• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Fair enough.

I guess I'm just sick of people throwing in the towel whenever Banjo-Kazooie aren't announced...even though the chance still exists.
We still have 4 slots left. I'll give up when they are all out and they declare no more newcomers. If it makes you all feel better you have to keep in mind that Sakurai wanted our duo since Melee. This means he had a clear idea how to make them work in Smash bros. Now with those old problems out of the way thanks to Phil Spencer, I really have faith that he'll deliver since the "Everyone is here" edict and latest newcomers all cater to fan demand and the days of the N64. Ganondorf having his N64 style is proof of this. K.Rool and Ridley were both fan demands. Dont believe the stupid meme lords on Gamefaqs and 4chan, they are just jealous we're keeping the faith despite their screeching and begging of us to accept meme picks like Steve.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
We still have 4 slots left. I'll give up when they are all out and they declare no more newcomers. If it makes you all feel better you have to keep in mind that Sakurai wanted our duo since Melee. This means he had a clear idea how to make them work in Smash bros. Now with those old problems out of the way thanks to Phil Spencer, I really have faith that he'll deliver since the "Everyone is here" edict and latest newcomers all cater to fan demand and the days of the N64. Ganondorf having his N64 style is proof of this. K.Rool and Ridley were both fan demands. Dont believe the stupid meme lords on Gamefaqs and 4chan, they are just jealous we're keeping the faith despite their screeching and begging of us to accept meme picks like Steve.
Pretty much this.

Also, happy 200th page, Banjoroos!

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
in my ideal world, Banjo makes it into Ultimate as DLC and the attention is enough to make Microsoft revive the IP with Crash/Spyro esque remakes of the two N64 games

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Rare wont make a new Banjo game and the great news is.. they don't have too.. much like Killer Instinct and the upcoming Battletoads game they can be made by completely different studios because Microsoft owns the IPs 100% and can do with them as they Please.. so don't be shocked if you see something Banjo-Kazooie related coming from some other developers..

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Uh I think Sakurai mentioned them being popular in Melee's era, but what other times did he mention them?

Klimax

Smash Ace
Rare wont make a new Banjo game and the great news is.. they don't have too.. much like Killer Instinct and the upcoming Battletoads game they can be made by completely different studios because Microsoft owns the IPs 100% and can do with them as they Please.. so don't be shocked if you see something Banjo-Kazooie related coming from some other developers..
I don't want Rare to make a new Banjo Kazooie anyway, they didn't make a good game since Viva Pinata and that was 12 years ago. And when I see how bad Sea of Thieves is (dUh MaKe YoUr OwN fUn), I think it's better if they don't do another game.
I truly believe we'll have a Banjo Kazooie major announcement for E3, maybe about Smash, maybe about a new game, maybe both. But to be honest, I just can't imagine the duo having nothing for E3.

Mr. Stagg

I don't want Rare to make a new Banjo Kazooie anyway, they didn't make a good game since Viva Pinata and that was 12 years ago. And when I see how bad Sea of Thieves is (dUh MaKe YoUr OwN fUn), I think it's better if they don't do another game.
I truly believe we'll have a Banjo Kazooie major announcement for E3, maybe about Smash, maybe about a new game, maybe both. But to be honest, I just can't imagine the duo having nothing for E3.
Let's get Retro Studios in on that action! They did a good job recreating DK with DKC returns. Plus it would be a nice joint operation between Microsoft and Nintendo.

Retro unfortunately wouldn’t do it because they’re basically first party to Nintendo. The only other company who would be perfect is Playtonic because they’re basically the old Rare. But Grant Kirkhope is constantly saying no new Banjo is being worked on as far as he’s aware, so they’re probably out of the question. I agree our best hope is for an outside studio to handle a new Banjo game but i dunno who else would do it. Perhaps one of the studios responsible for Crash and Spyro remasters?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I could see a second Fighter Pass being approved in the interim, but nothing more beyond that, since it'd be stretching things to the limit as it is, dev-wise.

Retro unfortunately wouldn’t do it because they’re basically first party to Nintendo. The only other company who would be perfect is Playtonic because they’re basically the old Rare. But Grant Kirkhope is constantly saying no new Banjo is being worked on as far as he’s aware, so they’re probably out of the question. I agree our best hope is for an outside studio to handle a new Banjo game but i dunno who else would do it. Perhaps one of the studios responsible for Crash and Spyro remasters?
Probably not VV, since they'll be busy with Crash for a bit. The best chance is for some upstart company using Kickstarter to produce a B-K sequel, ala Shenmue III and Toejam & Earl: Back In the Groove.

Also, the thing is, by the time Retro makes any new game, well...

29jyr3.jpg

Mr. Stagg

One thing I will not miss when all this is over is the endless smug and condescension from Steve-backers. Seems like every other Banjo support thread gets crashed with Blockheads posting that gross, greasy looking Real life render of him. All they got going for them are those hack leakers who dont know diddly about the DLC. Granted Verge-burgie got base game right, but DLC seemed to be separate from base game, meaning Verge has no say in the matter. And even if he is to be believed all Blockheads get is a boss.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I think Gears For Breakfast said they'd be interested in working with Rare IP some time ago. They made Hat in Time, so I wouldn't mind seeing them take the torch for a new Banjo.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So Master Chief was just deconfirmed by his creator. This increases our favorite bear and bird duos chances now with Steve as the only competition.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Mr. Stagg

And in other news, the sky is blue.

Kidding aside, I honestly didn't put much stock into him. The costume cameo in the Wii U port of Minecraft is extremely strenuous as a loophole for a Nintendo appearance.

Still though, between Frank and Suda, it's nice to see creators being so open about whether their characters have a chance or not.
He could've worked. Then again he'd be very close to being a Snake clone. Still, Chief had more personality than that Blockhead Steve so I'll take this as good news.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I still think Steve has a good chance. I'm not really against him either, so whatever. I'd 100 times over prefer Banjo Kazooie but a Minecraft stage would be neat.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I don't see a lot of people mention "Insomniac Games" which I think would be a great choice to take on the "Banjo-Kazooie" franchise, They have the experience and track record with established 3D platformer franchises such as the "Spyro the Dragon" and "Ratchet & Clank" series that have a lot of charm and sense of humor that should be right up Banjo-Kazooie's alley.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Or, if we are talking famous PS2 devs, how about Sucker Punch? The Sly Cooper games are still the best platformers the PS2 has to offer and I'd love to see how they'd tackle Banjo and it'd be nice to see them again as I don't know if they even made anything after Infamous.

I still think Steve has a good chance. I'm not really against him either, so whatever. I'd 100 times over prefer Banjo Kazooie but a Minecraft stage would be neat.
Steve is just a strange topic. Not that I have a problem with him or that I think he won’t happen. It’s just nobody was ever even talking about him until Vergeben came along talking about Minecraft representation. And then Hitagi came along talking about Steve being playable. Now nobody will ever shut up about how likely Steve supposedly is. Before Vergeben, everybody was team Banjo, but after Hitagi everyone suddenly scoffs at Banjo because of Steve. It’s just frustrating how one little thing can completely change the entire discussion

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
I think 2019 will really bring some much needed life and attention to the N64 and it's history, primarily because of the possibility of the N64 Classic. However, this could extend into other possibilities/events related to N64 games and their characters. For example, it's a great opportunity for Nintendo to recognize the 20 year anniversary and origin of Smash on the N64, which could result in some really amazing events or announcements for Ultimate.

I shouldn't get my hopes up like this but I am steadfast in my belief Banjo will be the 4th or 5th DLC reveal for Smash.

Mr. Stagg

Honestly that's the only thing going for Steve. His "character" design if you call it that clashes heavily with the Smash Ulti aesthetics and is just plain ugly compared to the other fighter. Plus the moveset potential is gimped due to the fact that Steve is just 6 textured blocks. As far as I know, Minecraft has no music aside from ambient synthesizer music.

Minecraft can offer an interesting stage, but no character or music, which is what's needed to be in the fighter pack. Aside from my disdain for Steve, I am against him because from a design aspect, he's got nothing on Banjo.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think Gears For Breakfast said they'd be interested in working with Rare IP some time ago. They made Hat in Time, so I wouldn't mind seeing them take the torch for a new Banjo.
It blows my mind that anyone would want this when there's an indie team made up of all the key players who created Banjo to begin with...

Now if only someone from Minecraft would come out and rule out Steve as DLC

Last edited:

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
No Master Chief is sad, but at least they came out and said it wasn't happening. Better than staying silent and leaving people guessing and theorizing.

Would still love to have Chief in Smash, if only to have him fight Banjo.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

I truly believe they'll be in Smash Bros one day...
Even characters like Geno or Isaac are in the game to some extend , even Dixie got a Mii hat. They're the only requested character left for me.

(And by requests , I mean , long-lasting requests , not stuff like Sora. He got a huge boost of popularity because of KH3 , but his demand was so small before that. The Bear'n'bird are requested since Melee , and they are like , the most requested characters , period.)

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
I'd be fine with both Steve AND Banjo. The spirits thing gives me real hope for Banjo, thankfully, but a Minecraft character would be great. I've never been into the game but it's a cultural phenomenon and the biggest, most famous (previously) indie game ever, so Minecraft definitely would have earned a spot.

I'm just here sitting down reading that thinking: "what".

Nonetheless I thought everyone thought Hitagi had false information after he hella backpedalled on Granblue representation and other false info.
Yeah there’s really no reason to take Hitagi seriously regarding Smash after he’s flubbed his info so many times now

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
He's probably saying that people are sleeping hard on Blinx. Maybe.

I don't see a lot of people mention "Insomniac Games" which I think would be a great choice to take on the "Banjo-Kazooie" franchise, They have the experience and track record with established 3D platformer franchises such as the "Spyro the Dragon" and "Ratchet & Clank" series that have a lot of charm and sense of humor that should be right up Banjo-Kazooie's alley.
Yeah, but the thing is that, like with Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch, they grew up from their "childhood" (Spyro) and "teenage" (Ratchet & Clank) phases, and now focus on a current "adult" one until further notice (since they recently are working on Spider-Man). Bit of an odd trend, with those three particular devs.

Yeah there’s really no reason to take Hitagi seriously regarding Smash after he’s flubbed his info so many times now
And even had the gall to use Verge as a shield, should anyone insult them.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I don't understand why Steve is still being talked about when literally everything he had going for him has crumbled....

Vergeben was 100% wrong on MC content being in Smash then says there's a boss that clearly isn't there.. he got false info and was trying to save himself.. he may have had good info through Ultimate speculation but he was bound to be wrong sometime and the MC info was it. He never committed to Steve even when other "insiders" were saying Steve... no one talked about MC until Verge mentioned it.

Hitagi was a fraud who was using her status as an insider as a means to get into Smash leaking and piggie backed off Vergebens info to her own downfall.. not only did she back pedal everything that she said after having a haughty attitude acting like she knew the DLC and what characters were and were not chosen for whatever reason's but she then went on to use the "false info" excuse after people starting figuring out she was a fraud. Except she stuck to Steve being in.. only because at that time Verge wasn't proven wrong about MC content.. then he said it was a boss who never showed up and here we have the saga from start to finish.

Then just to add on to the madness Joker gets revealed as DLC when everyone was expecting a Square Enix newcomer to be announced at the Game Awards... a character no leaker had mentioned because they don't know about DLC. Imo Steve's chances have plumeted to an all time low. His only reason for his existence in speculation is due to false information. Had that false info never been spread we wouldn't even be talking about Steve.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I don't understand why Steve is still being talked about when literally everything he had going for him has crumbled....

Vergeben was 100% wrong on MC content being in Smash then says there's a boss that clearly isn't there.. he got false info and was trying to save himself.. he may have had good info through Ultimate speculation but he was bound to be wrong sometime and the MC info was it. He never committed to Steve even when other "insiders" were saying Steve... no one talked about MC until Verge mentioned it.

Hitagi was a fraud who was using her status as an insider as a means to get into Smash leaking and piggie backed off Vergebens info to her own downfall.. not only did she back pedal everything that she said after having a haughty attitude acting like she knew the DLC and what characters were and were not chosen for whatever reason's but she then went on to use the "false info" excuse after people starting figuring out she was a fraud. Except she stuck to Steve being in.. only because at that time Verge wasn't proven wrong about MC content.. then he said it was a boss who never showed up and here we have the saga from start to finish.

Then just to add on to the madness Joker gets revealed as DLC when everyone was expecting a Square Enix newcomer to be announced at the Game Awards... a character no leaker had mentioned because they don't know about DLC. Imo Steve's chances have plumeted to an all time low. His only reason for his existence in speculation is due to false information. Had that false info never been spread we wouldn't even be talking about Steve.

Ye speak the words of truth fine person.

I'll also say there's a multitude of reasons why he can't even work as a fighter, such as the main gimmick of Minecraft: Building, crafting materials, destroying said buildings and materials is a bit too complex to be in a moveset for Smash Bros. a reason why Heihatchi from Tekken was cut from Smash 4, too complex for smash bros for a moveset. Otherwise it'd just be like if you combined Link and Villager into one character and uh... I think we have enough Link semi-clones and Villager only needs the one thank you very much. (Plus y'know, Steve has no personality while other player characters in the game such as Miis, Villager, Robin, Corrin, all have distinct personalities and at least express a multitude of emotion and personality through body movements and facial expressions... something Steve can't do due to the nature of Minecraft, how weird it'd be to have his limbs move that way and it's skins).

Though if you ask me he's a perfect fit for an assist trophy next game or as a DLC one like Sheriff was in Smash 4 since as an assist trophy at least he could actually do his game justice by actually doing what made it unique in the first place. Probably weird to have a desire for a character to be an assist trophy and think of it in a positive light but that's just my opinion.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
While this may not be much, NL gave out a list of snow/Christmas-themed levels to suggest trying out. Guess which one made the list?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...o_winter-themed_levels_to_play_this_christmas

That's right, our very own Freezeezy Peak.

Ye speak the words of truth fine person.

I'll also say there's a multitude of reasons why he can't even work as a fighter, such as the main gimmick of Minecraft: Building, crafting materials, destroying said buildings and materials is a bit too complex to be in a moveset for Smash Bros. a reason why Heihatchi from Tekken was cut from Smash 4, too complex for smash bros for a moveset. Otherwise it'd just be like if you combined Link and Villager into one character and uh... I think we have enough Link semi-clones and Villager only needs the one thank you very much. (Plus y'know, Steve has no personality while other player characters in the game such as Miis, Villager, Robin, Corrin, all have distinct personalities and at least express a multitude of emotion and personality through body movements and facial expressions... something Steve can't do due to the nature of Minecraft, how weird it'd be to have his limbs move that way and it's skins).

Though if you ask me he's a perfect fit for an assist trophy next game or as a DLC one like Sheriff was in Smash 4 since as an assist trophy at least he could actually do his game justice by actually doing what made it unique in the first place. Probably weird to have a desire for a character to be an assist trophy and think of it in a positive light but that's just my opinion.
Adding to your reasoning, the window of opportunity for reconsidering Heihachi ended up closing, since :ultincineroar: is his (second) former voice actor's final role.

An AT role would make a lot of sense for Steve though.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard anything from Vergeben recently?
I've been following his Reddit posts just to see, he claimed a few weeks ago after the Joker reveal that he was told by a throw away account on Gamefaqs that a "Sega character" was getting in as DLC... he never disclosed that info. At this point he can say whatever and no one can argue it because if he didn't publicly say it he has an out when people debate him to keep his reputation. He still claims a SE rep is happening and that he himself never said that a SE character was coming first.

I have nothing against Verge. I dont doubt his info was real obviously it was. I do however doubt the authenticity of his DLC info. Smash DLC was only leaked through datamines last cycle I doubt it's going to be all that different this time..

Top Bottom