• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #21: Wolf

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Lolwut?

Miss a recovery on PTAD and see how hot that stage is for :wolf:

X_X
It's not hard for Wolf to recover there since the stage itself is really low (No need to recover much vertically) and if you miss you take floor damage and potentially a follow up if your opponent is good, but that's still better than the stock you would have lost for missing a recovery on any other stage.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
It's not hard for Wolf to recover there since the stage itself is really low (No need to recover much vertically) and if you miss you take floor damage and potentially a follow up if your opponent is good, but that's still better than the stock you would have lost for missing a recovery on any other stage.
But the rise in % essentially makes your stock gone anyways. Another potential gimp off the stage and you'd be good as dead anyways.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
If I'm waiting for Wolf to recover there, I just knock him back off as lightly as possible until I can kill him out of recovery lag. He's not bad on the non-flying platform sections and when he's in control, but getting knocked off stage is stupid, not because it's hard to get back, but because it's hard to get back without eating a fist to the face as soon as you do.

Kinetic

Smash Apprentice
If I'm waiting for Wolf to recover there, I just knock him back off as lightly as possible until I can kill him out of recovery lag. He's not bad on the non-flying platform sections and when he's in control, butting knocked off stage is stupid, not because it's hard to get back, but because it's hard to get back without eating a fist to the face as soon as you do.
I have to agree with this sentiment. I could see it being really difficult managing to -stay- on the stage, even if you do manage to recover. Though my experience with PTAD is limited, as I've never played where it was a legal CP.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
It's kind of stupid. Generally people trying to **** over each others recoveries into taking loads of damage/dying, then camp the transformations for fear of cars. It's both boring at times and stupid at times.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
But the rise in % essentially makes your stock gone anyways. Another potential gimp off the stage and you'd be good as dead anyways.
I beg to differ. The Floor is 15% I believe, and you might take another few hits (SDI and Shine can help you avoid that however), but that's still better than outright losing a stock, not to mention you can do the exact same to other characters.
I wouldn't recommend taking Kirby, MK, D3, Diddy, Pit, or a few others here, but bringing characters like ZSS, any of the Starfox characters, Lucario, PT, Mario, or Oli, to name a few off the top of my head, is a great idea.

Honestly, very few people have messed with this stage, and I personally feel most people think it's way worse than it actually is for some characters (although for some it's pretty horrible, I admit, and for MK/Kirby/D3 it's pretty godlike.).

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Uhhh...PTAD is most likely only gonna b allowed in MW tournies around OH...other than that...dont think this stage shud really b an issue

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
You're probably right on that, though I would also think Iowa, maybe Missouri and the more liberal TOs of the West coast to possibly pick it up too.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Sadly, you're probably right. However, since it's on the ruleset, I felt I should mention it.

Also, I live in OH. [Hopefully] PTAD all day! :laugh:

D

Deleted member

I kinda doubt Wolf can move down with recent tournament results, with the addition of Choice coming in 16th at MLG. I think he'll be getting a little boost.

Kinetic

Smash Apprentice
I think our placement on the tier list is largely irrelevant as long as the tier list shows the fact that Wolf can be played viably in tournaments.

After all, pretty much every tier after B tier is a toss up anyway, we just don't see any players of those characters enough to get a grasp on how they could really be. Reflex is a GREAT pokemon trainer player and a fantastic player in general, but he's all that PT's have. He is their entire metagame. Is Reflex just that good, or is PT actually way better then E tier? Who knows?

Wolf is a solid character, and the tier list should reflect that it's possible to play a tournament and do well with him.

tekkie

Smash Master
Wolf is a solid character, and the tier list should reflect that it's possible to play a tournament and do well with him.
but people don't really do that. if choice went all wolf then his mlg placing would be astounding. also, if kain beat lain :D

castorpollux

Smash Champion
why can't a character be solid if he appears to need some alternates to help him out?

Only characters that don't need alternates are the very very top tier characters (snake/meta/falco/diddy)

D

Deleted member

why can't a character be solid if he appears to need some alternates to help him out?

Only characters that don't need alternates are the very very top tier characters (snake/meta/falco/diddy)
This is a pretty valid point.

Kinetic

Smash Apprentice
D3 is 8th on the tier list and very viable in tournaments. I've never seen a D3 (besides maybe CO18) player that doesn't also play another character at some point during a tournament. Wolf is doing a lot better at MLG than a lot of other characters. (Namely the ones who don't get played at all, a lot of whom are way higher than Wolf on the list). Kain and Choice have both proved it's possible to do well as Wolf.

tekkie

Smash Master
D3 is 8th on the tier list and very viable in tournaments. I've never seen a D3 (besides maybe CO18) player that doesn't also play another character at some point during a tournament. Wolf is doing a lot better at MLG than a lot of other characters. (Namely the ones who don't get played at all, a lot of whom are way higher than Wolf on the list). Kain and Choice have both proved it's possible to do well as Wolf.
true but

Wolf is doing a lot better at MLG than a lot of other characters. (Namely the ones who don't get played at all, a lot of whom are way higher than Wolf on the list)
^who are you talking about?

Kinetic

Smash Apprentice
Choice. One Wolf is better than the NO ONE that a lot of other characters have. Or do you mean the characters better than Wolf on the Tier list? Pit and Kirby are the most egregious ones I can name off the top of my head. Chudat is pretty much the only person who's ever played Kirby before, and I can't even name a Pit besides that Japanese guy, Earth. Game and Watch probably falls into that category too (Despite how good Zac is), but he suffers from his own stagnation issues, that make him not really popular. If Lee hadn't of started goofing off in the Grand Finals then I doubt GnW would have appeared on the Raleigh Results list at all.

D

Deleted member

GnW really shouldn't be on those results because I'm pretty sure he didn't win any games with that character.

Kinetic

Smash Apprentice
Don't get me wrong though, I don't think that the Tier List should be based on MLG tournament results alone, because MLG isn't the entire game, which is what the Tier List encompasses. MLG Raleigh is just the most recent major tournament to reference from that a wolf Main happened to do well in. I am not naive enough to think that a person who plays ONLY Wolf can win a national tournament, it's just unlikely to happen barring unusual circumstances. I do, however, feel that Wolf is capable of performing in the vast majority of tournaments, which don't take place at the National level.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Choice. One Wolf is better than the NO ONE that a lot of other characters have. Or do you mean the characters better than Wolf on the Tier list? Pit and Kirby are the most egregious ones I can name off the top of my head. Chudat is pretty much the only person who's ever played Kirby before, and I can't even name a Pit besides that Japanese guy, Earth. Game and Watch probably falls into that category too (Despite how good Zac is), but he suffers from his own stagnation issues, that make him not really popular. If Lee hadn't of started goofing off in the Grand Finals then I doubt GnW would have appeared on the Raleigh Results list at all.
They didn't make it to this MLG, but for Kirby you also have Ybm, who places really well and Chu has said is about equal in skill, and Mogx, whom I haven't seen much of but heard he's legit. I don't know a whole lot of top Pits, but I know Koolaid places well with him. I've also heard Suyon's pit is really good, and he beat some good players in a recent tournament, but I haven't seen him play in a while, despite being in the same area, so idk.

But yeah, my point is that there are good people repping those chars too.

Kinetic

Smash Apprentice
They didn't make it to this MLG, but for Kirby you also have Ybm, who places really well and Chu has said is about equal in skill, and Mogx, whom I haven't seen much of but heard he's legit. I don't know a whole lot of top Pits, but I know Koolaid places well with him. I've also heard Suyon's pit is really good, and he beat some good players in a recent tournament, but I haven't seen him play in a while, despite being in the same area, so idk.

But yeah, my point is that there are good people repping those chars too.
I was referring to strictly MLG tournaments at the time, but I didn't know about most of those players (besides Chu obviously).

Yeah, Chu is good, really good, but I don't think I've seen him or Koolaid at MLG's. (I think Chu was at Orlando, but I could be wrong?). I agree, Chu's placement as Kirby has been better overall outside of MLG. I've only heard Koolaid's name in passing before so I don't know much about him.

Also, Kirby has Kewwky as well, who is good, but I am getting sidetracked.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hasn't Lain won nationals in the past? Didn't Brood almost win a national going all Olimar? Just because a player is good enough to win with just 1 character doesn't mean that character is viable enough that you don't need an alt. With enough skill you can overcome any disadvantage; you just have to be that much better than your opponent the greater the disadvantage.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
lol comments are lol.

But keep it on topic guys >:O Don't want to bother the BBR members that subscribe to this thread with random posts, y'know? That, and this is my job. So... social thread, k? ;D

:059:

D

Deleted member

What do the BBR members have to say about the Wolf/MK match-up synopsis by Seagull I posted earlier in the thread?

D

Deleted member

This thread is kinda dead, so...

Wolf is a highly under-estimated character and should move up in the next tier list. Discuss.

Kinetic

Smash Apprentice
The BBR is kind of a tight schedule right now, and they are rushing through these character discussions mostly because of self-imposed necessity, I don't think they will likely be coming back to discuss stuff here, since they are probably already working on the tier list that is due out in less than two weeks. I wouldn't bother, though not to say that the BBR isn't really listening, they are just busy.

Us gushing about Wolf for 8 more pages by ourselves...well wouldn't be any different than what we usually do, but its really not going to help our case one way or the other, more than likely =P.

Top Bottom