• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[BC] Looking To Establish a Vancouver Island Smash Scene

Nover

Smash Rookie
I'm a Vancouver Island smasher and I've been playing melee/brawl for years but my close friend/sparring partner moved out of the province a few years ago. I figured since I now have more travel options available and some more resources I'd love to kickstart a consistent scene on the Island.

It'd be most convenient for myself to host it in the Comox Valley because of my schedule and I've talked to a few local places that have hosted Smash in the past years or are interested in starting a scene. Most of the smashers on the island are likely focused in Victoria but Nanimo or Comox Valley are more central locations. Overall it depends on who's interested.

Anyway this is just something I've been wanting to do for a while and with the summer upon us I figure the timing is right.

S K

Smash Rookie
Hey,

I was JUST browsing eBay looking for a gamecube controller to play on Dolphin then decided to see if there was an Island Smash scene and I find this fresh post. I just moved to Duncan and would be so down if this became a thing. I'm not good at all but I would love to get better or even spectate\help out at a local tourney.

I'll check this post again for any updates from you!

Jamie Williams

Smash Rookie
I'm a Vancouver Island smasher and I've been playing melee/brawl for years but my close friend/sparring partner moved out of the province a few years ago. I figured since I now have more travel options available and some more resources I'd love to kickstart a consistent scene on the Island.

It'd be most convenient for myself to host it in the Comox Valley because of my schedule and I've talked to a few local places that have hosted Smash in the past years or are interested in starting a scene. Most of the smashers on the island are likely focused in Victoria but Nanimo or Comox Valley are more central locations. Overall it depends on who's interested.

Anyway this is just something I've been wanting to do for a while and with the summer upon us I figure the timing is right.
Hey Nover,

Me and abunch of my friends work at the Strathcona Park Lodge in between Campbell River and Goldriver. There are about 10 of us that play consistantly and are interested in travellin to tournaments in the area (if they come up). Jamievnwilliams@gmail.com

Hope to play soon :)

Jamie Williams

Smash Rookie
So we have a venue? We were thinking of either doing it here at SPL or we could rent out the Quinny. You said you have some venues?

Nover

Smash Rookie
Sorry everyone for my late reply I had some things come up. I may have a venue in mind here in the Valley at a local game shop. I'll need to talk with the owners again but last I talked to they seemed interested. It has something like 10-12 TVs if I'm remembering right so we could likely run Melee, Brawl and PM if the interest was there.

S K

Smash Rookie
Sorry everyone for my late reply I had some things come up. I may have a venue in mind here in the Valley at a local game shop. I'll need to talk with the owners again but last I talked to they seemed interested. It has something like 10-12 TVs if I'm remembering right so we could likely run Melee, Brawl and PM if the interest was there.
That sounds cool but what about gear? I only have controllers.

lanbobyonson

Smash Rookie
Hey! Just saying you have another person interested in more smash scenes on the island. Unfortunately I'm not there all summer but I'll be back in late September. And I'll definitely want to play in every tournament I can (and win).

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
Me and a few of my friends in Duncan were thinking about hosting a tournament down here eventually, but we don't have a venue and we are teenagers... There are 4-5 of us that play if anyone wants to do a crew battle? Or anyone other players in Duncan want to play with us some time??

Last edited:

TopKek.GG

スーパー かわいい <3
if you guys don't mind playing with a crew of guys who are in our early-mid 20's, we can try to set something up in the Nanaimo/Duncan area, whatever works.

:D

superman64isgood

Smash Rookie
NNID
chaoslloyd
Hey, I am a friend of Ringedge and also from Duncan, we would most definitely be down for a crew battle! And like he said we have been trying to find a venue but the lack of income as a teenager and knowing where to host one here is difficult.

Del

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm a friend of Ringedge as well. I'm hosting a tournament in November at a fairly large venue in Duncan. I am just now trying to generate hype around it. Despite the "out-of-the-way" venue its a great venue and is during a long weekend, so hopefully a lot of people can come down.

superman64isgood

Smash Rookie
NNID
chaoslloyd
Hey guys, I'm a friend of Ringedge as well. I'm hosting a tournament in November at a fairly large venue in Duncan. I am just now trying to generate hype around it. Despite the "out-of-the-way" venue its a great venue and is during a long weekend, so hopefully a lot of people can come down.
Also, just wondering but does the venue have an internet connection? Specifically a connection for an Ethernet cable so I can stream smoothly.

GOLF

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
golf#184
if you guys don't mind playing with a crew of guys who are in our early-mid 20's, we can try to set something up in the Nanaimo/Duncan area, whatever works.
we would love to see this happen, let's work something out.

HomesliceHobbes

Smash Rookie
NNID
HomesliceHobbes
You already know me (Christopher Parker but my tag is Hobbes).

But our scene is pretty damn active and growing up in Campbell River but we definitely need some more melee. PM grows what seems like everyday though :D

Last edited:

HomesliceHobbes

Smash Rookie
NNID
HomesliceHobbes
True dat about Uvic. It'd be cool to get some bi-weeklies going out in the mid-island though since it'd be a mutual meeting location? Anyone know a gaming store around that could host that?

BiscuitTricks

Smash Rookie
Apparently, if you're a friend of Ringedge in this thread, you get hella cred points lol

But anyways, see any and all you scrub-a-dub-dubs at the UVic Monthly, possibly. Actually, that's my birthday, so I might not be there. But Uvic gonna take this. Also, should do a crew battle at UVic against you Duncan peeps.

Also, I think there's some people in Vic that would be willing to travel a bit up island, if you guys get something organized. But like, actually make sure it's organized with the game store properly if you go for that. Like, one game's bracket could take a couple hours, so if you host Melee, PM, and at least one other game (Like Brawl or 64), that's probably gonna be 6 hours if you're fast.

I'd link the tournament, but apparently I haven't made enough points yet. It's pinned on the UVic Smash group linked above, though.

But yeah, sounds cool. Hope to see some of you at the UVic tournament!

Jamie Williams

Smash Rookie
Watch out, us here at Strathcona Park Lodge have nothing to do but be hippies and play smash. We are 40 mins from campbell river. This month unfortunatly we cant make it to the uvic, but lets set up this comox duncan thinger

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
Sup guys

I live in the mainland. However my dad is gonna be moving to comox in September. Whenever I visit him I will see how the scene is doing. ;)

Good to see that there is actually smash players other then in Victoria on the island.

HomesliceHobbes

Smash Rookie
NNID
HomesliceHobbes

S K

Smash Rookie
I live in Duncan! Kentalish who also posted in this thread is my brother located in Qualicum. The sound of a local tournament has me pretty hyped.
If you need any stream equipment\help with streaming I may be able to assist I have a dual PC capture setup right now.

Also if anyone in Duncan wants to school me at Melee hit me up I'm trash.

superman64isgood

Smash Rookie
NNID
chaoslloyd
I live in Duncan! Kentalish who also posted in this thread is my brother located in Qualicum. The sound of a local tournament has me pretty hyped.
If you need any stream equipment\help with streaming I may be able to assist I have a dual PC capture setup right now.

Also if anyone in Duncan wants to school me at Melee hit me up I'm trash.
Hey I'm from Duncan and I would be down to play one day, as of right now my friends and I do have streaming equipment set up, with a template, cameras and Panel Writer for scores and names, but we only have a Dazzle so the low resolution kinda sets us back, so you're assistance would be great.

Top Bottom