• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A bit long, but here's my story:

When I was a very small N3ON, I'd spend most days after school playing on the 64 with my older brother. My oldest brother would grab the PS1, put it in his room, and get all FF7 or MGS or Tomb Raider or something. But my other older brother and I would play the 64 together. Or, more accurately, he would give me the controller when I finally wore him down. Even though we had Smash and Mario Kart and other games we could actually play together, the game we actually played the most was, probably, Banjo-Kazooie. Needless to say, even though it's been about a decade since I last sat down and played more than just the first few levels, I suspect muscle memory would still kick in for the whole thing, lol. I mean, I still know exactly where my Diddy Kong Racing Banjo figure is after moving across three different countries and having long lost our MK64 and OoT toys in the interim.

Then I was upset that they weren't part of Smash 64. I mean, obviously timing-wise it wouldn't be feasible, the games were released too closely together... but when you're seven, logic isn't a thing. I was then again disappointed they weren't in Melee, though my enjoyment of the game far outshadowed any real upset. Plus I was also disappointed Sonic wasn't in Melee, so, like, reality wasn't a priority of mine, haha.

Flash ahead a few years to when I find out Rare gets sold to Microsoft. We don't have an Xbox, and the prospect of losing some of my favourite series (Banjo, Diddy Kong - my idea of who got what in the deal was about on par with the Microsoft executives - Perfect Dark, Conker (shout out to hands-off parenting on those last two)) was a real blow, but not being able to get any of them, especially Banjo in Smash... ever... was crushing. I had a good cry, and my brothers probably made fun of me.

Eventually I accepted it wouldn't happen. It would always sting to think of what could've been (and it still stings to think of how Rare could've continued to flourish... or at least not flounder had they stayed under Nintendo), but we got Diddy Kong, we got Sonic, I was happy, and hell, even if we didn't, Smash games are amazing; I would've been content anyway.

Things are then basically radio silent on the Banjo in Smash front for a decade. Nuts and Bolts comes and goes, the series returns to the dark, Microsoft and Nintendo have yet to start making eyes at each other, and the most that comes from it is the occasional "hey maybe they could be exclusive to the 3DS version!" followed by a resounding "yeah... that'd be nice". Dark times to be one of the scarce vocal proponents of the character.

Flash forward again and the Smash ballot is hot off the presses and people are gearing up for the great campaign of 2015. Phil Spencer replies to a Banjo in Smash tweet at the perfect time to stoke the fire, and the impossible seems a little more possible. Not plausible... but less impossible. Banjo then proceeds to climb the ranks to sit up with K. Rool and Shovel Knight and the like. And we get Bayonetta. But... we also get Cloud. And it dawns on people something that should've been evident since... like... Snake? Sonic? Sakurai is one capable madman, and very few possibilities deserve outright rejection.

I needn't go over recent history, but flash forward one last time, and around a year ago I hear rumblings of a Microsoft character in Smash. Not of the Vergeben variety, from someone who occasionally whispers things to me. My heart tells me it could be Banjo, but my stupid practical brain reminds me that if the whispers are even true, there's a number of possibilities. Once Verg outs Minecraft, my reflex is, as I'm sure many have shared "****ing yuck". But it made sense, it still makes sense. It never hasn't.

Then a couple months back, I hear it is, in fact, Banjo. It's hard not to get carried away or to tip my hand with that kind of murmuring, even when you're sworn to secrecy. And hence my activity in this thread (I still wanted to hang around the Banjo hype), being almost entirely devoid of me speaking directly on Banjo's chances. Instead I focused on the fact that I will always believe that, despite the overwhelming sentiment, and while he is a square abomination, Steve does have business in Smash, should he ever make it. Though I would save myself $5.99. You might think it strange I'd spend so much time speaking on behalf of a character I had reason to believe wouldn't be included, nor even liked, (and I know I rubbed a few in here the wrong way) but I suspect some would be unsurprised to know, the devil has me on personal retainer as his advocate. ;)

However today does bring things full circle, as I was again left crying over Banjo in Smash. However, as opposed to ~15 years ago, these are joyful tears. And no one was making fun of me this time. Though ****, I wouldn't even care at this point. One of my most seminal childhood series has finally crossed over with another, in a union so so overdue. Truly an outcome that I, for the majority of my life, suspected time had closed the door on. I now know exactly how Chrono felt with Ridley.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Nintendo called the Banjo Reveal Trailer, "Best Friends", implying that DK, Diddy, KRool, and the bear are Boys

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I think it's an appropriate time to do this...

This reflects our situation perfectly.

Sqidward- Banjo fans. After years of disappointment, we were ready for that feeling again. Only for us to have the last laugh in the end and finally have something good to look forward to.

Squilliam- Steve trolls. (Not be be confused with steve fans like TheCJBrine TheCJBrine ) Overly confident with our failure that they feel the need to rub every point against us in our faces. Only for karma to come and bite them in the ass.

Spongebob/band- The reveal.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Not bad for a "Cereal Mascot", Am I right guys ?
What, you're saying you wouldn't buy a box of Jiggies? They're fortified with all the nutrients needed to form an important part of a gamer's balanced breakfast. Ooh, and with Jinjo marshmallows.

(I'm not even kidding, if they made a brand of cereal called Jiggies and slapped Banjo on the box, I'd buy that **** every week)

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Now all we need to worry about is what position they'll be on the tier list. Not that many of us care anyway.

In a few months, we won't be banjo fans...

We'll be Banjo players

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I had to take some time to cool down after the direct today. I'll admit that I've never had the chance to play the games myself in spite of my support of the duo but know I would love them as I am a big fan of platformers and collect-a-thons.

After watching the beauty unfold, I just could not stop laughing and screaming at how a Smash dream of mine finally came true. I've gone off the grid for a week just so I could have this experience spoiler-free, and boy was it worth it. For me, I don't have the long-winded nostalgia and personal experience, but I wanted this so bad because it's the sheer magnitude of such a monumental moment for both Nintendo and Microsoft to collaborate like this and bring these icons home. They were one of the kings during the N64 era that saw just as much advertisement and promotion as anybody else and they have every right to be here.

I just can't stop thinking about all the implications that a crossover like this has and how much this really means for everybody involved. Their gameplay is everything I wanted it to be and the number of details I spotted in the trailer is sure to get so many younger fans' interest piqued. You're going to see a lot more of a demand for Banjo games to be brought to the Switch and I am so extremely elated that this could all actually come true when just a few years ago, it felt like a dream more distant and out of reach than the top of Spiral Mountain.

Come this fall, you'll see me playing as the bear and bird, rarin' to go and guh-huh all the way through!

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
Congratulations, guys! I will have to admit, I was always a lowkey fan on the bear and bird despite never playing their games (really have to), and seeing them in action after all these years, I think I might have to add them to my ever expanding main list.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Obi-wan Shinobi: It's too late Steve. They have the high ground. *points to banjo kazooie*

Grotesque Steve: You underestimate my sales!

Obi-wan Shinobi: Don't try it.

Last edited:

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
I just wanted to say you are all wonderful people and the tears of joy I quite literally cried at my desk today during the reveal was a great experience to experience with everyone. If there is anything I can do to help to get in on this thank you letter to Sakurai / Phil / Rare, count me in.

Today is the best day in a long time and while we've had a series of constant lows and misfortunes for our Bear and Bird, I am thoroughly elated that we've held through it all and get to experience this. Fall 2019 will be here before we know it!
Looks like you can finally update that signature of yours friend. Your dream, my dream, and many others have finally become a reality today~

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Link: Guys! Where the hell are you? I'm getting my butt kicked by these evil clones!
Heroes: Let us lend you a hand Link!
Link: Thanks!
Meanwhile in Jungle Japes
Everybody else: WELCOME BACK BANJO & KAZOOIE!

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!

When I was a very small N3ON, I'd spend most days after school playing on the 64 with my older brother. My oldest brother would grab the PS1, put it in his room, and get all FF7 or MGS or Tomb Raider or something. But my other older brother and I would play the 64 together. Or, more accurately, he would give me the controller when I finally wore him down. Even though we had Smash and Mario Kart and other games we could actually play together, the game we actually played the most was, probably, Banjo-Kazooie. Needless to say, even though it's been about a decade since I last sat down and played more than just the first few levels, I suspect muscle memory would still kick in for the whole thing, lol. I mean, I still know exactly where my Diddy Kong Racing Banjo figure is after moving across three different countries and having long lost our MK64 and OoT toys in the interim.

Then I was upset that they weren't part of Smash 64. I mean, obviously timing-wise it wouldn't be feasible, the games were released too closely together... but when you're seven, logic isn't a thing. I was then again disappointed they weren't in Melee, though my enjoyment of the game far outshadowed any real upset. Plus I was also disappointed Sonic wasn't in Melee, so, like, reality wasn't a priority of mine, haha.

Flash ahead a few years to when I find out Rare gets sold to Microsoft. We don't have an Xbox, and the prospect of losing some of my favourite series (Banjo, Diddy Kong - my idea of who got what in the deal was about on par with the Microsoft executives - Perfect Dark, Conker (shout out to hands-off parenting on those last two)) was a real blow, but not being able to get any of them, especially Banjo in Smash... ever... was crushing. I had a good cry, and my brothers probably made fun of me.

Eventually I accepted it wouldn't happen. It would always sting to think of what could've been (and it still stings to think of how Rare could've continued to flourish... or at least not flounder had they stayed under Nintendo), but we got Diddy Kong, we got Sonic, I was happy, and hell, even if we didn't, Smash games are amazing; I would've been content anyway.

Things are then basically radio silent on the Banjo in Smash front for a decade. Nuts and Bolts comes and goes, the series returns to the dark, Microsoft and Nintendo have yet to start making eyes at each other, and the most that comes from it is the occasional "hey maybe they could be exclusive to the 3DS version!" followed by a resounding "yeah... that'd be nice". Dark times to be one of the scarce vocal proponents of the character.

Flash forward again and the Smash ballot is hot off the presses and people are gearing up for the great campaign of 2015. Phil Spencer replies to a Banjo in Smash tweet at the perfect time to stoke the fire, and the impossible seems a little more possible. Not plausible... but less impossible. Banjo then proceeds to climb the ranks to sit up with K. Rool and Shovel Knight and the like. And we get Bayonetta. But... we also get Cloud. And it dawns on people something that should've been evident since... like... Snake? Sonic? Sakurai is one capable madman, and very few possibilities deserve outright rejection.

I needn't go over recent history, but flash forward one last time, and around a year ago I hear rumblings of a Microsoft character in Smash. Not of the Vergeben variety, from someone who occasionally whispers things to me. My heart tells me it could be Banjo, but my stupid practical brain reminds me that if the whispers are even true, there's a number of possibilities. Once Verg outs Minecraft, my reflex is, as I'm sure many have shared "****ing yuck". But it made sense, it still makes sense. It never hasn't.

Then a couple months back, I hear it is, in fact, Banjo. It's hard not to get carried away or to tip my hand with that kind of murmuring, even when you're sworn to secrecy. And hence my activity in this thread (I still wanted to hang around the Banjo hype), being almost entirely devoid of me speaking directly on Banjo's chances. Instead I focused on the fact that I will always believe that, despite the overwhelming sentiment, and while he is a square abomination, Steve does have business in Smash, should he ever make it. Though I would save myself $5.99. You might think it strange I'd spend so much time speaking on behalf of a character I had reason to believe wouldn't be included, nor even liked, (and I know I rubbed a few in here the wrong way) but I suspect some would be unsurprised to know, the devil has me on personal retainer as his advocate. ;)

However today does bring things full circle, as I was again left crying over Banjo in Smash. However, as opposed to ~15 years ago, these are joyful tears. And no one was making fun of me this time. Though ****, I wouldn't even care at this point. One of my most seminal childhood series has finally crossed over with another, in a union so so overdue. Truly an outcome that I, for the majority of my life, suspected time had closed the door on. I now know exactly how Chrono felt with Ridley.

I was hoping you would return. Welcome back buddy.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Yes, bury that as well. Irrelevancy is a literal cancer that plagues Smash discussion and it never showed up until Smash started pushing characters and recent games with For. This only proves Smash doesn't need to advertise newer games, simply the characters people want will suffice.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
I keep watching the trailer AND LOOK HOW HAPPY BANJO AND KAZOOIE LOOK WHILE FIGHTING. This is the best day ever, can't believe it. I wanted these guys in 64 and then hoping for them in Melee and look at them now! This is so amazing!!!

KingBroly

Smash Lord
They are going to use that trailer again for the last DLC character, I'm confident in that. And that trailer won't have a Troll that time. It'll only be Cranky Kong. And everyone will lose their mind again.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
We did it everyone. After so much heartbreak and hard campaigning, they’re coming home. I never gave up hope. And the fact that this happened is only because of all of you guys. Best gosh darn E3 ever.

Also, you can bet a Banjo revival is on its way thanks to this. I’m just so happy right now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I haven’t seen the full Direct, in fact I only saw the Banjo reveal trailer. I even used my limited internet data on my mobile for it, as I have no WiFi currently... but whoa!!! I never could’ve dreamed this! I am now buying the Fighter’s Pass, no doubt about it.

Very happy to see Banjo and Kazoooe finally back after all these years. I admit I don’t get emotional about this, rather just..pleasantly surprised instead. This will do wonders for the repair of relationships between Nintendo and Rare. And that’s what I wanted for years... I’ll believe that however when I see it. Because it just seems to good to be true for now.

But anyway, a big fat congratulations to everyone here who fought the big fight! I never had too much faith in Banjo actually making it, but look at this now. Thank you all for your unyielding support!!

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Let's think for a moment...

Banjo is 100% owned by rare (a western company) which in turn is 100% owned by Microsoft (a western company). Meaning banjo is in the clutches of a western company who is also a "competitor".

Said character (who is created and owned by western competitors) hasn't had a game since 2008. A literal decade.

Banjo literally had more hurdles to go through than any other character and he still made it.

I never want to hear this fandom utter: "bUt ThEy'Re iRrElEvAnT" ever again.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Well, I can safely say this is the proudest and happiest I've been to take the walk of shame and come crawling back after being a doubter for two days straight

As penance for me doubting the duo, take this gift:

[Bigger version]
BanjoShowsOver.jpg

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
Looks like you can finally update that signature of yours friend. Your dream, my dream, and many others have finally become a reality today~
Hey! Long time no see, what a day huh? I got two new mains today from my most beloved franchises ♥

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Oi ChronoBound ChronoBound , come here and give this lucky fella a warm hug. :drfacepalm:

I'm beyond happy for you N30N. History's been made today.

Nintendo called the Banjo Reveal Trailer, "Best Friends", implying that DK, Diddy, KRool, and the bear are Boys
:2gud:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Think about it guys, History was made !!!

This is historic, A 1st Party Microsoft Xbox Character (Ex-Nintendo) has crossed back over in a 1st Party Nintendo Exclusive fighting game, This has never been done before... ever.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Can't wait to see Sakurai's famitsu column on Banjo & Kazooie.

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
Hey! Long time no see, what a day huh? I got two new mains today from my most beloved franchises ♥
Oh hey! I remember you! It's good to see you again buddy, heh. This is a pretty great day for all of us. Now we all have something amazing to look forward to this summer and fall for Smash~

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Yes, bury that as well. Irrelevancy is a literal cancer that plagues Smash discussion and it never showed up until Smash started pushing characters and recent games with For. This only proves Smash doesn't need to advertise newer games, simply the characters people want will suffice.
Good thing too. Now let the Power Stone renaissance begin!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Man I feel like my purpose is gone. I was only really here to support Banjo and Geno. The phoenix wright thread is not super active. What do I do now lmao

Top Bottom