• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Atmoz

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5145-1574-6323
Didn't that lootcrate thing get released? I've seen some Banjo license plates from lootcrate hit ebay. Anyone know the story on this??
On Lootcrate's Gaming website, it clarifies that the crates for the "Sidekicks" theme (which initially included Banjo's franchise among the likes of Sonic and Mega Man) generally arrive to the consumer between the 28th to the 10th of next month.
The Banjo license plates that are on eBay seem to be for one of last year's gaming Lootcrates as it donned a 20th anniversary theme.

MissingGlitch seems to have summed it up best: At the point of time the logo was removed, everything would of already been packed and ready to ship to subscribers. It would be way too late to remove the Banjo stuff.

It implies either:
A) Banjo-Kazooie was never intended for this month's lootcrate (which would mean the logo was added and stayed up for several weeks without anyone at Lootcrate noticing), or
B) Banjo is in this month's Lootcrate, but Microsoft had asked for the logo to be removed for some reason.

Upon looking at the initial reddit thread where people found out, it seems divided. OP said Lootcrate told them that there would be a BK item in the crate, but others said that Lootcrate had told them that there was no BK item in the crate. Implications are that option A is what happened.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
One of them did a Chunky Kong piece. So that art doesn't mean anything, if it did, they'd be breaking NDA.
You're telling me you don't want Chunky Kong Racing! For shame.

As I said, it's a long shot, but out of all the art pieces that one seemed the most perplexing to me. If Playtonic isn't working with RARE or Nintendo, then they wouldn't be breaking NDA to what seems to be a harmless work of art. Of course, I don't really believe it. Just having fun with the idea. ;)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sm...-for-switch-leak.100918/page-14#post-18203684

Here it is. Take it as you will. It still doesn't rule out the possibility of an echo fighter anyways.
That's interesting. So there's just some ponytailed (or pigtailed) character being worked on, but whether it's related to Joker or not (or is even a character versus some supporting cameo) is, as of now, undetermined.

But Kid Icarus actually was placed on the pedestal right next to Metroid and Zelda back in its day, Nintendo promoted it as a major title of the same caliber as those other big names. Kid Icarus absolutely was regarded as one of Nintendo's greats back in the late 80s, heck, they even put Kid Icarus as a major character in Captain N the game master, above Samus and Link even...
Yes, they also put King Hippo in that show. Meanwhile Zelda had its own show.

Nah, everyone who thinks Pit was just another rando and bias pick is clearly either misremembering, or doesn't have their history straight. It was even destined for multi generational releases, sadly that didn't turn out due to unforeseen circumstances, but it was destined early on, and that's why Sakurai decided to update Pit's design in Brawl as if he had continually gotten generational game releases, just as Link and Samus had gotten, because that's what Kid Icarus was meant to be... Unlike Balloon Fight, Ice Climber, Urban Champion, Clu Clu Land, etc etc.
I'm not saying his inclusion was random or biased, he was a popular request, and the game did stand out above those early NES titles in terms of pedigree. I just dispute it being at a Metroid or, especially, Zelda level.

And yeah, Kid Icarus was probably originally intended to become serialized, but the fact that it didn't and the other two did isn't just incidental.

Takamaru was much earlier, never released outside of Japan, and was not made as big of a deal when it released, but still bigger than most of those other minor games, could be why we have an Assist Trophy of him but not much more. And Golden Sun, as previously stated, was an out of house development project, and those have a big uphill battle to deal with, as Nintendo doesn't often push for them as much as their in-house games
The point was not that they were in the same situation, because they weren't, it's that being remembered and requested on the internet isn't inherently the mark of coming from a series of tremendous significance.

(like you rarely see cameos and references to those games in their EPD and other partnered game releases, but you'll see in-house IP referenced and cameo'd all the time, just look at WarioWare, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, etc). Kid Icarus though, it got references... Remember the Tetris end screen? Heh.
View attachment 200453
I mean, yeah, exactly. That stuff is much less of a headache for Nintendo to acquire. Same reason we got Star Fox icons on the Switch over Kirby or Pokemon ones - that doesn't make it the more prolific series. Cameos aren't indicative of status.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Kid Icarus certainly wasn't as big as Zelda, and it was a sister series to Metroid, slightly beneath it perhaps, but the point is, it was among them, it was pushed alongside them and Nintendo treated it like one of the big dogs, even if it did come in third place after Zelda and Metroid, it was still third place.

I guess we're on the same page then... But hey, King Hippo getting in Captain N is no fluke either, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out was also a big deal in NA back in the day!! And Little Mac totally deserved to get in too, luckily Punch-Out was revived prior to Smash 4, so we didn't get the same repeat situation as Kid Icarus in Brawl. Not that it's necessary, just look at K. Rool, and who we all want most, Banjo-Kazooie, they haven't been in games in a long time, but just because they aren't relevant doesn't mean they aren't important to Nintendo's history in some way.

hinode

Smash Cadet
Japanese sales (source):

Legend of Zelda: 1.69 million
Metroid: 1.04 million
Kid Icarus: 1.09 million

Note that this comes with the major asterisk that Zelda and Metroid were released on the Famicom Disc System add-on, whereas Kid Icarus was a base Famicom game and thus had a strictly larger userbase to sell to.

Worldwide sales (source):

Legend of Zelda: 6.5 million
Metroid: 2.7 million
Kid Icarus: 1.7 million

Zelda is pretty clearly on a different level of popularity compared to the other two. Metroid and KI were comparable in Japan, but the former was bigger worldwide by a pretty decent margin.

1.7 million is still a pretty good number for a brand new, non-licensed IP in the 8-bit days. It was a much bigger deal back in its day than something like Earthbound or Xenoblade 1 or the GC/Wii Fire Emblems, all of which were pretty niche sellers.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Had no idea Kid Icarus sold more than Metroid in Japan, and that makes it all the stranger that they didn't get the sequel on Game Boy until the 3DS eshop re-release... Huh...

But I figured it was in third place anyway, and just slightly beneath Metroid overall, that's still very good, and still enough to call it "among them".

(and Banjo-Kazooie is in the top ten best Selling N64 games of all time list, barely making it in at #10, but for it to even get there is impressive, as its the only franchise that was born on the N64 to make it there).

Justin Little

Smash Ace
https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-direct-speculation-ot.98257/page-279

So NewWabiSabi has said he has heard that RARE Replay may have some changes on the Switch version. That would be a bummer if we didn't get the Xbox titles. I have played most of them except Grabbed by the Ghoulies so it doesn't bother me personally, but Nuts N Bolts, Kameo, and Viva Pinata are very much worth playing by the Nintendo audience.

Oh well, I would gladly sacrifice them if I could play Diddy Kong Racing and Goldeneye again.

hinode

Smash Cadet
IF Microsoft actually ports over Banjo-Kazooie and -Tooie to Switch (and that is still a big if at the moment), then I think their chances for the next Smash game are really good. For Ultimate DLC it depends on how far along the negotiations were last year, as well as whether there are any further waves of DLC happen.

The main thing that kept BK out of Brawl and especially Smash 4 is the fact that ultimately they weren't third party characters, but rather first party characters for a competing platform. Banjo supporters might not have cared much about this distinction, but I am completely confident that it mattered to Nintendo's lawyers and corporate executives. Microsoft shifting gears to the point where they are an actual third party publisher for Nintendo (and not just their largely autonomous Mojang division) quite literally changes everything for Banjo, in my opinion.

Personally I've never played any of the Banjo games and don't have any emotional attachment to them, so take my opinions as you well.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
It's no surprise that if Rare Replay does come to Switch some changes will probably have to made and the big question is likely Rare's Xbox output and if they can get them to run on the Switch which I would imagine would be quite a challenge.

I personally have never played anything Rare made under Microsoft, I did have Rare Replay when I temporarily had an Xbox One, But only managed to play Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie before I sold it.

Xbox era: Don't care for Ghoulies and Kameo, But I am interested in playing Nuts & Bolts, Perfect Dark Zero and Viva Piñata, But wouldn't really miss them if they had to be cut for technical reasons and replaced with DKC Trilogy, DKR and Star Fox Adventures.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
It's no surprise that if Rare Replay does come to Switch some changes will probably have to made and the big question is likely Rare's Xbox output and if they can get them to run on the Switch which I would imagine would be quite a challenge.

I personally have never played anything Rare made under Microsoft, (I did have Rare Replay when I temporarily had an Xbox One, But only managed to play Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie before I sold it) Xbox era: Don't care for Ghoulies and Kameo, But I am interested in playing Nuts & Bolts, Perfect Dark Zero and Viva Piñata, But wouldn't really miss them if they had to be cut for technical reasons and replaced with DKC Trilogy, DKR and Star Fox Adventures.
Viva Piñata is fun game. Brutishly difficult, but fun.

Perfect Dark Zero... probably the worst game I have ever played.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Ghoulies might be safe since it runs natively in the Rare Replay itself.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
A Nintendo version of Rare Replay would be something else. Would be pretty great for stuff like Donkey Kong games. But lose out on all the other 360 games.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Is it possible that the reason why DKC 1-3 were missing from the datamining of Switch's SNES game code possibly due to the games perhaps releasing as part of Rare Replay on Switch?? Wouldn't that be just incredible.

I'd still love to play all of the old Microsoft Rare games that I never go ta chance to try out, like Nuts & Bolts, but if they're unable to store them on the card, I'd certainly take the DKC games, especially since this year is DKC's 25th anniversary!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Is it possible that the reason why DKC 1-3 were missing from the datamining of Switch's SNES game code possibly due to the games perhaps releasing as part of Rare Replay on Switch?? Wouldn't that be just incredible.

I'd still love to play all of the old Microsoft Rare games that I never go ta chance to try out, like Nuts & Bolts, but if they're unable to store them on the card, I'd certainly take the DKC games, especially since this year is DKC's 25th anniversary!
Don't forget Donkey Kong's 64 20th Anniversary as well which is in the same month of November as DKC, It seems like the time is ripe for a new entry in the Country series or possibly a sequel or reboot of DK 64/3D Platformer which is long overdue.

I love both and would be happy with either one, But the Country series is what revived and made what the Donkey Kong franchise is today so I would prioritize a 3rd entry reestablishing King K. Rool and the Kremlings and to have some closure on the modern Country trilogy for the time being and just like the banana the time would be ripe for a big 3D Donkey Kong Platformer afterwards, Plus I would absolutely love to see the DK Crew return.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
with a possibility of rare replay getting ported over on the switch but with the xbox games to be removed in favor of the Donkey Kong Series, Diddy Kong Racing, and Star Fox Adventures(and possibly Mr. Pants(remember that?)) do you think it's possible that the 360 games(and grabbed by the ghoulies) would be ported separately on their own for the switch?

Last edited:

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
I don’t get it. Aren’t there rumors of the Masterchief Collection coming to Switch too. That game is like 73 GB apparently so I’d imagine if they can get that on the switch, a couple of old 360 games wouldn’t be that impossible. Maybe I’m just deluded to my liking of Rare’s Xbox titles since I would really love to play Ghoulies, Kameo, and Viva Piñata on the Switch.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm sure it might be some deal Nintendo struck. Nintendo might want to showcase some Nintendo IP rare games instead of Microsoft funded rare games. Basically wanting the Switch version of Rare Replay to be about Nintendo/Rare history and not Microsoft/Rare history.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I have little doubt that Diddy Kong Racing would be in Rare Replay first and foremost. The Rare Replay that released didn't contain either of Rare's big N64 racing games so I'm sure that was a sorepoint for them.

Star Fox Adventures too!

If you think about it though Rare Replay Switch doesn't HAVE to stick to 30 games. It was a compilation to celebrate Rare's 30th anniversary. Which was 4 years ago now, and even back then it was a strong consideration to keep adding more games as DLC. A Switch release would be more in line with being a celebration of Rare in general. Especially considering the pool to pick from with their Nintendo stuff is so much deeper.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I own Rare Replay after playing some of the Xbox games that I didn't own like Ghoulies, Viva Pinata, Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo etc. I can say that it's no big loss if they swap them out with the DKC trilogy, DK64, Diddy Kong Racing, and Star fox Adventures... in fact i would prefer it. The Nintendo era games are better in my opinion. Though Viva Pinata isn't too bad, and Kameo is alright..

SKX31

Smash Master
I own Rare Replay after playing some of the Xbox games that I didn't own like Ghoulies, Viva Pinata, Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo etc. I can say that it's no big loss if they swap them out with the DKC trilogy, DK64, Diddy Kong Racing, and Star fox Adventures... in fact i would prefer it. The Nintendo era games are better in my opinion. Though Viva Pinata isn't too bad, and Kameo is alright..
Why not both the Nintendo titles and the Xbox ones?

It's not like the titles mentioned (DKC / 64, Racing and SFA) take up tons of space. The only title that's redundant is Perfect Dark Zero (since the original fills that niche and is much more liked). The other Rare title in uncertain waters is Conker's Bad Fur Day - that's not due to the game itself, but rather Nintendo's (at least past) views on it and them (perhaps) not wanting to stir any old skeletons in the closet.

What I'm saying is, you only need to strike out Perfect Dark Zero to get a lot of the space needed for the Nintendo Rare titles. I don't agree with striking out Conker, but could see it since Nintendo views that game (likely) in a much more negative light than most. Since I find that likely in a Nintendo Rare Replay - boom, you have both DKC and Viva Pinata in the same package.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think the problem with the Xbox games on Rare Replay is that they're all running on the Xbone's 360 emulator, which probably wouldn't work as well on Switch.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Star Fox Adventures is the one game I'm looking forward to the most and would play first if a Nintendo themed Rare Replay does get announced, Even though I grew up gaming during the N64 and Gamecube era, I never got the chance to play it, But has always been on my radar for long time and I've been hunting for a copy in good condition recently to add to my Rareware collection.

It's only fitting that not only is it the last major Rareware game I have yet to play, But it's also the last one they made under Nintendo before the buyout and gave us a sneak peak of what we could have expected from them during the Gamecube era.

Last edited:
I think the problem with the Xbox games on Rare Replay is that they're all running on the Xbone's 360 emulator, which probably wouldn't work as well on Switch.
I mean if they can get Cuphead on switch as well as several other last-Gen games (Doom, Skyrim, etc) I don’t see why they couldn’t figure out a way to get these games running on Switch as well

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Why not both the Nintendo titles and the Xbox ones?

It's not like the titles mentioned (DKC / 64, Racing and SFA) take up tons of space. The only title that's redundant is Perfect Dark Zero (since the original fills that niche and is much more liked). The other Rare title in uncertain waters is Conker's Bad Fur Day - that's not due to the game itself, but rather Nintendo's (at least past) views on it and them (perhaps) not wanting to stir any old skeletons in the closet.

What I'm saying is, you only need to strike out Perfect Dark Zero to get a lot of the space needed for the Nintendo Rare titles. I don't agree with striking out Conker, but could see it since Nintendo views that game (likely) in a much more negative light than most. Since I find that likely in a Nintendo Rare Replay - boom, you have both DKC and Viva Pinata in the same package.
I don't know what you mean about Conker, but Nintendo were very supportive of it. It's Microsoft that censored their release of it.

SKX31

Smash Master
I don't know what you mean about Conker, but Nintendo were very supportive of it. It's Microsoft that censored their release of it.
Refferring to two events (Using Mundorare's Chronicle on the buyout as my primary source for this):

First, the commercials for the game were shifted to late night and Playboy in America. Otherwise, no marketing at all, not even in Nintendo Power.

Second, Nintendo of Japan and Europe both refused to publish Conker, NoE letting THQ do it instead (and saving the game's release in Europe at the 11th hour). Even then the game wasn't published in Spain because THQ's local affiliate refused.

Really, it might be a case of Nintendo being paranoid about casting light on its past business decisions surrounding Conker. On the other hand, getting Conker as part of the Rare Replay could remedy that ("Look, we've learned from our mistakes!") and, if you ask me, actually be the better option than leaving it out. But I'm not counting out the chance that Nintendo makes the decision to leave it out - and on illogical terms.

(Not to mention, I have several counterarguments against Nintendo locking out Conker on a potential Switch Rare Replay. Not just the impact that adult media like South Park and Rick and Morty has made since Conker's release - but also Nintendo being fine with Eternal Darkness just a couple years after Conker.)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Really, it might be a case of Nintendo being paranoid about casting light on its past business decisions surrounding Conker. Getting Conker as part of the Rare Replay could remedy that ("Look, we've learned from our mistakes!") and, if you ask me, actually be the better option than leaving it out. But I'm not counting out the chance that Nintendo makes the decision to leave it out - and on illogical terms.
This is really off-topic but, Nintendo seems a lot more cool with M-rated games in the last years.

SKX31

Smash Master
This is really off-topic but, Nintendo seems a lot more cool with M-rated games in the last years.
Which can only mean one thing:

Banjo / Conker crossover game on the Switch when?

I can only begin to imagine Kazooie's snark when the duo first sees Conker.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Refferring to two events (Using Mundorare's Chronicle on the buyout as my primary source for this):

First, the commercials for the game were shifted to late night and Playboy in America. Otherwise, no marketing at all, not even in Nintendo Power.

Second, Nintendo of Japan and Europe both refused to publish Conker, NoE letting THQ do it instead (and saving the game's release in Europe at the 11th hour). Even then the game wasn't published in Spain because THQ's local affiliate refused.

Really, it might be a case of Nintendo being paranoid about casting light on its past business decisions surrounding Conker. On the other hand, getting Conker as part of the Rare Replay could remedy that ("Look, we've learned from our mistakes!") and, if you ask me, actually be the better option than leaving it out. But I'm not counting out the chance that Nintendo makes the decision to leave it out - and on illogical terms.

(Not to mention, I have several counterarguments against Nintendo locking out Conker on a potential Switch Rare Replay. Not just the impact that adult media like South Park and Rick and Morty has made since Conker's release - but also Nintendo being fine with Eternal Darkness just a couple years after Conker.)
I see what you mean, but Nintendo ran an E3 event with like alcohol and condoms for Conker prior to release lol.

We just got both South Park games on the Switch and Nintendo funded Bayonetta 2. I don't think they're at all worried about Conker being in a compilation...

ChinaCat

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4209 0037 4617
If the game would be rated E without Conker, they wont add him. It would be dumb business wise to bump rare replay to a Mature title just for conker which in nintendo's eyes is probably going to cost them younger sales. I don't know if perfect dark n64 would still be considered a M title these days, Can ratings change? Im not sure but polygonal shooters aren't quite as realistic as they once were.

You don't want an M rating hindering sales when 90% of the content is going to be family friendly ala banjo and donkey kong

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
If the game would be rated E without Conker, they wont add him. It would be dumb business wise to bump rare replay to a Mature title just for conker which in nintendo's eyes is probably going to cost them younger sales. I don't know if perfect dark n64 would still be considered a M title these days, Can ratings change? Im not sure but polygonal shooters aren't quite as realistic as they once were.

You don't want an M rating hindering sales when 90% of the content is going to be family friendly ala banjo and donkey kong
Probably the same reason I'm willing to bet Nintendo really tried to keep Ultimate under a Teen rating, Not that it's as big of deal content wise as I'm sure your average/casual consumer would see Mario on the front cover and would still assume it's safe.

Fun Fact: Killer Instinct SNES/Arcade was originally rated Teen, But when it got rereleased with Killer Instinct (2013) for Xbox One it got rerated as Mature.

I mean if they can get Cuphead on switch as well as several other last-Gen games (Doom, Skyrim, etc) I don’t see why they couldn’t figure out a way to get these games running on Switch as well
I don't know about Cuphead ,But the main difference is that any major 3rd Party release would be created with flexibility in mind so it can be released on multiple platforms.

Rare being a 1st Party studio for Microsoft would have likely used an in-house engine that was made with the Xbox/Xbox 360 hardware in mind which would be much more challenging to port over if even possible to another platform with different hardware architecture.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Perfect Dark is also M/18. Not just because it was a shooter (Goldeneye was Teen).

Losing 2 of the biggest games would be significant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom