• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
There is no debate, unless you take Sakurai saying that he won't make another Smash game as him saying that he'll make another Smash game, in which case I have to question your mental stability.

D

Deleted member

And they said the same pathetic arguments, like "just a generic enemy" and even a new one! "Not hype enough".
Inside they just think: "I don't like him, gotta think of some dumb excuse to sound intelligent!"

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
I don't understand why Bandana Dee is the only character people decide to go for with that generic "argument".
You don't see people going "B-but Inklings are a generic species!" or "K.Rool is a glorified mook!" (Not that I have anything against them)
It's just irritating when Bandana Dee seems to be the only one targeted.

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why Bandana Dee is the only character people decide to go for with that generic "argument".
You don't see people going "B-but Inklings are a generic species!" or "K.Rool is a glorified mook!" (Not that I have anything against them)
It's probably because before RtDL Waddle Dees were more or less the Goomba of the Kirby series. So when anyone who hasn't played it look at BDee, they slap the generic enemy mantle onto him.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
It's probably because before RtDL Waddle Dees were more or less the Goomba of the Kirby series. So when anyone who hasn't played it look at BDee, they slap the generic enemy mantle onto him.
And it's also compounded by the incorrect perception that Kirby is a small and unimportant series, which is frequently perpetuated and parroted by the press.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Try googling King K Rool with regards to the Smash Ballot, especially sites like Reddit and GameFAQS. He's getting a lot of stick at the minute especially as he's perceived to be one of the most popular choices - usually stuff about being fat, ugly, irrelevant and competitively unviable. You don't see it so much if you stick to Smashboards because K Rool is very popular here.

As for generic, it's because visually he IS a Waddle-Dee. The only visual distinctions are the spear and bandana and if you havent played the series recently and/or look into him you don't know he is anything more than a powered up version of a standard enemy.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I feel so sad that I slept through the "which characters do you not want" thread, that looked fun.
Also:
Bandana dee Propaganda to dee Maximum.jpg

Quick question: When I'm done with making the propaganda where do I put it? Twitter? I mean obviously you put it here ( Like I just did) but where else?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I feel so sad that I slept through the "which characters do you not want" thread, that looked fun.
Also:
View attachment 60765

Quick question: When I'm done with making the propaganda where do I put it? Twitter? I mean obviously you put it here ( Like I just did) but where else?
Put it in your Twitter (I will also use the DeeLC Twitter to post it again), you can also put it in Tumblr, maybe the Wordpress thing?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I became a fan of Bandana Dee when a star fell from the sky outside my front door, which turned out to be an egg that had crash-landed from a mysterious planet. The egg hatched and revealed itself to be Bandana Dee. We made omelettes and had cherry wine and had a great time together. Then he died of human flu caused by exposure to our yellow sun. In that moment, I vowed to carry on his memory, the name of The Dee etched into my soul for the rest of eternity - I do this in memory of The Dee.

There's also the possibility that I like the Kirby games and admire his fans for their tenacity and integrity.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I became a fan of Bandana Dee when a star fell from the sky outside my front door, which turned out to be an egg that had crash-landed from a mysterious planet. The egg hatched and revealed itself to be Bandana Dee. We made omelettes and had cherry wine and had a great time together. Then he died of human flu caused by exposure to our yellow sun. In that moment, I vowed to carry on his memory, the name of The Dee etched into my soul for the rest of eternity - I do this in memory of The Dee.

There's also the possibility that I like the Kirby games and admire his fans for their tenacity and integrity.
WHICH ONE IS THE TRUTH! I CANNOT TELL! One is this very fabricated lie about meeting a fictional character from a star that fell from the sky. Then that character made omelettes and had cherry wine with you. Then all of a sudden, a tragic, very forced ending to the false tale of Bandana Dee with a typical "I will do this in memory of my friend" goal.

Then there is a very possible and the most likely reasoning of liking the Kirby games and his fans.

The truth, of course, I have all but figured out. The truth is that you truly have met Bandana Dee and had a great time, and then he died and you work in his memory. This was the most logical choice with the most factual evidence. Case closed.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Earth's yellow sun killed Bandana Dee.

Never forget.

How's the Legalise Dee campaign coming along? :3

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Earth's yellow sun killed Bandana Dee.

Never forget.

How's the Legalise Dee campaign coming along? :3
I see you spell legalise with an s. YOU MONSTER! We here in America spell it legalize (z's make everything look badass)

Well I spell it that way, which I'm pretty positive is a spelling for it. If it isn't just don't mind me. Minding my own business here.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
If possible, why don't people write something short on how you became a fan? :bee:
Mine might surprise you other supporters a little bit. :laugh: This means, of course, I must share it;

Though Dedede is my all-time favourite Nintendo character, I was always a fan of Sailor Waddle Dee from Revenge of Meta Knight, in spite of his partaking in an attempt to overthrow the penguin king, as he was the first high-ranking Waddle Dee to have a major role in a Kirby game and I liked how he was depicted. From then on, his personality just defined the species, in my mind.

At the time when I first started reading this thread, long before I joined, I actually originally thought that you guys were possibly just a little bit nuts (in a good and endearing way!) for supporting Bandana Waddle Dee! :laugh: The reason for this is that I am not a fan of remakes (I don't like changes being made to well-respected products) and had been unaware of BWD's added role as Dedede's guard in Kirby Super Star Ultra (in which, I later learned, he was depicted very much like Sailor Waddle Dee), and having missed a couple of games, I also didn't know that his role had grown over time.

Still, that apparent nuttiness and tenacity intrigued me, and I kept on following the thread, and later learned that you guys aren't nuts at all. :laugh: By way of the explanations and trivia this thread and its contributors provided, I filled in my knowledge gap (and tracked down a copy of KSSU) and properly understood why Bandana Waddle Dee was a wanted character for Smash. I've been a supporter and a fan ever since. :grin: I mean, how can I not be? Bandana Waddle Dee is my favourite character's right-hand man, and he should be alongside him in Smash.

Last edited:

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
I remember when I was little, Pokemon and Kirby were my two favorite video game series, and I was already in deep at age 6.

Back when I was just discovering the Internet, I found Nintendo's forum. The old one, with sections dedicated to each series. I visited the Kirby and Pokemon sections almost daily to read all the silly webcomics they had. (Shout outs to a Kirby Komic and Jigglypuff and his merry band of idiots) I also remember hearing about Kirby Superstar, and how you could make helpers. I remember parasol was my favorite helper because the combination of Waddle Dee and a parasol was just too cute. It also gave me a fixation on weaponized umbrellas for a bit.

I guess that's how I became a Dee fan.

Edit: curse these sensitive touch screens
Edit 2: how did I forget about Sailor Dee he was my favorite

Last edited:

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
While we're on Kirby nostalgia, anyone remember this video series called "the new and improved Kirby Superstar?" It was like an early let's play where these two guys played Kirby Superstar game grumps style.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
While we're on Kirby nostalgia, anyone remember this video series called "the new and improved Kirby Superstar?" It was like an early let's play where these two guys played Kirby Superstar game grumps style.
So they played it together or took turns and commentated. So basically they played co-op and talked about stuff. That seems like all the other let's players why is it Game Grumps style. That's insensitive to the other Let's Players (LETS GO STEPHENPLAYS AND CHUGGAACONROY!).

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
So they played it together or took turns and commentated. So basically they played co-op and talked about stuff. That seems like all the other let's players why is it Game Grumps style. That's insensitive to the other Let's Players (LETS GO STEPHENPLAYS AND CHUGGAACONROY!).
They were playing together, and it predates GG by at least 4-5 years.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

The first one seems much more likely.
I became a fan when Lord Jigglypuff send me down to Earth and guided me towards this thread.
Well, Game Grumps pretty much pioneered the "play co-op games and shout loudly over them" style of commentating. It didn't start out so great, because honestly, I find JonTron to be drier than Utah, but I think it got really good when Danny came along. I like The Super Gaming Bros. better, though.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
They were playing together, and it predates GG by at least 4-5 years.
I don't think you understood my last reply. I never said they were stealing/using GGs formula.
Well, Game Grumps pretty much pioneered the "play co-op games and shout loudly over them" style of commentating. It didn't start out so great, because honestly, I find JonTron to be drier than Utah, but I think it got really good when Danny came along. I like The Super Gaming Bros. better, though.
*cough cough TheRunawayGuys*

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
The first one seems much more likely.
I became a fan when Lord Jigglypuff send me down to Earth and guided me towards this thread.

You are probably the only person who thinks GG got better post Jontron. Almost everyone else believes the channel started on a downward spiral at that point.

Enderman1021

Smash Ace
NNID
Enderman1021
The best response to the generic argument is pokemon.

seriously there is like 500,000,000,000,000,000 different charizards in pokemon, what makes the one in smash any different.

Even bandana dee isn't just a waddle dee, he is bandana dee. Greninja is just greninja.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

seriously there is like 500,000,000,000,000,000 different charizards in pokemon, what makes the one in smash any different.

Even bandana dee isn't just a waddle dee, he is bandana dee. Greninja is just greninja.
The same applies to Yoshi, as well. That's even noted in the official description for the Smash series Yoshi Amiibo.

Yoshis come in all sorts of colours but Mario’s close buddy debuted in green. Kind-hearted naturally protective of others and perpetually hungry Yoshi™ is always up for adventure…especially if there are snacks involved. Yoshis can flutter their legs to jump incredibly high. They also have extremely long tongues that they use to snare fruit and even enemies—anything they swallow gets turned into throwable eggs.

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman

People will defend Charizard by saying he's the og Fire starter, and people have been clamoring for him in smash for a while. Greninja is also the most recent water starter who managed to be more popular than than the other two because of protean and generally solid stats for a sweeper.

On a side note, whenever someone mentions Zard, if makes me wanna go on tangent on why he shouldn't have gotten two megas and how he only managed to return to prevalence this gen

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
I don't really get all the "OH MAH GAWSH CARIZURD IS SOOO COOL!" *begins to lists reasons as to why he's "so amazing."* Mainly because I pick squirtle and I found Ash's charizard a huge jerk. I know he gets better as the show goes on but it is still etched in my heart.
But ranting aside(pls don't hunt me down its an opinion) any other ideas to spread the Dee love? Currently I only have my Dee picture posted on colors, dA and of course here. Is there anything else I can draw or do to help spread the Bandana Dee?

Last edited:

Amingo

Smash Apprentice
If possible, why don't people write something short on how you became a fan? :bee:
:231:
It all started at E3 2011, when Nintendo showed the Kirby Adventure Wii (or Return to Dreamland for you American folks) trailer.
I was like: cool a new kirby game, it looks fun!
Then they showed the multiplayer feature and i saw Meta Knight, King Dedede and...... Bandana Dee ?!? Wait who's that guy? Why is he here?
Then I got the game and I tried all the characters in the multiplayer.... and I fell in love. I loved playing as Bandana, slashing my way through the levels with the spear was just awesome! And it still is!
Fast forward to 2013, when the first Smash trailer was shown. I was hyped and started to make predictions for the final roster. The characters that stuck with me were: Palutena :4palutena:, King K Rool, Little Mac:4littlemac:, Ridley (:sadeyes:), Pacman :4pacman:, Waluigi (:sadeyes:), Skull Kid (:sadeyes:), Duck Hunt Dog:4duckhunt: , Rayman and Bandana Dee (not in that order).
Then, when I sign up to smashboards, I encounter the Bandana Dee thread and I find out that he's a recurrent character in the Kirby franchise. The rest is history.
My interest on the character has grown a lot thanks to you guys and gals and he became my second most wanted DLC newcomer (behind K Rool).
I'm sorry if i'm not the most active supporter, i'll try to be better after my exams.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
People will defend Charizard by saying he's the og Fire starter, and people have been clamoring for him in smash for a while. Greninja is also the most recent water starter who managed to be more popular than than the other two because of protean and generally solid stats for a sweeper.

On a side note, whenever someone mentions Zard, if makes me wanna go on tangent on why he shouldn't have gotten two megas and how he only managed to return to prevalence this gen
Greninja was more popular than the rest of the gen 6 starters because his design is cooler. Also the fact that he's a ninja.
I don't really get all the "OH MAH GAWSH CARIZURD IS SOOO COOL!" *begins to lists reasons as to why he's "so amazing."* Mainly because I pick squirtle and I found Ash's charizard a huge jerk. I know he gets better as the show goes on but it is still etched in my heart.
But ranting aside(pls don't hunt me down its an opinion) any other ideas to spread the Dee love? Currently I only have my Dee picture posted on colors, dA and of course here. Is there anything else I can draw or do to help spread the Bandana Dee?
People have fond memories of Charizard because when the game first came out, people saw the cool orange dragon thing on the cover and were sold (remember the customers at this age were around 9-13 ish). Also Charizard is a badass whenever he shows up in the anime. I personally always thought Blastoise was cooler since its a turtle that blue and has cannons that shoot water so strong that it can punch through steel.

I have an idea to spread the message of Bandana Dee.
What we do is have someone edit or make a parody of the deez nutz video but when he says it. Bandana Dee pops up on screen.

Top Bottom