• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’m gonna sift through whatever so happened in here but I will be throwing these out...

1) if you don’t have anything nice to say about someone, then don’t say it.

2) This is the Banjo thread. I get why Steve? talk may happen but it’s gotten to the point that it not only derailed the thread but obviously got lots of people angry - especially those who wants to talk about Banjo. That being said, people who support Banjo should not be so knee-jerky to people who support Steve?. Please try to have a civil discourse about the merits of both characters. Calling a character “garbage” does not foster engaging discussion.

3) There are thousands of threads and a handful of staff. Reporting let’s us know what’s going on. Please be mindful that doesn’t mean that the report will be taken care of according to what you intended to be though.

4) We have the Ignore function if you disagree with someone and don’t want to see their posts. If you don’t want to ignore people, you can simply just walk away from the issue.

5) Please keep in mind that we will temporary close the thread if it gets out of hand again. I understand if it’s one user causing issues for the rest of the thread. However, this was a thread wide issue with many members contributing to it. We will close it temporary if it happens again.

6) Pleade don’t mini-mod. It’s ok to remind people the rules but it’s not non-staff’s place to enforce the rules.

I will be going through the thread so I apologize if the issues isn’t instantly resolved. It’s also a national holiday, I have the day off, we have a fresh blanket of snow, and I’m taking my daughter sledding.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Come to think of it, we still don't know how many songs each fighter will get, do we?

I'd hope for at least five per character.
I wouldn’t even mind it if Erdrick just came with two while the others had five.

Having him in Smash is enough for me.

D

Deleted member

Come to think of it, we still don't know how many songs each fighter will get, do we?

I'd hope for at least five per character.
I think they would vary based on whether they are third party or first party, and then what specific third parties they are.

*ahem*

square-enix-logo-16-9.png

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I guess it depends on how generous the company decides to be with the rights. We might get 2, we might get 20.
Yeah, like, assuming Erdrick does get in like many are saying, I'm assuming the bare minimum for music. But with someone like Banjo I think they could maybe get a decent selection.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
these fourms have been nothing but toxic since you guys showed up, it dosn't matter how steve would work don't talk about that here

I also want every kazooie & tooie song ! castlevanea got 30 songs

D

Deleted member

these fourms have been nothing but toxic since you guys showed up, it dosn't matter how steve would work don't talk about that here

I also want every kazooie & tooie song ! castlevanea got 30 songs
30 Banjo-related songs would be neat, indeed.
Although I would only expect 7 of them at best to be new covers.

D

Deleted member

so what game composer whould you wana see remix a banjo song ? & witch songs ?
Grant Kirkhope and David Wise would be neat options for the N64 tracks, and maybe the persons behind Gangplank Galleon, Crocodile Cacophony and the Map Level (DKC) covers.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
You guys are forgetting the best thing banjo would bring along with him...

The death of the "relevancy argument".

Megaman and k rool have already severely weakened it. It'd be up to the duo to deal the final blow

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There is no "rule" that says characters have to be relevant or keep appearing in games to at least be considered for Smash.

The entire argument is a fan rule.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It should have. But now people are like:

"B-but his series is still going. Banjo's entire franchise is dead."
At that point it's just moving the goalposts. :p
I'd say normally relevance would be a factor, but K. Rool does show that enough support can outweigh it. So that, at the very least, bodes well for Banjo. If Banjo doesn't get in, it won't be for lack of relevance.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I remember one of the Japanese commercials for Tooie had a remix of Jolly Roger's Lagoon with the telltale "Japanese march song" vibe to it, so I think Japanese composers can adapt to Grant Kirkhope's style without much issue.

Yoko Shimomura would be a super obvious pick, I'd love to see her take on a Banjo song. And with violins? Sign me up.

I also have a soft spot for the works of Junichi Masuda / Shota Kageyama and other Pokemon composers, so I'd welcome their covers with open arms.

Someone mentioned ACE, and that'd be amazing too. As a big Xenoblade 2 fan, a mash-up of BK music in a Xenoblade-esque style would be... kind of bonkers, to be honest. If they can do it with Gangplank, they can do it with Banjo.

But the thought of Kirkhope himself remixing old BK / BT songs for Smash gets me hyped beyond words, I have to say.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
It should have. But now people are like:

"B-but his series is still going. Banjo's entire franchise is dead."
Which proves nothing. Sure, Donkey Kong as a series is still going, but that doesn't change the fact that, prior to Smash Ultimate, K. Rool's last major appearance was in Mario Super Sluggers (a Mario spin-off); after that, he had virtually no major appearance in any sort of game, let alone a Donkey Kong game. That's roughly a ten year gap between appearances; at that point, K. Rool was pretty irrelevant in general, and yet here he is in Smash Bros after so long.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Yeah, as others have said K. Rool didn't just weaken the relevancy argument, he killed it entirely.

Honestly a lot of these "arguments" and "rules" the community have built up over the years are really bogus and limiting to what Smash can be. If you look at the characters Smash Bros has added as of late you can easily see the rules they might've set for themselves, if there ever were any, have definitely been laxed to whatever Sakurai and the Smash Team want to do in that moment.

-Joker hasn't appeared on a Nintendo console iirc correctly and Cloud Strife has appeared maybe twice as cameo roles. Neither have very strong connections with Nintendo.
-King K. Rool is as irrelevant as a character can get, yet still made it in over more current mainstream possibilities.
-Pac-Man, Villager, Mii's and Ridley have all been deconfirmed by the team, and then subsequently added as newcomers despite this. This is even considering the many other problems Ridley had in front of him being included at all. Animal Crossing now has two original representatives after the team decided they weren't fit for combat.
-Snake and Bayonetta, while definitely toned down in Smash, do push the boundaries of including M-Rated characters in Smash.
-A Piranha Plant is the 70th fighter added to Super Smash Bros.

As much as some people in the speculation community might not want to accept it, rules are pretty flexible and slim when it comes to the Smash Team's decisions. If they want to add Master Chief, Waluigi, or Mickey Mouse they are going to try to add them. If they don't see the need to, they probably won't bother.

And yeah, I definitely do see how replying to a speculation thread with "rules in speculation are pointless" is definitely going against the whole point. There are some basics that people can agree on when it comes to who can/will be added to Smash, of course. Stanley the Bugman probably isn't going to be the next DLC fighter yknow. All I'm saying is that the team have shown that they're willing to trump the rules in order to make the characters they want to make.

Hypothetically, it wouldn't matter if Banjo was irrelevant or if the majority of fans didn't want him. The fact that he isn't owned by a company with close ties to Nintendo isn't a huge problem either. If Sakurai wants to include Banjo, he'll find a way to include Banjo.

*rant over im sorryyyyy*

On topic, ACE and Kirkhope himself are my first thoughts for proper BK remixes. The two K. Rool remixes were too good, I need more ACE + Rare combos.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, as others have said K. Rool didn't just weaken the relevancy argument, he killed it entirely.

Honestly a lot of these "arguments" and "rules" the community have built up over the years are really bogus and limiting to what Smash can be. If you look at the characters Smash Bros has added as of late you can easily see the rules they might've set for themselves, if there ever were any, have definitely been laxed to whatever Sakurai and the Smash Team want to do in that moment.

-Joker hasn't appeared on a Nintendo console iirc correctly and Cloud Strife has appeared maybe twice as cameo roles. Neither have very strong connections with Nintendo.
-King K. Rool is as irrelevant as a character can get, yet still made it in over more current mainstream possibilities.
-Pac-Man, Villager, Mii's and Ridley have all been deconfirmed by the team, and then subsequently added as newcomers despite this. This is even considering the many other problems Ridley had in front of him being included at all. Animal Crossing now has two original representatives after the team decided they weren't fit for combat.
-Snake and Bayonetta, while definitely toned down in Smash, do push the boundaries of including M-Rated characters in Smash.
-A Piranha Plant is the 70th fighter added to Super Smash Bros.

As much as some people in the speculation community might not want to accept it, rules are pretty flexible and slim when it comes to the Smash Team's decisions. If they want to add Master Chief, Waluigi, or Mickey Mouse they are going to try to add them. If they don't see the need to, they probably won't bother.

And yeah, I definitely do see how replying to a speculation thread with "rules in speculation are pointless" is definitely going against the whole point. There are some basics that people can agree on when it comes to who can/will be added to Smash, of course. Stanley the Bugman probably isn't going to be the next DLC fighter yknow. All I'm saying is that the team have shown that they're willing to trump the rules in order to make the characters they want to make.

Hypothetically, it wouldn't matter if Banjo was irrelevant or if the majority of fans didn't want him. The fact that he isn't owned by a company with close ties to Nintendo isn't a huge problem either. If Sakurai wants to include Banjo, he'll find a way to include Banjo.

*rant over im sorryyyyy*

On topic, ACE and Kirkhope himself are my first thoughts for proper BK remixes. The two K. Rool remixes were too good, I need more ACE + Rare combos.
Well, for Joker, he did appear in PQ2, which was on a Nintendo console.

That's my only qualm here though. I agree with everything you said.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
The great thing about banjo music is that even if the team doesn't do any remixes, just porting over the original music would be enough.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
-Pac-Man, Villager, Mii's and Ridley have all been deconfirmed by the team, and then subsequently added as newcomers despite this.
That's more of a reason why I think Geno is likely because when Sakurai acknowledges a character and goes into detail why they couldn't get in, he adds them later on in the series. So if Sakurai ever mentions a character's existence, they are more likely.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's more of a reason why I think Geno is likely because when Sakurai acknowledges a character and goes into detail why they couldn't get in, he adds them later on in the series. So if Sakurai's ever mentions a character's existence, they are more likely.
The one hold-up I have with that is Decidueye, mainly because TPCi seems to only want content from the newest generation, despite Sakurai talking about how he was under heavy consideration and could have been very unique.

That being said, I hope that's a good sign though. If Decidueye were still added down the line I'd be very happy. :p

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The one hold-up I have with that is Decidueye, mainly because TPCi seems to only want content from the newest generation, despite Sakurai talking about how he was under heavy consideration and could have been very unique.

That being said, I hope that's a good sign though. If Decidueye were still added down the line I'd be very happy. :p
I personally wouldn't mind if Decidueye was DLC in a Season Pass 2 if it happens.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I guess with all of the recent data mines pointing towards Banjo, I’m surprised there is so much doubt. But then again, it is Banjo we are dealing with. It’s all too good to be true until and if he gets revealed

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I guess with all of the recent data mines pointing towards Banjo, I’m surprised there is so much doubt. But then again, it is Banjo we are dealing with. It’s all too good to be true until and if he gets revealed
Well because its the possibility of Steve. Even I can understand why it would seem odd to pick Banjo over Steve to most people. We can scream how he was a Nintendo icon all we want. But Banjo didn't sell a bazillion copies and make trillions in merchandising.

Well because its the possibility of Steve. Even I can understand why it would seem odd to pick Banjo over Steve to most people. We can scream how he was a Nintendo icon all we want. But Banjo didn't sell a bazillion copies and make trillions in merchandising.
That argument bothers me though. Grand Theft Auto and Tetris and Call of Duty also sell a bazillion copies and are mega successful financially, but they aren’t in Smash. Sales numbers doesn’t need to equal Smash inclusion. And that’s literally the only argument Steve has going against Banjo

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
That argument bothers me though. Grand Theft Auto and Tetris and Call of Duty also sell a bazillion copies and are mega successful financially, but they aren’t in Smash. Sales numbers doesn’t need to equal Smash inclusion. And that’s literally the only argument Steve has going against Banjo
I'm just saying the dollar signs are there for Minecraft content.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
To add to that, Tetris is the best selling game of all time. It beats Minecraft in sales and it only has 2 music tracks. No stage or anything.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
To add to that, Tetris is the best selling game of all time. It beats Minecraft in sales and it only has 2 music tracks. No stage or anything.
It might be on the Tetris company more then anything. I'm sure Nintendo wants Tetris in smash in some form. But if the Tetris company doesn't want to play ball they don't want to play ball.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Sure but if we’re dealing with Smash and the Smash community, the dollar signs are also there for including one of the longest requested characters in Smash history
Yeah sure there is no denying that. But it still works in their favor if we like it or not. I was just speaking in a sense on why people might see Steve as more likely thats all.

Yeah sure there is no denying that. But it still works in their favor if we like it or not. I was just speaking in a sense on why people might see Steve as more likely thats all.
One thing I know is that Minecraft is undeniably aimed at a much younger audience. Go into any store, all the Minecraft merch will be in the kids section. With that said, that’s pretty much the opposite of the audience DLC is aimed at. It’s usually pandered toward an older demographic. People who have the money to buy the DLC. Look at the DLC we got in Smash 4. Returning vets. Characters like Cloud, Ryu, Bayonetta. They were characters who pandered more to that older audience. You can’t tell me the same young demographic who plays Minecraft cares about those characters. With all this said, despite how financially successful Minecraft may be, I don’t know that it would necessarily be very successful as Smash DLC. Including Minecraft would’ve made more sense in the base game. Whereas a character like Banjo definitely panders more to that older audience who has the money for the DLC and would be hyped to see them again after all these years

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
One thing I know is that Minecraft is undeniably aimed at a much younger audience. Go into any store, all the Minecraft merch will be in the kids section. With that said, that’s pretty much the opposite of the audience DLC is aimed at. It’s usually pandered toward an older demographic. People who have the money to buy the DLC. Look at the DLC we got in Smash 4. Returning vets. Characters like Cloud, Ryu, Bayonetta. They were characters who pandered more to that older audience. You can’t tell me the same young demographic who plays Minecraft cares about those characters. With all this said, despite how financially successful Minecraft may be, I don’t know that it would necessarily be very successful as Smash DLC. Including Minecraft would’ve made more sense in the base game. Whereas a character like Banjo definitely panders more to that older audience who has the money for the DLC and would be hyped to see them again after all these years
Fair enough.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
If you think about it banjo vs Steve is kinda like k rool vs dixie kong.

A fan favorite that suffers from relevancy problem vs a character who is more prevalent and iconic that ultimately seemed like a more profitable choice. And yet the fan favorite won.

Of course this is different due the choices coming from another company, but still.

If you think about it banjo vs Steve is kinda like k rool vs dixie kong.

A fan favorite that suffers from relevancy problem vs a character who is more prevalent and iconic that ultimately seemed like a more profitable choice. And yet the fan favorite won.

Of course this is different due the choices coming from another company, but still.
Sakurai literally said he went with Simon & Richter over Alucard because they were what the fans wanted even though Alucard would’ve been the more recognizable choice

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's kinda weird that Minecraft went full-kids marketing instead of marketing it for everyone once Microsoft bought it.

Mojang still treats it as an all-age game, and there's probably some figurines here and there, but eh even Minecon is pushed for small children even when there's teens and older kids at the convention. This was different pre-Microsoft buy out.

Anyway what are the datamines for B-K? I thought all we had was the data for Rare games that could be questionable because of NoJ. Other than that, I just recall IndieGamerChick's info and PapaGenos whom are making B-K seem very likely when combined with Microsoft and Nintendo's relations seeming to get stronger.

edit: oh I forgot about the DLC stuff, hopefully the next DLC character has stuff in their files that proves the theory.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Even better
That pretty much buries the dolla signs arguement. So far the "relevancy" arguement is crushed under K. Rools Golden Stomach and this debunks the "Sales numbers" arguement. What other strawmen-I mean arguements are used to deny Banjo and kazooie a spot as DLC?

D

Deleted member

About that duck hunt and mii sf glitch what if the swordfighter is actually a base for Steve while the dog is for banjo?

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
That pretty much buries the dolla signs arguement. So far the "relevancy" arguement is crushed under K. Rools Golden Stomach and this debunks the "Sales numbers" arguement. What other strawmen-I mean arguements are used to deny Banjo and kazooie a spot as DLC?
Meh he'll probably just be a duck hunt clone or something...

:troll::troll::troll:

Top Bottom