• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I still feel like a lot of the 'evidence' besides Duck Hunt and their popularity is straw grasping but...

I think the Duck Hunt one is straw grasping, as they weren't in the demo so we haven't seen all their alts to know anything, like we did with Dark Samus and Chrom (and even then, there was uncertainty).

The main points in favor of Banjo & Kazooie:
- Phil Spencer gave an open invitation on Twitter in 2015, during the ballot (whether he was genuine is up for debate, but it's free publicity to have a character in Smash, almost everyone wants their characters in)
- Banjo & Kazooie's popularity was strong during the ballot, one of the top third parties & current understanding that the ballot was highly influential
- Nintendo and Microsoft's current partnership could have been going on for a while behind the scenes--business relationships like that don't happen over night (though it also may not go back four years as well)
- If Verge is right about there being Minecraft content, it means there is a deal, and would be fairly odd if Banjo & Kazooie were not involved (Minecraft Steve isn't happening over Banjo, however, even if there's Minecraft content in, it could have been added fairly late in development)

The main points against Banjo & Kazooie:
- While Microsoft may be willing to have Banjo in Smash, Nintendo could be another case entirely (though Sakurai could have twisted some arms to make it happen--if he wanted to, and that's also up in the air)
- Sakurai's statement on stages in the last Direct sounded very definitive that it was the total count (it would be weird to focus on the number 100 if there were more, though weird is not definitive in itself and his word choices were ambiguous)--and it's unprecedented for a third party to be in without a stage. That being said, if there were new characters/stages to be announced, they would of course not appear in the Direct. He said their goal was 100, but there's still uncertainty if he meant they met their goal and stopped, or surpassed it.
- Spencer tweeted his support again in 2018. We don't know the nature of any possible NDA, so we can't say if he would have broke it or not responding. It should be noted, as if he knew Banjo was in the best response would have been not to say anything. But him tweeting is also not definitive, as we don't know the specific nature of the potential NDA.

That's really it. Also I do find the book thing a little suspicious in the same vain as everyone's going crazy of pillows and chairs (as in, I find that very stretching). But hey, if the community can go crazy over pillows, I think Banjo fans like us can go crazy over blurry books (it looks really obvious in this tweet, but I'm not sure if it's photoshopped as it's a lot more apparent in the tweet than in other pics). However, if blurry books is stretching it, so are pillows/chairs. It's only fair. :upsidedown: (I tend to go with the latter)

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
how come the dark samus & chrom alts are gone but fox STILL has his wolf color alt & wolf is in the game ???

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
The japanese players guide is the only thing I could find that might possibly match that book, and even then it's a massive stretch due to there being very clear large yellow text at the top

JonSmash

Smash Ace
we need 4 chan to find out what that book is ! I mean if they could find shia labeouf's HWNDU Flag like 4 times over & troll him nonstop then there is nothing they can't do ! I mean there was just a stream of the flag on a wall (all the info they had to go on) & they found the house the flag was in shined a light on the flag to conferm it was on stream & tryed to fly a drone with a flame thrower throught the window to burn the flag LOL

maybe those crazy guys could find the book ?

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
we need 4 chan to find out what that book is ! I mean if they could find shia labeouf's HWNDU Flag like 4 times over & troll him nonstop then there is nothing they can't do ! I mean there was just a stream of the flag on a wall (all the info they had to go on) & they found the house the flag was in shined a light on the flag to conferm it was on stream & tryed to fly a drone with a flame thrower throught the window to burn the flag LOL

Good luck, 4chan is sick of hearing about Smash

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of favorite worlds, mine would definitely be Witchyworld and Hailfire Peaks from Tooie, those are two of my favorite levels in gaming period, let alone Banjo. Mad Monster Mansion is pretty nice, too.

how come the dark samus & chrom alts are gone but fox STILL has his wolf color alt & wolf is in the game ???
The Wolf color actually got heavily modified, presumably because Wolf is now in the game. Now the fur is basically purple.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Today, I learned that Breegulls are not a real species of bird. I wanted to prepare myself for realistic Kazooie in the event of worst case scenario.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
The wrench is the perfect netruel air though
Not a bad idea, But for an Neutral Air I was thinking more of Banjo's Pack Whack Spin(Would prefer it as a Down Smash,but why not both?) or Kazooie's Wing Whack Spin.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
So Nintendo Life posted an article of an interview with Steve Mayles, who openly said that:

1. He thinks Dixie is fairly likely to be in Smash, with Banjo being second most likely.
2. He knows personally that Phil Spencer is not opposed to the idea of including BK in Smash. Aka the guy who runs Xbox.

He also said that Banjo was created as a Nintendo character and is often still treated as such, even by Microsoft.

So. This is good news right?

Folt

Smash Ace
Dragon Kazooie is not a bad idea for a Final Smash ,but I feel like it would be too similar to Yoshi's Final Smash breathing fire and possibly flying around, and Wonder wing (which I also like) feels like any other power up pulled fron any game that has invincibility like Super Sonic and to a lesser extent Super Mario's Star Man, Ultimates Final Smash's are fast, vicious, straight forward, mostly automated attacks with epic cinematics which certainly fits Jinjonator a lot more, Just imaging Banjo and Kazooie summoning it and it shouting out JINJO with it's godlike voice !!! While performing explosive homing dive bomb strikes at opponents or the arena. If not Jinjonator, 2nd choice would be Daddy T-Rex.
Actually, I could see it work: Initiating the FS has Banjo-Kazooie rush forward with the Wonderwing activated, knocking fighters hit by them. This triggers a cutscene where the fighters that were hit fall in front of the duo, Banjo crouches down, out from his backpack comes Dragon!Kazooie who spews forth a massive burst of flames that engulfs the fighters, launching them away.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
He also said that Banjo was created as a Nintendo character and is often still treated as such, even by Microsoft.
For me, at least, this is big if true. This could be a key factor in why Microsoft has done jack with the IP.

On another note, this is good for Banjo in Smash though, since as long as Sakurai was able to convince Nintendo to do some legal talk with Micro Soft, negotiations could go way smoother than a lot of people think.

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
I just got done reading all 50 pages of comments here. I came to smashboards to get Banjo & Kazooie out of my head and just basically inflicted the opposite effect upon myself. A lot of really great points have been made over the months, close to 30 pages and 1000 comments just in August makes it seem like Banjo support is growing. I really need something to kill my time until December besides hyping myself up over these fictional characters.

Last edited:

TotalGoner

Smash Rookie
If Banjo and Kazooie get a stage, I don't see how it would be anything other than Grunty's Castle. Maybe a transformation stage moving to different level entrances, with the music morphing as it did in the original game.

Also, they'd be a shoe in for the "info" character for ultimate. Instead of snake hitting up his friend Otacon, or the goddesses cheering on Pit, imagine Grunty dropping sick rhymes about why all these storied Nintendo characters were going to wreck B&K.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
Man I have no words to explain how I would feel if we had K. Rool, Dixie, and Banjo all join the fray in Smash Ultimate!

And btw in regards to Phil Spencer's tweet in March I personally feel that he didn't break any NDA's of any sorts, but at the end his reply was a smart thing to do because it reignited discussion on Banjo and Kazooie which is good for both sides.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Re-reading the article, it doesn't specifically mention that Microsoft sees Banjo as a Nintendo character, but basically implies it.

He says that Phil Spencer "sees no reason Banjo in Smash couldn't happen", personally mentions that he's seen Banjo Kazooie movesets online and determined that "the fans have it all figured out!" (So congrats, Banjo's creator admires your movesets) And then says that they were created as Nintendo characters and he'd love to see them return to the system. A sentiment that he seemed to imply Phil Spencer somewhat shares.

Also, the whole article is mostly about K Rool and how awesome he thinks his support was, something that brought a smile to his face. He loves what Sakurai did with Rool and loves how the fans fought to resurrect him. He personally watched fans chant Rool's name during the last direct when he watched it in New York and he loved it.

So basically Big Daddy 90's Rareware finds us all impressive. As Rool/Dixie/BK supporters, there's hardly a bigger compliment to be paid.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I will be curious to see if Gregg remains silent for the next few days after this article with his brother dropped.

Steve has no obligations to NDAs, Gregg does, and Gregg hasn’t tweeted anything since the 21st...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I will be curious to see if Gregg remains silent for the next few days after this article with his brother dropped.

Steve has no obligations to NDAs, Gregg does, and Gregg hasn’t tweeted anything since the 21st...
Also, Gregg hasn't tweeted anything about Smash *at all*, aside from talking about K. Rool after he was revealed.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Also, Gregg hasn't tweeted anything about Smash *at all*, aside from talking about K. Rool after he was revealed.
It wouldn’t surprise me if even Banjo wasn’t in the base roster, he is planned for dlc or there are talks for him being added, which would force him to be quiet on the subject.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
So I revisited both Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie in the last few several weeks and 100%'d both of them for the first time, and the games still put a smile on my face the whole time I was playing (besides the last race with Canary Mary). I know BK isn't a series everyone with an N64 got into, but it's hard to deny how good/memorable these games are to this day.

I feel like I should be able to decide on my favorite worlds for BK, but I kind of can't. I like them all equally- besides Rusty Bucket Bay.
For Tooie, though, my favorites have to be Witchyworld, Terrydactyland, and Hailfire Peaks, with an honorable mention to Glitter Gulch Mine.

Also, it's amazing how being grown up makes a lot of video games so much easier. I remember taking so long to beat Grunty in Tooie as a kid, but now it's a total breeze.

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
I keep thinking if Banjo-Kazooie miss out on the base game for their debut, it's gotta be a near certainty they're DLC at some stage. The support will be too monumental at that point.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

I really feel it's some sort of manga cover, even if the book itself looks a little too big to be a tankobon. But it very much looks to me like a manga illustration of someone wearing bluish-green pants and a yellowish jacket, leaning or posing in kind of an odd way. It might even be a JoJo cover, it looks vaguely like Araki's work, but who knows. At the very least, we can tell it's read right to left, so it's printed in Japan, it has a blue cover, which would be unusual for a "normal" book, so it's probably related to manga or video games in some way, and it has large print at the top of the cover. If we look through popular manga covers, I'm pretty sure we would eventually find a match. But maybe it's not a normal tankobon and it's more of an art or guide book, which would make the search harder.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I keep thinking if Banjo-Kazooie miss out on the base game for their debut, it's gotta be a near certainty they're DLC at some stage. The support will be too monumental at that point.
That's my gut feeling too, As much as we all would like for them to be in the base game, If I would have to make a bet it's that they would likely be DLC, Unlike the other current most wanted newcomers that I believe can be confirmed at anytime in a direct, I feel like Banjo-Kazooie is the type of character Sakurai would have revealed at E3 or as the final character before launch, Which sucks for us because that would mean a longer and excruciating wait of uncertainty, But at the end of day, if they somehow make the roster, nothing else would matter.

Last edited:

smnashysm1

Smash Rookie
I never played this game but always saw it, he's definitely a N64 classic. He deserves to be on the roster at this point. He's featured it one of my favorite games, Diddy Kong Racing (speaking of which... CONKER?)

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I never played this game but always saw it, he's definitely a N64 classic. He deserves to be on the roster at this point. He's featured it one of my favorite games, Diddy Kong Racing (speaking of which... CONKER?)
It's great that your on board ,but just promise us one thing... find a way to play this game !!! Go old school on the N64 or play it on Rare Replay for Xbox One, If you like 3D Platformers this is as good as it gets and if you come to enjoy it, Then you gotta play the sequel Banjo-Tooie that's also available for the same systems, once you beat both games, Then you will truly understand why we are on this mission.

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
I'm not on the train of people who just go around recommending Banjo to people. It's kinda like recommending a 1980's Wrestling match to a modern fan and then having a hard time explaining why it's so good. They are obviously great games for their time, but they still have a lot of pitfalls of 90s games that may be hard for modern gamers to get past. But even though I think they aren't perfect, neither are many of the Castlevania, Megaman, or Pac-Man games from back then which are still considered all time greats. I would hope for Sakurai the idea of series importance or subjective game quality is overrided by the sheer fan investment these characters have, even though they only had 2 games during their peak era.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Reading the interview, I don't think Mayles implies that Spencer considers B&K Nintendo characters, or that even he does--just the simple recognition that they were created as Nintendo characters, and like me, want to see Banjo & Kazooie back on Nintendo (I would go further and say back home where they belong). He only mentions Spencer in regard to his tweet--but it should be interesting that Mayles thinks B&K have a chance, however small, as he's more knowledgeable of the industry.

I think that B&K are the only characters that could top Ridley and K Rool at this point for an announcement for the base roster. It would be slightly disappointing if they don't make the base roster, but I want them in Smash in any capacity. I do think if they don't make it into the base roster, they have an even bigger chance as DLC--but I worry as most polls coming out in 2018 seem to show they have less popularity than they did in 2015, and Steve's popularity is much bigger (how, I don't have any clue--he's not a Smash-worthy character). Hope I'm wrong, though. That being said, if they aren't in the base roster, they aren't being planned as DLC yet, as it's been said they don't work on DLC until the game is finished. And part of me does worry they may not do DLC, as they may see Ultimate as the complete package, but hopefully not, or if they do, Nintendo's love of money wins out in the end.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
NAH banjo kazooie/tooiee still hold up today even against modern game like SMG 1&2 & SMO.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I posted this in the Isaac thread but I thought you might appreciate it here too. It's a picture someone drew on Reddit of their most wanted characters: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9b5wcx/everyone_is_here_i_wish_art_by_me/
I actually think a lot of those characters are likely. Skull Kid and Bandana Dee to round out newcomers of the original 8's series (outside of Star Fox and possibly Pokemon, due to veteran's returning), Isaac due to his sheer popularity. Geno's the only one I'm hesitant on, in similar way of Banjo & Kazooie. I actually think Square would be harder to work with than Microsoft, but it all comes down to who Sakurai asks for. These are all the ones I go back and forth with in my predictions, assuming four unique characters are left, because they all fit in some way. If this was the actual roster, with additional echoes, I'd be set.

I originally thought that Square Enix were difficult to work with too....but I have heard that the reason the game only has two Final Fantasy songs is because of licensing issues (apparently some guy who owns the license is very difficult to work with) and that's made me think that it's not Square Enix themselves who are hard to work with.
I think that could be the case. Though I heard rumors there was really only one company that was difficult to work with to accomplish "everyone is here" and had it not worked out he would have had to come up with something else (not sure if an actual Sakurai quote or merely a rumor), and it makes sense. While having a Mii Costume in 4 definitely does increases a character's odds, as it shows they're popular enough for Sakurai to take notice, a lot of caution must be taken when extrapolating that to a newer title, where every contract has to be renegotiated (some people oversimplify it by saying Sakurai already has the rights to use Geno's likeness, but that only applies to Smash 4). However, if Verge is right, we have another SE rep, and if not a Cloud echo, Geno's the most likely.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I actually think a lot of those characters are likely. Skull Kid and Bandana Dee to round out newcomers of the original 8's series (outside of Star Fox and possibly Pokemon, due to veteran's returning), Isaac due to his sheer popularity. Geno's the only one I'm hesitant on, in similar way of Banjo & Kazooie. I actually think Square would be harder to work with than Microsoft, but it all comes down to who Sakurai asks for. These are all the ones I go back and forth with in my predictions, assuming four unique characters are left, because they all fit in some way. If this was the actual roster, with additional echoes, I'd be set.
I originally thought that Square Enix were difficult to work with too....but I have heard that the reason the game only has two Final Fantasy songs is because of licensing issues (apparently some guy who owns the license is very difficult to work with) and that's made me think that it's not Square Enix themselves who are hard to work with.

I mean they did allow various Mii costumes to be included in the game, so that's something.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I think that B&K are the only characters that could top Ridley and K Rool at this point for an announcement for the base roster. It would be slightly disappointing if they don't make the base roster, but I want them in Smash in any capacity. I do think if they don't make it into the base roster, they have an even bigger chance as DLC--but I worry as most polls coming out in 2018 seem to show they have less popularity than they did in 2015, and Steve's popularity is much bigger (how, I don't have any clue--he's not a Smash-worthy character). Hope I'm wrong, though. That being said, if they aren't in the base roster, they aren't being planned as DLC yet, as it's been said they don't work on DLC until the game is finished. And part of me does worry they may not do DLC, as they may see Ultimate as the complete package, but hopefully not, or if they do, Nintendo's love of money wins out in the end.[/QUOTE]

That's why fan support is vital right now, with the base roster apparently finalized in 2015, Sakurai has time after launch to decide who will be DLC since it hasn't started ,unless he's still using the ballot as the groundwork for newcomers that aren't in the base roster, but nonetheless we need to grab his attention for reconsideration if Banjo-Kazooie's only chance is DLC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom