• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
There's nothing mysterious about that silhouette, it's not a redesign, it's based on an old render.
View attachment 157839
That's not Banjo's nose, it's Kazooie's head feathers.
Ha ha, your totally right! I completely forgot about this render! Now I see it..

I still stand by my theory though. . There's no reason to hide the design. Unless there's more to it

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It doesn't line up perfectly, being that the figure is, well, a figure, and they took the shot at a different angle, but it's 100% the same pose.
greiz84z4eb11.jpg

There may be some credence to it being a slight redesign, as Kazooie's wing feathers are a bit shorter and more stout, but I'd just chalk it up to interpretation.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
It doesn't line up perfectly, being that the figure is, well, a figure, and they took the shot at a different angle, but it's 100% the same pose.
View attachment 157843
There may be some credence to it being a slight redesign, as Kazooie's wing feathers are a bit shorter and more stout, but I'd just chalk it up to interpretation.
Yea, I just don't see why they'd hide it, even more so now that I know it's from an older render... I honestly forgot that existed I feel so dumb.... I think they're holding it back because we have a Smash Banjo reveal coming

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
View attachment 157843
Note also that Banjo's toes seem much thinner. Though, that could just be the angle of the base.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Im a bit late to the discussion but im here to support my favourite nintendo 64 duo Banjo and Kazooie XD.

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
Conspiracy time... so this past June Rare had tweeted about Banjos 20th anniversary. They had a few little announcements here and there a lot of it about merchandise. One thing they had teased was a Totaku figure of Banjo & Kazooie coming. Totaku figures are sort of Amiibo copycats but without the game integration. They showed a silouette and nothing else. The said mode info would be coming soon but it's been quite since.

View attachment 157835

My theory is that this Banjo design is different because it's going to be the new modern Banjo design. I think it's not being shown yet because there's another announcement that will coincide with it. I think whatever Banjo looks like will be the design used in Smash and Rare/Microsoft has Totaku holding off on a reveal because they want Smash to be the thing that reveals his updated design.

You may be thinking.. but wait! Why would a third party figure company wait to reveal anything when it has nothing to do with them. MS could have easily made the stipulations of giving them the Banjo license that they can only reveal the figure when they get the go ahead from MS. Which they won't get until he's revealed for Super Smash Bros.

I know Sakurai designs characters himself, but it's not crazy to assume he redesigned Banjo and then MS and Rare may borrow elements of the redesign to use from now on. You can clearly see from the shadow that Banjo is not entirely his original look or the Nutz and Boltz one either. His nose is more square like Nutz and Boltz but his body and hair on his head seem more classic. It's design choices I could see being done for Smash. After all I'm sure Rare had a lot of input on what Banjo should look like if he got into Smash.

My main reason for thinking this way is why else hide the figure. Why not just reveal him on the 20th and get it over with. Cleary the design is final since your showing the figures silouette. There's more to it and I feel like it COULD do with Smash Bros.

Another fun fact is when Banjo had his 20th people on Twitter asked if he was going to be in Smash and Rare said "that wouldnt be our announcement to make" they shared the K. Rool reveal trailer saying how cool it was to see one of their past creations get in Smash. I'm feeling like we may see something special for the Bear and Bird soon.
I hope this all truly leads to a reveal in Smash. As a grown man I’d probably cry.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
It
I still think the final reveal is gonna be Geno. It just feels right to have one of the most long-standing fan demanded characters be the final reveal for Ultimate.

Banjo is definitely my most wanted character though, so here's to hoping we see him.
I keep seeing people bring up Geno or Isaac, but honestly it would be pretty underwhelming if they made it in over Banjo Kazooie for the big final reveal if their really is only a few roster spots left, while their popular choices amongst the Smash community, Their pretty minor characters in gaming as a whole, Geno is side character in a one time Mario game that got replaced by the Paper Mario series and Golden Sun was a niche series that didn't sell too well during the GBA/DS era, Their just not at the same level as Banjo Kazooie status wise.I want to see a main character from a significant franchise who had a lasting impact and considering Banjo's situation they make way more sense as an out of left field impossible newcomer, than a safe and predictable one.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Plus to add to the idea that MAYBE they'd use aspects of Sakurai's Smash design for a new Banjo design in the future outside of Smash it happened with Megaman! You can totally see aspects of Sakurai's Megaman design in Megaman 11s design albeit altered but it's there... Sakurai is very good at his designs and he's very respected in the gaming community I can see any input he has being used for any future characters 3rd party or not. It's possible we could see such a situation with Banjo.
MegaMan11_screens_13.jpg

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Conspiracy time: What if Sakurai has intended and developed models of several Rare characters for Melee, but when Rare was bought out, he replaced the those characters with clones due to time constraints?
Im betting he would have added Banjo, Diddy or King Rool (perhaps why no trophy, or why there is trophy), and Joanna Dark. (given the cloaking device)

(Reposted from Ultimate thread)

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Conspiracy time: What if Sakurai has intended and developed models of several Rare characters for Melee, but when Rare was bought out, he replaced the those characters with clones due to time constraints?
Im betting he would have added Banjo, Diddy or King Rool (perhaps why no trophy, or why there is trophy), and Joanna Dark. (given the cloaking device)

(Reposted from Ultimate thread)
I always kind of thought about that too for Melee, Just like Diddy Kong Racing help introduce Banjo, I personally always thought they should of used Smash 64 to really push the duo into Nintendo All-Star Spotlight, kind of like how Pikachu was a newcomer mascot for the upcoming Pokemon franchise at the time in the late 90's.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
What if Microsoft release a new Banjo on Switch? Nintendo aren't exactly their rivals anymore, Microsoft already release their exclusives on PC and a new Banjo game would sell way more on Nintendo than Xbox.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It

I keep seeing people bring up Geno or Isaac, but honestly it would be pretty underwhelming if they made it in over Banjo Kazooie for the big final reveal if their really is only a few roster spots left, while their popular choices amongst the Smash community, Their pretty minor characters in gaming as a whole, Geno is side character in a one time Mario game that got replaced by the Paper Mario series and Golden Sun was a niche series that didn't sell too well during the GBA/DS era, Their just not at the same level as Banjo Kazooie status wise.I want to see a main character from a significant franchise who had a lasting impact and considering Banjo's situation they make way more sense as an out of left field impossible newcomer, than a safe and predictable one.
That's incredibly false. Golden Sun sold amazing during the GBA days both the Broken Seal and The Lost Age sold over a million units. It was only Dark Dawn that didn't meet expectations. Isaac is a hugely popular character that has been wanted since Brawl and while a distant 3rd is always right behind Ridley and K Rool. If they were going for a character to save for last he might not be the best choice (that probably would have been K Rool but Sakurai doesn't do "save big characters for last" anyways) but he would still an amazing hype generator. Isaac should have been in the last game along with Ridley and K Rool but the world isn't perfect sometimes, so don't write him off.

HaunterSpencer

Smash Cadet
NNID
HaunterSpencer
3DS FC
3583-3585-6107
Im not part of the Rare golden age, but I wanna see this duo go toe-to-toe with another duo Ice Climbers LOL
Heres me wishing for a remake ala N.sane trilogy for Switch.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
That's incredibly false. Golden Sun sold amazing during the GBA days both the Broken Seal and The Lost Age sold over a million units. It was only Dark Dawn that didn't meet expectations. Isaac is a hugely popular character that has been wanted since Brawl and while a distant 3rd is always right behind Ridley and K Rool. If they were going for a character to save for last he might not be the best choice (that probably would have been K Rool but Sakurai doesn't do "save big characters for last" anyways) but he would still an amazing hype generator. Isaac should have been in the last game along with Ridley and K Rool but the world isn't perfect sometimes, so don't write him off.
Eh, I looked it up and it says the first 2 games in the series were the only one to break 1 million units while the same can't be said the same for the 3rd one, but not very impressive considering the Massive install base of the GBA and especially the DS, probably explains why the last game was in 2010.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Look, Isaac represents the GBA and Banjo represents the N64, both get in, everybody wins!

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Eh, I looked it up and it says the first 2 games in the series were the only one to break 1 million units while the same can't be said the same for the 3rd one, but not very impressive considering the Massive install base of the GBA and especially the DS, probably explains why the last game was in 2010.
What? Dude games breaking over a million is insane especially for a new IP on a handheld. Just to hammer in how good that is Fire Emblem never had a game sell as well as either of the first GS title until Awakening and Xenoblade didn't until 2. It is darn impressive. Not really sure how you can come to the conclusion that isn't impressive actually. As for Dark Dawn like I mentioned that is the only game to not do well. Still, it's not like releasing a game on the tail end of the DS's lifespan did it any favors either. No matter the reason for DD's failure that doesn't change the fact that he is the next largest character not yet in Smash.

Look, Isaac represents the GBA and Banjo represents the N64, both get in, everybody wins!
That's the dream.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I haven't posted in this thread before. One of the characters I voted for during the Smash 4 ballot was banjo Kazooie. Got really excited at that time because of the Phil Spencer tweet.

Mona Pizza

Smash Cadet
I'd love to throw my hat into the ring here and shout out my 100% full support for Banjo-Kazooie. The bear and bird have been my number one most wanted character for Smash, since the days of Melee. I played Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie upon their respective releases in 1998 and 2000 and still play them annually for the sheer joy of it. I've been longing for the day that Banjo and Kazooie would join the Smash roster for nigh on 20 years and it hurts to see that they (as of yet) still haven't come home. Personally, I feel that they are among the most deserving of characters to be admitted to the Smash roster and for a game with 'Ultimate' as part of its title, quite frankly, I would be absolutely flabbergasted if they were not included.

Yavga

Smash Rookie
That tweet worries me...
If anything, it could mean that he’s disgruntled he has no say whatsoever in what happens anymore since the IP is property of Microsoft now, Gregg might have been the one who hindered his inclusion earlier all those years ago... during a timespan where there was tension between Rareware and Nintendo because Nintendo stopped supporting Rareware... You never know! But we know he was considered for Melee but “Grown-up issues” stopped anything from happening.

Notice the next tweet from someone:

“Only 18 more years until the level design genius will have retirement age and he is not even interested yet - may be an infinite wait :(.”

To which Gregg answers:

“18 years? I'll be long retired from the industry by then!”

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I've been quietly following this thread, and lately I've come to the conclusion that Banjo-Kazooie not only should be in Smash, but could also. I think it's pretty plausible for them to make it, their ballot presence was probably pretty good, especially after Spencer's tweet, and they're a classic character anyway with the outcry been there for a while, I presume. And also, while it probably won't be any sort of competition and the newcomers will likely just be shown at a random order, if anyone were to "top" Ridley/K. Rool, I feel like BK would be a good candidate for that. So count me in as a supporter!

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
While that tweet is a bit of a downer. it doesn't mean Banjo won't be in Smash
or that there won't be a new Banjo game in the future, someone else might be working on it. or Gregg might decide to work on Banjo again eventually.

in other Banjo discussion, a question has been buzzing around in my head today, since Pokemon Trainer is back, transformation characters are possible again.
SHOULD Banjo & Kazooie have a transformation style moveset based on their Split Up gimmick from Tooie? or are they fine together (it's how they're best after all)
so while we can have some discussion on here about that, I also made a poll to see what the overall opinion is.
(I probably included a few too many options, but whatever.)
if you guys have a free minute, feel free to vote for your preferred option

Poll can be found here

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
The two working together as one unit works better, but I also am not as huge of a fan of Banjo-Tooie as I am of the first game which I hail as top three of N64 (along with the two Zeldas)

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
It kind of sounds like he's just tired of constantly being asked to make a new Banjo game since it's not his or Rare's call, It's Microsoft who gets a final say, so he probably just gives a flatout no so people will quit bothering him about it, best case scenario he's keeping quiet so he doesn't break an NDA if a new game is in the works ,but i doubt it.

Last edited:

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
the current head of rare craig duncan said in an interview with DK vine I beleave (not that long ago around a year or so) that he doesn't wana work with old IP & wants to focus on new IP & the futer of rare (like sea of "no mans sky" thieves) & will only make new games for old IP if they can do something new or different (AKA gimmicks) so it don't look well for a new banjo game B/C this jerk wants to just keep trying new things witch has worked wonders for rare the last what deacade ? wasn't Kinect sports there only real true sucsses ? & that was a wii sports rip off :/

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Voted the bottom option because, while I don't know much about moves in Nuts n Bolts, Banjo Pilot and Diddy Kong Racing should not be included in Banjo's moveset. They don't have any character specific moves and none of the moves that they do have really fit the duo. I would love to see DKR representation but not like this. Not as part of BK in Smash.

Eggs can be whatever feels right and, realistically, that probably means some but not all of the alternate types. Moves should pull from the 2 main series games and the handheld one, IMO. Grunty's Revenge deserves some love. And, if we are getting DK in Smash, it should be part of Diddy's own moveset, in the form of a throwable green balloon or as a Tajj assist trophy.

And no, we don't need to overcomplicate them with a split up or transformation mechanic. Not when ig was being a pair that defined them in the first place. Szve that for any reunion games.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Fine, sell Banjo back to Nintendo then and they can license the game through playtonic
Nintendo should just bought the rest of their stake when the oppurtunity came up, I wonder who was the genius in charge who turned them down, It really boggles my mind that a developer with that kind of track record didn't get snatched up by Nintendo right away, Hell they rejuvenated the DK franchise and made it what it is today and were slowly building a stable of their own successful franchises as well. (Now to wait for someone to tell me that all the good talent has left and they aren't what they used to be.)

Last edited:

Yavga

Smash Rookie
Nintendo should just bought the rest of their stake when the oppurtunity came up, It really boggles my mind that a developer with that kind of track record didn't get snatched up by Nintendo, Hell they rejuvenated the DK franchise and made it what it is today and was slowly building a stable of their own successful franchises as well. (Now to wait for someone to tell me that all the good talent has left and they aren't what they used to be.)
Nintendo is conservative and very strict in their way of doing business, Rareware wasn’t doing business the way Nintendo would like them to do business but sometimes I wonder if they regret their decision...

I doubt it because most of Banjo-Kazooie’s staff left by the time Microsoft bought them. Nintendo made a smart decision by selling a company that had lost its’ strongest cards.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Now that I think about it, the tweet does not header his Smash chances, only his chances for a new game

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Fine, sell Banjo back to Nintendo then and they can license the game through playtonic
And what would Nintendo do with it then? Split the collectathon platfomer fanbase in 2? How would they modernise the series without making it play too similarly to Mario? We all know that's why Diddy Kong Racing hasn't come back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom