• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
At least the sword is something. It shows that Sakurai us growing to accept more of the new Kirby, as opposed to Brawl. I do agree with you that Sakurai's bias towards his own series doesn't really help Bandana Dee, it really doesn't hurt him all that much either.
Well it's not like Sakurai ever straight up ignored the Kirby games he didn't work on, Brawl had content from them even if only in sticker form (probably music too), I'm just saying when it comes to content, I do believe Sakurai's bias does in fact hurt BD's chances. If it were any other series with recent offerings, Sakurai would put the focus of the content on those iterations, but with Kirby Sakurai seems to dwell on the games he made, with the other titles receiving much less comparative attention. It doesn't rule anything out, but I believe it certainly is a hindrance.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I'm back from college.
Well, thanks for posting that @BluePikmin11 , I personally think is fake, but who knows?
I personally don't care so much, because if it's fake I would still support his inclusion for DLC.

And yes, I actually think @ N3ON N3ON is right, Sakurai's bias are a bad thing for Bandana Dee, but well, the Ultra Sword is something, so...there is still a possibility.

I updated my signature, who likes it?
I like it.

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
Well it's not like Sakurai ever straight up ignored the Kirby games he didn't work on, Brawl had content from them even if only in sticker form (probably music too), I'm just saying when it comes to content, I do believe Sakurai's bias does in fact hurt BD's chances. If it were any other series with recent offerings, Sakurai would put the focus of the content on those iterations, but with Kirby Sakurai seems to dwell on the games he made, with the other titles receiving much less comparative attention. It doesn't rule anything out, but I believe it certainly is a hindrance.
I do see where you're coming from and I'd probably agree with you if there was an obvious character from old Kirby games that could make a good new rep for the series in Smash, but there really isn't. The closest to my knowledge is Knuckle Joe, and he's already deconfirmed. What I'm saying is that if Kirby gets a new rep, which is a possibility due to it being a rather large series for Nintendo, there isn't much from older games to interfere with Bandana Dee's chances.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Well considering the recent games have had more of a slight Sakurai flavoring, I'm HOPING that Sakurai is more favorable of director Shinya Kumazaki. He brought movesets back and did the KSSU remake some damn good justice. He's not as ambitious as Sakurai and his KSS title and experimental kart game Air Ride but he may be getting there. Triple Deluxe had some very awesome and meaty side games. The fact that the sword specifically from Return to Dreamland showed up as the first thing from a new Kirby game is pretty exciting. This game was directed by Shinya Kumazaki. Soooo I'm hoping the case is that he's warming up to this guy's work on the series. I really like Shinya Kumazaki myself and all the games he's worked on. Triple Deluxe as both a hit AND well received by critics as well. (except IGN but they confirmed hate Kirby anyway, lol.) So I mean, the franchise is back on tracks. I can only hope the vengeful ghost of Sakurai's HAL spirit is put to rest knowing his baby is in better hands?

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
Well considering the recent games have had more of a slight Sakurai flavoring, I'm HOPING that Sakurai is more favorable of director Shinya Kumazaki. He brought movesets back and did the KSSU remake some damn good justice. He's not as ambitious as Sakurai and his KSS title and experimental kart game Air Ride but he may be getting there. Triple Deluxe had some very awesome and meaty side games. The fact that the sword specifically from Return to Dreamland showed up as the first thing from a new Kirby game is pretty exciting. This game was directed by Shinya Kumazaki. Soooo I'm hoping the case is that he's warming up to this guy's work on the series. I really like Shinya Kumazaki myself and all the games he's worked on. Triple Deluxe as both a hit AND well received by critics as well. (except IGN but they confirmed hate Kirby anyway, lol.) So I mean, the franchise is back on tracks. I can only hope the vengeful ghost of Sakurai's HAL spirit is put to rest knowing his baby is in better hands?
Yeah, IGN gave Return to dreamland a 7.5. And it's basically New Super Mario Bros meets Kirby Super Star, which they gave a 10.

In other Kirby news, I finally beat the True Arena in KSSU. Plasma is love, Plasma is life.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Yeah, IGN gave Return to dreamland a 7.5. And it's basically New Super Mario Bros meets Kirby Super Star, which they gave a 10.

In other Kirby news, I finally beat the True Arena in KSSU. Plasma is love, Plasma is life.
"I finally beat the True Arena in KSSU"

"Finally"

"FINALLY"

How long have you been trying to beat The True Arena?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I do see where you're coming from and I'd probably agree with you if there was an obvious character from old Kirby games that could make a good new rep for the series in Smash, but there really isn't. The closest to my knowledge is Knuckle Joe, and he's already deconfirmed. What I'm saying is that if Kirby gets a new rep, which is a possibility due to it being a rather large series for Nintendo, there isn't much from older games to interfere with Bandana Dee's chances.
Mario is the biggest series for Nintendo, and it didn't get a new rep in Brawl. Zelda might not get a new rep this time. DK is bigger than Kirby and at this point it'd be lucky to get Dixie as a clone. Just because a series is big doesn't mean it'll get a rep, especially when it has its main cast already covered. Look at Mario last time. Bandana Dee is a b-tier character from a series that both has its principal cast already and just received two original characters last time. Being next in line doesn't really mean much when it's basically the biggest thing the character has in it's favour (considering there's a big drop-off in the series between the existing three and BD); Bandana Dee support only really took off because people needed a Kirby character to support. And it's not Mario, Kirby's not going to start reaching into the next tier for original candidates.

To put it in another light, if MK or Dedede hadn't been included in Brawl, the support for Bandana Dee this time around would be practically non-existent, all the support would go to one of them. Sure BD might have the potential for originality, but in a series like Kirby... there doesn't need to be a designated spot for "new Kirby rep", and in all likelihood there isn't.

I don't really have anything else to say about BD, and I won't go on past this, because this is the place to support Bandana Dee, not decry him, but it's surprising to me how many people have been duped into thinking he is anything more than a very dark horse with a very outside shot at best.

Last edited:

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
Mario is the biggest series for Nintendo, and it didn't get a new rep in Brawl. Zelda might not get a new rep this time. DK is bigger than Kirby and at this point it'd be lucky to get Dixie as a clone. Just because a series is big doesn't mean it'll get a rep, especially when it has its main cast already covered. Look at Mario last time. Bandana Dee is a b-tier character from a series that both has its principal cast already and just received two original characters last time. Being next in line doesn't really mean much when it's basically the biggest thing the character has in it's favour (considering there's a big drop-off in the series between the existing three and BD); Bandana Dee support only really took off because people needed a Kirby character to support. And it's not Mario, Kirby's not going to start reaching into the next tier for original candidates.

To put it in another light, if MK or Dedede hadn't been included in Brawl, the support for Bandana Dee this time around would be practically non-existent, all the support would go to one of them. Sure BD might have the potential for originality, but in a series like Kirby... there doesn't need to be a designated spot for "new Kirby rep", and in all likelihood there isn't.

I don't really have anything else to say about BD, and I won't go on past this, because this is the place to support Bandana Dee, not decry him, but it's surprising to me how many people have been duped into thinking he is anything more than a very dark horse with a very outside shot at best.
I know that you said that you wanted to be done, but I just want to say that I never said that kirby will get a new rep, I simply said that the chance exists that it could and you are completely right that no one would be talking about BD if MK or DDD weren't already in the game. However, this is the natural progression of things with the Smash community, and saying that BD would be ignored is like saying Rosalina would be ignored if Bowser wasn't in. Of course she wouldn't be considered because Bowser has tenure over her. Overall I accept and respect your opinions, and I completely see your logic, but I guess I just see the situation differently.

Last edited:

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
"I finally beat the True Arena in KSSU"

"Finally"

"FINALLY"

How long have you been trying to beat The True Arena?
I tried as hard as I could as a wee tyke, and only recently picked up the game. True Arena was the only thing that I didn't beat, so I tried it and won.

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord

I'd be more convinced of this argument is Bandana Dee's prominence itself wasn't being propped up the HAL Labs themselves. Hes back yet again in Rainbow Curse with what looks like a possibly promising major role. Bandana Dee is beginnings and growing of a major 4th rep. In the same way Rosalina is.

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
Can someone explain what happened in a nutshell while I was gone? I'm lost.
Bandana Dee was deconfirmed and then un-deconfirmed by a leak of his trophy and the leak's eventual debunking. You missed some fun, and by fun I mean stressful, times.

D

Deleted member

So… when do you think we'll get any new Kirby information pertaining to KRtD or KTD? At this point I think we'll be lucky to get Bandana Dee, but I need at least one stage from my favorite Kirby games!

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
So… when do you think we'll get any new Kirby information pertaining to KRtD or KTD? At this point I think we'll be lucky to get Bandana Dee, but I need at least one stage from my favorite Kirby games!
At the very least, I think a RTDL stage is a guarantee.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I dunno. I'm tired of speculating and it's getting close to release. I don't know if Bandana Dee will get in or a new stage will happen but at this point I just need to see it to believe it. I HOPE these things happen. I'm not getting my hopes too high up. I'm just waiting now for reveal or deconfirmation of these things. I feel I have nothing left to add or subtract this far near release. Now I'm just playing the waiting game.

Last edited:

Servine

Smash Cadet
I'm really glad by how long the SSB4 hype train has gone without a Bandana Dee disconfirmation. As we near the end of our journey, we still don't know for sure what's in store for us when the hype train crashes, but there's always a glimmer of hope that the Dee is one of the playable characters that Sakurai has left for us. And, no matter what leaks try to bog us down, we'll keep the hype train going until September 13th, the day of judgment.

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
No one is a match for Bandana Dee!

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
If Bandana Dee doesn't become playable, I'd much rather have him appear on a stage or something rather than an assist trophy. I'd really like it if there's a stage with Whispy (which has been in every single Smash Bros. game) that he's like, standing near him, watching the fight and clapping or something, and sometimes sits down against Whispy and falls asleep, haha. Also, I want Bandana Dee to sometimes take out a plate with Kirby's Strawberry Cake from Squeak Squad and Return to Dream Land and starts eating it.

Alsoooooo...

I'll probably be throwing out a few updates for Kirby's Adventure tomorrow morning.

Servine

Smash Cadet
If Bandana Dee isn't a playable character, I'd prefer him to not be in the game at all, because that increases his chance for a DLC candidate.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
If Bandana Dee isn't a playable character, I'd prefer him to not be in the game at all, because that increases his chance for a DLC candidate.
Oh, when I was talking about "Playable Character", I meant in general - so he wouldn't be in the game or as DLC. It'd give him more chances to be in the game if he's not playable of being a playable character in the next game, so...

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
If Bandana Dee isn't playable, I want him to be a customization option for King DeDeDe's side B.

At least we would see him in Competitive play.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Anyway, I have mixed feelings about this gif. Yeah Bandana Dee's all cool and invincible, BUT WHAT ABOUT KIRBY!? :laugh:
Kirby is stronger than Bandana Dee for sure hah. Heck I think Kirby's ridiculously over powered a being in general. Part of what makes Kirby games wonderful for beginners is the fact that Kirby himself is way over powered for a platform super star. Having the ability to float, having much more life, being able to use a great multitude of power in comparison to other stars of the genre....

Let's not even get into his various ever increasing super abilities through out the series and the fact he now eat enemies 20x his size, explode like an atomic bomb and survive, wield a sword that can grow x10 larger, etc

All this and keep in mind...

Kirby is only a baby...

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Kirby is only a baby...
Really? Didn't Sakurai say he was teenager once? :p
Also, big news:
DIRECT! Nintendo's Japan website has announced a 8/29 3DS direct! Let's hope it talks about smash and reveals Bandana Dee (and Ridley)! Now we just have to wait for the American announcement...
Also, I got a fortune cookie yesterday saying 'Good news of a long-awaited event will arrive soon.' IRONY! :laugh:

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Really? Didn't Sakurai say he was teenager once? :p
Also, big news:
DIRECT! Nintendo's Japan website has announced a 8/29 3DS direct! Let's hope it talks about smash and reveals Bandana Dee (and Ridley)! Now we just have to wait for the American announcement...
Also, I got a fortune cookie yesterday saying 'Good news of a long-awaited event will arrive soon.' IRONY! :laugh:
No Kirby is an infant. He's never been stated as being a teenager. Why do yo think he sounds like a baby :D

ALSO omg Nintendo Direct for tomorrow! Sweeeeet!

I'd like to also add that I reread the interview where the developers at Hal were talking about the 3 cancelled games. In it Shinya Kumazaki mentions he had worked on canvas curse. He's now been directing the Kirby games and what if the reason for those Bandana Waddle Dees in Rainbow Curse is because HE'S directing this game too. He has given more importance to the character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom