• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I've made a minor revision to my earlier promotional text effort;

The loyal bodyguard of King Dedede waddles into battle! Bandana Waddle Dee uses his trusty spear to catch unwary opponents off-guard, be they on the ground or in the air. A versatile arsenal coupled with mighty smash attacks prove that he's no ordinary Waddle Dee!

Though he can't fly like King Dedede, Kirby, and Meta Knight can, Bandana Waddle Dee's enviable spear skills mean that he can easily keep his opponents grounded and on his level, whether they want to be or not!

I like the closing of this version more - it feels like a more definite statement of BWD's abilities.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Bandana Dee is pretty neat.
We know, Jiggly... we know.
I've made a minor revision to my earlier promotional text effort;

The loyal bodyguard of King Dedede waddles into battle! Bandana Waddle Dee uses his trusty spear to catch unwary opponents off-guard, be they on the ground or in the air. A versatile arsenal coupled with mighty smash attacks prove that he's no ordinary Waddle Dee!

Though he can't fly like King Dedede, Kirby, and Meta Knight can, Bandana Waddle Dee's enviable spear skills mean that he can easily keep his opponents grounded and on his level, whether they want to be or not!

I like the closing of this version more - it feels like a more definite statement of BWD's abilities.
@ GhostlyLure GhostlyLure

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Caught me just in time meng
Ready

Set

GO!
View attachment 64292
It looks beautiful.
It even has a Nruff!
Just two little things, do you really can make Special Moves with the C Stick?
And... isn't the Down Special a liiittle generic?, I mean, yeah, generic specials exist (Jigglypuff, DK, Little Mac, etc), but I don't know, Bandana Dee has potential for more.
Maybe he can transform in a little ball and attack with a bounce (a reference to the Waddle Dee ball and Canvas Curse/Rainbow Curse in general).
Or (speaking of generic XDD) a Counter, but a very unique looking Counter, BD would pretend to be a weak normal Waddle Dee, basically doing his animation from the Revenge of the King when he was unarmed, and if you hit him he quickly stabs you with his spear.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Looks great! :smash:

It looks like there was a problem pasting in the text describing him, though - the last line appears twice, and is pasted into the middle of itself. That's the only issue, though, as far as I can see.

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
It looks beautiful.
It even has a Nruff!
Just two little things, do you really can make Special Moves with the C Stick?
And... isn't the Down Special a liiittle generic?, I mean, yeah, generic specials exist (Jigglypuff, DK, Little Mac, etc), but I don't know, Bandana Dee has potential for more.
I really couldn't really think of a Neutral B (Which I think you are talking about) and WOOPS I'll fix that right now.

It looks like there was a problem pasting in the text describing him, though - the last line appears twice, and is pasted into the middle of itself. That's the only issue, though, as far as I can see.
What?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
What I wanted to do is the cute little Waddle Dee jump from Kirby's Epic Yarn but I couldn't think of a way to animate it.

But the Waddle Dee ball sounds really cool..I'll do that right now!
Cool! :D

I don't see problems with the grammar.

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
Propaganda3.png
BAM!

@ Shadow Keebey Shadow Keebey WELCOME! First of all

I imagine the Nruffattack as a way faster Bowser Jr. Side B because you charge up the Nruff by feeding it, then you press down+b again and the Nruff rushes.

I also imagine Spear throw as it is in KRTDL where you can't turn around, so I felt the Side instead of the Neutral made sense

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
View attachment 64299
BAM!

@ Shadow Keebey Shadow Keebey WELCOME! First of all

I imagine the Nruffattack as a way faster Bowser Jr. Side B because you charge up the Nruff by feeding it, then you press down+b again and the Nruff rushes.
An idea for Megaton Punch that I think could work. Make the Final Smash work similarly to the minigame from Kirby Super Star. Like for example, if uncharged, it deals 25-30% with low/moderate knockback. If charged however, it does 40-45% and has major knockback (not Critical Hit-like knockback but still a lot).

D

Deleted member

Wouldn't it make a bit more sense to have Neutral B as Spear Throw and Side B as Nruff Rider since most projectiles are Neutral B and the Nruff Rider seems somewhat similar to the Lloid from Villager (unless I am missing something).
welcome, you are now one of us, not a normal first post but that makes you unique i guess, welcome.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I think Spear Throw should be Neutral Special, Kirby usually copies the most iconic move (that isn't a recovery) and most of the time it's a chargeable projectile/attack. It makes the most sense, even when in RtD you need to run to do it.
Nruff should be Side Special, like's Wario's Bike and Bounce should be Down Special because BD bounces in the ground, I don't know.
Wouldn't it make a bit more sense to have Neutral B as Spear Throw and Side B as Nruff Rider since most projectiles are Neutral B and the Nruff Rider seems somewhat similar to the Lloid from Villager (unless I am missing something).
Welcome!

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
The welcoming party here is pretty good. Hi everyone. I see most people here are fans of the Kirby series (pretty obvious by the title of the thread) and have had at least one Kirby series main.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Hmm, now that I think about it, two tackle attacks would be weird... or not?
What do you think?
Nruff can work like Little Mac's Neutral Special (but not crappy, please) and Dee Bounce as his Side Special (A quick attack with some invicibility), I still like the Counter (Fake Tears or ... or something like that).

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
The welcoming party here is pretty good. Hi everyone. I see most people here are fans of the Kirby series (pretty obvious by the title of the thread) and have had at least one Kirby series main.
Except me. I've never mained a Kirby character. Anyway, welcome to the Brigade and may the Dee be with you.
While we're talking about movesets, I imagine that Spear Throw would be neutral, the signature Waddle Dee hop/faceplant would be side, the Megaton Punch (obviously on a smaller scale) would be down, and Spear Copter would be up. That was from my previous moveset. I wonder if I could find it.

D

Deleted member

i just had a thought if there are two slots left would one be for japan and one for other countrys? if so bandana dee would have too be the most voted in one of those for him to be playable? Im so nervous!

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
i just had a thought if there are two slots left would one be for japan and one for other countrys? if so bandana dee would have too be the most voted in one of those for him to be playable? Im so nervous!
Don't worry, we can do it!
August will probably answer some of our doubts about the pre-ballot characters/those two slots.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
The people who support Bandana Dee in smash can be considered part of the (*snickers*) Waddle Dee Army (that pun has probably been made before).

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
I think Spear Throw should be Neutral Special, Kirby usually copies the most iconic move (that isn't a recovery) and most of the time it's a chargeable projectile/attack. It makes the most sense, even when in RtD you need to run to do it.
Nruff should be Side Special, like's Wario's Bike and Bounce should be Down Special because BD bounces in the ground, I don't know.

Welcome!
I think it would be a good idea to have Waddle Ball as a Neutral Special as it would even help Kirby reference Canvas Curse.

I think having to charge up the Nruff would make it much MUCH more unique rather than just flinging yourself

What I imagine is for Waddle Ball you have the "circling" effect from Canvas Curse if your opponent gets hit by it they mainly get knocked back to a further degree compared to something like Kirby's side smash (which has a lot of Knockback)

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
@ GhostlyLure GhostlyLure couple of things, is there ANY evidence that only the last vote counts? they never say that, that would be misleading, if someone had a main vote and they vote to help out a friend it wouldn't be fair to the voter since they never knew about it. about the moveset... its ok, the ball/spear swing is horrible though, im iffy about nruff, hes never ridden one but it seems to be extremely popular here

from what I can see most people want b- Spear Throw (without losing a spear, thats a horrendous idea, it would be hard to program and dee might get scrapped) side b- nruff I guess? or parasol spin up b- spear copter 100% fs- megaton punch, would rep superstar which sakurai loves referencing, and other fs seem pretty bland imo, so now most people are figuring out down b, some ideas bomb? like the dees from mass attack? helper is my pick would also rep superstar, one of my ideas is placing falling star and bomb blocks that would fall on opponents, a meteor smash, sometimes it would be a bomb block which explodes on contact, there would be a block limit though, and blocks would disappear after awhile if left alone, parasols can reflect objects and does damage on contact, the last one is assist stars, here's my special movset,

:GCB: Spear Throw- a spear throw self explanatory
:GCB::GCU: Spear Copter- lets him fly
:GCB::GCR: Nruff- rams opponents, can turn and jump
:GCB::GCD:what do people want for a down b? he could summon? he could summon blocks? he could summon food? he could use a parasol? bombs? rope? it's yours my friend as long as you have enough rupees (sorry)

also I can see why people want him smashified but I want to prioritize smash

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
The people who support Bandana Dee in smash can be considered part of the (*snickers*) Waddle Dee Army (that pun has probably been made before).
Supporters are officially referred to as "Brigadeers." It's also a pun. I have to say, I really do like that name. Props to whoever came up with that.
Special Moves
Neutral special - Spear Throw - With a press of the B Button, Bandanna Dee will toss his spear a short distance forward. This does 3% and does low knockback. By holding down the B button, Dee will increase his angle, and the spear's power. At full charge, the spear goes more than halfway across FD and does 11%. Bandanna Dee can also move and jump while adjusting his angle. Dee will immediately regenerate a new spear after throwing his old one.
Side Special - Waddle Hop - After a short pause, Bandanna will hop a short distance in the air and land on his face. If Dee jumps into an opponent, they will receive a measly 4%, but unusually high knockback. If he lands on an opponent, they will receive 6% and be semi-spiked, though this isn't nearly as powerful. You can do this in the air, though obviously Bandanna Dee won't fall.
Down Special - Megaton Punch - When used, Bandanna Dee's fist, well, stub will begin to glow blue. He can charge this for about a second, at which point it will be fully charged. Pressing down and B again will result in him slamming his fist into the ground, rocking the world of any nearby unfortunate opponent. This can only be used at full charge, and the result is a massive shockwave that deals 16% and immense knockback. The downside to this move is that it has a larger amount of startup lag and more ending lag. When used in the air, Bandanna Dee will plummet straight down (powerfully meteor smashing anybody who touches him) until he hits the ground, at which point the move will continue as normal.
Up special - Spear Copter - Bandanna Dee twirls his spear rapidly above his head like the blade of a helicopter, chopping up anybody above him or blowing them away. Touching Dee's spear while spinning will result in that fighter being repeatedly hit, each hit doing 1% in slash damage. Being above, but not touching, Dee will result in the fighter being blown upwards, similar to Game & Watch's up air. This move carries Dee an incredible distance in whatever direction he wants and covers any aerial attack, but Bandanna Dee is completely vulnerable to attack from the sides.
That's my idea for special moves from my previous moveset, if anyone's interested.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
@ GhostlyLure GhostlyLure couple of things, is there ANY evidence that only the last vote counts? they never say that, that would be misleading, if someone had a main vote and they vote to help out a friend it wouldn't be fair to the voter since they never knew about it. about the moveset... its ok, the ball/spear swing is horrible though, im iffy about nruff, hes never ridden one but it seems to be extremely popular here

from what I can see most people want b- Spear Throw (without losing a spear, thats a horrendous idea, it would be hard to program and dee might get scrapped) side b- nruff I guess? or parasol spin up b- spear copter 100% fs- megaton punch, would rep superstar which sakurai loves referencing, and other fs seem pretty bland imo, so now most people are figuring out down b, some ideas bomb? like the dees from mass attack? helper is my pick would also rep superstar, one of my ideas is placing falling star and bomb blocks that would fall on opponents, a meteor smash, sometimes it would be a bomb block which explodes on contact, there would be a block limit though, and blocks would disappear after awhile if left alone, parasols can reflect objects and does damage on contact, the last one is assist stars, here's my special movset,

:GCB::GCD:what do people want for a down b? he could summon? he could summon blocks? he could summon food? he could use a parasol? bombs? rope? it's yours my friend as long as you have enough rupees (sorry)

So... you are iffy about Nruff because he never used one, but you think bombs and parasols would be a good idea?
I don't know if Nruff is popular, I'm like the only one who wants it XD

I will search all the type of Waddle Dees for some ideas, I also don't really want the "obvious" parasol reflector.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
I was going to answer the poll at the top of the page. I clicked yes and right before I finalized the vote my screen readjusted and I accidentally clicked no and confirmed the vote. I wish I could change my vote. :sadeyes:

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi

First...FIRST off all..

It would make the most sense that's why I said MOST LIKELY it would make more sense to pull the latest results from the Ballot rather than going back to see peoples first vote.

Bombs...really Bombs.. I don't recall Bandana Dee using a bomb plus the bouncing ball idea is something that would be unique inside of a unique character...

Once again the Smashified after Smash is complete and udder nonsense.

As for Spear throw I think it would be better if you held down the direction you would be forced to throw..

:GCR: :GCB: Makes more sense rather than

:GCB: The moveset would be less organized but if the Nruff should be unique it should be fast and have a charge up time

Speaking of which I made a design for.

Untitled5.gif

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Bandana Dee was fishing in Rainbow Curse, he could use a fish like Diddy's bananas, and he would be top tier! okno.

I was going to answer the poll at the top of the page. I clicked yes and right before I finalized the vote my screen readjusted and I accidentally clicked no and confirmed the vote. I wish I could change my vote. :sadeyes:
Oh, don't worry.

First...FIRST off all..

It would make the most sense that's why I said MOST LIKELY it would make more sense to pull the latest results from the Ballot rather than going back to see peoples first vote.

Bombs...really Bombs.. I don't recall Bandana Dee using a bomb plus the bouncing ball idea is something that would be unique inside of a unique character...

Once again the Smashified after Smash is complete and udder nonsense.

As for Spear throw I think it would be better if you held down the direction you would be forced to throw..

:GCR: :GCB: Makes more sense rather than

:GCB: The moveset would be less organized but if the Nruff should be unique it should be fast and have a charge up time

Speaking of which I made a design for.

View attachment 64326
It looks cool.
You know what? Bounce, Parasol, Counter, whatever, it's Bandana Dee so I will still like it.
Use the moveset and the organization you like the most.

Furret24

Smash Master
I'm still all for Bandana Dee mostly a spear and a parasol, with a few exceptions (Megaton Punch, maybe a hammer). No need for anything crazy like bombs and nruffs (no offense if you want him to use a nruff). He doesn't seem fit to be a complicated character such Robin and Shulk. After all, the other Kirby characters are fairly simple characters.

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
Bandana Dee was fishing in Rainbow Curse, he could use a fish like Diddy's bananas, and he would be top tier! okno.

Oh, don't worry.

It looks cool.
You know what? Bounce, Parasol, Counter, whatever, it's Bandana Dee so I will still like it.
Use the moveset and the organization you like the most.
Thank you for the answer and for posting because I got a gif of what Waddle Ball could look like
Untitled7.gif

I feel that's what would make him unique compared to every other Kirby character he can be "complex!"

Ok now I need a favor I'm going to remake that cards moveset but I need a universally decided poll

Choose which one you want.

Neutral B: Waddle Ball, (Make your option)

Up + B: Spear Copter or Some-sort of Parasol thing

Side + B: NruffAttack, Parasol, Spear Throw

Down + B: Counter, NruffAttack, Megaton Punch

Final Smash: YOU DECIDE

Last edited:

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
@ Chandeelure Chandeelure

I was thinking a bit about your avatar earlier today, and I came to the conclusion that since the first Smash has the whole concept of characters being toys and whatnot, and Master Hand being the host's hand, does the picture imply that they got hurt while playing with Bandana Dee's toy? I was thinking maybe he cut his hand on the tip of his spear or something? I'm probably looking too much into it, though.

That being said, if this hasn't been asked already: What sort of pose do you expect or want Bandana Dee's artwork to be in?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Thank you for the answer and for posting because I got a gif of what Waddle Ball could look likeView attachment 64333

I feel that's what would make him unique compared to every other Kirby character he can be complex!
Yeah, he can be "complex".
Also, just in case:

@ Chandeelure Chandeelure

I was thinking a bit about your avatar earlier today, and I came to the conclusion that since the first Smash has the whole concept of characters being toys and whatnot, and Master Hand being the host's hand, does the picture imply that they got hurt while playing with Bandana Dee's toy? I was thinking maybe he cut his hand on the tip of his spear or something? I'm probably looking too much into it, though.

That being said, if this hasn't been asked already: What sort of pose do you expect or want Bandana Dee's artwork to be in?
Hmmm that's really hard to guess, but I personally think a battle pose would be cool... like the one in my avatar XD
Or maybe he could imitate King Dedede's pose, that would be... cute.

Flying_Skitty

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1091-8635-3184
Thank you for the answer and for posting because I got a gif of what Waddle Ball could look likeView attachment 64333

I feel that's what would make him unique compared to every other Kirby character he can be "complex!"

Ok now I need a favor I'm going to remake that cards moveset but I need a universally decided poll

Choose which one you want.

Neutral B: Waddle Ball, (Make your option)

Up + B: Spear Copter or Some-sort of Parasol thing

Side + B: NruffAttack, Parasol, Spear Throw

Down + B: Counter, NruffAttack, Megaton Punch

Final Smash: YOU DECIDE
I'd choose Neutral B to be the team orb from Rtdl, side B would be Spear toss (so it can be used to recove/move vertically in air), up B would be Spear copter, down B would be a Parasol dive but can bounce off of enemies, and tge final smash would be the Waddle Train from Triple Dexule.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Is it strange that the other night I had a dream that Bandana Dee was in Smash 4 and the only thing I remember was that his final smash was a giant Waddle Dee that had the same effect as the Skull Kid assist trophy?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I just thought of an idea for the Megaton Punch. What if the same meter from the minigame appeared when he pressed the move and it became stronger the closer you got to the top and weaker if you got to the bottom so it requires timing to reach its maximum effect. There could maybe even be a benefit to hitting it perfectly.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
I just thought of an idea for the Megaton Punch. What if the same meter from the minigame appeared when he pressed the move and it became stronger the closer you got to the top and weaker if you got to the bottom so it requires timing to reach its maximum effect. There could maybe even be a benefit to hitting it perfectly.
What if it was a 1-hit Ko if you landed everything perfectly?

Top Bottom