• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Hey @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima

For RtDL mod ideas, you should really consider and note the gameplay and design in the power challenge rooms. Some of that challenging, power mastering, and scoring should be melded into the main gameplay. A lot of those rooms really utlized and demanded use of the powers. It'd be nice to see some of it in the main game. However It'd also be cool to keep the freestyle action utilization of the powers, too. Maybe have level design that requires mastery of the various powers with action breaks that allow for free enemy smashing kind of like the Smash Bros Power room in Dream Collection had.

That's would be so awesome.
Hm... alright. I'll get the Challenge Room data and replace it with another level so I can explore around it without having the time limit or other Challenge Room specialties. However, I don't have my Dream Collection copy with me right now. If anybody could find me videos of the Challenge Room stages in Dream Collection, I'd be grateful.

Also, as a general test, I'll start taking out chunks of the rooms to use for certain puzzles and stuff. Challenge Room-esque designs could be cool while hunting down Energy Spheres or during those dimensional purple wall of doom colorless evil Waddle Dee raided room things. I'd love to implement them in regular levels, too.

Right now, I'm thinking of remastering Kirby's Adventure. The same general level design with alterations going around to adapt to the new additions throughout the Kirby series.

EDIT:

Wow.

I wonder why these amazing things weren't featured in Return to Dream Land.

Last edited:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
During the speculation period of Smash 4, I never really saw the interest in this guy, I guess I just didn't know how he would work and personally thought that the space would be better filled with Prince Fluff. Now that I've seen all of the moveset possibilities he has, I would like to see him in. I do think Kirby should get a 4th newcomer, regardless if it's a fan favorite like Bandana Dee, or my personal choice and the much less likely Prince Fluff. The series kinda deserves it, being one of the original series in Smash 64 and a Nintendo classic, plus, we desperately need some newer Kirby representation. Even if it's not as dire as DK or Metroid's situations...

TL;DR: Count this former detractor in as a supporter of the Dee.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Hm... alright. I'll get the Challenge Room data and replace it with another level so I can explore around it without having the time limit or other Challenge Room specialties. However, I don't have my Dream Collection copy with me right now. If anybody could find me videos of the Challenge Room stages in Dream Collection, I'd be grateful.

Also, as a general test, I'll start taking out chunks of the rooms to use for certain puzzles and stuff. Challenge Room-esque designs could be cool while hunting down Energy Spheres or during those dimensional purple wall of doom colorless evil Waddle Dee raided room things. I'd love to implement them in regular levels, too.

Right now, I'm thinking of remastering Kirby's Adventure. The same general level design with alterations going around to adapt to the new additions throughout the Kirby series.

EDIT:

Wow.

I did all these leves in platinum too!!!

kirby_queen

Smash Lord

EDIT:

Wow.

AAAAA I love these kinds of Kirby videos! Speed runs and challenges! They are so amazing. They remind of the depth and fun that Kirby games have and why I love them and their design so much.

It always amazes me when I hear criticism about Kirby platformers not being up to par with a Mario or DK games and I'm just baffled. I mean, Kirby has to be the most misunderstood Nintendo franchise because omg... people truly don't understand when a game is made for a particular audience or goal. Gamers are truly so unaware that not all games are for the same skillset. Maybe it is because gaming doesn't have the clear categories or differences that are more obvious in other media. I dunno. However Kirby games are truly made differently and I find them to be of the most unique platformers, honestly. Precision based platformers like the other titles are a dime a dozen. Especially now a days in the advent of fantastic indie and trendy retro platformers. However few franchises in Kiby's lifetime has masterfully catered to and still been as inclusive to all skillsets (especially beiginners) as Kirby has. Because his games rely less on strict precision and instead often on what he can DO, there's more of an action element to his games that make them stand out. A mastery, experimenting, and freestyle fun that comes from this unique openness with it's design. It's great for beginners but it's also the sort of brilliant design that includes people who love the concept and design to further engage and challenge themselves with speed runs, learning move techs, completionism, boss/enemy runs, and even just freestyle power play (where they may just want to challenge themselves by using certain moves only in certain situations). Kirby is simple and yet hides such depth... It's subtle but it's there in the design. It doesn't force you to beat your best time or just use a certain power BUT you can and in doing so you can get a variety of new experiences within the same gameplay. It reminds me of how switching weapons in Monster Hunter can really change your experience as well. I'm also reminded of the quote

"Hattori: “Maybe there is a bias against the Kirby IP as a whole with people thinking they are games just for young children. Although we’ve made the games so that even a novice can play them, they aren’t just something that only novices can enjoy.

“We designed the games to have a high degree of freedom so that even core action game fans could play it again and again and still enjoy it. We’ve had core Kirby fans in Japan for a long while, and they have followed the various different play styles we adopted, but there are still going to be people selecting Kirby as their first action game." - http://wiiudaily.com/2014/05/hal-laboratory-3d-kirby-game/

Looking at these awesome challenge room levels, I'm also reminded just how talented HAL are as developers. Kirby platformers aren't sub par platformers. They are PURPOSELY designed this way for their target audience and for the core audience. It's the sort of clever and unique platforming that is often misunderstood. Seeing these challenge levels, seeing their experimental entries like Canvas Curse or Mass Attack, and remembering that this is the company that helped create the biggest Nintendo franchise of our time, Smash Brothers. They KNOW game design, they know platformers, and they know how to make great, if not always appreciated, games. Kirby games are GREAT. I truly believe they are and love them.

Anyway, here are some more fun videos

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
AAAAA I love these kinds of Kirby videos! Speed runs and challenges! They are so amazing. They remind of the depth and fun that Kirby games have and why I love them and their design so much.

It always amazes me when I hear criticism about Kirby platformers not being up to par with a Mario or DK games and I'm just baffled. I mean, Kirby has to be the most misunderstood Nintendo franchise because omg... people truly don't understand when a game is made for a particular audience or goal. Gamers are truly so unaware that not all games are for the same skillset. Maybe it is because gaming doesn't have the clear categories or differences that are more obvious in other media. I dunno. However Kirby games are truly made differently and I find them to be of the most unique platformers, honestly. Precision based platformers like the other titles are a dime a dozen. Especially now a days in the advent of fantastic indie and trendy retro platformers. However few franchises in Kiby's lifetime has masterfully catered to and still been as inclusive to all skillsets (especially beiginners) as Kirby has. Because his games rely less on strict precision and instead often on what he can DO, there's more of an action element to his games that make them stand out. A mastery, experimenting, and freestyle fun that comes from this unique openness with it's design. It's great for beginners but it's also the sort of brilliant design that includes people who love the concept and design to further engage and challenge themselves with speed runs, learning move techs, completionism, boss/enemy runs, and even just freestyle power play (where they may just want to challenge themselves by using certain moves only in certain situations). Kirby is simple and yet hides such depth... It's subtle but it's there in the design. It doesn't force you to beat your best time or just use a certain power BUT you can and in doing so you can get a variety of new experiences within the same gameplay. It reminds me of how switching weapons in Monster Hunter can really change your experience as well. I'm also reminded of the quote

"Hattori: “Maybe there is a bias against the Kirby IP as a whole with people thinking they are games just for young children. Although we’ve made the games so that even a novice can play them, they aren’t just something that only novices can enjoy.

“We designed the games to have a high degree of freedom so that even core action game fans could play it again and again and still enjoy it. We’ve had core Kirby fans in Japan for a long while, and they have followed the various different play styles we adopted, but there are still going to be people selecting Kirby as their first action game." - http://wiiudaily.com/2014/05/hal-laboratory-3d-kirby-game/

Looking at these awesome challenge room levels, I'm also reminded just how talented HAL are as developers. Kirby platformers aren't sub par platformers. They are PURPOSELY designed this way for their target audience and for the core audience. It's the sort of clever and unique platforming that is often misunderstood. Seeing these challenge levels, seeing their experimental entries like Canvas Curse or Mass Attack, and remembering that this is the company that helped create the biggest Nintendo franchise of our time, Smash Brothers. They KNOW game design, they know platformers, and they know how to make great, if not always appreciated, games. Kirby games are GREAT. I truly believe they are and love them.

Anyway, here are some more fun videos

Reminds me of how people cried Kirby vs Buu because they thought he wasn't threatening

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Reminds me of how people cried Kirby vs Buu because they thought he wasn't threatening
Yeah they know zero about the series and just assume he would lose :ohwell:
some say that since hes a balloon he cant punch but buu is gum they're both warriors also in omm meta knight vs zero just had brawl moves(no projectiles) they assume hes well known from brawl hes popular from the kirby series
also the ending for mario vs sonic sucked (I like sonic but mario getting dizzy NEVER EVER IN A MARIO GAME HAPPENS sorry for off topic but that sucked (like I said I just hate that he got dizzy im ok if sonic won if mario didnt get dizzy)
:grrr:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Yeah they know zero about the series and just assume he would lose :ohwell:
some say that since hes a balloon he cant punch but buu is gum they're both warriors also in omm meta knight vs zero just had brawl moves(no projectiles) they assume hes well known from brawl hes popular from the kirby series
also the ending for mario vs sonic sucked (I like sonic but mario getting dizzy NEVER EVER IN A MARIO GAME HAPPENS sorry for off topic but that sucked (like I said I just hate that he got dizzy im ok if sonic won if mario didnt get dizzy)
:grrr:
Mario lost to Sonic? That should never happen in a million years. I guess if people want to pretend Sonic wins in these little silly fanfiction scenarios, than whatever. In real life, Sonic long ago lost to Mario in terms of shear quality as far as the franchises are concerned lol.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Mario lost to Sonic? That should never happen in a million years. I guess if people want to pretend Sonic wins in these little silly fanfiction scenarios, than whatever. In real life, Sonic long ago lost to Mario in terms of shear quality as far as the franchises are concerned lol.
They took what they could do in their games to see who would win in a death match

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
They took what they could do in their games to see who would win in a death match
No EVERYTHING was ok until Mario got dizzy I DID like it until that mario NEVER gets dizzy I still like sonic though
Fanboys say he got frustrated but it was obvious he was the stereotypical cartoon getting dizzy Mario also never gets frustrated either
:046:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The animation in that is just for entertainment, what they do is look at the stuff both characters did and compare it
No EVERYTHING was ok until Mario got dizzy I DID like it until that mario NEVER gets dizzy I still like sonic though
Fanboys say he got frustrated but it was obvious he was the stereotypical cartoon getting dizzy Mario also never gets frustrated either
:046:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
oh god lol

messed up on a Waddle Dee's programming and just found the best glitch/feature/HAL programming jank ever

after I finish this level I'll make a video of it

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
I've been lurking this thread for 1 entire year
Reading your opinions, movesets and puns
And today I finally created an account just for this

Also I'm Peruvian so expect some bad english and short posts :139:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I finally finished it...

THAT WAS SO ANNOYING BUT SATISFYING AT THE END.

Guys, I'm really tired. I'll post RtDL stuff later.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Well, welcome! Fellow Dee supporter Ive been lurking for a little bit shorter than you :p I started posting a couple of weeks ago but kept making wrong accounts This one joined on Deecember 6 I like being called Rendum though

Flying_Skitty

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1091-8635-3184
*one google translate later"

Welcome.
And do not worry about it.
Welcome @ Chalo5000 Chalo5000 ! It's ok, I understand about the short post. I use short post too, but I use them because I type on an IPhone and it lags intensely when I type.

oh god lol

messed up on a Waddle Dee's programming and just found the best glitch/feature/HAL programming jank ever

after I finish this level I'll make a video of it
Omg, I want to know what it is now. I like glitches. They are always interesting to me.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Well, you're lucky. I just got home, so I'll record some clips right now.

Also, I have two things that are sorta significant (idk) to the Kirby series, or at least RtDL, that I found out while editing files. Will post those with videos probably.

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
Well, welcome! Fellow Dee supporter Ive been lurking for a little bit shorter than you :p I started posting a couple of weeks ago but kept making wrong accounts This one joined on Deecember 6 I like being called Rendum though
Just when I read your post talking about how you been looking at this thread whitout joining I just thought
Why I haven't done this already? :happysheep:

Well, you're lucky. I just got home, so I'll record some clips right now.

Also, I have two things that are sorta significant (idk) to the Kirby series, or at least RtDL, that I found out while editing files. Will post those with videos probably.
I love you Reserved-Senpai :love: :love: :love: :love:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl

Will explain what's going on plus those two things I was talking about in a bit (30 minutes ~ 1 hour?).

You can get some of the explanation by viewing the video description, though!

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord

Will explain what's going on plus those two things I was talking about in a bit (30 minutes ~ 1 hour?).

You can get some of the explanation by viewing the video description, though!
LOL cute. I like those sandbags as floating thingies better. It's more fun having a training helper that does more than sit there.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I wonder when Chandelure is actually liking something or just likes it because Bandana Dee thread

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I wonder when Chandelure is actually liking something or just likes it because Bandana Dee thread
Must ... not ... like ... dees ... post ........ oh crap.

I like every post in this thread because the posts are about Kirby/Bandana Dee and you all are cool guys and girls.

But yeah, I will admit that sometimes I like some posts only because they are in this thread, like some debates with walls of texts or people saying that they are just here to talk about Kirby but think Bandana Dee is meh, etc.

Also, I don't like deetractors's posts.

Last edited:

ZarroTsu

Smash Journeyman
While I don't think I'd main the character (until I can have hands-on experience with whatever goofy shenanigans come out of it), I would love to goof around with the little guy if he were added. So thrust me on the supporters list.

Flying_Skitty

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1091-8635-3184
There's a rumor going around that on the first page of Dee support thread, there are some non-detractor posts that Chandelure hasn't liked...
:O Impossible! What's next? Sprite and Mentos don't explode! Grape juice stops staining! Ridley gets in Sm5sh!

Last edited:
Top Bottom