian that plays, as well as Edgeluca from Vic is living in Cobble Hill for the next few months. If you are willing to house I can come over whenever this week, and we may have a fest some time this week, goin the North Island Smash page if you want to contact everyone, although it is somewhat inactive, I would like that to change!
I sent in a join request a while ago but I don't think I've been accepted, I still want a Duncan scene!

Oak~

Smash Rookie
I sent in a join request a while ago but I don't think I've been accepted, I still want a Duncan scene!
Thats not so far from nanaimo it wouldnt be hard to make one scene out of the two. Are there many smashers there?

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
There was a tournament just last Saturday in CR I was at, there is a North Island scene for sure. South Island has a scene mostly based in Victoria, with GOLF moving from Duncan to Victoria in February, I will be the lone wolf down here for the most part. PM me if you want to try and organize a smashfest sometimes. Also I am TOing a tournament this weekend if anyone wants to come down and meet everyone, I believe most of CR is coming down as well as all of Victoria plus me and GOLF from Duncan.

S K

Smash Rookie
There was a tournament just last Saturday in CR I was at, there is a North Island scene for sure. South Island has a scene mostly based in Victoria, with GOLF moving from Duncan to Victoria in February, I will be the lone wolf down here for the most part. PM me if you want to try and organize a smashfest sometimes. Also I am TOing a tournament this weekend if anyone wants to come down and meet everyone, I believe most of CR is coming down as well as all of Victoria plus me and GOLF from Duncan.
Where are you hosting?

Top Bottom