• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I don't think Meta Knight's that temperamental. But still, considering the ship's armed with bombs, a cannon, and a claw, yes, caution is advised.
Not that temperamental?! He tried to overthrow Dedede with that ship! :laugh: As imperfect a ruler as Dedede might be, I seriously doubt that whatever it was he did to prompt Meta Knight to strike back warranted an attempted overthrowing with that.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Not that temperamental?! He tried to overthrow Dedede with that ship! :laugh: As imperfect a ruler as Dedede might be, I seriously doubt that whatever it was he did to prompt Meta Knight to strike back warranted an attempted overthrowing with that.
I didn't say he was reasonable. Maybe Dedede stole his cake.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Maybe Dedede was on holiday during RoMK. Do keep in mind that Dedede only appears in Spring Breeze, Gourmet Race, and Revenge of the King. The Arenas, H to H and MK Ultra don't count as the first three are Boss Rushes and MK Ultra is a replay of all original subgames minus Gourmet Race. Minigames don't count as they are minigames

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
To be honest, if I had access to a giant overkill battleship and someone stole chocolate cake from me, it wouldn't take a mastermind to figure out what I would do.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Why do people still refer to Yellow Kirby as Keeby? Keeby has never been confirmed to appear outside of Dream Course, so it's pretty safe to assume that he's exclusive to that game. If you're going to start doing that, you might as well call Green Kirby by his other name, Kusamochi.

---

Anyways... I might have something for you guys to occupy yourselves with. I was testing out how Carry Dee's AI works in Return to Dreamland, so I now know what his different "settings" are. His first two actions have him running away once Kirby is detected. However, when Carry Dee detects a wall, his settings will determine what he does. The first action will make it so that Carry Dee will jump when he comes in contact with a block. Whether it's only one-block high or an entire wall he can't scale, he will always try to jump over it. The second action will make it so that Carry Dee turns around and runs in the other direction once confronted with a wall. The same rules apply here -- whether it's one block high or an entire wall, he will always turn around. He can't have both, in that he jumps over blocks yet turns around at walls.

Along with that, he can use any of Waddle Dee's standard actions. This includes standing in place doing nothing, walking forward with varying speeds, or walking back and forth between two places. However, these actions aren't triggered when Kirby is detected, and rather start right when he's loaded into the game.

The reason I bring this up is because I need new Carry Dee puzzles for Return to Dreamland. Because of this, if interest is high enough, I'll be taking in submissions and implementing the best ones in the mod. You can use the template I posted earlier to design the courses, if doing things digitally, simply grid the level out using the Fill Bucket in-between the squares. When designing courses, remember the following:

• Generally, it's best to keep Kirby and Carry Dee in their own sections. If Kirby can instantly access Carry Dee, he can simply kill him and continue onwards with it.
  • Following with the above, Kirby and Carry Dee's sections need to be designed based on the main goal. For example, if you want it to be a race, you'll want Carry Dee's path to be more simple, so he can keep a good pace against Kirby. At the same time, you'll want to include obstacles for Kirby to rush through, so the player has a challenge while trying to go fast enough.
  • Interactions can be made between the two. In Dangerous Dinner, the developers used switches that Kirby controls to lead Carry Dee through a maze. The same can be done here, although generally you have more assets to work with as the developers limited themselves for ease and simplicity.

Here's some examples of how it's done in-game:

https://youtu.be/W7rVvubmk8g?t=7s
https://youtu.be/AhZtpcHMUWA?t=50s
https://youtu.be/BGxOSRPgOe0?t=23s

---

Remember, you have much more assets to work with! For example, as seen in Nutty Noon, they use the Stone ability to gain a better lead. You can design your puzzle around Copy Abilities, too, just make sure that you can get through the section without having to use Copy Ability. For clarification on this, though, you can make it so you need the Copy Ability to actually beat Carry Dee fast enough, but make sure if the player doesn't take the ability, they can get through the section and continue through the level without the Energy Sphere.

You can also mess around with things like wind/water, special items, moving platforms, falling platforms, and more. As another example, pretend you're basing your course around Sword/Cutter/Spear Kirby. You can make it so the player needs to interact with Carry Dee's setting by breaking ropes that'll cover hazardous objects that would usually kill him, so he can continue onwards.

Along with that, generally, if you're focusing on interactions between Kirby and Carry Dee, design both sections with that in mind. However, if you're designing a race or something similar, you don't have to worry about things like "how fast does Carry Dee travel?", as I'll fix his section up to ensure that he keeps the challenge going. All I need to know is how much faster/slower you'd like Carry Dee to be travelling compared to Kirby.

If you have any questions, just ask me~

---

Also, I have an announcement I'm pretty excited for that I'll be talking about in a while! Just to give a slight hint, it's another Kirby project, focusing on Kirby's Adventure. MarioMeteor MarioMeteor would be interested in this one~

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Also, I have an announcement I'm pretty excited for that I'll be talking about in a while! Just to give a slight hint, it's another Kirby project, focusing on Kirby's Adventure. MarioMeteor MarioMeteor would be interested in this one~
...Go on...

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So Stealth has teased a second character, may be Bandana Dee, but at this point, I don't really care anymore, even if it's possibly BD. If he's in, wahooo, if it's real, okay.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
So Stealth has teased a second character, may be Bandana Dee, but at this point, I don't really care anymore, even if it's possibly BD. If he's in, wahooo, if it's real, okay.
How?
Don't just say that he's teased it, at least give us the source of it, please.
Otherwise it's 100% heresay

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
By tomorrow it will have been 10 days since the Ballot supposedly closed. And not even a peep from Sakurai, HAL, Nintendo, or Namco.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So I couldn't get the link, I asked for it for about an hour and then gave up and started playing Broken Age. Sorry.

Last edited:

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
I'm just imagining Sakurai in his office, whispering to himself: "Yes. Your impatience gives me power. I turn the power into humor. I use that humor to troll you all when it comes to character reveals."

Inb4 Dark Pit

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
However, If Bandana Dee is in fact pre-ballot, it's possible we could get a new Kirby game for the Wii U announced over the next few weeks.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think it's dangerous to in any way expect that we'll get him at all... ;)
I'm not saying anything, I don't really expect him to be pre-ballot, and quite frankly, I don't care about this rumor at all, I'm just informing everyone that it's a possibility, but I'm not sure about it being the case. It could be Dixie or Tetra for all we know. But those three are the only ones and quite frankly I'm not willing to waste my time on this.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I'm not saying anything, I don't really expect him to be pre-ballot, and quite frankly, I don't care about this rumor at all, I'm just informing everyone that it's a possibility, but I'm not sure about it being the case. It could be Dixie or Tetra for all we know.
Pre-Ballot is over. Roy, Ryu, and Lucas were pre-Ballot. If Dee were pre-Ballot, we'd have gotten him by now.
Also, damn it all, I missed my 3,000th post.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
I'm just imagining Sakurai in his office, whispering to himself: "Yes. Your impatience gives me power. I turn the power into humor. I use that humor to troll you all when it comes to character reveals."

Inb4 Dark Pit
Inb4 Sword Doo

What does Inb4 mean?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think you're getting overzealous about this.
I never said anything, I don't even think it's the Dee, I think it's Tetra, I only said it was a possibility and only a possibility. Nothing else.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Because Toon Zelda is super likely.
Thank you.

Tetra? If there's one thing I can say about, you have some unique instincts.
She would help promote Hyrule Warriors Legends, just saying. The only way it could be Dee is if a new Kirby game were to be announced soon.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So would Young Link, but you don't see any love for him.
#ThatfeelingwhennoonesupportsthecharacteryouwantassmashDLC
Difference being that one is a newcomer and one isn't.

Edit: I'm actually unsure who it is, we should just play it by year and wait. I don't know if it's Tetra.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Nintenzilla, are you completely sure that leaker guy or whatever said that Bandana Dee is a possibility?
Everybody says it's Inkling.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
Nintenzilla, are you completely sure that leaker guy or whatever said that Bandana Dee is a possibility?
I'm sure it's fake. Just like the person using Chandelure's account. That ain't Chandelure, he's not telling us to get back on topic and shut up about the leaks!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It was a second leak, and I don't really care. Just exchanging info. Basically, says he knows a second character, has similar description to other character, Bandana Dee fits the description, and I don't give a ****.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
We really have hit an all-time low when measly Reddit leaks are getting us all ravenous like starved children.

Top Bottom