• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Worst timeline is if Steve gets in over Banjo. No offense to people that love that idea but goddamn I hate Minecraft's art style. It is so damn ugly.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Worst timeline is if Steve gets in over Banjo. No offense to people that love that idea but goddamn I hate Minecraft's art style. It is so damn ugly.
To be fair to Minecraft the graphics were made by an indie studio that had to prioritize functionality over aesthetics considering the building part of the game and the low polygon count would help immensely in building the crazier stuff without lagging or overwhelming the engine. Still, I have to agree with you, the art style for that game is just not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah, and honestly… as a Nintendo fan playing, after all, a nintendo game, I would feel getting Steven over Banjo to be a super stupid decision that really wouldn't appeal that many players at all, specially long time nintendo/smash bros players. Sure it would please Minecraft players, but let's be honest, that game's total playerbase easily doesn't have a huge % of its playerbase also playing Smash… even if we got Minecraft on Switch. Meanwhile, anyone who has played Banjo has most likely played Smash Bros or vice versa since the N64. Sakurai is pleasing the fans more than the companies. Minecraft, if anything, will get AT treatment imo, just like mostly any other indie game. Putting Banjo in would definitely align with what Sakurai is doing, which is to please the fans, mainly the Nintendo ones that come from so long ago (hence why we are getting dreams come true such as Ridley and K Rool). No way Steve is gonna be playable over Banjo, that would be just 200% dumb imo.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Count me in as a supporter. This may or may not have been said before, but the fact that Banjo & Kazooie were considered for Melee shows that they're still on Sakurai's radar. Since it also seems like Sakurai is using the ballot to gauge character popularity/demand with fans, Banjo & Kazooie being a common pick on the ballot looks good for them.

Similarly, I'm fearful of Minecraft content being the end-all be-all. I really don't like Steve's design or concept. He seems like a basic sim character but, we do have Villager and Steve has an assortment of weapons and abilities that could probably translate well into Smash. Banjo though does it so much better, having so much more material to pull from.

One thing that works for Banjo & Kazooie too is that Sakurai doesn't seem to care what children born in 2008 have to say about characters from the N64 and SNES eras, hence Ridley, Simon Belmont, Mega Man using his NES design, and King K. Rool. A looooooot of these new kids had no idea who they were but they made the cut anyway. Hell, I was surprised that Mega Man didn't have his more modern design. That said, since Steve is the newer character, that doesn't exactly mean that he's definitely in over Banjo & Kazooie or that Sakurai would make an attempt tojust appeal to newer players.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yeah the way I see it sakurai has to approach M$ about banjo being in smash & based on the ballot poll results he most likely did, & given M$ & nintendo's relation ship working together as far back as 2013/14/15ish getting jetpack/DK64 on WiiU VC, minecraft on switch & 3DS, a 2DS that LOOKS like a creeper ! & even cross play ! like i can unlock xbox achevements on my switch ! & minecraft gave us BANJO back on switch! yes he is a skin in minecraft but then rare said banjo in minecraft is canon so.... ether way

Sakurai must of approached M$ phil being the head & knowing BK 20th is soon & knowing that this smash might be releasing near its 20th & wanting to strengthin M$ 1st party IP as he has been saying, no better way then to 1 get good pr, 2 advertisment & 3 news coverage of this would easly want banjo in smash but i could see them wanting to add steve as part of the banjo deal, i mean nintendo did help publish mnecraft in japan if i'm not mistaken so putting steve in smash would benifit them both! so if banjo is in then steve is in in some way or form, there is no way they would miss this opertunity to get both banjo & minecraft into smash & what better way then to introduce all the little minecraft loving kids to (not only banjo for M$ side) but to smash & all of nintendo's IP, I know a LOT of kids who basicly only play minecraft but if they see steve in smash they might get hyped & buy it & be exsposed to all the nintendo IP !

so I don't see one getting in over the other i feel like banjo & steve are a packeged deal it makes to much sence not to be & they might not ask for a cut of smash profits as nogtiations may give them other things like they see this as advertising banjo & minecraft more then lending out there characters as the xbox one & the xbox brand isn't doing so hot right now & xbox is desprate as F#*@ lol

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Didnt Phil Spencer tweet about Banjo earlier this year? That’s the one thing that bothers me.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Anyone notable in the know with a twitter account is probably told to respond to a question like that at least once a year.

I mean over in the Shantae thread I think people are suspicious that Shantae is in because WayForward have been so quiet, so being quiet probably just brings more attention to you.

Last edited:

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
As has been said a million times, what Phil Spencer said in March of this year wouldn't break NDA. A guy asked if he was still willing to include Banjo in Smash. Phil replied "Yup". All he said was that he is still willing, he didn't confirm or deny anything. He specifically chose to reply to that specifically worded comment to keep people's hopes up.

Also it was a little crazy seeing Banjo get almost 1,200 posts in 1 month. I guess it was K Rool getting included or something that added fuel to the fire

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
As has been said a million times, what Phil Spencer said in March of this year wouldn't break NDA. A guy asked if he was still willing to include Banjo in Smash. Phil replied "Yup". All he said was that he is still willing, he didn't confirm or deny anything. He specifically chose to reply to that specifically worded comment to keep people's hopes up.

Also it was a little crazy seeing Banjo get almost 1,200 posts in 1 month. I guess it was K Rool getting included or something that added fuel to the fire
I definitely think King K.Rool was a big reason why there is a "Rareware Resurgence" and it lit a fire in this fanbase and Dixie Kong's too, any time he's brought up Banjo-Kazooie gets mentioned as well for being from the same company, creators and etc.There also seems to be a ton of overlap from supporters from both groups and lot of them say that King K.Rool and Banjo-Kazooie are their Top 2 most wanted newcomers (Myself included), Banjo-Kazooie is my most wanted ,but K.Rool was a close 2nd and now that the King has returned, I can focus all of my attention to the bear and bird and it's great to see that we have a strong ally in our corner of K.Rool Supporters/Kremling Kutthroats backing us up.

Last edited:

ToastyMann

Smash Rookie
NNID
ToastyMann
This looks great! Hoping to see them included in Ultimate. I was never much of a fan of the games, but they're apart of Nintendo history and I think they deserve it.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I lost my mind when King K. Rool got revealed, Right when the Direct was about to end and the screen started to shake, I was like "There's only one obvious character big and heavy enough to do that" and once I noticed the pattern of the good guys vs bad guys montage I was expecting him ,But then the second I saw DK yawn, I started to slowly breath heavily and was thinking "No way, It's finally happening" his last appearence was a decade ago and last Main appearence was nearly 20 years ago, They couldn't have done a better job unveiling his big comeback, Not only was it great to bring K.Rool in Smash ,But also the long awaiting moment to reestablish his role as Donkey Kong's main antagonist. With Retro Studios last couple of takes on the Country series and King K.Rool's grand return, This is the best shape the franchise has been since the Rareware era and the future is looking bright too.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeah, I can't imagine Sakurai doing it. While technically I can't know what he thinks, I have a very strong feeling that in addition to popularity/relevancy, moveset potential matters above all else. Banjo & Kazooie have a unique design, a two in one fighter that fights as one, a variety of skills (flight, egg shooting, beak buster, rolls, etc). And they're Nintendo legacy characters, regardless of who currently owns them, as many people, including me, still associate them with Nintendo. Not to mention all of the characters, settings, music that could all lead to potentially great stages, assists, trophies, remixes. Steve has none of that--he just comes from a popular series, and most people play as skins rather than Steve.

I also wonder how much of the support is genuine, and how much of it is ironic or being contrarian. Although, I do try not to speak for them, so I assume there are many who genuinely want him. But it just feels like it's a joke character like Goku and Shrek, but since he is a video game character, he's "technically" allowed in the polls. It's like if they can't get Goku and Shrek, they might as well go to their next best option. But that's just a feeling, not what I actually believe.

I wouldn't be surprised if Minecraft did have representation, through a stage and assist. Since you don't like the art style--what would you think of Minecraft getting representation outside of a playable character, if it meant Banjo was in?

Any word on if that leaked photo has potential to be real?
Discussions died down around the time I went to bed, and skimming the pages it didn't look like anything new came up. There was one person who posted a gif, where it shows he could align the "leak" with an official image. Though, if it is a fake, and I always had a suspicion it was, it's a really good one, and I'd love a good quality version of it regardless, as I really like that design compared to the Smashified version. Only thing that's really off to me is the freckles and his teeth--even then, if it was their official render, I'd love it.

EDIT:

https://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/429940289

More """""leaks""""" of screenshots coming out of /v/ again.

It is interesting to see Banjo in these, its bizarre. I don't think I've ever seen this many with them involved. It'd be pretty funny if one of these turned out to be real....
Whenever a "leak" with Banjo & Kazooie pop up--I want to believe. So I understand those who really wanted Agnes to be real despite the writing on the wall. Banjo does look off, especially his hands and expression-less face. Dixie's alright, though I'm not as familiar to know what to call BS on. It is great, though, after so many fake leaks with B&K barely getting a mention, the floodgates have opened. And fake or not, it gives me an excuse to talk about Banjo & Kazooie, and that's a good thing in my book.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
FAKE ! Why the **** is banjo's arms SO DAMN LONG LOL XD & dixie got he knee leg things back ???

Last edited by a moderator:

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
yeah whats up with the long arm hotdog fingers banjo....UNLESS ! treasure trove cove cheat codes ! will big head banjo be in smash XD

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

More """""leaks""""" of screenshots coming out of /v/ again.

It is interesting to see Banjo in these, its bizarre. I don't think I've ever seen this many with them involved. It'd be pretty funny if one of these turned out to be real....
So uhh… unlike fake renders on a roster, this should be easier to debunk if people found out where are those two from… but doesn't seem like it has been debunked yet… regardless of how weird banjo looks (maybe it was just a weird frame to take the screenshot?… and the quality might make it look even more weird, plus have in mind if this is a WIP moment of the game, it could be real but it will look better when the animations are finished and such…) I don't know… it hasn't been debunked yet, which is what worries me / hypes me a bit atm…

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
So uhh… unlike fake renders on a roster, this should be easier to debunk if people found out where are those two from… but doesn't seem like it has been debunked yet… regardless of how weird banjo looks (maybe it was just a weird frame to take the screenshot?… and the quality might make it look even more weird, plus have in mind if this is a WIP moment of the game, it could be real but it will look better when the animations are finished and such…) I don't know… it hasn't been debunked yet, which is what worries me / hypes me a bit atm…
Could be the quality of the image too lends us to see Banjos fingers as just the entire hand as opposed to seeing any palm area first, expressionless eyes and basic walk cycle could be WIPs of their animations. Theres also this dark patch at the end of Banjos pants that confuses me, it looks like its a different color or it could be the mesh is clipping within itself.

Usually these get debunked quite quickly, not that I believe this personally, but it's not like I've seen these particular models before anywhere else. Dixie looks alot more further along than Banjo does, kinda would make sense to me that she'd look better considering she'd just be an echo and hence less work to do.

As odd as this image may be, I'm putting this in my 'interesting' folder next to the render that's been piece by piece been shown online. Fascinating stuff.

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Banjo looks really off and his hand rofl!
It could be from an early stage of development where the models where really not polished or maybe it is actual and they are yet to be polished.
Anyways good to see more and more leaks with the beloved duo

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
who i played as.jpg

So who's games have you guys played ? Roy is in a grey area to me but I consider melee is 1st game so I'd use him :p

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
This dude brings up a good point
Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 12.37.15 PM.png

They could still be polishing him up specially if he is the last reveal we could get as final surprise or whatever. Who knows… I just hope it gets debunked fast if it is fake otherwise i'm gonna be nervous about this one lol, not that i want to believe it blindly but it's harder for me to discard it so fast being 3d models, in comparison to how easy it is to discard just artwork renders, since those are actually just drawn and it's easy to spot that they are drawn or whatever. Also someone in that 4chan thread pointed out that this is the first leak with dixie that remembers her kneepads, which is curious to say the least.

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Also someone in that 4chan thread pointed out that this is the first leak with dixie that remembers her kneepads, which is curious to say the least.
That caught my attention too, really interesting. Often overlooked detail in her design.

Also whats up with the background? Does it kinda look, minecraft like to you, or is it just me?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Everyone, please look at these Aces-style renders of Cappy and Pauline for a moment. Fairly convincing-looking, aren't they? Done on June, no less.
https://www.deviantart.com/zieghost/art/Mario-Tennis-Aces-Odyssey-Duo-750459921

So why can't these fake leakers get any competent artists?
I'm the weird case that I could probably pull something like that off but I'm not willing to because i actually want real stuff and not waste my time making fake stuff, lmao. But I guess Omni already proved that it doesn't matter how good a leak can look it can still be 100% fake anyway. These fake leakers not going to the same lengths of making great quality fake leaks now is just a waste of time, cause we are never gonna believe anything less good looking than omni, specially now that renders are WAY better looking than in Smash 4. I guess it's a good thing tho, it means render leaks and menu leaks are way easier to discard than ever before. 3D model leaks during gameplay is where the sauce it's still at if pulled off great without being able to track the source of the models. This is why the Banjo Dixie leak still has my attention until they show me where that's from.

Anon just posted this, typed like OP. Rarely EVER see a Geno 3D model.
Now I'm interested.
HOLY COW… ok… this is what is intriguing, both geno and Banjo never had modern 3D models… these are the type of leaks that interest me, because any character that currently has modern 3d models are easy to fake and such, but these type of old characters… yeah i'm interested in seeing how they get debunked, or if they can be debunked at all.

Last edited:

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
yeah i'm interested in seeing how they get debunked, or if they can be debunked at all
What's crazy is this model of Geno looks like Smash Quality, its really good. I've never seen anything like it, and I do 3D artwork for a living. OP did claim the other 'test cell' was testing Geno, while his was testing Dixie and Banjo, and then later he posts this.

Unprecedented stuff, and Geno's renders only go as far as his SMRPG stuff.
I'm beginning to turn the corner on my doubt.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
What's crazy is this model of Geno looks like Smash Quality, its really good. I've never seen anything like it, and I do 3D artwork for a living. OP did claim the other 'test cell' was testing Geno, while his was testing Dixie and Banjo, and then later he posts this.

Unprecedented stuff, and Geno's renders only go as far as his SMRPG stuff, all incredibly all, even few fan made 3D models.
I'm beginning to turn the corner on my doubt.
I have seen a few but i'm not sure if all of them… does this model match any of the fan made ones so far?

Top Bottom