• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Not sure where, but I think someone confirmed Shovel Knight was a hoax.

That BD render looks really fake.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
I found a picture that's very similar to the render used in the leak.
Yeah... there is no way that Nintendo would let that slide. It's still better than what I can draw, but it's still terrible. The foot on the left is completely off, the eyes are nowhere near symmetrical, and the bodyline is extremely squiggly.

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
Despite every leak and rumor of Shovel Knight appearing in Smash being proven false, there are still some people who think he'll be in the game. (also the people on Miiverse who think Shovel Knight is out in Japan)

EDIT because no replies and I don't want to double post:

Smashified doesn't think that Bandana Dee is popular. He is one of the most popular characters for Smash, and one of the only extremely popular characters not Smashified. Bias maybe?

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Smashified doesn't think that Bandana Dee is popular. He is one of the most popular characters for Smash, and one of the only extremely popular characters not Smashified. Bias maybe?
They did Travis, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Despite every leak and rumor of Shovel Knight appearing in Smash being proven false, there are still some people who think he'll be in the game. (also the people on Miiverse who think Shovel Knight is out in Japan)
Well, leaks don't mean a thing. The leakers are just trying to ride off the Shovel rumors from not so long ago.. lol

As for if he'll be in the game? Who knows. He could be. While the leaks and rumors hold no water 99% of the time (I say 99%, as I think back to the infamous ESRB leak... lol), there is still no clear sign of who we'll see as DLC from the ballot, and we have no clear view of the real results. It could be Rayman.. it could be Bandana Dee. It could be K. Rool, it could be any one of the big contenders to be honest.

The rules in this are fairly unclear... but I have an understanding of at least roughly 2. One of which is validated, and the other just pulls from common sense and logic.. lol. I'll throw those in spoilers if anyone wants to see that.

"
1. The character has to have originated from a video game

That rule is arguably one of the most notable, and important. Infact, it was the only rule specified for the ballot. This rule basically feels like a safety net put up by Nintendo. They knew they would probably get a thousand troll characters, and get suggestions for non-video game characters, so they probably set this up.. lol.
So basically this rule means:

A. Characters who originated in anime/manga media aren't eligible. (Naruto, Goku, Ash Ketchum, Inuyasha, etc.)

B. Characters who originated in movies/animated movies aren't eligible. (Shrek, Wreck It Ralph, etc.)

C. Characters who originated in cartoons aren't eligible. (Spongebob, Mickey Mouse, etc.)

D. Any other characters who originated outside of gaming in general aren't eligible. (Storybook/book characters, Real people, etc.)

2. The character has to sell
Obviously, this wasn't "mentioned" as a rule, but it's definitely something that would be a key factor, no matter what.. as it would ultimately decide whether the character was worth the time or not. This, is arguably probably one of the main reasons the ballot was started to begin with..: So Nintendo could get an idea of what characters, were heavily popular, and which ones didn't receive votes at all. Sorta like a "which characters have profit potential" sort of thing.
So basically a few things flesh out from this rule:

A. The character must have a notablely large fanbase. (Again, this is based off of the "is the character profitable?" question. If a character has a large/decent fanbase, they would probably be more interested in the idea... luckily, the nature of the ballot in general helps with this aspect anyway, as the ones at the top will probably recieve the most attention.)

B. The character must work as a fighter. (Of course, even though this is fan service, the character still has to flesh out as a fighter. The reason for this, is simply this: No matter how much a character is requested in the ballot, if they don't play well, or work horribly as a fighter, that could affect their profit potential. Some "might" buy them just to have the character, though others might see that "this character sucks" aspect as a turn off.)"

Either way, I'm still waiting patiently for the ballot's end.. and for the unspecified time when we get to see the results XD

D

Deleted member

What! Artsy Omni won't Smashified Bandana waddle dee because he is not popular? then what the hell is this!?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Wait Bandana Dee is the most popular request if we're going by his youtube videos, uh, has anyone notified him of that, because that would in fact, mean he is popular.

D

Deleted member

That was made for the makers of Mother 4.
I know and I have nothing against it or anything but Omni can Smashified a character like Travis that will never make it into a smash game but not Bandana Waddle Dee? that was the point I was trying to make my friend.

Bandana Dee3

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0379-7875-6874
UMMMMMM BOMBERMAN ISNT THAT POPULAR BUT HE WAS STILL SMASH IFIED
even though I still want him in he's not that popular

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Well, leaks don't mean a thing. The leakers are just trying to ride off the Shovel rumors from not so long ago.. lol

As for if he'll be in the game? Who knows. He could be. While the leaks and rumors hold no water 99% of the time (I say 99%, as I think back to the infamous ESRB leak... lol), there is still no clear sign of who we'll see as DLC from the ballot, and we have no clear view of the real results. It could be Rayman.. it could be Bandana Dee. It could be K. Rool, it could be any one of the big contenders to be honest.

The rules in this are fairly unclear... but I have an understanding of at least roughly 2. One of which is validated, and the other just pulls from common sense and logic.. lol. I'll throw those in spoilers if anyone wants to see that.

"

That rule is arguably one of the most notable, and important. Infact, it was the only rule specified for the ballot. This rule basically feels like a safety net put up by Nintendo. They knew they would probably get a thousand troll characters, and get suggestions for non-video game characters, so they probably set this up.. lol.

A. Characters who originated in anime/manga media aren't eligible. (Naruto, Goku, Ash Ketchum, Inuyasha, etc.)

B. Characters who originated in movies/animated movies aren't eligible. (Shrek, Wreck It Ralph, etc.)

C. Characters who originated in cartoons aren't eligible. (Spongebob, Mickey Mouse, etc.)

D. Any other characters who originated outside of gaming in general aren't eligible. (Storybook/book characters, Real people, etc.)

Obviously, this wasn't "mentioned" as a rule, but it's definitely something that would be a key factor, no matter what.. as it would ultimately decide whether the character was worth the time or not. This, is arguably probably one of the main reasons the ballot was started to begin with..: So Nintendo could get an idea of what characters, were heavily popular, and which ones didn't receive votes at all. Sorta like a "which characters have profit potential" sort of thing.

A. The character must have a notablely large fanbase. (Again, this is based off of the "is the character profitable?" question. If a character has a large/decent fanbase, they would probably be more interested in the idea... luckily, the nature of the ballot in general helps with this aspect anyway, as the ones at the top will probably recieve the most attention.)

B. The character must work as a fighter. (Of course, even though this is fan service, the character still has to flesh out as a fighter. The reason for this, is simply this: No matter how much a character is requested in the ballot, if they don't play well, or work horribly as a fighter, that could affect their profit potential. Some "might" buy them just to have the character, though others might see that "this character sucks" aspect as a turn off.)"

Either way, I'm still waiting patiently for the ballot's end.. and for the unspecified time when we get to see the results XD
Didn't Lucario debut in the anime before the games? What would that make him?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

"

While the leak from last night was debunked, the rumors have not been debunked. D-Man9293 D-Man9293 Please don't spread misinformation like that please. :)

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Interesting question. Though here, in regards to the franchise in question, Pokemon as a whole originated in video games.. I do believe a Lucario made an appearance in Lucario and the mystery of Mew.. which was a year before Diamond and Pearl. However, his presence and importance in the movie in general was probably an advertisement push to help promote it's future appearance in the next generation.. (and in general, the difference between a character like Lucario, and Goku, is still obvious. Lucario's franchise in particular originated in video games.. and as I stated, his appearance in the anime movie was probably subtle advertising.. (Lucario would become very popular during that time XD). As for Goku, the first instance of Dragon ball was a manga series.. and of course, Dragon Ball Z was anime. Goku's, as well as all Dragon Ball characters as a whole originated in Manga and Anime... Though they did get some video games, the fact that that they didn't originate in the industry makes them ineligible.)

While the leak from last night was debunked, the rumors have not been debunked. D-Man9293 D-Man9293 Please don't spread misinformation like that please. :)
Heh, I knew the leak was debunked :p. That's mainly what I ment with "Well, leaks don't mean a thing. The leakers are just trying to ride off the Shovel rumors from not so long ago.. lol"

A lot of fake leaks usually ride off of the hype of recent rumors.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Interesting question. Though here, in regards to the franchise in question, Pokemon as a whole originated in video games.. I do believe a Lucario made an appearance in Lucario and the mystery of Mew.. which was a year before Diamond and Pearl. However, his presence and importance in the movie in general was probably an advertisement push to help promote it's future appearance in the next generation.. (and in general, the difference between a character like Lucario, and Goku, is still obvious. Lucario's franchise in particular originated in video games.. and as I stated, his appearance in the anime movie was probably subtle advertising.. (Lucario would become very popular during that time XD). As for Goku, the first instance of Dragon ball was a manga series.. and of course, Dragon Ball Z was anime. Goku's, as well as all Dragon Ball characters as a whole originated in Manga and Anime... Though they did get some video games, the fact that that they didn't originate in the industry makes them ineligible.)

Heh, I knew the leak was debunked :p. That's mainly what I ment with "Well, leaks don't mean a thing. The leakers are just trying to ride off the Shovel rumors from not so long ago.. lol"

A lot of fake leaks usually ride off of the hype of recent rumors.
So would Ash Ketchum be eligible? (Not that I want him, just wondering)

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
So would Ash Ketchum be eligible? (Not that I want him, just wondering)
Definitely not. I believe the key difference that would set Lucario apart from Ash, is one thing:

Lucario was obviously intended for the video games. as I stated, his movie appearance was probably advertising on Gamefreak's part, to hype up it's introduction in the next gen.. To be honest, They tend to do that in general with certain pokes when a new gen is around the corner. It's primarily to boost sales of the games when they hit XD. It's sorta like how Pokemon reps work in Smash in general actually.. Sakurai usually looks at pokes that are the most popular at that particular time. Mewtwo during the time of Melee was popular. Lucario was beginning to become a very popular poke when he appeared in Brawl.. and Greninja of course was promotion for X/Y (And has also become a popular fan favorite). Even Mewtwo's comeback, though primarily due to fan demand, makes sense here. The introduction of the two megas for the character, and the push for Mewtwo in general renewed interest for him... and to me, that certainly warranted seeing him as a returning veteran in Smash Bros, to seal the deal.

Ash on the other hand, was created specifically for the animated series. He has never made a specific, significant, REAL appearance in the video games. He originated in Anime, and is associated with that series.

Going a bit more into topic, looking at the animated Kirby series for more examples, Tiff, Tuff, Escargoon, and other Kirby Anime related characters wouldn't be eligible. Though Escargoon made a cameo in Kirby Mass Attack, since these characters originated in the anime adaptation of the series, and not in the videogames, they wouldn't be eligible.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Just a mention although unimportant. Lucario's first in game appearance was in PMD: Rescue Team as a cameo as an obtainable statue. Movie still happened first though.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
To be honest, They tend to do that in general with certain pokes when a new gen is around the corner.
Absolutely right - they've done this since the very first movie, too. The opening sequence for that featured some from Gold/Silver, which wasn't out anywhere at that point, if my memory serves me correctly.

Going a bit more into topic, looking at the animated Kirby series for more examples, Tiff, Tuff, Escargoon, and other Kirby Anime related characters wouldn't be eligible. Though Escargoon made a cameo in Kirby Mass Attack, since these characters originated in the anime adaptation of the series, and not in the videogames, they wouldn't be eligible.
And there's the fact that the Kirby anime was always officially stated to be a non-canon alternate universe, in the name of making it accessible to non-fans. (This is something that I always thought was stupid - why did accessibility necessitate throwing out everything that makes the series what it is, and also necessitate making every member of the game cast ludicrously out-of-character?)

I won't deny that. Escargoon was a funny character in the anime.. and it would be nice if he was adapted over to the games regardless.
Goodness me, I hope not... He was bearable in the anime, but I'd hate to see him appear in the games (obviously, the mini-game cameo isn't canonical in any way, as we know :p). He wouldn't belong, and, well, does anyone here want to see Bandana Waddle Dee's role undermined? :laugh:

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Goodness me, I hope not... He was bearable in the anime, but I'd hate to see him appear in the games (obviously, the mini-game cameo isn't canonical in any way, as we know :p). He wouldn't belong, and, well, does anyone here want to see Bandana Waddle Dee's role undermined? :laugh:
Maybe Escargoon was in the game's universe. Maybe he just got fired, and got replaced by Bandana Dee? XD

I mean, Bandana Dee is actually good with a weapon, sooo... lol. Escargoon isn't very good at his job

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Maybe Escargoon was in the game's universe. Maybe he just got fired, and got replaced by Bandana Dee? XD

I mean, Bandana Dee is actually good with a weapon, sooo... lol. Escargoon isn't very good at his job
It's improbable to say the least - he was never there because he never existed there, since his origin is officially non-canon and was never intended to be anything else. :p Occam's Razor and all that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's a tie between Marx and Magolor to me. Zero/Zero² is definitely creepy, but this:

and this:
Are far more stereotypically satanic than it. Though I am not sure if they are the evilest villains in the Kirby series.
to be fair Marx seems to enjoy fighting Kirby and gets a laugh out of it but Magolor only seems to want Kirby out of his way.

just thinking about how both battles played out.
What about "King Dedede's Servants - The Bandana Dee Social Thread?
What about "The Waddle Warriors - The Bandana Dee Social Thread?" No? Anyone?
a video game advertisement.
Escargoon should be in more games...
Escargoon should have his own spin off! A Puzzle Game! Escargoon quest.
the story starts when dedede lost his crown Escargoon suspects that pink puff ball. so he then proceeds to confront kirby holding something that looks like it Boss fight
only to find out it wasn't the same thing... he then thinks maybe that annoying girl took it.
he finds tiff and she just so happens to be holding something! she yells at him before he can ask. Boss fight
he takes a look and it turns out it wasn't her, then it hits him The Slimy Salesmen! turns out he doesn't have it But he won't let him leave without paying for the king's debt! Boss fight after that he decides to go back to castle Dedede only to find Dedede wearing it Escargoon is mad but he can't do anything about! end!

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Also since I'm a ridiculously paranoid person, do you think my new profile pic is better or worse than my old one?
--->
Wahehehe.png

I think I may have a problem with paranoia

So, on topic, any other suggestions for a social thread name? I'm asking this because I really, really, need some sleep, and will make a poll in 5 mins, so if you have any other ideas, please tell me now, since I'm going to sleep the moment I get that opportunity :laugh:.
Edit: It's been 5 minutes but I've decided I'll give it ten more minutes. But after that I'm going to instantly be going to sleep.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Also since I'm a ridiculously paranoid person, do you think my new profile pic is better or worse than my old one?
--->View attachment 74671
I momentarily had difficulty recognising you earlier, but I like both. :p

So, on topic, any other suggestions for a social thread name? I'm asking this because I really, really, need some sleep, and will make a poll in 5 mins, so if you have any other ideas, please tell me now, since I'm going to sleep the moment I get that opportunity :laugh:.
No further ones from me, I'm afraid.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
to be fair Marx seems to enjoy fighting Kirby and gets a laugh out of it but Magolor only seems to want Kirby out of his way.

just thinking about how both battles played out.

What about "The Waddle Warriors - The Bandana Dee Social Thread?" No? Anyone?

a video game advertisement.

Escargoon should have his own spin off! A Puzzle Game! Escargoon quest.
the story starts when dedede lost his crown Escargoon suspects that pink puff ball. so he then proceeds to confront kirby holding something that looks like it Boss fight
only to find out it wasn't the same thing... he then thinks maybe that annoying girl took it.
he finds tiff and she just so happens to be holding something! she yells at him before he can ask. Boss fight
he takes a look and it turns out it wasn't her, then it hits him The Slimy Salesmen! turns out he doesn't have it But he won't let him leave without paying for the king's debt! Boss fight after that he decides to go back to castle Dedede only to find Dedede wearing it Escargoon is mad but he can't do anything about! end!
Speaking of Nui, has anyone noticed that our sigs have been dissapearing?

Last edited:

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434

Bias? Yes.

D

Deleted member

--->View attachment 74671

old one is better because it's mad yet still cute and it will protect you from that guy behind you.
Speaking of Niu, has anyone noticed that our sigs have been dissapearing?
HER NAME IS NUI GET IT RIGHT!

yeah i thought it was because my bad internet.
something with imgur i guess.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

I don't think so. Omni is a huge fan of the Kirby series, they probably just prioritized other characters over him.
old one is better because it's mad yet still cute and it will protect you from that guy behind you.

HER NAME IS NUI GET IT RIGHT!

yeah i thought it was because my bad internet.
something with imgur i guess.
Don't blame me, blame auto-correct.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Bandana Dee Social thread name poll, I feel guilty that I won't be able to add anymore submissions so if you have any ideas feel free to make your own poll with the same options plus the new ones.
Regardless, good night, and if it's not night, (probably isn't, my timezones weird) have a good day.

D

Deleted member

how cool would it be if there was a bandana dee pillow?
They're not displayed if your post is below a certain length.
or maybe her internet is as bad as mine.
i keep getting a message under my post saying something was wrong with the image.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
how cool would it be if there was a bandana dee pillow?
Well, you could always add a bandana to the giant Waddle Dee cushion shown at the Tokyo Toy Show earlier this year. Not quite the same, I know...

or maybe her internet is as bad as mine.
I think I'm confused, whose internet is what now? :laugh:

Seriously, though, I'm not entirely sure that it's a problem with anyone's connection. Browser, maybe - try emptying cache, perhaps?

i keep getting a message under my post saying something was wrong with the image.
That's weird, I can't see that... Your signature images are displaying fine for me on posts where the signature is visible, for whatever it's worth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom