• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banned Online

fehector

Smash Cadet
It could be technically the same server but the people are only able to encounter other people, with the same penalty status. Didnt you say, you were banned too 1FN0?!

Its allmost 1 week for me, maybe i should go check out, how the things are.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
It could be technically the same server but the people are only able to encounter other people, with the same penalty status. Didnt you say, you were banned too 1FN0?!
I do not know if I am banned but it seems that I am banned because he average time that I need to find an opponent in FG 1v1 has greatly increased.

However I never used offensive names or messages in Smash 4, so if I am banned it is probably because some people did not handle losing very well.

I think that the banning system should be replaced with a good matchmaking system. That way people will get matched up with other people that have about the same skill which may prevent saltiness. And if it does not then some players would just have to develop a more stable personality which I think is very reasonable to expect of them.

Last edited:

fehector

Smash Cadet
Hi, my beloved smash brothers. I am unbanned again, after only 1 week. rjpugek u were right, i was probably reportet the last time in the hell, this time i played only vs 1 game and 4 games, so there was less chance.

I am taking the enemies apart, pls dont report me little losers band.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
@ 1FC0 1FC0 @rjpageuk @ fehector fehector
Hey, I don't know if you guys are still dealing with this banned issue anymore, but if yes, call Nintendo.
1 (800) 255-3700
Please, please, please.
It's really important that anyone who is dealing with this let's get bombarded with calls.

1. If all it takes to get banned are reports that aren't reviewed, that's a flawed system.
2. There should be better transparency. When you were banned, why, and for how long. The fact that they don't tell you is proof they don't even know why you got banned. It's automated.

Call, complain, mention the two points I made. Just drive it into their skulls that this is not how you run an online service.

Heck, even when I called, the guy I talked to was like "even xbox and playstation don't have these silly policies"

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I'll just throw in my .2. into the water fountain here.

I believe there should be a ban only if there is inflammatory comments or threats thrown around online. Bans that last up to an hour for voluntarily DCing are ridiculous and the bans should have redirected notice to more serious matters, like what I stated above. DCing voluntarily is like DCing and making it No Contest with your friends, you're just doing it on a different level.

Honestly though, who's going to wait 30 minutes to play again? Work on that Nintendo, please. Thanks.

1FC0

Smash Lord
DCing should be an instant loss without ban . Because D/Cing is just forfeiting which should be allowed.

Since it seems that the report function is being used for revenge and since I prefer being insulted over getting banned for being too good I would like the report function to go too.

BTW I am getting more opponents so it seems I am remved from banland. It still takes a few minutes sometimes though but that is OK.

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
DCing should be an instant loss without ban . Because D/Cing is just forfeiting which should be allowed.

Since it seems that the report function is being used for revenge and since I prefer being insulted over getting banned for being too good I would like the report function to go too.

BTW I am getting more opponents so it seems I am remved from banland. It still takes a few minutes sometimes though but that is OK.
Could just be that more and more people are being banned thus it's easier to find people.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman

I believe there should be a ban only if there is inflammatory comments or threats thrown around online. Bans that last up to an hour for voluntarily DCing are ridiculous and the bans should have redirected notice to more serious matters, like what I stated above. DCing voluntarily is like DCing and making it No Contest with your friends, you're just doing it on a different level.

Honestly though, who's going to wait 30 minutes to play again? Work on that Nintendo, please. Thanks.
And if there is a ban, make it obvious.
Many of us stuck in ban land don't even know it because there is no notification nor is there a timer telling you how long you've been in for nor is there a notification saying what you even did in the first place leaving me to assume that no one monitors the report function.

It's gotta be a glitch in the ban system.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1

Exactly, except I wouldn't consider it neither a win or a loss, more like "No Contest," even if you're just playing with strangers online.

And what is this "Report" button people keep talking about? I don't see it in the game, is it a Miiverse thing?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Exactly, except I wouldn't consider it neither a win or a loss, more like "No Contest," even if you're just playing with strangers online.
No because then many would D/C in order to avoid a loss which would be annoying.
And what is this "Report" button people keep talking about? I don't see it in the game, is it a Miiverse thing?
On the 3DS you must touch their profile after the game on the results screen and then you can use y to report.

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman

Quitting online is something that needs to be discouraged. Losing, and then taking away the other persons' chance to close out the win to make it real is bad sportsmanship.

With that said, the penalty is a bit much. I think 10 min for a 1st time offender (or 1st time in 6 months). The only DC I have is because we (doubles) were being interrupted constantly and I instinctively pressed pause... which obviously didn't work. I think I panicked and press buttons to counter something before the brain consciously realized I needed to "unpause."

In the grand scheme of things the honest mistake penalty sucked and I'd of liked to have been able to get back into it... but with that said me eating that is worth it if it means it discourages those who do it maliciously.

I play an online flash game that doesn't do anything about leavers and the amount of items I have been screwed over by "waa I didn't get the job I want!!" or "Well it is now boring, so I am going to make a team mate useless" just sucks. Glad at least something is done here...

Though the non DC ban's are out of control if what I am reading is right.

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Mmm, 10 minutes if there really needs to be a ban for voluntary DC's is suitable. Not 30, not 50, not 60+.

EDIT: In any way am I not condoning the practice of voluntarily DCing online, I just find it useless to have such lengthy bans for even repeated voluntary DC's.

What about the report feature in the Wii U version? Is there even one to begin with?

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Quitting online is something that needs to be discouraged. Losing, and then taking away the other persons' chance to close out the win to make it real is bad sportsmanship.

But if you get your win when the opponents D/C's then I see no problem. If D/Cing is treated as forfeiting then that is closure. Forfeiting is no bad sportsmanship. Maybe you enjoy pummeling the opponent when he does not pose a threat anymore (I know I do) but some people may think that it is a waste of time and prefer the opponent to forfeit. Besides no one should be forfced to sit through a game when the game has become pointless.

I enjoy pummeling opponents after they have lost the chance to win and even I grant quitters a rematch if they want. Because SDing as a means to forfeit is fair in my opinion and so wiould D/Cing be if it was treated as a normal loss.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Mmm, 10 minutes if there really needs to be a ban for voluntary DC's is suitable. Not 30, not 50, not 60+.

EDIT: In any way am I not condoning the practice of voluntarily DCing online, I just find it useless to have such lengthy bans for even repeated voluntary DC's.

What about the report feature in the Wii U version? Is there even one to begin with?
There is an people are thinking it is being abused as people are being sent into ban land for no reason at all.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
But if you get your win when the opponents D/C's then I see no problem. If D/Cing is treated as forfeiting then that is closure. Forfeiting is no bad sportsmanship. Maybe you enjoy pummeling the opponent when he does not pose a threat anymore (I know I do) but some people may think that it is a waste of time and prefer the opponent to forfeit. Besides no one should be forfced to sit through a game when the game has become pointless.

I enjoy pummeling opponents after they have lost the chance to win and even I grant quitters a rematch if they want. Because SDing as a means to forfeit is fair in my opinion and so wiould D/Cing be if it was treated as a normal loss.

If the character has any meteor, stage spike, or gimp potential they are a threat. That is one of the beautiful things about this game.

Winning via forfeit isn't the same as closing out a hard fought win.

1FC0

Smash Lord

Winning via forfeit isn't the same as closing out a hard fought win.
True but a hard fought win is often not the alternative to winning by forfeit so this point is pretty moot. Often when people forfeit they are so far behind that beating them if they would not forfeit would be very easy meaning the alternative to winning by forfeit would be winning by destroying them with ease.

And winning by forfeit or winning by destroying them with ease is both pretty nice IMO.

If the character has any meteor, stage spike, or gimp potential they are a threat. That is one of the beautiful things about this game.
Not really. If you are much better than the opponent then he has a very slim chance of landing it meaning it is not really that much of a treat. Do you think that I am afraid of Mario's Fair when I am 1 stock and 102% in the lead and he cannot even get me offstage?

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
If I'm getting pummeled and it looks like there's no chance of luck going in my favor, that's a time when I will cut the cord without second thought. Think what you wanna think, but that's how I roll. I'm not going to entertain dragging out a match when I'm getting slaughtered for the other persons benefit.

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
On the phone with Nintendo. Gave him a 7 minute speech about my experience as well as reading a bunch of posts from other people on Gamefaqs and Smashboards. In other words, I gave him a collective rant. Guy's like speechless and then types some "notes", but sounds like he's typing an essay.

He connected me with a supervisor and I basically give him the same earful.
The supervisor tells me that he will forward my concerns to a research team to look into it. I don't know if that was his way of saying "there is nothing I can do, so hang up, but I kept being insistent that other players are speculating that there is a problem with the system. Of course, the supervisor sounded skeptical and I agree. Many of us could be lying and very well be breaking rules. But hopefully I provided a compelling case which put enough doubt in his mind so that they take this seriously.

So I'm telling y'all.
Call Nintendo. Be stubborn. Type what you're going to say. Add in every little detail, concern and complaint and let it rain down on them. Quote as many of us as you can. It sounds silly, yes, to say "wumbocombo99 said this", but it adds legitimacy that these are real people having a real problem.

Odds are, the guy you speak to will be so confused, he'll connect you to a supervisor. Do the same with them and hopefully with enough people, the research team will just be flooded with these complaints.

So do it.
Call Nintendo.

1 (800) 255-3700

It's so important that you do or else we might be plagued with this faulty report system.

ItsGi0

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, so while it sucks to all the be in the same situation, its comforting knowing I'm not alone.
So what happened to me? Banned... or rather "a penalty on my account"
So similarly, I noticed about a week ago that all of a sudden I was unable to find ANYONE in the modes on For Glory. Team Smash and Smash will just keep looking for people, never connecting with anyone. 1V1 COULD work but terribly... It will take very long to find someone and I would get stuck playing the same 3 people (if lucky) who were mostly vulgar with profanities, full of lags, or just very good.
I finally called Nintendo.
After spending a half hour on the phone it was established that there isn't a "ban" listed for my account HOWEVER there's a penalty placed that they have "no access to". She gave me a list of possible reasons (improper names, too many suicides, targeting, the basics) and told me she's unable to disclose the reason for my penalty (and there isn't one, I play very nicely and fairly.. apparently unlike most of the people I encounter). She told me that they are unable to lift the penalty, tell me why theres a penalty, or know how long the penalty will last. Well that answer doesn't work for me. So I had her transfer me, only to spend another half hour to end up at the exact same response. The verdict was "stop playing your game and wait a few weeks and see if it works"
Well thanks Nintendo. That was a great solution. I'm glad I spend money on your game (and all DLC) for you to turn around and kick me out. Hopefully I'm allowed out of this "ban land" like I hear some of you were. Ill keep you all posted.
But is it just me... or is this system AWFUL? I feel so helpless. And angry.

SherrdreamZ

Jubilant Adept Princess
NNID
SherrdreamZ
having had a taste of Banland in early October while being nothing but cordial and sporting, If i end up returning again ill definitely call Nintendo with Pollo's above number..

It's quite terrible the abuse that is present from this system. Nintendo needs to actually set up a division to sort reports the way Sony/Microsoft do so. It's a rather despicable practice to allow bans of such magnitude to be present in this game, without even sorting and differentiating Legitimate reports vs Salty opponents.

Every day i see more of these injustices with how online is handled is another day i believe we should collectively get this abolished whether you are affected or not. No other gaming company has ever been this lacking in maintaining it's online service. We should hold nintendo to a higher standard than this, even as a free online service provider they have responsibilities as a business to handle this issue fairly and with a bit more effort then currently.

"well just stop playing a few weeks and see if it works again then" to someone with Zero legitimate infractions, this shouldn't need to be tolerated..

Last edited:

PurpleMonkey

Smash Rookie
I'm banned too, for what reason I don't know. Actually, that's a lie. I got ganged up on by a bunch of idiots because they kept spamming and losing to me, they probably mass reported me too. The report system is ridiculous.

GamerTimeUS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WinningAlex13
I'm banned too, for what reason I don't know. Actually, that's a lie. I got ganged up on by a bunch of idiots because they kept spamming and losing to me, they probably mass reported me too. The report system is ridiculous.
I know right!! They probably did the same to me because I beat them fairly.

TrapOnLotus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StrapOnFetus
I just got sent to banland or for glory hell, whatever you want to name it. Happened yesterday. I assume some salty player reported me. This is really annoying,

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
I used to be stuck in FG purgatory and it was pretty meh I pretty much destroyed everyone on there...

Finally got out and I actually face dynamic people and with dynamic I mean Bayonetta,Corrin,Cloud,Marth,Lucy,Ike,Little Mac and thats the FG roster for me.

Like the people I fight on FG are either the same or these characters are ovverrated..I am fairly sure I got out of purgatory FG since I am getting matches very quickly.

Weijie Zhang

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty late to the party but i think that i'm in banland too.It takes an eternity to find someone and when i find an oppnent it's someone who's really,really good or one that is pretty annoying to fight against. I just fought someone who only used the second part on ness' up b. He was pretty good with this technique and destroyed me because i'm bad. Even i got a little salty and i think that many other people decided to report him,the reason that he is in banland. The other guy that i found there was an incredible good captain falcon and i guess that he got there becuase he destroyed everyone on for glory. Instead i got in banland becuase i sterted sding a lot becuase of my broken controller... I'm just confirming everything that you guys said. (Sorry for my bad english)

HYP3R

Smash Lord
W Weijie Zhang
You will know if you are banned if you can't join the For Fun/For Glory Online Tournaments. It will simply just tell you that you are "Unable to join," even if there is room for you to join the tournament. A ban lasts for about 1 week, you can check if you are unbanned if it will let you join tournaments again. It's recommended you do not try to play For Glory 1v1 during the time you are banned, because the other people who are banned will report you and make your ban last even longer. It's best to wait it out.

Last edited:

Doug the Yoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
GameWatch22
It's strange, but... even though I'm pretty sure I am in the ban lands, I can still join tourneys just fine... anyone knows what's up with that? :p

I still experience the other ban land effects, like struggling to find people in any online modes and running into the same people multiple times...

GamerTimeUS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WinningAlex13
It's strange, but... even though I'm pretty sure I am in the ban lands, I can still join tourneys just fine... anyone knows what's up with that? :p

I still experience the other ban land effects, like struggling to find people in any online modes and running into the same people multiple times...
I don't think your banned then. You shouldn't be able to join tournaments.

1FC0

Smash Lord
i used to be a regular to banland but i have not been in banland for a wbile

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I literally just got unbanned today and within the first couple matches.

I recommend you guys search him up and block him cuz this is the kind of trash For Glory is full of that'll get you banned.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I literally just got unbanned today and within the first couple matches.

I recommend you guys search him up and block him cuz this is the kind of trash For Glory is full of that'll get you banned.
You must have owned the poor scrub big time for him to be that salty.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Welp, I got unbanned last Saturday and once again...

...banned.

And the person responsible for that ban.

inb4 how do you know it was him.
He was on the Viewing Results screen forever and left the lobby without going through the Selecting Character screen.
So he was probably both Reporting me and Blocking me.

How do I know he was blocking me?

The grayed out Friend Request icon is a dead giveaway.

So yeah. What a coincidence. The guy who spent forever on the screen where you report people also happened to be the last guy I played before getting banned and blocked.
I think it's pretty clear.

He even made his mii look like a jerk

"Expert" "...pretty good at Super Smash Bros".
Yeah... He was pretty terrible.

So anyway, again, like my previous post, I only make this public on the recommendation that you look this guy up and block him.

And I encourage others to do the same. If someone reports you, let us know. These guys think they can anonymously Report and ban you just because?
If Nintendo won't do anything about it, at least let others know who are the jerks banning people for no reason.

Last edited:

Charu

Smash Cadet
Wow, that stinks.

Out of all the people, you seem to be going for a record of most banned player in For Glory, heh.

I'm waiting until I get put in there again. It's been about four months now. Though I feel it's mostly because I only ever do 2v2's and it's super hard to literally destroy someone enough for them to report you.

Ah well, hoping that the next Smash game doesn't have such a crappy system in place. I'm honestly surprised I don't really see an influx of users reporting that they are indeed in FG Hell. It's like this backstage type of thing where people STILL THINK it's a rumor and not true at all.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Wow, that stinks.

Out of all the people, you seem to be going for a record of most banned player in For Glory, heh.

I'm waiting until I get put in there again. It's been about four months now. Though I feel it's mostly because I only ever do 2v2's and it's super hard to literally destroy someone enough for them to report you.

Ah well, hoping that the next Smash game doesn't have such a crappy system in place. I'm honestly surprised I don't really see an influx of users reporting that they are indeed in FG Hell. It's like this backstage type of thing where people STILL THINK it's a rumor and not true at all.
I'm still surprised no major gaming journalism website has mentioned it. For a system so broken and faulty, you'd think it'd generate the type of click-bait drama that websites need.

Top Bottom