• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
CUPHEAAAAAD on Switch!!! That was nice of Microsoft wasn't it? "Our friend Microsoft" ;)
Oh man, stuff is really coming to a head with this Microsoft/Nintendo relationship, isn't it?! Definitely gonna have to download that eventually. I really hope we see a certain bear and bird make a return on Nintendo consoles down the road and soon!

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Oh man, stuff is really coming to a head with this Microsoft/Nintendo relationship, isn't it?! Definitely gonna have to download that eventually. I really hope we see a certain bear and bird make a return on Nintendo consoles down the road and soon!
"Our friends at Microsoft." Mmmmm...feels good.

habibyo25

Smash Rookie
This is looking so good for them right now. I am beyond words, I cannot believe we've gotten this close and this far. Rumors are one thing, but to actually see an xbox one exclusive on the switch, opens up the door for Kazooie & Tooie to come back on a Nintendo platform. Maybe Rare's new project is Threeie as was hinted on that one Rare employee's twitter bio and that could be announced at e3 alongside a switch version coming. We have to keep in mind if the duo doesn't come to smash big things can still happen for them like a new game would be better. Never lose hope my friends.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
The Microsoft character was Cuphead all along to check off the Microsoft character and Indie game character checkmarks. Checkmate Banjo and Steve fans

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
"Our friend Microsoft"

Music to our ears.

Things are lookin' up, guys! Xbox Live was just confirmed for Cuphead on Switch as well, this buddy-buddy relationship is paying off. All the cards are stacked in our favor here, let that E3 or VGAs come, bring on the Bear and Bird! Smash, N64 Classic Edition, B-K and B-T on the Switch E-shop, remakes, new games on Nintendo platforms, it's all possible now!!

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
So glad cuphead is on the switch. Now I can watch game journalists struggle with the tutorial level all over again.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Nobody's downplaying Minecraft, they're simply pointing out that certain individuals are conflating Minecraft's success with the interchangeable default skin.
Okay, thank you for clearing that up for me.

But I have a question to ask. Wouldn't Steve, the interchangeable default skin, be considered the mascot of Minecraft? I mean he has merchandise and can always be seen whenever Minecraft is being promoted somewhere. I feel like even though Steve has no real personality of his own, the creativity of his game would allow him to perfectly represent what Minecraft is. He's the go-to mascot kind of like the female orange Inkling is for Splatoon, or even the Villager for that matter. In Minecraft, Splatoon, and Animal Crossing, you take control of a customizable avatar with 0 personality aside from what you project onto them. I don't know maybe someone can explain it to me but I don't see what the overall issue with Steve is.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
3/10
There seems to only be one level and I can't beat it
Animations are nice but dated. What is this, the 1950s?
It has some semblance of challenge, therefore it is the dark souls of platformers.

Because only real gamerz know dark souls is the only challenging game out there...

Just clip through the cylinder.
Don't worry guys, it was just a social experiment

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

But I have a question to ask. Wouldn't Steve, the interchangeable default skin, be considered the mascot of Minecraft? I mean he has merchandise and can always be seen whenever Minecraft is being promoted somewhere. I feel like even though Steve has no real personality of his own, the creativity of his game would allow him to perfectly represent what Minecraft is. He's the go-to mascot kind of like the female orange Inkling is for Splatoon, or even the Villager for that matter. In Minecraft, Splatoon, and Animal Crossing, you take control of a customizable avatar with 0 personality aside from what you project onto them. I don't know maybe someone can explain it to me but I don't see what the overall issue with Steve is.
As other people pointed out, Creepers seem to occupy that. Hell, the blocks themselves are more a mascot than the skin Steve. Inklings are customisable avatars essentially, they're not interchangeable skins like Stevo

Basically if Steve gets in he represents an iconic brand. He's not iconic himself.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I never could beat the Egyptian genie boss, but maybe its time for round 2. Anyways, "Our friends at Microsoft" sounds good. Really good. If a MS character was likely earlier, then think about the chances now!

TheBeastHimself

As other people pointed out, Creepers seem to occupy that. Hell, the blocks themselves are more a mascot than the skin Steve. Inklings are customisable avatars essentially, they're not interchangeable skins like Stevo

Basically if Steve gets in he represents an iconic brand. He's not iconic himself.
But the Creeper is limited to certain abilities in Minecraft, like blowing itself up. Steve, or the playable character, on the other hand can do so many more things and represent Minecraft a lot better than just the limited abilities of a Creeper. I see what you mean, Steve is just Steve, but no matter how you alter the Inklings, they will always be Inklings. But I mean that doesn't matter when Steve has multiple official skins of his own:

Steve himself is iconic though. Otherwise, there would be no merch for him and Mojang/Microsoft wouldn't use him as the mascot for Minecraft. Everyone knows who Steve is because he is the default skin, and that defaultness is what makes him so iconic. Steve is on posters, the box art of the various Minecraft versions, has plushies and action figures. He is the player in Minecraft, and can do so many more things. I don't see how the Creeper would be more iconic and would represent Minecraft better when it is limited to one ability. Who cares if Steve is an interchangeable skin, the point of Minecraft is creativity. So even if Steve gets in and he has different skins that aren't Steve, why would that matter?

I really don't mean to sound rude or disrespectful, but I don't understand how people can't see that Steve is the mascot of Minecraft, he literally is and Mojang/Microsoft make that apparent as well.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Creeper is probably more iconic than Steve but even Steve is very iconic, the Bedrock Edition even uses his name when selecting his skin and his name is on all the merchandise of him, and all Minecraft fans I've seen who participiate in the community refer to him as "Steve" when he's ever brought up; they specifically used "Steve" on Miiverse when asking for him, even, and I have no doubt Minecraft did at least decently in the Ballot.

I don't give a crap about relevancy or how iconic they are, though, I just can see Steve working just fine in Smash with what I've already described 2-3 pages ago. Whether we get Steve/a Creeper or Banjo-Kazooie, however, I'd be hyped either way, being left with wishes for the other to be added later.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Well this is definitely a very interesting development! While I'm probably not going to get Cuphead (mainly because from what I've heard it's a very challenging game (which I'm usually not a fan of), and it seems like it can get bullet-hell like, which if Undertale proved anything, is something that I SUUUCK at), the fact that they not only allowed this Xbox exclusive game onto the Switch and referred to Microsoft as "friends" is in and of itself incredible. Hopefully, we'll see this partnership pay off more come E3...

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Cuphead on Switch? Day one purchase and how good for Banjo. Come on Nintendo you know who most people want for DLC make it happen.
In regards to Golden Sun, it's just not as big of a deal as its fans make it out to be. It had two popular games from the early 2000s, a third game that came out several years later that no one liked, and that was it. It didn't really leave much of an impact on anything, and it's not one of those old classic in-house games that Nintendo likes to celebrate with re-releases and references. It's just kind of a middling, abandoned franchise. It's not so hard to see why Isaac wasn't prioritised over K. Rool, Ridley and Simon, the three non-echo newcomers that Sakurai claims he took from the ballot.
You seem to be a little misinformed on Isaac fans mate. Now while I do disagree with your premise of being about legacy due to a few characters on the roster already, the GS fans don't tout GS as a landmark title for Nintendo. It has done far better than other series that get more recognition like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade but that's it. They do say Isaac is a big deal for Smash because despite him being an AT, despite him being removed from Smash, despite him being passed up for DLC last game, despite his series multiple periods of dormancy he has maintained popularity as one of the top characters. Most characters get popular and then it diminishes when they are deconfirmed or they are just forgotten about next game. Very very few characters have enduring power on that level and that's why they keep bringing up Isaac. And yes you are correct Nintendo doesn't keep re-releasing the game since we were just unlucky enough to have the series on GBA instead of Nintendo's beloved SNES or NES and yet that hasn't stopped the fans of the series to continue to request for a new one and remakes of the original game to the point it's a high request to see on the Switch, so yes it's not a legacy title but it is a series that has inspired a lot of passion and refuses to die despite Nintendo's lackluster response.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
But the Creeper is limited to certain abilities in Minecraft, like blowing itself up. Steve, or the playable character, on the other hand can do so many more things and represent Minecraft a lot better than just the limited abilities of a Creeper. I see what you mean, Steve is just Steve, but no matter how you alter the Inklings, they will always be Inklings. But I mean that doesn't matter when Steve has multiple official skins of his own:

Steve himself is iconic though. Otherwise, there would be no merch for him and Mojang/Microsoft wouldn't use him as the mascot for Minecraft. Everyone knows who Steve is because he is the default skin, and that defaultness is what makes him so iconic. Steve is on posters, the box art of the various Minecraft versions, has plushies and action figures. He is the player in Minecraft, and can do so many more things. I don't see how the Creeper would be more iconic and would represent Minecraft better when it is limited to one ability. Who cares if Steve is an interchangeable skin, the point of Minecraft is creativity. So even if Steve gets in and he has different skins that aren't Steve, why would that matter?

I really don't mean to sound rude or disrespectful, but I don't understand how people can't see that Steve is the mascot of Minecraft, he literally is and Mojang/Microsoft make that apparent as well.
I don't disagree with you, but I largely think it comes down to Steve being one of the least expressive characters in gaming. That's in line with Minecraft as a whole, but it's not like he can have facial animations or really express much of anything besides his grunts when he takes damage. He's also easily replaceable as a skin and many people will opt out of playing as him entirely, or to take that one step further, they won't even register Steve as an independent entity from an avatar they play as. You could theoretically play Minecraft entirely in first person and never even realize what you look like sort of thing. I think that's where people resist him the most generally come from.

I used to be pretty harshly against Steve, so that was a lot of my thinking at the time. That said, I'll concede the fact that he is the default skin of every Minecraft game to this day makes his recognizable and he has been grown as an actual entity over time just through a fandom adopting him and naming him. For a fan community the size of Minecraft's, that's still notable and has to be acknowledged I think whether people like it or not. The "character" of Steve is not really a thing, nor inherently recognizable, but the entity and avatar "Steve" is sort of thing.

And yes, most importantly, he would just represent Minecraft and that's what would be important in that scenario. Steve's the easiest choice for a Minecraft rep and I doubt Sakurai would even need a second thought. The moveset and content around him would be used to define Minecraft, not Steve himself.

D

Deleted member

Yup, having one or two Microsoft reps in Smash is more likely now.

Banjo can still get in.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Golden Sun is a D-tier Nintendo franchise, as much as I love it (and I do), it really is a few notches beneath their triple-A in-house studio developments, which includes Xenoblade and Fire Emblem (as Nintendo definitely pumps more money into them). Golden Sun was unfortunately victim to the little brother syndrome, where few franchises can make the leap into the big leagues... Pokemon did, but Pokemon is its own massive juggernaut. So while I understand the passion fans have, and the desire to see it become a big league franchise, and true, Smash would elevate it... but that's not what Smash is about, or at least, not what I feel it should be about. It oughtta be a reflection of gaming, Nintendo and otherwise, if some franchise/character is made a big deal outside of Smash, then it should be represented as a big deal within Smash. And that's usually how it goes, not always, but usually. It's the "Hall of Fame" approach, somewhat, but it makes sense to me, and it's a reason why Golden Sun maybe hasn't reached the pinnacle of playable status.

But man, do I wish Golden Sun was highlighted as much as Fire Emblem and Xenoblade... it's so much better imo.

Banjo-Kazooie though! Back in its day, it was an A-tier Nintendo franchise. crazy, huh! Well, for one generation anyway, but one's enough!

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!

The best way to point put the very real problems I and many other have with him is that Steve has no means of properly articulating himself in the Smash world. Even with the proposed changes based on Minecraft Dungeons, he still does not have the range of movement required to flow on the battlefield. Plus there are no unique animations or references to pull from to make a viable moveset. These glaring issues also comes with the lack of Music that can be assimilated into Smash.

Look at King K.Rool, all his specials and some normals reflect various aspects of his character. Blunderbuss, Crown throw, Gut Check and Heli-crocpter pack are all based on his appearances in DKc and even DK64 for his final smash and side smash. Even his other uninspired moves form a personality that revolves around his goofy villain persona. Banjo and Kazooie fit this mold perfectly as we already talked about in this thread.

Even looking at all the other blank characters you see one commonality; movement, emotion and articulation. Smack an Inkling and you see the pain on their face, grab a villager and you see how they struggle, taunt as Game and Watch and you'll see him jump for joy or sigh in relief. Steve has none of this, no matter how much you change him. It's like fitting a Square block in a round hole. Sure it's a nice, shiny, popular block, but trim the edges then it just looks awkward and is no longer its original identity.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but those are my personal problems with him. Other superfluous reasons are things like the Minecraft fanbase being steeped in cringe culture and the way people tend to grow out of Minecraft. Again these reasons are completely irrelevant, what matters is if Steve can work as a fighter. I say no, and Sakurai's design ethics support that.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Golden Sun is a D-tier Nintendo franchise, as much as I love it (and I do), it really is a few notches beneath their triple-A in-house studio developments, which includes Xenoblade and Fire Emblem (as Nintendo definitely pumps more money into them). Golden Sun was unfortunately victim to the little brother syndrome, where few franchises can make the leap into the big leagues... Pokemon did, but Pokemon is its own massive juggernaut. So while I understand the passion fans have, and the desire to see it become a big league franchise, and true, Smash would elevate it... but that's not what Smash is about, or at least, not what I feel it should be about. It oughtta be a reflection of gaming, Nintendo and otherwise, if some franchise/character is made a big deal outside of Smash, then it should be represented as a big deal within Smash. And that's usually how it goes, not always, but usually. It's the "Hall of Fame" approach, somewhat, but it makes sense to me, and it's a reason why Golden Sun maybe hasn't reached the pinnacle of playable status.

But man, do I wish Golden Sun was highlighted as much as Fire Emblem and Xenoblade... it's so much better imo.

Banjo-Kazooie though! Back in its day, it was an A-tier Nintendo franchise. crazy, huh! Well, for one generation anyway, but one's enough!
I get your opinion and that's fair but what do you mean by notches below Fire Emblem and Xenoblade? Because at the time of those series inclusions in Smash neither had sold as well as Golden Sun.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
And even then Fire Emblem was a game away from being outright cancelled and it only succeeded because Awakening went full blown anime with character designs and interactions. I want to say the same about Xenoblade.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Cuphead on Switch is fantastic news. Great game and good news for Banjo. Hopefully they announce more cool stuff tomorrow.

TheBeastHimself

I don't disagree with you, but I largely think it comes down to Steve being one of the least expressive characters in gaming. That's in line with Minecraft as a whole, but it's not like he can have facial animations or really express much of anything besides his grunts when he takes damage. He's also easily replaceable as a skin and many people will opt out of playing as him entirely, or to take that one step further, they won't even register Steve as an independent entity from an avatar they play as. You could theoretically play Minecraft entirely in first person and never even realize what you look like sort of thing. I think that's where people resist him the most generally come from.

I used to be pretty harshly against Steve, so that was a lot of my thinking at the time. That said, I'll concede the fact that he is the default skin of every Minecraft game to this day makes his recognizable and he has been grown as an actual entity over time just through a fandom adopting him and naming him. For a fan community the size of Minecraft's, that's still notable and has to be acknowledged I think whether people like it or not. The "character" of Steve is not really a thing, nor inherently recognizable, but the entity and avatar "Steve" is sort of thing.

And yes, most importantly, he would just represent Minecraft and that's what would be important in that scenario. Steve's the easiest choice for a Minecraft rep and I doubt Sakurai would even need a second thought. The moveset and content around him would be used to define Minecraft, not Steve himself.
The best way to point put the very real problems I and many other have with him is that Steve has no means of properly articulating himself in the Smash world. Even with the proposed changes based on Minecraft Dungeons, he still does not have the range of movement required to flow on the battlefield. Plus there are no unique animations or references to pull from to make a viable moveset. These glaring issues also comes with the lack of Music that can be assimilated into Smash.

Look at King K.Rool, all his specials and some normals reflect various aspects of his character. Blunderbuss, Crown throw, Gut Check and Heli-crocpter pack are all based on his appearances in DKc and even DK64 for his final smash and side smash. Even his other uninspired moves form a personality that revolves around his goofy villain persona. Banjo and Kazooie fit this mold perfectly as we already talked about in this thread.

Even looking at all the other blank characters you see one commonality; movement, emotion and articulation. Smack an Inkling and you see the pain on their face, grab a villager and you see how they struggle, taunt as Game and Watch and you'll see him jump for joy or sigh in relief. Steve has none of this, no matter how much you change him. It's like fitting a Square block in a round hole. Sure it's a nice, shiny, popular block, but trim the edges then it just looks awkward and is no longer its original identity.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but those are my personal problems with him. Other superfluous reasons are things like the Minecraft fanbase being steeped in cringe culture and the way people tend to grow out of Minecraft. Again these reasons are completely irrelevant, what matters is if Steve can work as a fighter. I say no, and Sakurai's design ethics support that.
You guys both gave me similar responses... that Steve is just too basic to fit in Smash, and shows no emotions whatsoever. My only gripe with that is, look at what Minecraft is. Minecraft itself represents simplicity. Look at the abysmal graphics of the game. It matches up perfectly with Steve's simplicity, and I feel like if Steve retained the weird, emotionless, stiff and simple aspects of himself in Smash, it would only better contribute to Minecraft's representation. He may look strange compared to the other characters in Smash, but that's the point; there's no other game out there like Minecraft. There's also the possibility that Sakurai and his team can give Steve his own type of flair. Remember, Captain Falcon was only ever seen in a car before Sakurai turned him into a ground soldier.

D

Deleted member

You guys both gave me similar responses... that Steve is just too basic to fit in Smash, and shows no emotions whatsoever. My only gripe with that is, look at what Minecraft is. Minecraft itself represents simplicity. Look at the abysmal graphics of the game. It matches up perfectly with Steve's simplicity, and I feel like if Steve retained the weird, emotionless, stiff and simple aspects of himself in Smash, it would only better contribute to Minecraft's representation. He may look strange compared to the other characters in Smash, but that's the point; there's no other game out there like Minecraft. There's also the possibility that Sakurai and his team can give Steve his own type of flair. Remember, Captain Falcon was only ever seen in a car before Sakurai turned him into a ground soldier.
The Captain Falcon point is pretty good, indeed.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I only meant that FE and Xenoblade are notches above Golden Sun in terms of money pumped into them by Nintendo, and I guess I could add that they're both home console franchises (yes, FE later became primarily handheld, but its origins are in home console, and that likely had influence on them getting into Melee). Home consoles are the big brother, handhelds are the little brother, that's why I mentioned Pokemon as the one big exception, because it really is a big one.

ChinaCat

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4209 0037 4617
so guys, is cuphead being on switch the "mario on ps4" level reveal that was teased earlier (i forget who but i def saw it on this thread)? I was kinda hoping for something bigger. I never played cuphead so i'm excited to try it out bc it looks to be right up my alley, but i hope theres something a bit bigger down the pike. Likening cuphead to mario just because he's exclusive is a bit dishonest imo.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

I don't want to be rude either, or carry on an irrelevant argument. If you want we can take it to DMs to not further derail the thread or you can look over the past pages to see all these points and more thoroughly debunked.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Sakurai's design stuffs support Steve imo if he actually imagines how he could make Steve work and show emotion with the pixels on his face...which he could do. Really this stuff is just based on opinion, some people will think it looks good while others can't fathom it. There are these animations someone made which seem pretty good but could probably use some touch-ups here and there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RZdPMvPGv8

And I don't get why the Minecraft fanbase is labeled as cringe, I can say the same thing about how a lot of people act in Smash's fanbase and others. I get that Microsoft markets it for kids, but that seems unfair imo and also rather rude (though I would prefer if they kept to a family-friendly approach, like Mojang themselves do...as in, attracting the whole family instead of one part of it).

Now, I don't care whether anyone likes or dislikes Steve, these two things just tend to nag at me.

I don't want to be rude either, or carry on an irrelevant argument. If you want we can take it to DMs to not further derail the thread or you can look over the past pages to see all these points and more thoroughly debunked.
You say debunked as if no one has given points for the opposite.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

so guys, is cuphead being on switch the "mario on ps4" level reveal that was teased earlier (i forget who but i def saw it on this thread)? I was kinda hoping for something bigger. I never played cuphead so i'm excited to try it out bc it looks to be right up my alley, but i hope theres something a bit bigger down the pike. Likening cuphead to mario just because he's exclusive is a bit dishonest imo.
If the rumours are true, maybe the next reveal in the near future would be a port of the Master Chief Collection.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Remember Sakurai isn't a god. It's possible he just can't make a character work. Captain Falcon is just a human. Pretty blank state to make any moveset with him work.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Finding reasons why we should discount Minecraft isn't going to make Steve any less likely. Really the best thing to do is to compare the pros each bring to Smash to each other and the roster. There have been millions of reasons by fans for why x character won't be on the roster before x character then inevitably makes it. The reasons for inclusions for characters usually come from Sakurai and are a far better guideline.
I only meant that FE and Xenoblade are notches above Golden Sun in terms of money pumped into them by Nintendo, and I guess I could add that they're both home console franchises (yes, FE later became primarily handheld, but its origins are in home console, and that likely had influence on them getting into Melee). Home consoles are the big brother, handhelds are the little brother, that's why I mentioned Pokemon as the one big exception, because it really is a big one.
Oh got it. Yeah, that's a fair point Nintendo hasn't put a lot of money behind Golden Sun in the past as it cited as a big reason DD failed the other being on the DS right before the 3DS came out. And while handheld game characters are in Smash they are all from series that started as console games save for Pokemon which never occurred to me. I'd say Sakurai needs to represent handhelds better as they have been a major front for Nintendo but most of the big titles on handhelds have belonged to those series. Still, GS was on the GBA box art and it's a series that deserves far more recognition than it got and still should have a playable character if nothing else from fan demand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom