• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
On the topic of Banjo's size, he's a Honey Bear which is one of the smallest if not the smallest species of Bear so it's true to his character to be on the smaller side. Besides if Banjo was a full size large bear the size implications for a breagull is terrifying in such a case.... I think Banjo should be a bit taller than Mario but that's it. Everything in his world is so much larger than him not too mention the original character concept was a human kid. I think Banjo was always intended to be on the smaller side.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Often in 3D platformers characters are shrunken down so that it is easier for the player to safely jump on things and attack enemies. Look at how much bigger Gnawties are in DK64...

View attachment 203992

I believe Banjo was always conceptualized as a full grown bear. But in his game everything was scaled up for gameplay reasons. I think it would look very strange seeing Banjo as this tiny teddy bear dwafed by the likes of Pit and other characters. Looking at Banjo's design, it would just look strange if he was Mario's size.
That's actually a giant Gnawty, the regular sized ones look like this.
Untitled.png
And Banjo next to one looks like...
Untitled2.png
Which makes Banjo quite small next to DK, you could say Mario sized, even.
Untitled3.png

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
I've always imagined Banjo being around the height of Mario or Luigi. Closer to Luigi, and maybe a tad taller than him at most.
So many NPCs in Banjo Kazooie just towered over the titular characters. Humba, Jolly Roger, Canary Mary...

Perhaps Banjo was designed as a full grown bear, but how he looks compared to so many other characters always made me think of him as being pretty tiny. If Banjo was much taller than Luigi it would look off to me.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I would be an awe of a DK sized Banjo. What a unit. Imagine how big Kazooie would be at that point.

Last edited:

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of Banjo's size, he's a Honey Bear which is one of the smallest if not the smallest species of Bear so it's true to his character to be on the smaller side. Besides if Banjo was a full size large bear the size implications for a breagull is terrifying in such a case.... I think Banjo should be a bit taller than Mario but that's it. Everything in his world is so much larger than him not too mention the original character concept was a human kid. I think Banjo was always intended to be on the smaller side.
Plus, when compared to Boggy who is the largest species of bear, Banjo’s a lot smaller. He’s never really been too big.

D

Deleted member

If that were to be his size dose that mean...?
3FD55300-DFE2-46A9-A84F-49DC0940E892.jpeg

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Well, the 2.0.2 update has dropped, and as far as I can tell, the only real change is added functionality for some upcoming Amiibo. Other than that, nothing's really changed.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Is it just me or does anyone else want to see more focus on Kazooie? I mean they're called "Banjo-Kazooie" yet the majority of the focus is undoubtedly on Banjo.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Further on the topic of Banjo's size, here he is next to Humba, who we can presume is an average sized human.
Untitled.png

There'd be no real gameplay reason to make her taller than a bear, Banjo is just a dwarf.

If Humba was around Link's height, that'd actually make Banjo smaller than Mario. I think it's fair to just size him to Mario like the other mascots.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I don't think size matters it's Smash Bros lol Banjo could end up being any height that isn't completely ridiculous.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
That's actually a giant Gnawty, the regular sized ones look like this.
View attachment 204027
And Banjo next to one looks like...
View attachment 204028
Which makes Banjo quite small next to DK, you could say Mario sized, even.
View attachment 204029
My point was that in 3D platformers characters and environment are often scaled up or down for gameplay reasons. Banjo and DK are much tinier than they usually would be. For example, in 3D Mario platformers your average enemies are a lot larger than they would be in 2D platformers. Basically everything in the Banjo-Kazooie games that tower over Banjo are probably not to scale.

Either way I personally would like him to be about the height of the average human character in Smash. Nothing huge like DK or Bowser. Remember, Diddy Kong is the same height as Mario in Smash. So I personally think it would look weird to have Banjo be the same size as Diddy. But that's just me.

No matter what, I think all of us will be happy to see him no matter what he looks like. Big or small. Heck, even if they use the Nuts and Bolts design I would still be happy that Banjo was in the game in some shape or form.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
So, a thought crossed my mind. Duck Hunt seems to be the 'smoking gun' we point to about a base character being used to form Banjo (Since as we know, Ike was used for Cloud and ZSS was used for Bayonetta)

I tried to think of who else could possibly be built out from Duck Hunt just to rule out any other possibilities, and about 40 mins in photoshop later...

Whoa.png

Whoa.png

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Figured I'd catch everyone up here with what's happening in the Social Thread:

Best Buy at it again!

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
So, a thought crossed my mind. Duck Hunt seems to be the 'smoking gun' we point to about a base character being used to form Banjo (Since as we know, Ike was used for Cloud and ZSS was used for Bayonetta)

I tried to think of who else could possibly be built out from Duck Hunt just to rule out any other possibilities, and about 40 mins in photoshop later...

View attachment 204069

Whoa.png
Duck Hunt fits Banjo because of the mammal and bird dynamic. I really can’t see Crash be used with Duck Hunt; there’s nothing that the two have in common other than them both being animals I guess.

DevinY1

Smash Cadet
I hope that Persona 5 on the Switch is real cause....It's gonna be super disappointing if it's not.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Please don't make media only posts, add same context to it
CAN ANYONE STOP NINTENDO?

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
CAN ANYONE STOP NINTENDO?

Sony will still be getting the exclusive R. So I wouldn't claim this as some sort of victory if all we get is a simple port and PlayStation still gets the good stuff

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

View attachment 204069

Whoa.png
If Duck Hunt Duo was anyone else it would likely be a quadrupedal character. Spyro more likely than Crash.

Thinking about it, maybe the duck would double for Sparx.

View attachment 204069

Whoa.png
1554281545590.png

whatcanpossiblygowrong.jpg

Flippant, but if Bubsy of all characters can get a new game with his very turbulent history surely Banjo-Kazooie will be in with a shout :p

Actually doing a playthrough of Bubsy now, the first game isn't terrible, has some charm, but its a clunky platformer with some strange level design.

Nice fan art here, looks like an ideal, modern Banjo render:

1554281299380.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
View attachment 204141

whatcanpossiblygowrong.jpg

Flippant, but if Bubsy of all characters can get a new game with his very turbulent history surely Banjo-Kazooie will be in with a shout :p

Actually doing a playthrough of Bubsy now, the first game isn't terrible, has some charm, but its a clunky platformer with some strange level design.

Nice fan art here, looks like an ideal, modern Banjo render:

View attachment 204138
Just out of curiosity, what makes you say that the first Bubsy game isn't terrible? I don't have much experience with it (mainly the first couple of levels), but between falling damage (in a platformer where your character dies in one hit) and trying to combine Sonic-style speed with a camera that's so zoomed in that you run into enemies before you even see/react to them, the game has a lot of fatal flaws in my eyes.

At least with Sonic, if you ran into enemies, you'd drop rings that could easily be recollected to give you more opportunities to survive. Playing Bubsy is like playing a Sonic game where all of the rings have been removed, and you can't spindash or roll to make it so you do damage while moving.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
My Fighter Pass Prediction atm is something along the lines of:
Erdrick
Banjo-Kazooie
Leon Kennedy
Crash Bandicoot

What do you guys think? Realistic? Do you like it?

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Erdrick
Banjo-Kazooie
Leon Kennedy
Crash Bandicoot

A nice balance of characters from platformers, rpgs, and a survival horror character. I dont care for Edrick, but this would be an excellent character pack.

BZocky

Smash Ace
Erdrick
Banjo-Kazooie
Leon Kennedy
Crash Bandicoot

These are nice picks and I can see this happening. Erdrick is heavily rumored and Banjo and Kazooie have the stars aligning in their favor. Sakurai has good ties with Capcom and the RE2make is doing really well so Leon seems in the realm of possibility, he primarily uses a gun but i know Sakurai has his ways of adapting characters to fit the game. Crash is highly requested by fans and iconic but personally i’d like to see Sir Daniel of MediEvil as my retro PS rep.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not a leak but insider ryce says banjo is a likely character for dlc
https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...the-wild-ride-is-still-on.91979/post-19476825
Is it weird that I'm more certain about Banjo being DLC than any other character? Like, it's Pac-Man-and-Palutena-in-Smash-4 levels of obvious to me, as silly as that might sound. I don't feel this way about potential Smash characters very often.

The words "thanks to our friends at Microsoft" recently appeared in a Nintendo trailer, and credible sources like King Zell have been hinting at a stronger partnership between Nintendo and Microsoft for months.

Banjo has been highly requested for Smash for literally two decades, and Phil Spencer has been so inundated with Banjo requests on Twitter that he felt the need to respond -- not once, but twice. Phil clearly wants it to happen, and it's the only Microsoft character he's ever mentioned in the context of Smash Bros. Sakurai is also keenly aware of the desire to see Banjo in Smash, and I wouldn't be surprised if he did well in the ballot as well. It really does feel like the stars are finally aligned for Banjo.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Erdrick
Banjo-Kazooie
Leon Kennedy
Crash Bandicoot

Honestly a solid lineup. I don't know how likely Leon is though. Crash is very recently a character I've started to warm up to about possibly being in Smash, so any lineup with him is welcome

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Erdrick
Banjo-Kazooie
Leon Kennedy
Crash Bandicoot

I’d absolutely love this line up. A good mix of styles and characters. I know my buddy would be floored if Leon or Claire made it in. Then practically all my closest friends AND ME would have their favorite third party choices in Smash!

Top Bottom