• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well basically to put it simply, the bomb dropped again. Supposedly our Japanese pals datamined the Lucas patch, and discovered victory videos for Roy and Ryu... I'll leave a link to it in spoilers in case you missed it...

Other than that what else are you referring too? I did hear more mii outfits were leaked too, like a Zero outfit
Yeah, I heard about THAT. I just thought you all were saying that there was even MORE data for DLC characters after Ryu and Roy.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
In terms of the ballot, I would worry about the newcomers rather than veterans.
Veterans are veterans; they will be requested. Even then, other than Wolf, I don't think anyone else is totally necessary or worth it to bring back.
The newcomers will limit Bandana Dee's potential to get in, so I would worry about them than the veterans.
I have to say that it's scary how they completed Roy and Ryu so soon...
For the last time this stuff is just PRE-Ballot.... I don't know why everyone has this idea that there are unique slots that characters magically fill up that can prevent another fighter from getting in... Why in gods name would Nintendo start a fighter ballot for DLC just to ignore it and go commando with it? That just doesn't make sense, and would be foolish. This stuff is nothing more than pre-ballot stuff that will have NO effect on the results of the ballot, that was planned from the start.

All it really does is take some characters out of the picture. The more veterans that get back now, the less we have to worry about post-ballot. Plain and simple. We do not know how things are going to go after October. We just need to stop thinking about these pre-planned fighters that are more or less being generated to hold fans off until post-ballot (and lets face it... Four months would have been a long wait without new dlc content.)

Nintendo when you think about it said NOTHING about DLC coming to a halt while the ballot was going.

Lets just forget about it, accept the appetizers Sakurai throws at us for now, and wait for the main course.

Yeah, I heard about THAT. I just thought you all were saying that there was even MORE data for DLC characters after Ryu and Roy.
To be honest I hardly have any clue what all is going on. Everything is just pouring in SO fast XD

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Wait a second....

...Am I the only one seeing Roy character art on top of the site in the background? (Between Falcon and Little Mac?..)

....Well then XD

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
They updated it! Damn
... :4feroy: :4ryu: ...HOT DANG THEY ARE PROMPT XD

Anyways, going back on topic a bit... what all is everyone expecting to see at the presentation now? Do you think we'll get that Roy/Ryu confirmation everyone is dieing for? I certainly hope so so this dang crazy tornado will stop

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Okay, okay. I think we need to take it back a notch on the DLC leak talk. The fact that we've seen what we've seen confirms that Bandana Dee doesn't have anything to do with it. The discussion should keep to Kirby and Bandana Waddle Dee, folks.

Here's a philosophical question: How would you be able to explain what makes Bandana Waddle Dee unique if "He'd be the only spear user" was an illegal means for arguing for BWD's uniqueness? I want to see how much you guys' appreciation for BWD goes beyond face value. :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Okay, okay. I think we need to take it back a notch on the DLC leak talk. The fact that we've seen what we've seen confirms that Bandana Dee doesn't have anything to do with it. The discussion should keep to Kirby and Bandana Waddle Dee, folks.

Here's a philosophical question: How would you be able to explain what makes Bandana Waddle Dee unique if "He'd be the only spear user" was an illegal means for arguing for BWD's uniqueness? I want to see how much you guys' appreciation for BWD goes beyond face value. :p
Even if we had other spear wielders,the Spear ability would certainly not copy all of it, and we also have stuff like Megaton Punch. Outside of the moveset, BDee is more recent than frigging Meta Knight, he's proving to be popular with fans

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Even if we had other spear wielders,the Spear ability would certainly not copy all of it, and we also have stuff like Megaton Punch. Outside of the moveset, BDee is more recent than frigging Meta Knight, he's proving to be popular with fans
I suppose the better way of asking it is "If you were describing what makes Smash Bros. characters unique to a blind person, how would you describe Bandana Waddle Dee?", because "He wouldn't be like other spear-users" doesn't quite sell it for me.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
guys I really hope Mr. Sakurai has some tricks up his sleeves I hope roy or ryu DONT show up at the E3 event but someone new. I really REALLY hope

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Are you looking for what makes the character himself unique, or his moveset unique? I tried, but I'm not sure I've got what your looking for?

While nearly every other smash character is basically handed out super powers (bar Lil' Mac and a few others), Bandana Dee worked his way up from being literal fodder to being able to fight on par with someone as strong as Kirby. The guy is fragile, but he'd be able to dish out a lot of damage because of his hard work and deetermination (huehuehue). Bandana Dee also would be unique in a way no other can be, he'd have multiple jumps but cannot fly. This is actually a big thing, since he'd likely not be floaty while having obscene aerial momentum and mobility. Not only that, but he is Dedede's royal guard. Why is that a big deal? Because, unlike many others, Bandana Dee himself is not the "star", he fights hard to ensure his friends can get done what they must get done. This obscene loyalty could be represented by having a doubles-centric moveset,like having him toss healing items like tomatoes for his friends/allies.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
One thing thats funny to me is that Nintendo didn't even try to take down the leaked vids they were just like...psh.

Best new song is:

SAKURAI PUT MODERN KIRBY THEME IN THE GAME!?

Oh yeah saw the news...

I not hype but. pretty sure I not really sure because here the story.

There leaked all back then. Did not believe them.
Saw this video that look like 100% and the design are perfect fit for Smash 4.
Ryu is the most crossover videogame characters that travels the world and Going dimension to fight.
I really digging Roy new design, Is the New Roy by the way.

All I can say is....

I not even that hype... Feel amazing first then *poof* hype gone.
I still want Isaac from Golden Sun and Waddle Dee.

Even Lucas was more hype (Mewtwo is definition of HYPE). And the music addition and costume look more hype for me than the characters. EVEN THE STAGE.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I can't believe dreamland 64 is back though, such an odd choice.
I know that I've been saying this since I got here, but considering all of the Kirby 64 references that HAL have been making lately, and the likelihood of a Kirby 64 3D (since Triple Deluxe sets things up for some asset re-use), it doesn't seem odd to me that this is the stage that would get in. The original Smash was a contemporary of Kirby 64, after all...

You can see what I'm thinking, considering how close to E3 this will be made available. ;)

Wait a second....

...Am I the only one seeing Roy character art on top of the site in the background? (Between Falcon and Little Mac?..)

....Well then XD
Roy art's been there for ages, but it's been replaced with an up-to-date image. Cool! Well-spotted. :b:

I saw dis in the back of Dreamland 64
Ooh, they retained this? That's interesting. I wonder what happens when Dedede is on-stage?

Last edited:

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi

It's best that you pretend you didn't see anything.
Luuk at his eyes...both of them..
SAKURAI PUT MODERN KIRBY THEME IN THE GAME!?

Oh yeah saw the news...

I not hype but. pretty sure I not really sure because here the story.

There leaked all back then. Did not believe them.
Saw this video that look like 100% and the design are perfect fit for Smash 4.
Ryu is the most crossover videogame characters that travels the world and Going dimension to fight.
I really digging Roy new design, Is the New Roy by the way.

All I can say is....

I not even that hype... Feel amazing first then *poof* hype gone.
I still want Isaac from Golden Sun and Waddle Dee.

Even Lucas was more hype (Mewtwo is definition of HYPE). And the music addition and costume look more hype for me than the characters. EVEN THE STAGE.
Ice Cream Island is from Kirby's Adventure.

He did put Sectonia Vs. Hypernova doe.

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Luuk at his eyes...both of them..

Ice Cream Island is from Kirby's Adventure.

He did put Sectonia Vs. Hypernova doe.
I went to youtube to see all the new music.

Found it. Has different tittle but man.

Finally a FREAGING MODERN KIRBY MUSIC THAT IS FROM A FINAL BOSS! YES YES YES YES YES!!

Thank you Sakurai.

The music and stage are MORE HYPE than the characters. WAY HYPE YES.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
They work REALLY fast here, Roy and Ryu now have threads...
Anyways, all I'll say about the two is:

Ryu: Why you gotta rain on Megaman's parade Ryu. Not upset about his inclusion, but Megaman can never have anything of his own with this guy around, can he :laugh:.
Roy: Disappointed. If Project M told me anything, it was that you have a chance to be unique, and not a Marth clone, and fire doesn't make you unique.

Wait, Roy's moves have fire, and he comes from the series of...

Anyways, with these two in now, I've lost a bit of hope in wanting back the unique veterans (Ice Climbers and Snake) and Bandana Dee. I'll still be rooting for getting both till the end though. I truly believe that we'll get more DLC than people think. Either way, I'd be completely OK with getting King K. Rool from the ballot, of course I still want a Bandana donning Waddle Dee...

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I'm still insistent that all this stuff is pre-planned and has NOTHING to do with the ballot/post-ballot, but hey. We'll see how things go in the future. Lets just focus on the campaigns for now.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
@ Manic Rykker Manic Rykker - You're not the only one who sees that, don't worry. ;)

As far as I'm concerned, this is just more content for me to enjoy (I won't ever play as those characters, but I'll certainly be buying them for that reason). And, as others have also been pointing out, this gets some popular characters "out of the way", which "frees up" the ballot for others.

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
@ Manic Rykker Manic Rykker - You're not the only one who sees that, don't worry. ;)

As far as I'm concerned, this is just more content for me to enjoy (I won't ever play as those characters, but I'll certainly be buying them for that reason). And, as others have also been pointing out, this gets some popular characters "out of the way", which "frees up" the ballot for others.
I'm still insistent that all this stuff is pre-planned and has NOTHING to do with the ballot/post-ballot, but hey. We'll see how things go in the future. Lets just focus on the campaigns for now.
That's how I started looking at it..it's all pre-planned.

D

Deleted member

Everybody who says Roy is a full on Marth clone clearly don't know about his hitbox differences or the few changed moves that were shown on stream like Fsmash.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Besides. If people really hate those characters that much... you can always buy them to beat the crap out of em in the game itself XD

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Everybody who says Roy is a full on Marth clone clearly don't know about his hitbox differences or the few changed moves that were shown on stream like Fsmash.
Most players won't go "Oh, he has a slightly different hitbox. He's totally not a clone."

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I just had the evilest idea, you know what we can do to ensure Bandana Dee gets in? We morally corrupt Sakurai by making him love the modern Kirby games.

We know how strong his bias influences him look, Fire Emblem has 5 reps and Kid Icarus has 3. If we can corrupt him to the point where's biased for us, then we'd have absolutely no trouble getting what we want. Muahahahahaha! Revel in fear other fanbases! We'd get everything we'd ever want, and you'd never get what you'd want because Sakurai is too busy making us yet another Landia clone!

This is satire, please don't actually try to corrupt him, we aren't part of the Dark Matter race..... Yet.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I might buy Roy but I'm not buying Ryu so far this game really hasn't produced any characters I want to buy :T
Well this is pre-ballot. I have high doubts they'll drop any HIGH FAN FAVORITE options in until after the ballot. For now, expect Veterans coming back from the grave, and crazy surprises XD

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Most players won't go "Oh, he has a slightly different hitbox. He's totally not a clone."
Go play Roy like you'd play Marth in Melee. You'll get the noodle hitbox every time as Roy, and Marth will get a tipper. To get Roy's sweetspots, you have to play up close rather than trying to zone the opponent out. There is a completely fundamental difference between the two that I'm baffled people consider them to be clones. Besides that Roy's Dair and Fsmash alongside a few other moves were changed, and he kept the Melee shield breaker that Marth lost in Brawl. The "most players" you're talking about don't consider the playstyles of the characters and just say "yup, that move looks the same, so the characters are the same". If they were the same, then wouldn't Roy be a top tier in Melee like Marth was? Anyway, I'm done with derailing the thread and if you think that Roy is a clone, continue to think that until you actually put time into playing Marth and Roy.

Anyway, Bandana Dee is looking pretty like a solid bet for a Smash Ballot candidate. With Roy being taken out of the equation, Wolf potentially being planned DLC to finish bringing back the veterans anybody cares about, and a Kirby stage being added (with Triple Deluxe music), it seems like BDee has a shot at getting enough votes in the Ballot to be considered as DLC. Of course, Dreamland 64 is probably just a fan favorite stage being returned y u no Pokéfloats, but you never know with Sakurai.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I just had the evilest idea, you know what we can do to ensure Bandana Dee gets in? We morally corrupt Sakurai by making him love the modern Kirby games.

We know how strong his bias influences him look, Fire Emblem has 5 reps and Kid Icarus has 3. If we can corrupt him to the point where's biased for us, then we'd have absolutely no trouble getting what we want. Muahahahahaha! Revel in fear other fanbases! We'd get everything we'd ever want, and you'd never get what you'd want because Sakurai is too busy making us yet another Landia clone!

This is satire, please don't actually try to corrupt him, we aren't part of the Dark Matter race..... Yet.
Note: This video is just a joke, it in no way reflects how I feel about Zero Soul's plan.

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
BTW You guys need to stay on top of the pages
Bandanna Ballot wordpress is behind.

Not that you guys haven't been doing great already just thought I would let you know since I'm just now writing my script for my video that needs to be uploaded tommorow

Top Bottom