• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bayonetta Summons the Climax! Updated OT. - (Old Bayonetta Support Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Just felt like tweeting this to Kamiya: "Bayonetta is a very cool and sophisticated character. I think you did an excellent job with her, as well as the storyline." He replied with a happy face. I was so worried he would block me, I was sweating like a pig.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I think there should be a section detailing her position in every fan poll to date. Including the 2 or so somewhere in the pages and this one here:

14th w/o current AT's, DLCed characters and veterans....

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think there should be a section detailing her position in every fan poll to date. Including the 2 or so somewhere in the pages and this one here:

14th w/o current AT's, DLCed characters and veterans....
It's about damn time that Japan is showing some support for that witch. I was even wondering if her popularity was nonexistent from the first Japanese poll that PushDustIn ran. I don't know why, but something about her being in the Top 19 with Snake is actually kind of refreshing.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
In that poll, Bayonetta has beaten all of these:
  • Ryu (it was before he was revealed)
  • Captain Toad
  • Monster Hunter
  • Daisy
  • Bomberman
  • Ridley
  • Pokemon Trainer
Those are pretty requested characters too. So TBH she didn't do too badly. =D

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
God, time sure is going fast, I know Sophie and most of my choices may have no chance but I really wish for Bayonetta to get in.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Smashifieds hint with a particular image and saying "moon" confirms bayonetta will be smashified.

However, I got confirmation she will not be finished in time before the ballot ends, but at least it's happening...
https://twitter.com/smashified/status/643548060191191042

Sucks she won't get the influence she deserves in time. ;_;

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Altais

Smash Champion
I recognised that scene immediately. It's after you fight the evil prophet for the first time.

Sincs it's semi-related to Bayonetta, has anyone here actually seen the opera Madame Butterfly? If not, I would recommend watching it somewhere. It's a VERY sad story, and one of mine favourite operas of all time.

Hmm... I wonder how Kamiya would react to me asking him something orchestra related. I always thought it would be cool if a level in Bayonetta 3 had the below song. In mine opinion, it fits the series's dark tone nicely.

Or if one of the records you find had this song.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Even though it has little to do with Smash, I'll let you guys know about a certain assignment that I'm doing for my American Theory class. We all know that Bayonetta 2 had it's fair share of controversy for silly reasons like a sexuality or objectification regarding the black witch's abilities. So when reading a theory by Lorde about the idea of eroticism being a power for a woman instead of a weakness, Bayonetta easily came to mind. So that my main points used for this ranged from taking about how certain aspects of her character represents a feminist's idea of an ideal character or how some of her more dominant traits represents the idea of a power fantasy of women. So more or less, I'd figured I would share this with you all while we wait for the final weeks of this ballot.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
And something to ponder about.
When it comes to Kid Icarus Uprising's rating. If the main reason Japan gave a rating of B was because of Hydra's heads being taken off... according to SG's recent article about Palutena's censoring of cloth.

How come this weapon was allowed in a E10+ game, which looks to be based on a real-life weapon.

Perhaps it's because it's ridiculous unrealistic compared to the actual flintlock.
I wonder what other weapon is just as ridiculous as the Flintlock Staff.

Hmm..
I may be on to something. :estatic:

Altais

Smash Champion
Even though it has little to do with Smash, I'll let you guys know about a certain assignment that I'm doing for my American Theory class. We all know that Bayonetta 2 had it's fair share of controversy for silly reasons like a sexuality or objectification regarding the black witch's abilities. So when reading a theory by Lorde about the idea of eroticism being a power for a woman instead of a weakness, Bayonetta easily came to mind. So that my main points used for this ranged from taking about how certain aspects of her character represents a feminist's idea of an ideal character or how some of her more dominant traits represents the idea of a power fantasy of women. So more or less, I'd figured I would share this with you all while we wait for the final weeks of this ballot.
To get one thing out of the way, I judge a character by their personal traits, not their reproductive organs.

In response to "eroticism being a power", I believe that applies to both genders, not just female. The sad truth is, most people are shallow. That said, if you're the type of person whom most people would consider attractive, naturally you have the choice whether or not to use that to your advantage.

Aside from having a natural soft spot for anti-heroes, the reason I like Bayonetta as a character is because she has many complex traits that overshadow her sexuality. She is a dangerous fighter with a razor intellect, but despite her battle prowess, she's not a bully. She shows an undying devotion to those she holds dear; I especially like the strict, motherly demeanour she has toward her younger self in the first game as well as Loki in the second game. Her rivalry with Jeanne and how it steadily turns into a true friendship was also interesting to watch. Her relationship with Luka reminds me a lot of Jadzia Dax and Julian Bashir from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine; their interactions throughout both games are absolutely hilarious. Overall, she is a strong, dignified, and independent heroine whom has profound reasons for doing the things she does--and that makes for an excellent and memorable character. Her sexuality is but a small piece of her character.

In mine opinion, an "ideal character", bluntly put, is a character that stands out--and in more ways than one. It's all about a balance of quirks, flaws, and redeeming qualities.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai's 'gun problem' is pretty ironic to me, for most cases.
I believe that there are two factors that meet together to create the 'gun problem'. Those two factors would be if the guns look realistic, and shoot bullets. There has been instances of realistic looking guns represented in Smash, but they were mostly used as decoration (such as Snake's holster carrying an M9, and Captain Falcon's pistol).
upload_2015-9-18_20-10-18.jpeg

This is probably grasping at straws, but if you look at Sharla's trophy in Smash 4, you can clearly see that she carries a somewhat realistic look rifle. While it doesn't show this in Smash, this rifle shoots actual bullets. It could be argued that the rifle can shoot heal bullets, so it's ok to showcase a gun that heals things. But that doesn't change the fact that this gun can shoot 'traditional', damaging bullets to kill enemies. This was probably deemed ok because you don't actually shoot anyone with this gun in the game.
upload_2015-9-18_19-47-7.jpeg

As for Snake's final smash in Brawl, it used a grenade launcher instead of a firearm. Even though the grenade launcher looks like a realistic weapon, it's ok because it shoots explosives and not bullets. As for Duck Hunt's final smash, it gets the greenlight because while the guns do resemble real firearms and shoot bullets, they are only 8bit pixels and don't look very realistic at all.

So by using this logic, Bayonetta's guns should be fine becuase they don't resemble real firearms. If the gunshots are still too much for the rating, changing the sound of the gunshots to sound less realistic and giving them a cartoony muzzle flash (similar to Duck Hunt) should be a safe way to represent the firearms in a more rating-friendly way.

This post is pretty much me rambling and over-analyzing, so feel free to correct me if I said anything illogical :estatic:

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I believe that there are two factors that meet together to create the 'gun problem'. Those two factors would be if the guns look realistic, and shoot bullets. There has been instances of realistic looking guns represented in Smash, but they were mostly used as decoration (such as Snake's holster carrying an M9, and Captain Falcon's pistol).
View attachment 73997

This is probably grasping at straws, but if you look at Sharla's trophy in Smash 4, you can clearly see that she carries a somewhat realistic look rifle. While it doesn't show this in Smash, this rifle shoots actual bullets. It could be argued that the rifle can shoot heal bullets, so it's ok to showcase a gun that heals things. But that doesn't change the fact that this gun can shoot 'traditional', damaging bullets to kill enemies. This was probably deemed ok because you don't actually shoot anyone with this gun in the game.
View attachment 73992

As for Snake's final smash in Brawl, it used a grenade launcher instead of a firearm. Even though the grenade launcher looks like a realistic weapon, it's ok because it shoots explosives and not bullets. As for Duck Hunt's final smash, it gets the greenlight because while the guns do resemble real firearms and shoot bullets, they are only 8bit pixels and don't look very realistic at all.

So by using this logic, Bayonetta's guns should be fine becuase they don't resemble real firearms. If the gunshots are still too much for the rating, changing the sound of the gunshots to sound less realistic and giving them a cartoony muzzle flash (similar to Duck Hunt) should be a safe way to represent the firearms in a more rating-friendly way.

This post is pretty much me rambling and over-analyzing, so feel free to correct me if I said anything illogical :estatic:
I agree with all you said. If Snakes multiple weapons which look far more realistic than Bayo's guns were at one point allowed her ornamental and colorful guns should be too, at least IMHO.

They also have unusually huge bullets, but IF actually shooting them is still a problem somehow then it can still be made good enough - Bayonetta doesn't necessarily need a special move for shooting. I think by using bullets only as an visual & sound aesthetic during her punches/kicks with those flashy lines showing motion should solve all problems. The sound of her voice, guns and 'wind' sound would make the gun sounds subtle and most of the bullets could be easily covered in smash, leaving most likely more of the bullet shells falling seen than actual bullets flying through the air. It's just my take on it. :)
@Ixbran your gifs are the best to help explain such things =D

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I'm actually glad they didn't get the chance too. The voices would be annoying perhaps and I'd rather have a better character Bayo-costumed instead.

Like Palutena. Imagine that?!

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
No love for a Sami outfit? Advance Wars has a variety of weapons (firearms, machine gun, rocket launcher, etc) from the series and it literally screams "Perfect Fit" for Bayonetta. Red hair, white shirt, combat boots with stilettos, cargo pants, and a green head band is more than enough to make her a part of the Orange Star Army. :awesome:

Bayonetta Mom

Smash Rookie
NNID
bayonettamom
I'm late to the Bayonetta for Smash party I know, but I did bring caviar! ( Wolfie557 Wolfie557 's Twitter is actually how I found this so thank him)
So I have to say that even though the Bayonetta for Smash train is slowing down, Belief is yet to derail this hype train and it's not dying on my watch! So get fired up and get ready for my thoughts after reading this ENTIRE thread. I won't be quoting everything since I'm just a bit too lazy to go back and do all that so bear with me!

Someone mentioned the idea of having a Bayonetta reveal trailer featuring Palutena which I loved the idea of. Of course, if Bayonetta did end up being announced as DLC with a trailer featuring Palutena it might be a little odd but I do have some ideas for it. (And we all know Sakurai will do anything to animate some more Palutena if ya know what I mean :troll: )

I quite enjoy when the Smash trailers have little nods to the franchise the character is coming from before the character is formally revealed in the trailer, even when it ends up being short lived, since it's a nice little bit to get the fans to explode with hype. Now that I've mentioned that, I'm sure you can all guess what my idea for a Palutena v. Bayonetta trailer would be. After Palutena appears on screen and teases a bit at the soon to be reveal, the camera pans out slightly as Palutena is brought more into the foreground and appears in a book. Yep, that's right, a massive reference to the Hierarchy of Laguna. (I imagine it'd depict Palutena as though she it an Audito or perhaps a Dea but of course the Dea class if kinda used by someone else...)

The moveset in the OP seems pretty fantastic. Of course, the only move I'm iffy on is her Up Special, which should either be Crow Within or using Madama Butterfly. Of course, in Bayonetta she uses Madama Butterfly on her second jump, so if in Smash the Madama Butterfly wings appeared on the second jump as well as in her Up Special it might seem a bit odd.

I love the often pitched Magic system but at the same time I'm a bit iffy about it. While I know from most of the posts here it's described as a way to execute Torture Attacks as they are in Bayonetta, I feel that might be a bit out of place for Smash. Of course, I'm in no position to start talking about the technical limitations of the 3DS or whatever, but it is well known that it shaped the development of Smash 4 quite a bit. Personally I feel like having the magic system so when the bar fills it activates a mode akin to Umbran Climax would be more fit technically speaking, simply increasing the damage+knockback+maybe the hitboxes of moves that use Madama Butterfly or just all of her damaging moves. As I mentioned previously, I'm in no place to talk about the limitations of the tech or anything so take this with a grain of NaCl.

Now, the idea of implementing Ryu's combo system and the ability to fire guns during her combos. Personally, I feel like leaving the fancy combo stuff to Ryu and sticking with firing away with Bayonetta. I imagine as a character she'll have strong combo game, a decent recovery, but a weight that doesn't quite work in their favor. (advanced jokery 101) If that's the case, I think the ability to end off her combos by firing away would really help her out and of course stick with the theme. Essentially, it'd give her a way to quickly deal damage if an opponent is about the DI out of her combo or escape through some other means. Of course, if this is implemented I hope Sakurai is careful in making sure it's balanced because it'd be great if Bayonetta DLC came out but the mixed feels come rushing in if the first thing people do is yell for her to get nerfed.

Last but certainly not least, Witch Time. In all the move sets on here it's generally the same thing, a counter that doesn't directly deal damage but instead slows down time. I'm absolutely in love with the idea of that and depending on how quick the move would take to execute, it'd be pretty beastly. Of course, really the only thing I'd change is perhaps making the time slowdown effect stop in certain conditions. I assume that just like Witch Time within the games, the effect won't last very long but that's kind of the point behind it. However, in terms of balancing out the move, I have one little suggestion. Suppose I use Witch Time and it hits, what I propose is that if I then use my Witch Time to run away from my opponent, the Witch Time will end quicker or immediately. (I do believe a similar effect is present in Bayonetta 1 but I could be wrong.) Of course, if we're really getting creative here, we could make it similar to WFT's Deep Breathing where repeated use of it dulls the move's effects, in this case, making the Witch Time not last as long or perhaps making the counter window shorter. However, I don't believe it'd need something like that.

She won't get any because she's DLC. However, DLC fighters can equip custom equipment, and you probably see where I'm going with this. Perhaps Ninty would be kind enough to include custom equipment, I'm talking the Bloody Rose, Green Herb, and Yellow Moon lollipops. Adding them in the game as Bayonetta themed attack, speed, and defense boosts (respectively) would be a nice little touch.

This thread has sufficiently covered how and where Bayonetta should be censored and showing that she can still be her butt kicking self while remaining safe for the kiddies. Of course, thought I believe this to not be very relevant, I encourage everyone with an ESRB rated physical copy of Smash 4 to go pick up the box right now. Now flip to the back of the box and look at the ESRB rating. E10+ for this and that BUT WAIT! What is this? Right under the ESRB rating is a little bit of text... "Includes demo of a Teen rated game"...

Of course, I am unaware of whether using this as well as the "Online Interactions not rated by the ESRB" could be used to get us a less toned down Bayonetta. I am however positive that the CERO and PEGI do not operate in the exact same way and I doubt Ninty would make a region exclusive version of a DLC. However, perhaps keep it in mind.

This Bayonetta hype train is going STRAIGHT to Paradiso and I mean that in the best way possible!
Perhaps the only cure for the lack of Bayonetta supporters is more dead angels!
But hey, thanks for reading my ramblings lovelies!

Also, apologies if I got a bit too technical in my move set critique for some people. But hey, why not start speculating her frame data amirite? :troll:

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Loved the read. And your welcome.

I also want up special to be the crow. I'd like all beast transformations to be included... even the bats and the snake.

Bayonetta Mom

Smash Rookie
NNID
bayonettamom
I just now occurred to me that her roll/spot dodge could be Bat Within. Of course, I'm not really certain where the Snake Within could fit in (swimming animation? :drohmy:) of course, while making sense in the canon. Well, not saying that Smash never takes creative liberties (which is CERTAINLY does).
Panther Within as a running animation, Crow Within as her up special, Bat Within as her roll/dodge, and Snake Within as... something. Of course if Bayo's Jeanne costume switched everything over to their respective Beast Withins for Jeanne that'd be the best thing ever. (And make the theoretical DLC a massive download)

Altais

Smash Champion
I could see the Crow Within functioning very similarly to Palutena's Jump Glide, but with more offensive properties. I've always imagined it would start with the spiraling jump, which would deal multiple hits. After that, you slowly descend--and while you descend, you can summon the feather blades, which you can use either as a shield or homing projectiles.

I could see the Bat Within serving as Bayonetta's dodge animations.

The Panther Within could serve as a horizontal recovery. If used in the air, instead of jumping, Bayonetta would just take a long leap--and if you press the attack button at just the right time, you'll deal a lethal claw attack.

As for the Eel, I don't know how that would work, since in Bayonetta 2 it only worked under water. Perhaps when swimming in the water, it could just act as a substitute for the Panther.

Bayonetta Mom

Smash Rookie
NNID
bayonettamom
First off, this is the 1000th post so SURELY that means something... no? Okay. But getting back to the topic at hand, it'd be pretty interesting if Snake replaced Panther when in water considering it'd be a pretty nice detail. Of course, I don't think there are any characters who have their moves change when in water which would be a pretty interesting though underutilized mechanic. Of course really the only water in Smash is on Delfino but hey, what character has a huge advantage on Delfino? That's right, Zero Suit Samus. And hey, anything to make people whine about ZSS and Bayonetta being too similar amirite? :troll:

Also,

I regret nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom