• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banjo-Kazooie: Dynamic Jiggy Duo - Project Dream

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I always loved Diddy Kong Racing becauce it was different from Mario Kart in so many ways, and I preferred DKR to MK64. It's so nostalgic for me, and if we can get DKR2, surely we can get DKR for the Wii U VC?
We will never get Diddy Kong Racing for VC. Banjo and Tiptup didn't play nearly a major enough part in it to warrant Nintendo going through negotiations with Microsoft for them and they want nothing to do with Conker ever again.
At most we'll see a VC adaptation of Diddy Kong Racing DS, the remake with balance wrecking customization options, terrible control gimmicks, atrocious new music (and some of the old lacking), Mario Kart physics, the innability to throw away items and Diddy's face plastered on every wall ever. But hey, it has the first 4 levels of Donkey Kong Racing I guess...

I could go off on a major analysis of what Mario Kart does wrong and how the original Diddy Kong Racing avoids all of those flaws (and even Snowboard Kids does a better job than MK) but I feel like that'd be majorly off topic so I'll just say this instead: I really miss having drive by "nhuut"s in my racing games.

. I can't check that, but if you could give me an example of it happening in the first game, I have it in my N64 right now.
Interesting. Sadly I have no examples of the first game because I too own the actual cartridge. I only own Banjo Tooie on XBLA because I sold my original N64 collection about a decade ago and it turns out there were something like 50 copies in the UK. PAL Tooie is crazy rare, which is kinda funny given the developer.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Dang sorry guys.. my thing bugged out -_- I couldn't get my page to load, so I didn't think the reply went through... sorry for the spam.. XD

Last edited:

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Not sure if it was already mentioned but Playtonic supports their inclusion for one.

I haven't got passed Treasure Trove Cove or whatever in the game but I respect BK as an N64 icon and franchise (except Nuts and Bolts); the duo deserve that spot more than Shovel Knight or any other third part imo.

It's so obvious that Spiral Mountain would be their home stage lol

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726

"Now don't be like that braindead bird. Try blowing on the cartridge and putting it back in." - bottles the tutorial guy.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I mean, even RARE knew that Microsoft was ruining Banjo Kazooie when Nuts and Bolts was being developed, since they had a character called Lord of Games randomly come in and completely change the focus, which is likely a reflection of what happened with Microsoft's executives behind the scenes.
I have a theory on Nuts & Bolts: There's evidence that Banjo wanted to/was working on a Banjo Kart racing game at one time (which obviously didn't happen) my theory is that MS wanted a platformer to pander to fans/compete with Mario & Nuts and Bolts was the outcome of the two visions.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I have a theory on Nuts & Bolts: There's evidence that Banjo wanted to/was working on a Banjo Kart racing game at one time (which obviously didn't happen) my theory is that MS wanted a platformer to pander to fans/compete with Mario & Nuts and Bolts was the outcome of the two visions.
There is evidence to that actually. I think in that factory Grunty was sent to, there were textures for a game title called "Banjo Kazooie Dash buddies" or something like that.. perhaps a hint?

Last edited:

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
We will never get Diddy Kong Racing for VC. Banjo and Tiptup didn't play nearly a major enough part in it to warrant Nintendo going through negotiations with Microsoft for them and they want nothing to do with Conker ever again.
At most we'll see a VC adaptation of Diddy Kong Racing DS, the remake with balance wrecking customization options, terrible control gimmicks, atrocious new music (and some of the old lacking), Mario Kart physics, the innability to throw away items and Diddy's face plastered on every wall ever. But hey, it has the first 4 levels of Donkey Kong Racing I guess...

I could go off on a major analysis of what Mario Kart does wrong and how the original Diddy Kong Racing avoids all of those flaws (and even Snowboard Kids does a better job than MK) but I feel like that'd be majorly off topic so I'll just say this instead: I really miss having drive by "nhuut"s in my racing games.

Interesting. Sadly I have no examples of the first game because I too own the actual cartridge. I only own Banjo Tooie on XBLA because I sold my original N64 collection about a decade ago and it turns out there were something like 50 copies in the UK. PAL Tooie is crazy rare, which is kinda funny given the developer.
Only 50 copies?! I had a copy! I bought it 2 years ago for £40 and sold it for like £30 when I got it on XBLA...

SilverWolf7

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I make a post in the Smash Ladder chat suggesting people vote for Banjo-Kazooie, the same person, says the same thing...I took a screen shot but I'm not going to post it here because I do feel rather rude just taking that and posing it on this thread. But I will say basically he consistently says that Banjo has absolutely NO chance of coming whatsoever for the same reason that Master Chief won't. Somehow, he believes that "Banjo is Microsoft's mascot."

I think I'm going to make a relatively long winded post about why Banjo SHOULD and CAN be added to Smash Bros so you can show any doubters to it. I won't make it long winded to be long winded, rather it will probably just turn out that way.

What do you all think?

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Whenever I make a post in the Smash Ladder chat suggesting people vote for Banjo-Kazooie, the same person, says the same thing...I took a screen shot but I'm not going to post it here because I do feel rather rude just taking that and posing it on this thread. But I will say basically he consistently says that Banjo has absolutely NO chance of coming whatsoever for the same reason that Master Chief won't. Somehow, he believes that "Banjo is Microsoft's mascot."

I think I'm going to make a relatively long winded post about why Banjo SHOULD and CAN be added to Smash Bros so you can show any doubters to it. I won't make it long winded to be long winded, rather it will probably just turn out that way.

What do you all think?
This sorta thing is exactly why anti argument defenses should be set up. The same thing could be said for the other 3rd Parties.. (Which are actual mascots of their companies ironically XD) These errors should be corrected

Edit: You don't even need to convince the guy himself. Just make sure you have arguments present. Even if he doesn't agree, others can still see what you wrote, and make their own decisions

Last edited:

SilverWolf7

Smash Apprentice
This sorta thing is exactly why anti argument defenses should be set up. The same thing could be said for the other 3rd Parties.. (Which are actual mascots of their companies ironically XD) These errors should be corrected

Edit: You don't even need to convince the guy himself. Just make sure you have arguments present. Even if he doesn't agree, others can still see what you wrote, and make their own decisions
I'll write something out and post it here so you can show it to others then.

Or just talk about how bad my writing is...

D

Deleted member

You know, with the inclusion of some of the Smash newcomers like Duck Hunt and Little Mac, Nintendo has taken the opportunity to also release former/VC games of those franchises, as a sort of cross-promotion. It makes sense, I think.

You know what else makes sense? Now that N64 VC is on the Wii U, it would be great business sense to release the Banjo-Kazooie games on the VC, probably later in the fall. And around the same time, a cross promotion for Banjo & Kazooie in Smash as DLC would be fantastic. I mean, I hate how because of company stupidness Nintendo has to ignore some of the greatest games that ever graced their systems. But it doesn't have to be that way! Banjo in Smash would represent that golden N64 era so well. Hnnh, those games are so GOOD. If any of you have not played them, stop what you're doing and play them NOW. But probably most of you have because you're on this thread. ;)

CitrusRain

Smash Apprentice
That bit of Kentucky that has fried chicken.
NNID
CitrusRain
3DS FC
2079-7126-2128
I'll write something out and post it here so you can show it to others then.

Or just talk about how bad my writing is...
Please do.
I've seen so many counter argument sections on the first posts... okay well... Rayman's, Daisy's, and I think Shantae's.
This thread is just lacking in what others have on the opening posts!

CitrusRain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CitrusRain
3DS FC
2079-7126-2128
So they're talking about possible stages on the Gruntilda Winkybunion support thread. (lol)
I posted this there, and will do so here - since it's more about Banjo than Grunty.

I know Spiral Mountain is the obvious choice, and I would support it... But spiral mountain is never even a hub world, it's a map that you have to exit in order to get to the map that links all the levels together. It's simply Banjo's home. Nothing more.

You're probably going to shoot me for this, but I would like to see Banjoland as a stage.
Think about it, that is a level that does nothing but to pay homage to the N64. And it has massive areas and objects representing Mumbo's Mountain, Gobi's Desert, Freezeezy Peak, Click Clock Wood, Witchyworld, Clanker's Cavern, Cloud Cuckooland, and even the Jinjo statues from the end of the first game!

Freezeezy Peak snowman/scarf/hat, Witchyworld test of strength cacti, Castle Trove Cove palm trees, Cheato replica, picture of Lord Woo Fak Fak, Murals for Cloud Cuckooland, Click Clock Wood, and Monster Manor

Rusty Bucket Bay's S.S. Rustbucket & parts of the crane

Gobi Desert sand, several parts of Clanker from Clanker's cavern (tail, body, head, teeth), Hailfire Peaks Mildred the Ice Cube

Quillion

Smash Hero
So they're talking about possible stages on the Gruntilda Winkybunion support thread. (lol)
I posted this there, and will do so here - since it's more about Banjo than Grunty.

I know Spiral Mountain is the obvious choice, and I would support it... But spiral mountain is never even a hub world, it's a map that you have to exit in order to get to the map that links all the levels together. It's simply Banjo's home. Nothing more.

You're probably going to shoot me for this, but I would like to see Banjoland as a stage.
Think about it, that is a level that does nothing but to pay homage to the N64. And it has massive areas and objects representing Mumbo's Mountain, Gobi's Desert, Freezeezy Peak, Click Clock Wood, Witchyworld, Clanker's Cavern, Cloud Cuckooland, and even the Jinjo statues from the end of the first game!

Freezeezy Peak snowman/scarf/hat, Witchyworld test of strength cacti, Castle Trove Cove palm trees, Cheato replica, picture of Lord Woo Fak Fak, Murals for Cloud Cuckooland, Click Clock Wood, and Monster Manor

Gobi Desert sand, several parts of Clanker from Clanker's cavern (tail, body, head, teeth), Hailfire Peaks Mildred the Ice Cube
Is it weird that I don't want to see any even remote reference to Nuts & Bolts if Banjo gets in?

Banjo should be reunited with Nintendo with no hint of Microsoft's BS at all.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Kinda...

SilverWolf7

Smash Apprentice
Why We Believe That Banjo-Kazooie Should Be In Smash

Occasionally I will come across people who refuse to acknowledge the possibility of Banjo-Kazooie entering Super Smash Brothers. Whenever I mention that I would like Banjo-Kazooie to be added as a downloadable character for Smash, people tend to either acknowledge that he'd be a pleasant addition, or don't believe that he will be in due to the IP (intellectual property) being owned by Microsoft. Since many fans of Banjo-Kazooie who want the character(s) in Super Smash Brothers as DLC (downloadable content) aren't voting for him simply because they doubt it is plausible, I want to write something that will convince them otherwise. My goal is to demonstrate through this, that Banjo-Kazooie is entirely plausible, and perhaps even likely to be added as DLC. I will mostly be addressing reasons that they can or should be added, but I will also occasionally mention counter arguments so as not to seem totally biased. But I will definitely say, that I do want Banjo-Kazooie in Smash. I just don't want to come across as a desperate, illogical, overly optimistic Banjo-Kazooie fan. lolz

The Ballot is Open to Third Party Characters

Most people seem to know this by now, but for those who do not, the ballot is indeed open to third party characters. Just in case you do not believe me, look at this link: http://mynintendonews.com/2015/04/0...e-character-is-eligible-for-super-smash-bros/
Now obviously, this does not mean that characters like, Shrek or Goku will ever be added. This is referring to video game characters only. While I do not have a source for the following, the general rules for a third party character being added are:

1) They must be a video game character
2) They must have appeared on a Nintendo console at least once
3) They must fit within the atmosphere of the game
4) Sakurai must consider them worthy and approve

Now if you were to look at any of the third party characters in Super Smash Brothers Brawl or Super Smash Brothers for Wii U and 3DS, you would find that they all follow these rules. Sonic, Mega Man and even Snake have all appeared on Nintendo consoles before, fit within the atmosphere of the game, and has Sakurai's approval. We will address these four rules later.

Phil Spencer Would Like Banjo to be the next Smash DLC

Many of you may know this by now, but in the event that you do not, please look at this: https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/584023190692737024

Why is this significant? Phil Spencer is the head of Microsoft's Xbox division and Microsoft studios. This is a very big deal. The head of the Xbox division said that he thinks it would be cool if Banjo was the next DLC for Smash. All that's left now is the fans to let Nintendo know that they want Banjo in, and for Nintendo to approve. Ultimately, it is Sakurai's decision, but one of the biggest hurdles is out of the way; that obstacle being Microsoft allowing Banjo-Kazooie to be in Nintendo's fighting game.

Banjo-Kazooie is not a Microsoft Mascot

One argument that someone has mentioned to me is that Banjo will never be added to Smash because he is now a mascot for Microsoft. This is just not true. The Banjo-Kazooie intellectual property has been with Microsoft for many years now. When Rare left Nintendo, so did Banjo. If you search online "Nintendo mascot" you will see Mario. If you search for "Sega mascot" you will probably mostly see Sonic. If you look up "Namco Bandai mascot," you will most likely find Pacman. However, searching for "Microsoft mascot" will not show Banjo-Kazooie, other than perhaps an article from 2008 talking about how Banjo should be a mascot. The same year that Nuts & Bolts was released, mind you.
The fact of the matter is, Banjo-Kazooie is far from Microsoft's mascot. They've had so many years to do what they wanted to with Banjo, and all that was done was re-releasing the Nintendo 64 games on the Xbox Live Arcade, and creating Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts which most people did not enjoy, especially fans of the older games. Although the game did not sell well, most of the resentment from Banjo fans was simply due to the game being so different than what they wanted (personally, I truly enjoy Nuts & Bolts). You can ask most people who Nintendo's mascot is, and answer with "Mario." And most other people mgiht say that Sonic is Sega's mascot and that Pacman is Namco Bandai's. But highly doubt that most people you ask about Microsoft's mascot, will answer "Banjo-Kazooie." I don't even understand how anyone thinks that they can be a mascot with only one exclusive game on the Xbox 360 that did not even sell well. What other Banjo game was made exclusively for a Microsoft system? Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie were just re-releases that were made on the Nintendo 64.
Nintendo Has Used Rare IP Before
Phil Spencer said "We've worked with Nintendo on Rare IP before, no issues." This is entirely true. Banjo actually first appeared in "Diddy Kong Racing," and although he did not return for the re-release on the Nintendo DS, he has been on Nintendo consoles even after Rare and the Banjo-Kazooie IP belonged to Microsoft. This is exemplified by the release of "Banjo Pilot" for the Gameboy Advanced. This was initially planned to be a sequel to "Diddy Kong Racing" but was changed to Banjo characters because at this time Rare no longer had the rights to Donkey Kong characters. To compensate, Rare used what they still had the rights to: Banjo-Kazooie. Keep in mind, at this time, Rare was owned by Microsoft and the intellectual property had been settled between the companies; Donkey Kong characters created by Rare were now owned by Nintendo while characters like Conker and Banjo stayed with Rare, and consequently Microsoft.
The reason this is important, is that if Microsoft really had an issue with Banjo being on a Nintendo system, or if Nintendo had a problem using what would now be a Microsoft character on a Nintendo console, the game would not switch from a "Diddy Kong Racing" game, to a Banjo racing game. It would simply be cancelled. But it wasn't cancelled, because Microsoft nor Nintendo had an issue with Banjo being on a Nintendo console even though he was Microsoft owned.

Banjo-Kazooie as Smash DLC Would Benefit Nintendo as Well

To illustrate my point, we shall discuss a hypothetical scenario. Let us suppose for a moment, that the rumours of a Banjo-Kazooie sequel coming to the Xbox One is true. It's also important to note in this hypothetical scenario that the game does not fail, and does significantly better than Nuts & Bolts did. If this happens, Microsoft would have successfully used one of the greatest intellectual properties that they have in their property, many people would know of it, and enjoy it. If Banjo-Kazooie came to Super Smash Brothers, fans of this new Banjo game that they really enjoy would very possibly get excited knowing that this amazing character is in one of the greatest fighting games of all time. That may very well be all the incentive they need to get a 3DS or a Wii U, just to play a very popular game by Nintendo, and use one of their favourite characters from one of their favourite Xbox games. I personally know people that want a Wii U (or 3DS) just for Super Smash Brothers. Just because Super Smash Brothers is an initial incentive to purchase a Nintendo console, that does not mean people will start noticing other characters of the Smash game and consider trying out some of their games. I didn't know about Fire Emblem until I played Super Smash Brothers.

Of course Microsoft would benefit from Banjo-Kazooie being in Super Smash Brothers. But Nintendo would too! Anyone who enjoyed the Banjo-Kazooie games on the Nintendo 64 as children, who are older now may be excited hearing that one of their favourite characters is in one of the greatest fighting games of all time. That may be all the incentive they need to get a Nintendo console and play Smash. Perhaps there may even be some new fans of Banjo, from the Xbox Live Arcade who didn't have a Nintendo 64, but would be excited to know that Banjo is coming to a game of which is difficult to find anyone that truly dislikes (Super Smash Brothers).

The Fans want it

This will be a very brief point, but it's important. Fans want it. Well known people on YouTube have uploaded videos about the topic, such as Etika, in addition to the winner of Apex 2015, ZeRo (who wants Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros. more than any other character). More and more people are voting for him everyday. So far, Phil Spencer's tweet has been getting new favourites/retweets every day. People are becoming increasingly aware of Banjo's increasing probability of joining Smash.

Banjo Follows The Rules

Banjo fits all of the rules. As shown earlier, the rules for third party characters being in Smash seem to be:

1) They must be a video game character
2) They must have appeared on a Nintendo console at least once
3) They must fit within the atmosphere of the game
4) Sakurai must consider them worthy and approve

And we can obviously put Banjo in all of those:

1) Banjo is a video game character.
2) Banjo first appeared on the Nintendo 64 in two games, and later on the Gameboy Advanced in two games.
3) They are colourful, silly and unique, just as many of the other characters are in Super Smash Bros.
4) Sakurai agrees that they fit within the atmosphere, and planned for them to be in previous Smash games.

Sakurai Agrees With Us That Banjo Fits

Probably my favourite point of all, Masahiro Sakurai, the creator and director of all Super Smash Brothers games, believes that Banjo-Kazooie fits well in the game. For those who do not know, Banjo-Kazooie were planned for Super Smash Brothers on the Nintendo 64. The reason they weren't was due to time restraints. Other characters such as MewTwo and King Dedede were also planned to be playable, in addition to some others. What this means is, that Sakurai believes they fit in the game, which is important. Sakurai ultimately makes the executive decision (for the most part) when it comes to who is added in the game and who is not. For all we know, Sakurai had already thought up a rather clever moveset for Banjo-Kazooie. The fact that they were planned to be playable characters says that Sakurai agrees with us, in that Banjo-Kazooie fits within the atmosphere of Super Smash Brothers quite well. He would be far from a Duck Hunt Duo clone, for anyone who might suspect Banjo of being a clone.

Just in case anyone disagrees that they fit within the atmosphere, I think we can all agree that he fits more than Snake did. Sakurai made him work well, and even though that was because Snake was requested to be in by Hideo Kojima since Melee, I see no reason why Sakurai wouldn't put in an already well fitting character into a game that his fans request and Phil Spencer is fine with, who wasn't in previous Smash games simply due to lack of time.

Last edited:

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Why We Believe That Banjo-Kazooie Should Be In Smash
This needs to be on the front page! Above or beyond the movesets, but NOT hidden in a spoiler tab!

If you search for "Sega mascot" you will probably mostly see Sonic. If you look up "Namco Bandai mascot," you will most likely find Pacman. However, searching for "Microsoft mascot" will not show Banjo-Kazooie, other than perhaps an article from 2008 talking about how Banjo should be a mascot.
Well, what I got was this (searched for "XBOX mascot"):

Last edited:

SilverWolf7

Smash Apprentice
This needs to be on the front page! Above or beyond the movesets, but NOT hidden in a spoiler tab!
I don't know how to do that. I just wrote it so anybody can show it to anybody, if they need help convincing someone that Banjo is plausible for Smash DLC.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how to do that. I just wrote it so anybody can show it to anybody, if they need help convincing someone that Banjo is plausible for Smash DLC.
Of course! That was more a general shoutout. SalsaSavant has to do this.

edit: Found a mistake (many people seemed to misunderstand it, even me). B-K weren't really considered, but they held a poll in Japan and asked the fans about their most wanted characters to star in the second Smash Bros. game.

This is the list:

1. Bowser (Super Mario)
2. Princess Peach (Super Mario)
3. Wario (Super Mario)
4. King Dedede (Kirby)
5. Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda)
6. James Bond (GoldenEye 007)
7. Mewtwo (Pokemon)
8. Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie)
9. Toad (Super Mario)
10. Mew (Pokemon)
11. Marth (Fire Emblem)
12. Mr. Saturn (Mother 2)
13. Ash Ketchum (Pokemon)
14. ??? (Fire Emblem)
15. Gooey (Kirby)
16. Diddy Kong (Donkey Kong)
17. Sukapon (Joy Mecha Fight)
18. ??? (Pokemon)
19. Meta-Knight (Kirby)
20. Lugia (Pokemon)

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostResult2.html

I would change the text up a bit & remove this misconception. Good thing is: Except of James Bond, B-K were the most anticipated fighters in this poll that didn't make it! (And some are really weird, but that's what it says. Mr. Saturn? Gooey? Oh my god :grin:)

Sorry I haven't added much to the OP.

Been real busy IRL. I'll get to it soon though.
Just quoting you here. Can you make sure that you put SilverWolf's post in your OP?

Last edited:

SilverWolf7

Smash Apprentice
Of course! That was more a general shoutout. SalsaSavant has to do this.

edit: Found a mistake (many people seemed to misunderstand it, even me). B-K weren't really considered, but they held a poll in Japan and asked the fans about their most wanted characters to star in the second Smash Bros. game.

This is the list:

1. Bowser (Super Mario)
2. Princess Peach (Super Mario)
3. Wario (Super Mario)
4. King Dedede (Kirby)
5. Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda)
6. James Bond (GoldenEye 007)
7. Mewtwo (Pokemon)
8. Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie)
9. Toad (Super Mario)
10. Mew (Pokemon)
11. Marth (Fire Emblem)
12. Mr. Saturn (Mother 2)
13. Ash Ketchum (Pokemon)
14. ??? (Fire Emblem)
15. Gooey (Kirby)
16. Diddy Kong (Donkey Kong)
17. Sukapon (Joy Mecha Fight)
18. ??? (Pokemon)
19. Meta-Knight (Kirby)
20. Lugia (Pokemon)

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostResult2.html

I would change the text up a bit & remove this misconception. Good thing is: Except of James Bond, B-K were the most anticipated fighters in this poll that didn't make it! (And some are really weird, but that's what it says. Mr. Saturn? Gooey? Oh my god :grin:)

Just quoting you here. Can you make sure that you put SilverWolf's post in your OP?

Well this is something that Sakurai posted, nonetheless, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ciImvi3KCk

"List of character the development team wanted to see wanted to see enter the Smash Bros. series." You sure that's a poll, and what I heard in this video is not a list of playable characters that were considered to be added?

Last edited:

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Well this is something that Sakurai posted, nonetheless, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ciImvi3KCk

"List of character the development team wanted to see wanted to see enter the Smash Bros. series." You sure that's a poll, and what I heard in this video is not a list of players that were considered to be added?
I was right about to post this video with the exact time frame to provide a source for your text, when I read a comment below about this poll. In this comment, there was the link I posted. Go & put it into google translate. From what I understand is that they were asking somebody outside of the development team (fans) about their favorite characters. Seems like a "Melee-ballot" to me. They did say that they had these character polls before the Smash ballot, but limited them to Japanese players.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So Playtonic wants BOTH Banjo Kazooie and King K. Rool in Smash? As if I couldn't respect these guys anymore and I like the way they think.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
So Playtonic wants BOTH Banjo Kazooie and King K. Rool in Smash? As if I couldn't respect these guys anymore and I like the way they think.
Did you watch their presentation at EGX? You just HAVE to like these guys!

Last edited:

SilverWolf7

Smash Apprentice
I was right about to post this video with the exact time frame to provide a source for your text, when I read a comment below about this poll. In this comment, there was the link I posted. Go & put it into google translate. From what I understand is that they were asking somebody outside of the development team (fans) about their favorite characters. Seems like a "Melee-ballot" to me. They did say that they had these character polls before the Smash ballot, but limited them to Japanese players.
When we find someone that can actually read Japanese and clear this up for us, I will be sure to change it. As of now, Google Translate makes it seem like the video was true, and that it was Sakurai stating that he was allowed to recruit characters that he wanted most.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
When we find someone that can actually read Japanese and clear this up for us, I will be sure to change it. As of now, Google Translate makes it seem like the video was true, and that it was Sakurai stating that he was allowed to recruit characters that he wanted most.
Alright then, fair enough. I'm just being honest that I think that fans voted for this poll & the team picked some of the results. I mean, Mr. Saturn? Anyways, do what you believe.

But as a further improvement, I suggest to put some sources in your text, that makes it even more convincing! Nonetheless great work!

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master

Thanks for summing up why I wasn't keen on Spiral Mountain. I didn't even realize it myself.
I think Banjoland would be perfect in many ways but would also alienate the anti-Microsoft crowd, as you have seen. For something like this that has amazing potential to bring together two sides, it's best to stay as neutral as possible.
To that end, maybe a similar stage could be worked out using Tooie's train.

2) Banjo first appeared on the Nintendo 64 in two games, and later on the Gameboy Advanced in two games.
While Kazooie only appeared in 2 N64 games, Banjo also featured in Diddy Kong Racing, making the count 3 on technicality.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I want to be added to the imaginary supporter list in the OP, if possible.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Everything is alright with the top line, though I would rather the dash were chicken legs as explained previously.
The triple A combo is exactly what it should be and the down smash seems fine to me but the up smash flip is a little weird and the pack whack seems far more like smash attack material than the rat-a-tat-tap, which I would have used as a multi-hit F-air mechanically similar to Kirby's.
The tilts and aerials all seem very uninspired and having the crouching egg fire pose for a neutral just seems silly. Plus, if there's any move that should have a tap/hold variable it's the beak buster/bill drill they've used as down special, which is also weird as it's functionally identical to their D-air.
Up B seems right though and I do like suicidal dash side specials (the dive bomb aerial version especially).
Likewise, the shield pose is perfect but what the hell is Kazooie doing in that grab?
I know I said pack whack seemed like a smash but how about ignoring continuity and having the backpack be empty whenever he needs it for a grab, allowing him to have its hitbox away from his body a bit (faster than a tether but doesn't hit right next to him)? It's already been proven to have unrealistic storage capabilities so why can't it hold both Kazooie and Bowser anyway? I will admit that losing their pummel would be a big downside to that though.
As for their throws, they're all generic aside the last, which has better use elsewhere as I previously touched upon.

Were my grab implemented, I would want to see the down throw consist of Banjo donning the backpack and pulling out its occupant to use them for the breegull bash. Up throw would probably involve Banjo going into breegull blaster stance, tossing the backpack upwards and grenade egging it before it magically reappears on his back. Forward throw could be him putting it on and crouching while Kazooie talon torpedoes the enemy out of her home. Back throw might just be a turn around version of Grunty's Revenge's pack whack.

Also, do we have to link to social media for these things? As a self professed mad scientist, I don't want the kind of people who run those sites spying on me. I could end up on no end of government watch lists if they decide to take my evil plans seriously.

Last edited:

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Also, do we have to link to social media for these things? As a self professed mad scientist, I don't want the kind of people who run those sites spying on me. I could end up on no end of government watch lists if they decide to take my evil plans seriously.
Do you mean Facebook-pages? What exactly bothers you?

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Same, they should have used something better for the Final Smash and other attacks. But at least this will convince more people to support these guys for Smash.
Yep, #BanjoForSmash seems to work: https://twitter.com/search?q=#banjoforsmash&src=typd&vertical=default&f=tweets

Look at these alternative colors (and don't mind the text)! We should do something like this with a render picture for the OP:

PokéMurio

Smash Apprentice
Banjo & Kazooie are heroes of my childhood, since Banjo-Tooie was one of my first games. When playing Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie, Banjo & Kazooie feel like they're MADE to be in Smash. For those reasons, I support them 100%.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Look at these alternative colors (and don't mind the text)! We should do something like this with a render picture for the OP
Long time ago mate.

I almost wish I could get my hands on the OP, I'd go all out on it like I did for Rayman. So many ideas...

CitrusRain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CitrusRain
3DS FC
2079-7126-2128
It's according to some artist. Read post comment.

Thanks for summing up why I wasn't keen on Spiral Mountain. I didn't even realize it myself.
I think Banjoland would be perfect in many ways but would also alienate the anti-Microsoft crowd, as you have seen. For something like this that has amazing potential to bring together two sides, it's best to stay as neutral as possible.
To that end, maybe a similar stage could be worked out using Tooie's train.
>Train
Oh no not another spirit tracks level!
We shouldn't just assume based on 2 people that it would completely alienate the anti-Microsoft crowd. Considering I am anti-Microsoft. I just love Banjoland because it's a huge tribute to the past, combines many good things and it's just a nice thought that the developers wanted to make it. If the bear and bird duo have any sort of "tour" style level, Banjoland is still a no-brainer, and covers more games and levels than Ol' King Coal's train can even access.

Top Bottom