• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I was on Twitter and I found a new counterargument he doesn't deserve to be in Smash because he is identified by his clothing.
:4sheik: already debunks that argument. She's literally Zelda in disguise yet she's her own character, yes, clothing can in fact be a reason to get in. Plus, :4pikachu:,:4jigglypuff:,:4lucario:,:4greninja:,:4charizard:, :4mewtwo:, :4kirby:and :4yoshi: all are identical to other members of their species, we better remove them from the game. I don't think whoever made that argument is really trying.

Last edited:

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
["Zero Soul, post: 19755508, member: 268806"]:4sheik: already debunks that argument. She's literally Zelda in disguise yet she's her own character, yes, clothing can in fact be a reason to get in. Plus, :4pikachu:,:4jigglypuff:,:4lucario:,:4greninja:,:4charizard:, :4mewtwo:, :4kirby:and :4yoshi: all are identical to other members of their species, we better remove them from the game. I don't think whoever made that argument is really trying.[/quote]

I didnt think it was valid I was laughing at how invalid and stupid it was

Last edited:
I'm gonna try to make this thread a bit more interesting: What is your least favorite Kirby game, and if BWD isn't already in it, would it have been better with an appearance?

My least favorite: The Original Kirby's Dream Land. (I DON'T dislike it at all, I just like all the others better)
Would it improve with BWD: Probably, it just depends.
My least favorite Kirby game was Canvas Curse. I never really like holding the stylus, my opinion.
I will give Canvas Curse credit, Drawcia had great battle themes,and wasn't a giant eyeball.
Seriously, Hal. Less giant eyeballs, and more unique designs.
If Bandana Dee was in Kirby Canvas Curse, he could have more range than the other characters, but is terrible up close.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
So, since there's really nothing else to discuss, how likely do we all think Bandana Dee is, as of right now and what problems do you foresee getting in his way? I'd really like to get a gist of the general idea of how likely we all think Bandana Dee is, pinpoint the problems, and see what we can do to possibly fix them.
King K. Rool, Wolf, Issac, and Bandana Dee all have decent chances of making it in. Everyone else is up for debate.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
My least favorite Kirby games are probably a bit shocking, it's a tie between Kirby's Adventure/Nightmare in Dreamland and Kirby Superstar. Don't get me wrong, they are both excellent games, but neither of them really "clicked" for me, and I simply prefer the other Kirby games. Yeah, I know, I have weird taste.

Personally, I think Bandana Dee's got a big chance at getting in, right behind that of K. Rool's, Isaac's, and Wolf's chances. The only real problem I see affecting his chances is that he isn't nearly as popular as the other 3, which I think getting smashified will help mitigate.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and call it now, all these obviously fake leaks circulating around like that K..Rool one and this one are the ones that actually come true, Sakurai's team was simply drunk while modelling.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
My least favorite Kirby game is, and I hate to say it, Rainbow Curse. As squee-inducing as the artstyle was, the gameplay just wasn't as good and engaging as I would expect from a Kirby game. Maybe it's because it came after Return to Dreamland and Triple Deluxe.

Last edited:
I have a question for you guys, What is your opinion on the Kirby Anime?
Did you like it or dislike it?
I personalty hated the anime, it focused too much on Fumu/Tiff,Bun/Tuff,King Dedede,and the cappies instead of Kirby.
Kirby's only role in the anime is to stop the Monster of the Week,despite being the star of the show.
If anything, Fumu/Tiff was the main character, only because Kirby had the intelligent of an average Pokemon.
The animation looks pretty off,especially Kirby, Dedede, and Escargoon/Escargon. One minute they in 2-D animation, the next they in CGI (Dynablade looked terrible in the show).
It like Sakurai and the team couldn't pick a animation style, and mixed the two art styles together.
Nightmare was really over hyped, and the second Kirby obtain the Star Rod, the fight was over.
At least in Kirby's Adventure/Nightmare in Dreamland, he put up a fight. Finally, the plot was predictable.

Last edited:
I personalty hated the anime, it focused too much on Fumu/Tiff,Bun/Tuff,King Dedede,and the cappies instead of Kirby.
Kirby's only role in the anime is to stop the Monster of the Week,despite being the star of the show.
If anything, Fumu/Tiff was the main character, only because Kirby had the intelligent of an average Pokemon.
The animation looks pretty off,especially Kirby, Dedede, and Escargoon. One minute they in 2-D animation, the next they in CGI (Dynablade looked terrible in the show).
It like Sakurai and the team couldn't pick a animation style, and mixed the two art styles together.
Nightmare was really over hyped, and the second Kirby obtain the Star Rod, the fight was over.
At least in Kirby's Adventure/Nightmare in Dreamland, he put up a fight. Finally, the plot was predictable.
I haven't watched it much, but I think it was good (Come home, Waddle Dee is the best episode).

D

Deleted member

The animation looks pretty off,especially Kirby, Dedede, and Escargoon. One minute they in 2-D animation, the next they in CGI (Dynablade looked terrible in the show).
i liked it because meta knight he was pretty bad*** as always, and some of the episodes can be sad like the one with the robo puppy.

but yeah i have always hated fumu and her snotty brother.

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
I liked the Anime.

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
I mean for a show meant to cash out on the Kirby series success it did it's job fairly well especially compared to some of the other Nintendo shows meant to cash out.

So, yeah I liked it mainly the Japanese version because I couldn't stand Tiff's voice

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It was the guilty pleasure kind of bad. It's like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night's voice acting: it's bad to the point of being entertaining. The theme song is what kept me coming back. That **** is jazzy, and I live in the home of jazz.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If anything, Fumu/Tiff was the main character, only because Kirby had the intelligent of an average Pokemon
I liked it, personally, even if Tiff did steal a lot of the spotlight. There are too many positives and funny things about it (Dedede and Meta Knight's voice, that opening theme - both English and Italian versions, and all that), so I never disliked it.

These probably aren't legitimate reasons to like something, but simply speaking, I like it for the same reason I like DKC cartoon and SMB TV series. :p

:231:

Elec

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-5666-2210
I NEED A MONSTAH TA CLOBBEH DAT DERE KIRBEH!!!!

Dedede & Escargoon literally made the show.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Dedede & Escargoon literally made the show.
Thiiiiis.
So much this.
I probably would've just watched a show with them in it, where they constantly come up with plans to destroy Kirby, Pinky and The Brain-style.

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
Just here to drop the friendly reminder that most likely only your LAST VOTE counts for the Smash Ballot so make sure you voted for Bandana Dee last

People tend to forget this.

D

Deleted member

My least favorite Kirby game is Mass Attack. I guess it's not my kind of game because I got stuck and died a lot.
My favorite has to be... hmm... Kirby Super Star Ultra, Kirby's Return to Dream Land, or Kirby Triple Deluxe. I loved the platforming in those games.

I didn't watch the anime, so I can't say a big opinion on it.
However, from what I've seen, Dedede is really the star of the show because of how hilarious and ridiculous his English voice actor is.
I don't like Tiff and Tuff. Tuff annoys me and Tiff basically hogs Kirby's spotlight, who is the main character of the show.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Just here to drop the friendly reminder that most likely only your LAST VOTE counts for the Smash Ballot so make sure you voted for Bandana Dee last

This is important, it's a possibility and I'm sure most of us voted for Bandana Dee first, so... yeah.
Vote for him again if you voted for another character after him.

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
Everytime I see that Dedede Victory Animation, I watch the Waddle Dee for like 30 seconds.
Who doesn't?

How can you know for sure though?

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Guys, are we still collecting detractions for a future article? I ask because I encountered a doozy today. It was, and I quote;

Obviously, it's not the sort of thing that warrants a response. I just wanted to share what I'm certain is the shortest detraction effort that anyone here has yet encountered. :laugh:

Also, I was reading this article, and noticed something minor but interesting;

There’s a rumor that that Sakurai used to wear a bandana while working. Itoi was disappointed that he didn’t wear it to the interview.
Could this be why Bandana Waddle Dee was designed with a bandana in the first place? :laugh:

I'm gonna try to make this thread a bit more interesting: What is your least favorite Kirby game, and if BWD isn't already in it, would it have been better with an appearance?

My least favorite: The Original Kirby's Dream Land. (I DON'T dislike it at all, I just like all the others better)
Would it improve with BWD: Probably, it just depends.
Ooh, good one!

My least-favourite: Kirby's Star Stacker for the Game Boy. It's the only Kirby game that I don't like, as I just couldn't get into it and thus never found it to be any fun.
Would it improve with BWD? No. I don't think anything could help that game. :laugh:

Even though I know that it was always expressly intended as an alternate universe, non-canon production, I never liked the anime, mainly because absolutely everyone from the game cast is ridiculously out-of-character, which had some negative consequences in the form of confusing quite a few people about the games' canon for a time. Some of that still persists today, annoyingly.

I found the mix of animation styles jarring, as well. Apparently the reasoning behind it was to attempt to create a show with a higher frame-rate than most Japanese-made TV animation of the time, but I never really felt that it worked due to how much the styles clashed, even within singular scenes.

I also didn't really like some of the characterisation choices in the English dub (although I'm certain that they weren't decided upon by the actors, who were genuinely great), but most of the problems I have with it stem from the Japanese original.

All of that said, on its own merits, I find that it is watchable. The English dub is generally hilarious, and it doesn't get enough credit for some of the jokes and puns it retains (see Escargoon/Escargon between the English and Japanese versions, for example - as I understand it, the pun in his name effectively has the same meaning in both languages).

I hope, if we see a new Kirby TV show in the future, it'll be something closer to the games - something in line with the spirit and tone of Kirby Triple Deluxe's cutscenes would be fantastic, I think.

Last edited:

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
Big Ol' favor I need from you guys, can I please PLEASE get a good paragraph (5 sentences) of propaganda I'm making something similar to this and I need propaganda-ish text
w5nLVQp.png

Thank you verrrrrrry much

Please let me know if you can do this, I'm stuck till then

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Big Ol' favor I need from you guys, can I please PLEASE get a good paragraph (5 sentences) of propaganda I'm making something similar to this and I need propaganda-ish textView attachment 64209

Do you mean for the character description part? If so, here's an attempt at that;

The loyal bodyguard of King Dedede waddles into battle! Bandana Waddle Dee uses his trusty spear to catch unwary opponents off-guard, be they on the ground or in the air. A versatile arsenal coupled with mighty smash attacks prove that he's no ordinary Waddle Dee!

Though he can't fly like King Dedede, Kirby, and Meta Knight can, Bandana Waddle Dee's enviable spear skills mean that he can easily keep his opponents grounded and on his level.

I know that this is only four sentences, but hopefully it's a good enough effort.

He does make a compelling argument. I never thought of it that way.
:laugh:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Videogame sales in Japan: http://garaph.info/softwaregroups.php

Kirby sells more than Donkey Kong, Metroid and Golden Sun combined.
Bandana Dee confirmed.

Big Ol' favor I need from you guys, can I please PLEASE get a good paragraph (5 sentences) of propaganda I'm making something similar to this and I need propaganda-ish textView attachment 64209

I'm not very good with words in English.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
While we're on the subject, what exactly are we gathering this information for if we dropped the WordPress?
Videogame sales in Japan: http://garaph.info/softwaregroups.php

Kirby sells more than Donkey Kong, Metroid and Golden Sun combined.
Bandana Dee confirmed.

I'm not very good with words in English.
Kirby as a whole has sold 35.78 million copies. Donkey Kong has sold 56.04 million.

Top Bottom