• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Battlefield of the Gods - Pit / Dark Pit Matchup Discussion *Corrin, Samus, Shulk*

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
K
I played a GnW today. That dash attack and Up smash is annoying! Makes it kinda hard to land.

I think we should duel some mains of :4gaw::4peach::4rob: and see what we learn. That's what I'll be doing at least.

:150:
I can't do that now since my TV's broken and isn't getting fixed until Tuesday, but I faced a ROB main a while back and I had no issue. The orbitars are surprisingly effective against ROB's u-air.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I have a couple things to say about the ROB mu:

Placing a gyro at the ledge of the stage might not be as threatening as it looks. I've rolled onto the ledge with no issue. Of course rolling onto the ledge may get us punished with a f-smash from ROB, but then again how deadly are any of his punishes are in this scenario? The most he could do is launch us a good distance away, but it won't really do much. Maybe jumping from the ledge and then [maybe] using orbitars would work. Speaking of orbitars, you can use them to land against ROB's u-air since his u-air will just flail when hitting our orbitars and we'll land safely afterwards. Also something else I noticed about orbitars in general is that you can move around in the air with them. They're very good against ROB since none of his aerials autocancel reliably, so landing without a gyro will be difficult for him. Just a couple notes I've taken in the MU. I remember playing against a ROB player at an Anther's Ladder tourney a few weeks ago and my pits did well against him. I switched to Pit assuming the MU would go better since he rekt my Sonic in the first match and sent me to losers. But then he got kicked down to losers and in the losers finals I switched to Pit and Dark Pit simultaneously and won the set. They were some really good games in the tourney.

useredsa

Smash Cadet
I have a couple things to say about the ROB mu:

Placing a gyro at the ledge of the stage might not be as threatening as it looks. I've rolled onto the ledge with no issue. Of course rolling onto the ledge may get us punished with a f-smash from ROB, but then again how deadly are any of his punishes are in this scenario? The most he could do is launch us a good distance away, but it won't really do much. Maybe jumping from the ledge and then [maybe] using orbitars would work. Speaking of orbitars, you can use them to land against ROB's u-air since his u-air will just flail when hitting our orbitars and we'll land safely afterwards. Also something else I noticed about orbitars in general is that you can move around in the air with them. They're very good against ROB since none of his aerials autocancel reliably, so landing without a gyro will be difficult for him. Just a couple notes I've taken in the MU. I remember playing against a ROB player at an Anther's Ladder tourney a few weeks ago and my pits did well against him. I switched to Pit assuming the MU would go better since he rekt my Sonic in the first match and sent me to losers. But then he got kicked down to losers and in the losers finals I switched to Pit and Dark Pit simultaneously and won the set. They were some really good games in the tourney.
Well, he can easily upsmash you if you roll, and that kills... a lot.

useredsa

Smash Cadet
Actually unless if his timing is perfect we should have just enough time to shield his u-smash. If not then he may be too early and the u-smash will whiff and miss.
Apart from the fact of timing an smash, which is fairly simple in my opinion; what's the difference between timing fsmash vs timing upsmash? Btw, the rob I play aggainst usually times it with no problem.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Apart from the fact of timing an smash, which is fairly simple in my opinion; what's the difference between timing fsmash vs timing upsmash? Btw, the rob I play aggainst usually times it with no problem.
Then you're probably to impatient with rolling from the ledge. Also, have you tried jumping from the ledge? I clearly stated that that's another viable option against a gyro.

useredsa

Smash Cadet
Then you're probably to impatient with rolling from the ledge. Also, have you tried jumping from the ledge? I clearly stated that that's another viable option against a gyro.
You get hit when jumping. I find the best to drop jump and press grab to get the gyro and inmediately throw it. If you airdodge you land with lag.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Man these MU boards are inactive around this time. Not just this one, but I've seen several other MU boards pretty inactive, but I digress.

I faced a Peach player today and I realized how much the orbitars can hurt her. Peach is pretty reliant on her air game and the orbitars are very pushy against characters with air games, with Peach probably being the weakest against them (either her or Jiggs). I can't help but say that we have the advantage. Not only that, but we can kill her with relative ease. Due to her trouble landing, u-smash is also really dangerous against her. The best tool she has against us is her comboing (which again is still weak against orbitars outside of grabs and if she has a turnip) and her platform utility. Her recovery is also easy for us to edgeguard with arrows, orbitars, or aerials. This may sound like a bunch of simplifications but I can't help but say we have the advantage in this MU. Obviously her combo game is still something to be feared and turnips can be a nuisance at times, but aside from that there's not much she can do against us.

:4pit::4darkpit:(65:35):4peach:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I played the peach MU the other day and find it annoying actually. Her float really disrupts my strings and juggles. And that fair hurts so much.

I haven't used orbies on her tho.

Last edited:

GP2

Smash Apprentice
We've been discussing Peach and Rob a lot but does anyone know anything about the game and watch matchup? To be honest. I haven't played a decent G&W since I stoped playing for glory regularly but I'd give us a solid +1 on the matchup. I never had much trouble with him. You just have to be careful not to camp so much with arrows.

Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
We've been discussing Peach and Rob a lot but does anyone know anything about the game and watch matchup? To be honest. I haven't played a decent G&W since I stoped playing for glory regularly but I'd give us a solid +1 on the matchup. I never had much trouble with him. You just have to be careful not to camp so much with arrows.
Yeah not sure why people wanted G&W at first; really only GimR plays him consistently and Anther's Ladder is certainly not helping me with the MU since no one there plays him.

In theory we could use uncharged arrows as bait and come in with a punish due to the end lag of the bucket, plus the oil spill really isn't going to kill us anyway.

Last edited:

GP2

Smash Apprentice
Yeah not sure why people wanted G&W at first; really only GimR plays him consistently and Anther's Ladder is certainly not helping me with the MU since no one there plays him.

In theory we could use uncharged arrows as bait and come in with a punish due to the end lag of the bucket, plus the oil spill really isn't going to kill us anyway.
Yeah I want to talk about some other MU's. I think wario and luigi are good ones to discuss and I think we should rediscuss falcon like we did diddy because no one really said anything about him. Also I know it's early but I've played a bunch of good Clouds and I have a lot to say about our matchup with him.

Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Yeah I want to talk about some other MU's. I think wario and luigi are good ones to discuss and I think we should rediscuss falcon like we did diddy because no one really said anything about him. Also I know it's early but I've played a bunch of good Clouds and I have a lot to say about our matchup with him.
PREACH!

Seriously though, I don't understand why we don't discuss the cloud MU; I am sick of all the cloud players always on Anther's Ladder. I'd also like to discuss the Yoshi MU because he is my least favorite charcter to fight pre-cloud.

useredsa

Smash Cadet
I find the gaw mu -1 or even. His dash attack, upsmash, dtilt and bucket are really good moves; and the fact that he combos us hard but we can't combo him because his floaty makes it really hard.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I find the gaw mu -1 or even. His dash attack, upsmash, dtilt and bucket are really good moves; and the fact that he combos us hard but we can't combo him because his floaty makes it really hard.
We actually don't have trouble with comboing him at all, and have you ever tried baiting his bucket? It has a ton of end lag which gives us an opportunity to punish. His dash attack can get annoying but is really not a bother and it's the same with d-tilt, only that move is unsafe on shield. We can also kill him very easily due to his weight, especially with a smash attack. Also, his bucket isn't that fatal against us at all since our arrows make the oil spill a fairly weak attack.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Game & Watch is an interesting character to fight against. Try to sweet spot the ledge. Otherwise, you could get stage spiked by Game & Watch's dash attack (similar to how Marios dash attack functions). When it comes to G&W's uair, respect it and land safely as far away from G&W as possible. Airdodging won't really help you out, since the uair comes out quick and they can still stall you in the air. Once G&W stalls you in the air, respect it until your getting closer to the ground. Watch out for his key (dair), as it can potentially spike you (if sweetspotted) on the stage. Of course, G&W has his dthrow combos, so be wary of that as well. What the matchup comes right down to is a spacing game. If you can out space G&W and bait out his attacks, you should be able to win the match. Don't bother pressuring G&W offstage with arrows, thanks to the bucket. Most of the time, your going to want to stay grouded because G&W has a terrible ground game, but in the air, G&W is far superior due to having a ton of range and excellent air speed. Carefully look at their movement patterns and you should be able to catch their landings with your usmash, or uair/fairs. When recovering, mix it up by grabbing the ledge diagonally, so Game&Watch can't drop down and stage spike you with the turtle (bair). Also, I reccomend going under the line of the ledge with the side B to avoid the nasty range G&W's fsmash has.

As Viridi would say, "Watch out for the #9, Pit". ;)

After playing with some of the G&W players in my region, I want to say the MU is 55:45 Pit's favor.

:4gaw: 55:45

Last edited:

CHOMPY

NNID
Chompy621
Haha, I wasn't thinking as I was typing out the analysis on the fly.

Before we close out the matchups, does anyone have an objection on these matchup ratios below?

:4gaw: +1
:4peach: +1
:4rob: -1

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Haha, I wasn't thinking as I was typing out the analysis on the fly.

Before we close out the matchups, does anyone have an objection on these matchup ratios below?

:4gaw: +1
:4peach: +1
:4rob: -1
I'd personally swap Peach and R.O.B., but I don't really know enough about the matchups to have an informed opinion.

Truth be told, I'm not a fan of assigning matchup scores to characters we've barely discussed. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to just keep it blank for now and come back to it when there's more data to assess?

Just my two cents. It's your call, of course.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Wintropy Wintropy - Can you be more specific to which characters we've barely discussed?
I'm specifically referring to the ones we've been discussing most recently (Peach, R.O.B., Mr Game & Watch). I think it'd be much more productive if we got people who play these characters involved, rather than just discussing it amongst ourselves - otherwise it's kinda just an echo chamber, and that isn't going to yield much in the way of useful data.

Not to say that anything that has been said is wrong or unhelpful, just that I think we need an alternate perspective if we're going to disseminate ideas. I would love to know what experienced Peach, R.O.B. and Geedubz players think of the matchup.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I don't quite agree with ROB being a -1. Orbitars can help against the u-airs, but then again they can easily bait you into sending them out and punishing, but I say that it's an even MU since we can combo him hard.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Hi guys, looks like I've been summoned. I used to beat Chompy in this match up often until recently when I was 2-0'd I used to think that ROB wins the match up solidly but I think it's even. I think Pit can combo and frame trap ROB at any %. I still think ROB outcamps him but if you're good at power shielding (which you should be) it gets really difficult for ROB to keep Pit away and stop him from grabbing him.

NoahZark

Smash Cadet
NNID
KannonPhodder
3DS FC
2191-7704-4327
So I'm going to throw in my 2 cents here on these 3 matchups.

Peach is a definite +1 matchup for Pit, in my opinion. Peach has a hard time landing against Pit, because Pits uair beats out Peach's dair. The combo game is also in Pits favor, because Peach's floatiness makes her pretty easy to combo, and Pit can jump out of most of Peach's combos easily. The main thing is to watch out for Peach's fair and any potential jank from her turnip pulls.

I believe that the ROB matchup is a +1 in Pits favor. ROB is combo phodder, and is pretty easy to edgeguard. And something to keep in mind is that his gyro on the ledge is just as effective on every other character as it is on Pit, so if it was an unbeatable strategy, he'd be considered top tier or at least much better. My advice in the matchup is to keep the pressure on ROB as much as possible and try to keep ROB in the air (I wouldn't take this too seriously, because I have very, very little experience in this matchup).

Out of these 3, Game and Watch is probably the worst matchup for Pit. That being said, I still think it's a +/-0. G&Ws edgeguarding skills are effective against Pit and he is almost impossible to edgeguard. Also, Pit is comboed pretty heavily by G&W, and he has a lot of trouble landing. That being said, Pit does have a couple positive tools in this matchup. Pit is much faster than G&W, which make a rush-down playstyle effective. And if you don't feel confident about that, Pit's footsies in neutral are better than G&W, because his tilts are faster and have more range. Also, G&W is light. Like, really light. Pit has no trouble killing in this matchup (I've even killed a G&W at 80% before). And early kills like that can really shift the tide of a match on your favor.

My recommendation in the matchup against all these characters is to just play aggressive, keep the opponent in the air, and then try to read an air dodge to get a kill.

GP2

Smash Apprentice
So I'm going to throw in my 2 cents here on these 3 matchups.

Peach is a definite +1 matchup for Pit, in my opinion. Peach has a hard time landing against Pit, because Pits uair beats out Peach's dair. The combo game is also in Pits favor, because Peach's floatiness makes her pretty easy to combo, and Pit can jump out of most of Peach's combos easily. The main thing is to watch out for Peach's fair and any potential jank from her turnip pulls.

I believe that the ROB matchup is a +1 in Pits favor. ROB is combo phodder, and is pretty easy to edgeguard. And something to keep in mind is that his gyro on the ledge is just as effective on every other character as it is on Pit, so if it was an unbeatable strategy, he'd be considered top tier or at least much better. My advice in the matchup is to keep the pressure on ROB as much as possible and try to keep ROB in the air (I wouldn't take this too seriously, because I have very, very little experience in this matchup).

Out of these 3, Game and Watch is probably the worst matchup for Pit. That being said, I still think it's a +/-0. G&Ws edgeguarding skills are effective against Pit and he is almost impossible to edgeguard. Also, Pit is comboed pretty heavily by G&W, and he has a lot of trouble landing. That being said, Pit does have a couple positive tools in this matchup. Pit is much faster than G&W, which make a rush-down playstyle effective. And if you don't feel confident about that, Pit's footsies in neutral are better than G&W, because his tilts are faster and have more range. Also, G&W is light. Like, really light. Pit has no trouble killing in this matchup (I've even killed a G&W at 80% before). And early kills like that can really shift the tide of a match on your favor.

My recommendation in the matchup against all these characters is to just play aggressive, keep the opponent in the air, and then try to read an air dodge to get a kill.

Well said I agree with all of this. One question I would like to ask not to you specifically but to everyone. Should we consider giving Dark Pit the +1 in the Game and Watch matchup because of the extra kill power? With the buff Electro shock can kill G&W as early as 50%(assuming rage, freshness and no/poor di) with consistent kills most likely at 75% and above. Pit's arrows won't be too helpful vs G&W because of the bucket so for once I think Dark Pit has the advantage.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Well said I agree with all of this. One question I would like to ask not to you specifically but to everyone. Should we consider giving Dark Pit the +1 in the Game and Watch matchup because of the extra kill power? With the buff Electro shock can kill G&W as early as 50%(assuming rage, freshness and no/poor di) with consistent kills most likely at 75% and above. Pit's arrows won't be too helpful vs G&W because of the bucket so for once I think Dark Pit has the advantage.
No.

1. Because for the hundredth time the bucket has enough end lag for us to bait it and punish and even so, THE ARROWS IN THE BUCKET AREN'T STRONG ENOUGH FOR US TO DIE FROM THE OIL SPILL!!!!!! I am so tired of having to say this with no one understanding the world's simplest concept of bait and punish, and Pit is good at that against G&W. One thing to do is maneuver the arrows around G&W at close range which will force him to deploy the bucket; it takes nearly a second and a half for him to put the bucket away, and it takes longer on the ground.

2. Upperdash is still a viable kill option, not as early as Dark Pit, but still in general.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
No.

1. Because for the hundredth time the bucket has enough end lag for us to bait it and punish and even so, THE ARROWS IN THE BUCKET AREN'T STRONG ENOUGH FOR US TO DIE FROM THE OIL SPILL!!!!!! I am so tired of having to say this with no one understanding the world's simplest concept of bait and punish, and Pit is good at that against G&W. One thing to do is maneuver the arrows around G&W at close range which will force him to deploy the bucket; it takes nearly a second and a half for him to put the bucket away, and it takes longer on the ground.

2. Upperdash is still a viable kill option, not as early as Dark Pit, but still in general.
That said, I think Pitto will be the prefered angel of choice

GP2

Smash Apprentice
That said, I think Pitto will be the prefered angel of choice

I looked at the math on G&W's bucket and it would actually be easier for G&W to kill with Dark pit's arrows in the bucket because of the extra damage and the fact that we're more likely to charge dark pit's arrows since we can't angle them. 3 fully charged arrows in the bucket from either pit or dark pit is an instant kill.

CHOMPY

NNID
Chompy621
To get this MU thread going. I'm going to close up the discussion to declare the MU ratio on the front page and start a new character discussion.

As of this post, we are going to discuss these characters for the week.

:4villager:
:rosalina:
:4palutena:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
We need more information on how the matchup flows out and how Cloud actually plays. Give it some time for the meta to develop.
Fair enough. Though tbh this caught me off guard because not only was this updated right when I just mentioned you in the Sonic social thread, but also because we never took a vote on who to discuss like what we've done in the past. But if it means keeping this thread moving, then I guess it's for the best.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Good choices. Can't say much for Villager, but I know a few Rosalinas and dabble in Palutena, so here's what I think:

:4palutena:

- Palutena's neutral is straightforward but reasonably effective. She will try to space and poke with f-air, b-air and dash attack, occasionally throwing in jab as a mixup. She has good run speed and burst options out of dash (b-air and dash grab especially). She wants to get the grab, as that is the crux of her gameplan: she will turtle if she needs to and respond to pressure with invincible b-air and dash attack, then jab or grab at openings to catch us.

- Jab confirms into grab if it connects. Jab is f8, not the fastest, but it's disjointed and is an effective mixup if she has conditioned you to approach carefully in neutral. Multi-jab is good for catching rolls and spotdodges, but does not confirm into grab.

- Grab, dash grab and pivot grab are all effective options in neutral. She will often punish with grab in neutral if she can. She doesn't have the fastest grabs, but they have good range and set up for a variety of followups.

- She can use just about any aerial out of d-throw, depending on percentage, rage and DI. B-air and u-air can both kill, so try to avoid those with DI if possible. If you have to get hit by something (and you quite often will), try to DI away from her so she can only use f-air or n-air: it will do some damage, but it won't kill you. If she reads that you will DI away or airdodge immediately after d-throw, she can followup with (running) u-smash - this is very rare, but possible if you don't mix up your reaction to d-throw.

- Try to avoid getting grabbed wherever possible, but understand that it's a fundamental part of her gameplan and a good Palutena will know how to read and condition you to get the grab whenever it's a viable option.

- Her edgeguarding is decent too, with n-air and b-air both potentially setting up for wall spikes, u-air trading with most options and d-air having a spike hitbox (albeit for one frame). She can't go too deep to edgeguard, but her disjointed moves and intangible recovery mean she isn't at too much of a risk if she tries to intercept Pit's easily-traced recovery.

- If you're off-stage and especially if you're trying to recover, watch out for her ledge-cancel: it can set up for a d-air spike or other shenanigans and is an effective mixup option on stages with platforms.

- Her options in neutral are quite fast and can be pressuring, so don't try to force anything you're not comfortable with. Most of her grounded moves have good startup but noticeable endlag, so don't be afraid to punish with dash attack or other quick, non-committal moves to make things difficult for her. Try to use safer moves so you don't get baited and punished (dash attack, d-tilt, autocanceled aerials, etc) and mix it up so she can't respond effectively every time. Side-b is a good mixup option if she is being too aggressive or unsafe, but otherwise I would save it as a Hail Mary or for catching landings and punishing smashes.

- Beyond her neutral game, she doesn't have much to threaten us. Her advantage is so-so at best, with only a handful of moves really being effective to pressure or kill (b-air and u-air especially, the latter can make it difficult to land with Pit's poor airspeed), and she otherwise struggles to get the kill: with no reliable confirms except a possible d-throw followup in b-air or u-air and laggy, punishable smashes, she will have to work hard to seal the stock. The options she does have (smashes, dash attack, b-air and u-air in neutral / advantage) are very powerful and shouldn't be disregarded entirely, but you should never feel helpless against them either: not having good confirms means she only so many options to really threaten your stock, everything else is avoidable with patience and effective play.

- She doesn't have much options to reset to neutral, except for her invincible f8 b-air and possibly Warp, so don't be afraid to press home the advantage if you can. She should not try to land safely, because that can be punished with Pit's u-smash, and will instead either try to push you back with her aerials or Warp to safety. If she can Warp onto a platform, she can ledge-cancel to quickly reset.

- Edeguarding is a bit trickier, since she can just Warp back to the edge if she gets an opportunity, but pushing her out can make it difficult or impossible for her to recover. Again, b-air and u-air, but Orbitars may be useful in this matchup if she tries to pressure you right back and has the potential to push her out where she can't recover.

- Play a steady game and don't get too hungry for the kill: while Palutena doesn't have the best kill options or setups, she is good at punishing mistakes and can play a good defensive game if you let her. Try to keep the pressure on her without getting too aggressive and remember that our punish options are just as good as hers. Winning neutral should not be too difficult if we make use of our own disjoints and footsies options, and you can effectively pressure her in advantage and reset to neutral if you understand what she can do and don't get baited into falling into her trap.

I think this is a +1 or possibly a +2 matchup for Pit. Palutena does have options and she can be tricky to fight in neutral, but patient play and understanding how and when to press the advantage can make it very manageable, and Pit has more than enough tools to deal with her divine shenanigans.

- First off: Dark Pit is objectively superior in this matchup. If you have to fight Rosie, you should seriously consider using Dark Pit, even if you'd otherwise play Pit. Electroshock makes this matchup significantly more bearable and arrows will seldom be useful in the first place, so he has a noticeable advantage over Pit in this matchup. That said, I'm going to presume (unless otherwise stated) you're playing Dark Pit. I will make a brief point about their respective options at the end, just in case you do decide to go Pit.

- Dark Pit's Electroshock is great in this matchup. It's one of the best guaranteed Luma killers you could hope for and makes things much more even. Your first priority, therefore, should be to kill Luma: irrespective of Rosie's percentage, Electroshock can knock Luma off-stage and send it into a fatal tumble animation from just past the mid-point of most stages. Try to aim for the side that Rosie is closest to and get rid of it as quickly and efficiently as possible. If you're facing the right direction and are in any way close to the edge, Electroshock should knock Luma off-stage in one hit. That gives you about 12 seconds of one-on-one time with Rosie to press home the advantage. Use it wisely, and don't be afraid to go for Electroshock again whenever you need to: just be careful that you don't get too aggressive with it and try to use it as a crossup or mixup.

- You will probably get punished for using Electroshock, at least at low percents. This is something that you will have to deal with, and it's really not a heavy price to pay for negating Rosie's main weapon: if Rosie is shielding, she can grab or punish with an OOS aerial or u-smash, neither of which will really have a noticeable impact at low percents, or she can punish with a dash attack or possibly a smash of her choice if Luma is disconnected from her and she can rush in on time to get the punish. Remember that shielding will not defend Luma, so don't be afraid to eat an OOS punish if that's what it takes. When you get to higher percents, and if Rosie decides to be more careful with how she uses Luma, you will want to weigh up your options and decide if it's best to risk potential punishment to weaken Rosie. You don't have to kill Luma, it's often better to just play the neutral and go for Electroshock without making it a priority, but keep an eye out for opportunities and decide when it's safest to use it. It really does make a difference in this matchup, and the two are much more evenly matched when they're on their own.

- Rosie is no pushover without Luma, remember that! She's still got a ton of disjointed options, reasonably strong smashes and a decent neutral game to keep you on your toes. It's not uncommon for neutral with SoRo to become a patient game of playing careful footsies and trading disjoints, but remember that she is still weakened in this state and you should not be afraid to pressure her with whatever you've got. Space her out with autocanceled aerials and pivots, going for the grab if possible, and don't let yourself get punished. Rosie's still fast and strong even by herself and she is more than capable of punishing you if she gets the chance, so find a good balance between offensive play and patient poking to get her defenses down.

- She may decide to play more defensively and stall the clock if she's by herself, so don't be afraid to pressure her and make her respect your neutral game if she doesn't want to commit to the fight. While she can punish you consistently if she gets the chance, remember that this is your time, so make the best of it!

- Grab is an effective option as always, but Rosie's gravity makes it trickier to get most of our best followups our of throws: d-throw -> u-smash stops working very quickly due to her floatiness, so it may be best to go for d-throw -> u-air instead if you can, and it can be difficult to keep her in combo strings that would work on faster-falling characters. Go for the grab if you can, just remember to mixup your followups to compensate for her stature.

- If possible, don't position yourself directly above her: u-air will make it difficult to land if you're trying to get down from overhead, and especially if she has the advantage, she can keep pressuring you with u-air and potentially take your stock with it. If she gets you overhead and you have to reset, don't airdodge - she will read it and punish you for it, and that can be fatal if you're at high percents or on a stage with a low ceiling. Pittoo's airspeed isn't great either, making it difficult to jump out of the way, so your best bet is to either read her u-air and airdodge at the right time or use Orbitars to descend safely.

- By the same token, it can be difficult to pressure Rosie from beneath (with u-smash or u-air, for example), since d-air is a relatively safe disjoint and can interrupt our punishes. Don't get too hungry for the punish right away, instead try to bait her into committing to something and then punish that instead.

- She has an easier time edgeguarding Pittoo than he has edgeguarding her, since her recovery is about as effective as his and she has bigger disjoints in u-air and d-air. If she gets you off-stage, don't bother trying to fight back: just get back to the stage as efficiently as you can and priorities avoiding unnecessary damage. If you get her off-stage, and because her best aerial disjoints only hit overhead and beneath her, you can trade with her nair and f-air with our own f-air. Don't bother trying to d-air spike her off-stage, her u-air makes it too risky an option. Both her recovery and Pittoo's can be easily traced and intercepted: try to recover in a way that helps you return safely when you're off-stage, and when she's off-stage, cover the ledge to keep her from recovering safely (n-air is a good option, since it has a wide, lingering hitbox that can catch her when she travels). The main crux of this fight will be on-stage, so don't feel too pressured to challenge her off-stage if you're not comfortable with it - just remember that she can stall off-stage to wait for Luma to regenerate, so be ready to challenge her if you have to.

- When Luma is in play, you're going to need to be more defensive and patient until you can find a good time to knock it out. Don't rush in or try to force anything, you'll just get blindsided by Rosie's sentient stonewall: instead, bide your time and pressure from a safe distance, poking with aerials and throwing out arrows to soften it up. Rosie can't commit to much either, since the threat of Electroshock is ever-present, so the neutral can become something of a stalemate where both try to force the other into making the first move. If you're feeling pressured or have a good lead in percentage, it may be pragmatic to just go for the Electroshock kill and force Rosie into disadvantage. Both Rosie and Pittoo have to respect the other in neutral, since they both have a secret weapon that can really threaten the other and potentially neutralise their best options: being able to break through that wall of respect and go for the kill may well be the best thing to do in certain situations, and if you're confident that you can take whatever punishment you may receive for it, Electroshock will be your best friend and the defining trait of your gameplan in this matchup.

- Pit isn't nearly as good a choice in this matchup, since the only notable advantages her has are his arrows and the sweetspot on f-tilt: while f-tilt can be a decent and relatively safe kill option in its own right, it may well have to go through Luma to be effective and it doesn't make up for the option to negate a good deal of Rosie's options whenever the opportunity presents itself. Arrows can be useful for sniping Rosie and racking up damage, due to her tall hitbox and the fact that they can dodge Luma if they're directed well, but Gravitational Pull will absorb most of them if Rosie gets the chance, and again, it's not a worthwhile trade. Upperdash isn't a bad option by any means, and it's still a strong kill option in neutral, but the fact that it sends Luma straight upwards means it won't kill it as effectively as Electroshock and it's about as good as Electroshock is for killing Rosie. There's no reason why you should pick Pit over Pittoo in this matchup if you want to be more effective, Pittoo is easily the better choice.

This is one of the few matchups where there's a significant difference between the two Pits and where you will want to use one over the other in just about every way. For that reason, I think this matchup is 0 for Pit and +1 for Dark Pit.

CHOMPY

NNID
Chompy621
Maybe what we should be is have a different colors for Pit and Dark Pit for the matchup ratios on the chart. Have all of the lighter colors for Pit and have the darker shade colors for Dark Pit.

For example:
0/+1

DialNouns

Smash Cadet
NNID
NiallDownes95
Saw Wintropy Wintropy posting and so hopped in here to confirm what they say about the matchup.

When a Pitoo user plays well, Luma is never around, meaning rosa has to deal with a disjoint without her meatshield.
Pit lacks the ability to level the playing field in this way.
Dark Pit is absolutely more effective in this matchup. I'd hesitate to say he "beats" rosa, but it's probably even.

Last edited:
Top Bottom