• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bayonetta's Moves (GIFs)

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
I was just as excited as all of you were when Bayonetta was revealed, so to calm my hype I decided to go through her trailer and compile all of the attacks we were shown from her kit. There were a few moves that weren't shown off, or I missed them, but most of them are right here!

Smashes

Tilts

Specials

Angled Up

Angled Down

Aerials

She successfully Dash Grabs Pit after this, but I didn't get it in the GIF

Throws

Forward Throw and Up Throw were not shown.

Misc.

I hope this gives you guys some insight into Bayonetta and helps you visualize some of her options. If you noticed something I missed, please tell me.

EDIT:
Up Tilt added.
Get-Up attack removed.
Dash Attack added.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I think she used her up tilt when Sakurai began explaining her visual effects. It was a quick uppercut.

Last edited:

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
I think the gif you have labeled as her get up is just her D-Tilt when she holds the button, idk, looks the same to me :p

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
I think the gif you have labeled as her get up is just her D-Tilt when she holds the button, idk, looks the same to me :p
I'm pretty sure you see her getting up, I just didn't capture it in the gif as well as I would have liked.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I'm pretty sure you see her getting up, I just didn't capture it in the gif as well as I would have liked.
If you look in her trailer, you can see her crouching.
Edit:

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
If you look in her trailer, you can see her crouching.
Edit:
Duck on the left is skeptical about the efficiency. You have an otherwise high tier crouch that can duck under anything...why stick out your hurtbox so vulnerably at the rear? Such a shame.

Last edited:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Uhmmmmmmmmmmmmm every move looks incredible.

Sans utilt maybe.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Heel Slide is giving off Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance vibes... Then again, Platinum Games has done wicked things with slide attacks like in Bayonetta, MGR where it wasn't that crazy, but was cool since you could enter Zandatsu and cut people to shreds while you slide, and Vanquish which is basically bullet time and slide the game. I cannot think of any move she has that would be her dash attack and I blame this on never finishing her game and that Bayonetta didn't have a move list outside of command like the Stinger command - blame my Devil May Cry background... Actually, now that I think of it, she had this breakdance move, but I thought that was what Dtilt was... Eh.

Now... this is probably not in Smash for balancing reasons, but what if Bayonetta has access to jump cancels... Footstools work differently, so it wouldn't exist, but imagine Bayonetta being able to jump cancel her aerials. They weren't as crazy as Dante's, but she could do them in her games.

Well, don't all her tilts have combos?
I haven't played either game but does she have any moves that could be up-tilt like that don't actually put her in the air?
Have you played Devil May Cry? Similar combat controls; same developers. I know she can use a sword, a katana to be exact, and she has High Time - probably not the name it's called - in her games. What I don't remember is if she could do this with her gun weapons. Thing is that High Time can be made to enter the air or not; so you could just do an uppercut or rise with it which if Bayonetta has for her Utilt, would be the coolest mechanic that I kind of wished popped up for other characters by now like Falco, Ike, Mario, the Pits, and Sonic's Utilt would be perfect, but it wasn't until Ryu we had the ability to hold or tap for different tilts instead of just for different jab combos if you had that which not everyone does.

Edit: I think her "High Time" is the last hit of her Ftilt... Don't quote me on this, though. As for Utilt... With her ability to shoot after attacks, it's probably going to be like Dante's ground High Time to Ebony & Ivory juggle which would mean Bay's Utilt will probably have a 90 degree hit angle since she's shooting straight up.

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Well, don't all her tilts have combos?
I haven't played either game but does she have any moves that could be up-tilt like that don't actually put her in the air?
Sure, but given it's range/coverage, slow startup, and potentially bad endlag (for a low KB tilt) I could see it being a meh option unless already mid combo, % situational, since it prob has low KB/hitstun too.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Sure, but given it's range/coverage, slow startup, and potentially bad endlag (for a low KB tilt) I could see it being a meh option unless already mid combo, % situational, since it prob has low KB/hitstun too.
Her Utilt could be one stupid anti-air with the after-shots. She's directly below you, you think you could hit her or avoid her, but she shoots up in the sky and murders you. Hmm... perhaps like Palutena's Up Smash in usage? Trying to imagine what a perfect pivot Utilt from her would be like... She could sneak under and BAM! SWISS CHEESE! Oh, and this move would be hilarious for a game of Duck Hunt: go on Duck Hunt, only use Utilt to try and shoot ducks, tally the scores, and enjoy.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Her Utilt could be one stupid anti-air with the after-shots. She's directly below you, you think you could hit her or avoid her, but she shoots up in the sky and murders you. Hmm... perhaps like Palutena's Up Smash in usage? Trying to imagine what a perfect pivot Utilt from her would be like... She could sneak under and BAM! SWISS CHEESE! Oh, and this move would be hilarious for a game of Duck Hunt: go on Duck Hunt, only use Utilt to try and shoot ducks, tally the scores, and enjoy.
Her shots do no knockback though, so it'll hit in the air but it won't be stopping anybody coming at you from the air.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Her shots do no knockback though, so it'll hit in the air but it won't be stopping anybody coming at you from the air.
Aww... Welp, there goes that. Weird since her Bullet Climax does knockback... They probably want to prevent infinites and insane juggling, but they could launch people away enough where Bayonetta just can't reach or has to follow where they're going to do anything.

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
I cannot think of any move she has that would be her dash attack and I blame this on never finishing her game and that Bayonetta didn't have a move list outside of command like the Stinger command - blame my Devil May Cry background... Actually, now that I think of it, she had this breakdance move, but I thought that was what Dtilt was... Eh.
Break Dance does sound like a good option for Dash Attack, maybe something similar to Kirby's Dash Attack. If only the game would take a picture afterwards.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Heel Slide is giving off Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance vibes... Then again, Platinum Games has done wicked things with slide attacks like in Bayonetta, MGR where it wasn't that crazy, but was cool since you could enter Zandatsu and cut people to shreds while you slide, and Vanquish which is basically bullet time and slide the game. I cannot think of any move she has that would be her dash attack and I blame this on never finishing her game and that Bayonetta didn't have a move list outside of command like the Stinger command - blame my Devil May Cry background... Actually, now that I think of it, she had this breakdance move, but I thought that was what Dtilt was... Eh.

Now... this is probably not in Smash for balancing reasons, but what if Bayonetta has access to jump cancels... Footstools work differently, so it wouldn't exist, but imagine Bayonetta being able to jump cancel her aerials. They weren't as crazy as Dante's, but she could do them in her games.

Have you played Devil May Cry? Similar combat controls; same developers. I know she can use a sword, a katana to be exact, and she has High Time - probably not the name it's called - in her games. What I don't remember is if she could do this with her gun weapons. Thing is that High Time can be made to enter the air or not; so you could just do an uppercut or rise with it which if Bayonetta has for her Utilt, would be the coolest mechanic that I kind of wished popped up for other characters by now like Falco, Ike, Mario, the Pits, and Sonic's Utilt would be perfect, but it wasn't until Ryu we had the ability to hold or tap for different tilts instead of just for different jab combos if you had that which not everyone does.

Edit: I think her "High Time" is the last hit of her Ftilt... Don't quote me on this, though. As for Utilt... With her ability to shoot after attacks, it's probably going to be like Dante's ground High Time to Ebony & Ivory juggle which would mean Bay's Utilt will probably have a 90 degree hit angle since she's shooting straight up.

I'd guess her dash(attack) would be her panther-form, as this is what happens when you run fast in Bayonetta 1 and 2 (after gaining the ability).

Crudele

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xbulsajawnx
Would this be a good place to discuss thoughts on her moveset? Imma post mine below~

:4bayonetta:
Preface: No one will know what tier she is, what her MU's will be like, or viability until folks have spent time playing her.

Concerns:
  • Sakurai specifically mentioned that a lot of her moves are slow to start up. I believe the only example we got was that mario's ftilt beat out bayo's ftilt. Wish we had a 60fps video for frame data gathering T.T
  • While her aerial combo game looks ridiculous, they also mentioned in the video that the more specials you use in the air, the more landing lag you receive. They show a bayo landing lag of two side b's and an up b against a bayo who only used up b, and it looks pretty significant.
  • The knockback on up b looks abysmal, meaning if bayo finishes a ridiculous aerial combo with a witch twist, expect a hard punish. Looks super risk/rewardy.
  • Zoning with blap blap neutral b bullets might be difficult against short characters/crawlers. It would also be a bummer if her guns took like a full second to put away, ala falco. It wouldn't make sense though, since her guns a practically glued to her hands and heels and don't need to be holstered.
  • Wondering on how strict the witch time timing is. Considering there's a "backup" part of down b (bat within), I'd imagine it's pretty strict.
  • What are her kill moves? I feel like we only saw folks die to smash attacks during her presentation. I'd be excited if bair would do the trick.
Pretty stoked for:
  • The style
  • Witch time shenanigans. Set ups might be insane. Wondering if she can footstool someone while in WT, or if she has good jab reset moves.
  • Bat within sort of looks like a pseudo-focus attack. Could be a safe way to come back down to the stage, depending on the endlag on down b.
  • Her recovery looks redonk. But also looks ZSS-esque where if you fall pretty low without your jump, you're out of luck.
  • Cancel-able taunts. Hella mindgames.
Overall, bayo looks like she might be solid. I'm concerned about her ability to safely zone, her frame data, and her ability to kill. I don't know if she'll be the top tier people are suggesting, but frankly no one does until weeks or months after her release. (See: divided opinions on cloud right now.)

Either way, I used my single vote for bayo in smash, so I'm super excited to lab hard and pick her up as a main come february, s-tier or garbo tier.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Yeah, Witch Twist's knockback looked awful, so we'll never want to end on that. Thankfully our aerials will always be an option for a follow up. A potential devastating combo at high %'s could be Witch Twist -> After Burner Kick ->Reverse After Burner Kick -> Witch Twist -> UAir. That will be really good on Halberd if Uair has any sort of knockback.

Vinje

Smash Apprentice
Okay so in the trailer whenever we saw Bayonetta dthrow she would follow up with dsmash.
If that follow up is guaranteed as the video suggest (we don't know for sure considering varying percents and other factors) we could theoretically use this at the ledge and spike players pretty easily.

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
It would be cool if we could fin something like taunt cancels for combo useage.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Would this be a good place to discuss thoughts on her moveset? Imma post mine below~

:4bayonetta:
Preface: No one will know what tier she is, what her MU's will be like, or viability until folks have spent time playing her.

Concerns:
  • Sakurai specifically mentioned that a lot of her moves are slow to start up. I believe the only example we got was that mario's ftilt beat out bayo's ftilt. Wish we had a 60fps video for frame data gathering T.T
  • While her aerial combo game looks ridiculous, they also mentioned in the video that the more specials you use in the air, the more landing lag you receive. They show a bayo landing lag of two side b's and an up b against a bayo who only used up b, and it looks pretty significant.
  • The knockback on up b looks abysmal, meaning if bayo finishes a ridiculous aerial combo with a witch twist, expect a hard punish. Looks super risk/rewardy.
  • Zoning with blap blap neutral b bullets might be difficult against short characters/crawlers. It would also be a bummer if her guns took like a full second to put away, ala falco. It wouldn't make sense though, since her guns a practically glued to her hands and heels and don't need to be holstered.
  • Wondering on how strict the witch time timing is. Considering there's a "backup" part of down b (bat within), I'd imagine it's pretty strict.
  • What are her kill moves? I feel like we only saw folks die to smash attacks during her presentation. I'd be excited if bair would do the trick.
  • Yeah, no frame data.
  • Given how other mechanics like this work, I feel like there will be a way around this. RCO lag is pretty similar to this as it gives you extra landing lag when you land but you can cancel that with an aerial or grabbing the ledge. IDK if/how they will make aerials cancel it tho because that seems to easy.
  • From what I gathered in the direct witch twist never puts you into free fall so you can always throw out an aerial after.
  • I think we could do dtilt's bullet time to force small characters to do something. Only problem is we don't know how much end lag it has.
  • I'm really curious if the bat within works frame 1. It kind of makes sense because it would be more in line with how it worked in the games. This would make it a good combo breaker because you could bat within there move and punish there end lag or run away. It also helps that she does an actual dodge during it so you can b-reverse it and make it harder to punish.
  • I hope bair is a solid kill move. It looks to be like that but looks can be deceiving.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
It would be cool if we could fin something like taunt cancels for combo useage.
Now I wished Jetstream Sam was in Smash. He could taunt to provoke his enemies and also buff them?, but in return, he does much more damage. I guess for Smash since you're not really fighting random mooks, it could be a "line of sight" move that lets him do - I'm going to go wild here - 2.5x damage and/or knockback while taking 2.0x for the next attack. Now, from a Bayonetta and Devil May Cry (and MGR) standpoint, it makes total sense for Bayonetta to be able to cancel the entire animation of her taunts. In those games, taunts take time, so you were always able to exit out of them early, but a successful taunt in those games does something else besides attract attention: in DMC, it boosted your Style meter and restores some Devil Trigger, can't remember what it does in Bayonetta other that boost the Style meter, and MGR's outlined above. Unfortunately, we're not fighting random mooks, so it's just pure style points and baits that people probably won't take. Still, it's a little neat thing that really makes you feel like you're playing her game.

Witch Twist looks amazing for launching which not a lot of characters have... Yeah, not a lot of characters have a move like that where you rise up, but don't have much recovery or don't enter helpless. Most launchers are finishers like Blazer, Boost Kick, Farore's Wind, Shoryuken, Shuttle Loop, Spin Attack, and Super Jump Punch. So, it's meant, outside of recovering, for setting up rather than killing or finishing combos. Ugh... I do have one fear: frame 3 to 5 moves punishing her Witch Twist and interrupting her combos. The developers should know by now since the dawn of gaming that people will button-mash. Set knockback could alleviate this, but ugh... I hate that characters can interrupt moves like that and it's much worse when they're kill moves like Luigi and Yoshi's Nair, Jigglypuff's Rest, and Ryu's Shoryuken.

Also, since Bullet Arts are fixed on all of her moves... She technically always has a way to damage you from afar either with knockback or without it; so kind of like having both Falco and Fox's Blaster. She could, if we knew what move had low recovery, just use that like a Fox Blaster and use her Bullet Climax like Falco's. Pretty interesting since she's a combo-orientated character and a free-form one at that. So, Bayonetta would prefer people to be right next to her and if people feel they need to approach or end up taking too much damage while being too far away from her, Bayonetta could force people to approach. Yes, she might not have the fastest frame data, but if she's in her zone, in her game, you're going to suffer.

Note: not saying anything about tiers or whatever; just saying this is probably the type of character she is and what some of her moves could do.

Tommy - S.N.

http://i.imgur.com/QAKFpPF.gif <--- DAZ ME :]]]
NNID
TheTommy10200
Witch Twist looks amazing for launching which not a lot of characters have... Yeah, not a lot of characters have a move like that where you rise up, but don't have much recovery or don't enter helpless.
I wonder if you can use After Burner Kick after Witch Twist for recovering.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Not sure if we saw this in the trailer, but I wonder if she has that small floating air stall when she shoots in the air.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Not sure if we saw this in the trailer, but I wonder if she has that small floating air stall when she shoots in the air.
She does. You can see it when Sakurai is talking about stealing points from people during timed matches by getting last-minute hits using Bayonetta's Bullet Arts.

While Bayonetta is using her neutral air, she starts firing and simply spins in place for a second or so.

EDIT:

You sure?
Yeah. Sakurai explicitly said that After Burner Kick can be used after Witch Twist. Which is pretty cool.

Last edited:

Lakuto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lakutos
Just to have your opinions guys: Is it me or it seems like her Dtilt jablocked Link on the ground during the"Bullet art" sequence?
A thing that is usually not shown in the trailer is footstool/jablock setup. If she is combo oriented and have a potential easy move to lock with, it may improve our impression of the character...
So what do you guys think?

David Viran

Smash Lord
Just to have your opinions guys: Is it me or it seems like her Dtilt jablocked Link on the ground during the"Bullet art" sequence?
A thing that is usually not shown in the trailer is footstool/jablock setup. If she is combo oriented and have a potential easy move to lock with, it may improve our impression of the character...
I'm pretty sure it did. I also noticed the kb on bair at low percents is the type to make opponents slide of platforms when hit and get free jab locks.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
Now we just need taunt cancels and dodge offsets, like in her games hehehehe :demon:

MugenSSB

Big Meat Swangin
NNID
Daddysload
The only things i'm worried about is her landing lag on aerials and the possibility of getting hit out of her jump offstage and then dying mega early like mac.

Crudele

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xbulsajawnx
As soon as I saw this trailer, I dreamed of witch time > footstool > jablock.

Unfortunately, I don't think the bullet art dtilt jablocked the Link in the trailer. When a character gets locked, they flash white during the neutral get up animation, which I don't believe Link did. I would love to be wrong, though.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
As soon as I saw this trailer, I dreamed of witch time > footstool > jablock.

Unfortunately, I don't think the bullet art dtilt jablocked the Link in the trailer. When a character gets locked, they flash white during the neutral get up animation, which I don't believe Link did. I would love to be wrong, though.
It didn't jab lock during the trailer because they kept hitting him after with more bullets. You're only allowed to hit the opponent on the ground 3 times when jab locking or it won't force the get up.

Tommy - S.N.

http://i.imgur.com/QAKFpPF.gif <--- DAZ ME :]]]
NNID
TheTommy10200
The only things i'm worried about is her landing lag on aerials and the possibility of getting hit out of her jump offstage and then dying mega early like mac.
From the trailer it looked like bair and upair autocancel. And you can use After Burner Kick after Witch Twist, (-which Sakarai stated during the Witch Twist section,) and vice versa so recovering won't always have you resort to using your jump. So as long as After Burner Kick can ledge snap then I don't really see a problem with her recovery.

Crudele

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xbulsajawnx
It didn't jab lock during the trailer because they kept hitting him after with more bullets. You're only allowed to hit the opponent on the ground 3 times when jab locking or it won't force the get up.
Link definitely didn't get locked 3 times. When you get locked, there's a bouncing animation, Link only bounced once, when he missed the tech.

Compare the two:

What happened to Link right here looks like what happens to Diddy and ROB in the video below, rather than what happens to the Megaman right afterward.

I really don't think dtilt bullets lock :(

EDIT: Also, don't jablocks only exist because the specific moves have a specific knockback angle? Bullets don't do any knockback. Apologies for the lengthy post, I just wanted to clear that up.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Link definitely didn't get locked 3 times. When you get locked, there's a bouncing animation, Link only bounced once, when he missed the tech.

Compare the two:

What happened to Link right here looks like what happens to Diddy and ROB in the video below, rather than what happens to the Megaman right afterward.

I really don't think dtilt bullets lock :(

EDIT: Also, don't jablocks only exist because the specific moves have a specific knockback angle? Bullets don't do any knockback. Apologies for the lengthy post, I just wanted to clear that up.
Hmm. When they showed the duck hunt part where she did the dtilt bullet time the first bullet made him flinch but the rest didn't. This looks like the same case. Link flinched when on the ground at first and then immediately did a get up. Only problem is can't tell if it was forced or the link chose to do it. I think it looked more like a forced get up TBH. IIRC jab locks lock not because of the angle the move but because of the kb which the first hit of bullet time looks like it has a bit of. By kb I mean something like ness's dtilt which can jab lock.

Last edited:
Top Bottom