• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banned Online

kslayer9000

Smash Rookie
I'm playing online in Smash 4 and can't find any players. However, I keep playing with other banned players. How long is my ban or how do I check?

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Banned why?

If it was an intentional disconnect it is a timeout period starting from when you connect. It should tell you when you try to connect.

If you cheated then you probably won't be back allowed on... least I hope you wouldn't be.

1FC0

Smash Lord
So you can get banned but then you can only play against other banned people? Lately I do have sudden trouble finding people. I used to find opponents within 10 seconds but now it often takes minutes. Might I be banned? If so why? I almost always play FG 1v1 and I never cheat.

Could someone get banned for taunting, sandbagging, or dominating?

Also I might add I got this when our IP changed. So perhaps I am now blacklisted because what happened on this IP before I got it.

Last edited:

rjpageuk

Smash Cadet
See the thread I linked to - I am pretty sure you get moved to banland from people reporting you. No idea if it takes multiple reports (I assume it does). It is not necessarily relevant whether you act in a bad way, just whether people report you or not.

Also the best way of realising that you have been put on the list is that a) games take ages to find and b) you keep getting paired up against the same people.

In all of the time I have played For Glory I was never paired up with the same person directly after leaving a game with them (or them with me), but when in banland it happens pretty much every time.

As a side note, as I am new to this community I did not understand or realise the scorn toward players who "spam". For Glory is full of players who change their name to "spam" every time I beat them, and players who get angry at my playstyle. I am fairly sure playing as Link, Samus, Villager or any of the other players who effectively rely on heavy projectile use you are a lot more likely to be reported as players perceive spam as being something worth reporting and end up putting you in banland. As far as I was aware using the moves the game gives you however you see fit is all part of the game, but it seems many For Glory players (and many players on these boards) do not agree.

fehector

Smash Cadet
Just to make clear. yes 1fc0 you are temporary banned. probably for over 3 weeks if u are as as good as you describe. It is no one's fault. You are the victims of abusers who couldnt take the lose, and reported u and blocked u afterwards.

every beginner spamms and stalls. Half of the community would be in hell. U have 3 taunts u can use freely, Nintendo put them in the game for using. Thats not a reason at no time of the game.

again dont have any regrets, its the automatic report->ban system that sucks. I am here for over 2 weeks.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
As a side note, as I am new to this community I did not understand or realise the scorn toward players who "spam". For Glory is full of players who change their name to "spam" every time I beat them, and players who get angry at my playstyle. I am fairly sure playing as Link, Samus, Villager or any of the other players who effectively rely on heavy projectile use you are a lot more likely to be reported as players perceive spam as being something worth reporting and end up putting you in banland. As far as I was aware using the moves the game gives you however you see fit is all part of the game, but it seems many For Glory players (and many players on these boards) do not agree.
I kind of agree that people seem to have an often unnecessary hatred of projectile heavy characters. The way I've seen many posts here worded, most people here seem to assume that certain characters, such as Link and Samus, are only chosen if the player intends to spam projectiles, plus a lot if players on FG have an even worse attitude where if you use any projectile, then you're a spammer (I have a lot of fun stories about this from back when my secondary was Olimar).

With that said, there are still a lot of players on For Glory who so nothing but stand in one place and throw projectiles regardless of what their opponent does, and I'll be honest, they are not fun to face. The same thing can be said about their opposites, which are the players who pick a character like Captain Falcon or Mario and try to rush you down without even considering defense. Trust me, they are not fun to fight either.

rjpageuk

Smash Cadet
With that said, there are still a lot of players on For Glory who so nothing but stand in one place and throw projectiles regardless of what their opponent does, and I'll be honest, they are not fun to face. The same thing can be said about their opposites, which are the players who pick a character like Captain Falcon or Mario and try to rush you down without even considering defense. Trust me, they are not fun to fight either.
Surely it only takes a little practice against such a player before you can easily defeat them? Let be honest, if pressing the same button over and over again was a legitimate strategy none of us would be here would we?

I have around 2500 For Glory games now, and it is now being ruined by the fact that I can no longer find people to play with and after waiting the 10 mins to finally find someone they lag so bad its impossible to play. I have just played for 90 mins and in that time I had about 8 matches with 4 people, 2 of which lagged badly and the other 2 left after one game when I won. There is only so many of these sessions I can put up with before its no longer worth playing.

I understand that my ire should be directed toward Nintendo (since they created this stupid system) but when I see people posting about how they reported people for spamming on a board filled with the brightest and best smash players it really disappoints me.

fehector

Smash Cadet
They dont actually report because the other players spam. They are annoyed they cant reach them, instead using it as practice, as i do. The reason behind their actions isnt because they are white knight and to make the game a better place for everyone. its just a selfish act and that makes the report wrong and the player to a victom.

I agree everytime i hear, some has reported another because he failed versus his projectiles, i am ashamed. even the evo sponsored the most campy player and villager i ever saw. The game is build around that.

i only met a few campers and i had fun against them. The rest wins with creativity, far above the average skill in fg.

Last edited:

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
How do I know if i've been banned? By the way thats absolutely rediculous that banning occurs from just random reports. Thats such an easy system to abuse, my god.

kslayer9000

Smash Rookie
I've been reading the threads, but I don't see any answers. What I want to know is how long is this glitch ban? That's all I need to know.

fehector

Smash Cadet
first. This is not a glitch. Its different. some might have it a week, the others 1 month. i reached the second week.

@Lee yes this is how it is. if there were poeple behind it, u should get a written report per mail or a genereal message (what does not work automatic generated, because the system cant point out the penaltys) about it. also there is no way the time to investigate 100 k reports everyday.

Last edited:

kslayer9000

Smash Rookie
I see well this sucks cause its been over a week for me. Especially since no notification of the ban was given. It won't hurt to at least know how long I'd have to wait. What's the maximum, a month for sure right?

fehector

Smash Cadet
Still there are only a few there, compared to the number of all active and semi-active players. So u need to get constantly mass reports during an interveal. if i use myself as an example. i am dhd, i am hated, players do many games in a row for vengeance and some of them are leaving with a report as a gift. so i had alot of enemies during my lifespan.

as far as we know from the thread, the longest was 4 weaks. it could get even higher, depends probably on ur report counter.

Last edited:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
@ R rjpageuk A lot of players here do know how to beat them, but that doesn't mean that they can easily defeat them. I play Ryu, and even though I know I can destroy projectile spammers if I get within poke range, the problem is that my character has a hard time navigating through projectiles at long range even when they are just thrown mindlessly. If you combine that with rolling nonstop, which very few players are able to punish consistently in online conditions, then the match can easily go on for much longer than needed.

I don't believe that players who have this playstyle should be reported at all since pretty much all of us have done this when we first started, plus it would mean that players that use Olimar and Duck Hunt would get reported even though they actually need to keep their opponent at a distance to do well, which a lot of players falsely consider to be spamming.

Last edited:

fehector

Smash Cadet
yes. i can dance a little bit arround him, but i have to kepp the enemy away from me. the lags on his attacks dont allow more. even the forward smash is the longest in the game and has to be planned from the distance.

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
You know how long the timeout period is?

No, but I think that if you go to the online mode it might tell you how long it is? I could be wrong?

So you can get banned but then you can only play against other banned people? Lately I do have sudden trouble finding people. I used to find opponents within 10 seconds but now it often takes minutes. Might I be banned? If so why? I almost always play FG 1v1 and I never cheat.

Could someone get banned for taunting, sandbagging, or dominating?

Also I might add I got this when our IP changed. So perhaps I am now blacklisted because what happened on this IP before I got it.

The timeout period I think is for disconnecting "intentionally."

I put that in quotes because my doubles partner was getting [strike]nagged at[/strike] I mean talked to by someone in the house and instinctively I pressed pause... it's what you do when the game is indentured.

Somehow the cursor navigated over to the quit and yes got pressed. I don't know if it was me realizing pausing didn't work and trying to save my imoble character, my doubles partner pressing buttons or a combination of the 2... it seems so unlikely that it would happen but it did...

Actual cheating I'd assume a longer if not permanganate suspension... but if it is within game mechanics and isn't an obvious glitch I don't think a bann would happen.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I kind of agree that people seem to have an often unnecessary hatred of projectile heavy characters. The way I've seen many posts here worded, most people here seem to assume that certain characters, such as Link and Samus, are only chosen if the player intends to spam projectiles, plus a lot if players on FG have an even worse attitude where if you use any projectile, then you're a spammer (I have a lot of fun stories about this from back when my secondary was Olimar).

The boded is a key... I admittedly am a bit picky about my opponents in my rare for glory play. I need to find someone who will push me to improve but isn't pwning me to the point where I can't learn anything. If I find someone who over uses projectile I will look for a new opponent... but I'm not going to report a legit tactic that my character isn't cut out for countering. (I am not a good player, I don't claim to be, if I get to a better level I will try to overcome more... but as it stands I can't improve if I am getting constantly 2 stocked by a better player +bad matchup combo.)

If it isn't fun don't play it... that is fine. But don't report people who play "wrong" if it is within game mechanics and not abuse of a glitch.

fehector

Smash Cadet
if i lose vs spammers, i feel still bad and i dont search for excuses. yes his style could be very poor and i cann fall for it. I failed. Now i have my challenge. not even in my most stupid dreams, i thought about to report someone because of that. thats ill-use because ii cant swallow the lose.... i suck at the matchup. Find a better tactic to approuch or a better suited character.

To be honest the internet is full of intolerance for eachother and if a a opinion is different, they insult. this is the kind of human being we are dealing with. they cant stand the players opinion, meaning his playstile. and one way to insult someone in this particular game, is to report.

Last edited:

fehector

Smash Cadet
Okay breaking news. my ban went yesterday away. I had some really funny games, with a amazing win ratio. in less then 24 hours i ended again banned. Thats ...i dunno what to say. I was right. Banned players if back, have some kind of invisible probation status and need less reports to get back in that ****hole. This explains it. it happend to boo jr. and some others, but not that fast. Anyway i can look again in empty lobbys.

so everyone. If u want to stay, dont mess with other peples nerves, because u can see by my example how few u need and how fast it process. Beeing a dhd player means eventually a short life, if u are good at that. As for anyone elses charakter, stay calm and leave games if u think u damaged ur kontrahent enough. because u never know, what button he might press.

I will not lie, i am kinda sad. It hurts. but life continues. Thank u sakurai. :urg:

Last edited:

rjpageuk

Smash Cadet
I think at this point it is highly likely that however many reports you need to get into banland is significantly reduced in order to get put back in there after coming out as the same thing happened to me.

It took me about 2000 games to get into banland the first time around, and I was in it for a week and then out for a week and then back in again since. I will check to see if the second ban lasts longer than a week but I think its enough to say that if you play in a way that encourages people to report you its pretty much impossible to stay out of banland and it will eventually get you :(.

My main hope at this point is that enough other people eventually get in it that its at least easy to find games when there as its just depressing at the moment.

fehector

Smash Cadet
yeah i can agree on that. at least i had this forum, otherwise i would have beleaved eventually till now that i am glicthed in something, i should not. And i had people arround me who understand me and some of them had even the same issues like me. That is more then i can ask for. This world is an unfair place, and here we are talking about first world problems As ur example describes, so was i in a similar career. Even then the differences between the first time and the second are monstrous. Not even 1 day and i have to suffer for another 3 weeks ( and i came from them), before i meet a redemption, just so i can play how long next time....a half day? and why, because of 3 reports?, maybe 5....ebven 20? it doesnt matter, because they base on salty failure.

atleast we collect slowly proofs, how that systems works. And so fast as the baning is processing, it is allmost 100 % not a human behind. It all makes more and more sense. Maybe it will matter one day.

p-s. i had someone playing 25 games and with 25 loses against me. U dont like it mr. anonymus? learn, adapt and fight. And dont report.

Last edited:

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if Im on the banned zone or not. 1 out of 5 tries i can find a room with people in it, and a lot of times I end up meeting the same people.

I usually encounter japanese players 90% of the time since I play in the middle of the night, but lately for the past week I've not encountered a single japanese player.

If its because I was reported, then wow, salty people can get pretty petty.

Shog

Smash Ace
Funny, i play campy and never got into banhell. My winrate is 70% btw
I noticed people who change tags to insults end up being banned. If that's what you here did, you deserved it 100%

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
I noticed people who change tags to insults end up being banned. If that's what you here did, you deserved it 100%
Except I supposedly got banned on the 3ds, so the only reason to be reported is from being salty from losing

rjpageuk

Smash Cadet
I have never insulted anyone in my For Glory life, but I do sometimes change my tag to "gg wp" or "gg ul" depending on how it went.

I have a win rate of about 70% and have been in ban land twice.

I am pretty sure people are going into banland due to reports and anyone can report anyone else at any time for anything.

Shog

Smash Ace
I have never insulted anyone in my For Glory life, but I do sometimes change my tag to "gg wp" or "gg ul" depending on how it went.

I have a win rate of about 70% and have been in ban land twice.

I am pretty sure people are going into banland due to reports and anyone can report anyone else at any time for anything.
Yeah sure...it is not like you can only report once every ~ 12 hours (I couldn't report another person with racial slurs because I reported someone else earlier). If you got to banland that means a lot of people had to report you.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Yeah sure...it is not like you can only report once every ~ 12 hours (I couldn't report another person with racial slurs because I reported someone else earlier). If you got to banland that means a lot of people had to report you.
But if you play really good then you just might get a lot of sore losers salty.

rjpageuk

Smash Cadet
I said before it took me over 2000 games to get into ban land so you might be right that it does take a lot of reports to get you in there.

However, it is clear it does not take many reports to get you back in there once you have been in, since me and at least one other on this board went back in within a week of coming out.

I know of at least one person on this board who has played a lot of games (and is good) and who hasnt gone into banland so I think it might be a good assumption that reports "time out", so you need to get X (where X is a lot more than 1) reports within a certain time frame and/or number of games.

But overall this means that once you have been in ban land it is going to be difficult to get out if you play in a way that encourages people to report you.

Last edited:

fehector

Smash Cadet
Offensive Mii, offensive Name perhaps?
U obviously didnt read any post in this thread. and u dont end up in hell innocent, only bacause u were campy for example. u can also have a rush down charakter, and make people salty. Actually the least i met in hell are campers, most of them are damn good and they were reportet in a short or long lifespan, a serious amount of times. If the charakter or playstyle u play dont encourages, u can have 80 % and u will be safe. On the other side u can have 50 %, be a melee fighter and meet the wrong people at the wrong time, what leads u in hell. Its a misfortune.

I never had any bad names or greetings also. Stop generalize, this is a serious problem. Its an automatic system, determined by humans. if the system is seeing so many reports, ofcause it beleaves something is wrong with you, because many people can not be wrong. They can, for unholy selfish reasons.

Last edited:

rjpageuk

Smash Cadet
fehector - you said you were banned for more than 1 week right? I think you said 3.

I just got out of banland for the second time and was in a week again. Since (as far as I am aware) you dont specify a reason when you report I suspect there are not different ban lengths for different offences, but rather your stay in banland is extended if you get reported while already in banland. This is the only explanation I can give as to why you ended up having a multiple week stay whereas I have had two lots of one week now.

One other thing I noticed is that toward the end of my time in banland (the day yesterday and this morning) I found it pretty much impossible to find a game full stop. This morning I left it searching for 30 minutes and it didnt find a single player. Then this afternoon I am out of banland and finding people non-stop. Earlier on being in banland it was hard to find players but not that hard - generally I found players within 5 - 10 mins of waiting.

fehector

Smash Cadet
Maybe some of them blocked u, because they are annoyed by the same player or think they can undo the glitch ( because they are still in the belave they are glicthed) this way.

It could be that i was reported there, but that wouldnt make any sense, i mean, yey the button exists, but why should it be legal for people who are known as players with wrong behavior.

anyway i feel like a criminal. Cant bealeave still all that. i played that game since it eout even...3 days before. so i beleave they edited the server over a half year later, because i was a dhd player far longer period, without any ban penalties.

This game is loved by noobs. as more have the wisdom about that lopehole, as more foulplay we will see against innocents.

Funny thing at the start of the conversations here, i had so many guesses about the system, and they were only guesses....still i was everytime right. Everything is so easy to predict.

i Sacraficed myself for the community here and pulled the worst dhd playstile from my hands after banland, just to check how longe it will take, until i go back. i dont regret my 4 taunts ( the 3 legals, and the one after time out) every game. DHD for life.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
U obviously didnt read any post in this thread. and u dont end up in hell innocent, only bacause u were campy for example. u can also have a rush down charakter, and make people salty. Actually the least i met in hell are campers, most of them are damn good [...]
Your reply doesn't make any sense to what I have written, atleast I think that is. I can't understand the second sentence for example....
Furthermore how is Banland bad if you "mostly face good player", that are the fun matches on FG. Well atleast for me, for curbstomping I go on the mode For Fun

This game is loved by noobs. as more have the wisdom about that lopehole, as more foulplay we will see against>>innocents<<.
[...]my hands after banland, just to check how longe it will take, until i go back. i dont regret my 4 taunts ( the 3 legals, and the one after time out) every game. DHD for life.
Thug Life in a nutshell

rjpageuk

Smash Cadet
Furthermore how is Banland bad if you "mostly face good player", that are the fun matches on FG. Well atleast for me, for curbstomping I go on the mode For Fun
It is true that the quality of opponents is significantly higher in banland (I went from a 70%+ winrate to less than 50% while there), this bonus is little compensation for the fact that you have to wait 5 minutes+ to find an opponent and the number of very bad mannered players and/or laggy players is also significantly increased.

1FC0

Smash Lord
It is true that the quality of opponents is significantly higher in banland (I went from a 70%+ winrate to less than 50% while there), this bonus is little compensation for the fact that you have to wait 5 minutes+ to find an opponent and the number of very bad mannered players and/or laggy players is also significantly increased.
This may be true because it does not happen often that people get salty from winning. Most people get salty when they lose.
Being a good player --> Winning more often --> Getting more people salty --> Getting reported more often --> Going to banland faster.
By transitivity the better you are the more chance that you have to end up in banland fast.

That is assuming that banland exists which it might or might not as far as I know.

Top Bottom