• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
So I took a crack at the whole Kirby Timeline thing.

In my first attempt at the timeline I tried putting all the games in the same timeline. I wasn't sure where to put some games like Squeak Squad and Amazing Mirror at first. Amazing Mirror would have happened sometime after Kirby met MK so it'd take place after Adventure since they're both familiar with each other. However would this than take place prior to the dreamland games or after? How do I than place them in terms of order Other than game release date? It seemed the only way to make sense is just go by game release dates . DL2, 3, and K64 are obviously in order already. This timeline works but it disregards patterns in design and links between games. Especially where characters were concerned as well.

Than I attempted the multiverse idea for a timeline. I found that this way the games were more organized and grouped by something. Putting together more sequential bits.
This timeline felt organized to me and games more linked by group. However keep in mind that there is no set in stone official timeline for Kirby. I know there are some people who like the idea of the games being in the same universe. I'm a tiny bit more partial to second timeline myself as I feel the batches of games are linked. Also because I feel that it does not negate the idea that all are true realities of dreamland but simply exist across different dreams and that details from one universe still influence and can exist in the other. The concept of dreams is versatile.

So I have both a timeline for all games and the multiverse timeline.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
While I like the lounge-y feel to this thread, I wish we can talk more about Bandana Dee's potential moveset and abilities more.

It seems like a general consensus that his Up-B will be the Spear Copter which is chargable like in the game. His Neutral-B/Side-B throws a spear. However everyone seems to have different opinions what his final two species should be.

What do you guys think they should be?

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
While I like the lounge-y feel to this thread, I wish we can talk more about Bandana Dee's potential moveset and abilities more.

It seems like a general consensus that his Up-B will be the Spear Copter which is chargable like in the game. His Neutral-B/Side-B throws a spear. However everyone seems to have different opinions what his final two species should be.

What do you guys think they should be?
I mentioned this before but his side special is that he whips the parasol. If you hold the button you continue to hold the parasol and reflect projectiles. You can even walk while you hold the button.

Down Special is Megaton Punch with is basically Bowser Bomb but with a punch and you can charge it like Aura Sphere.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So I took a crack at the whole Kirby Timeline thing.

In my first attempt at the timeline I tried putting all the games in the same timeline. I wasn't sure where to put some games like Squeak Squad and Amazing Mirror at first. Amazing Mirror would have happened sometime after Kirby met MK so it'd take place after Adventure since they're both familiar with each other. However would this than take place prior to the dreamland games or after? How do I than place them in terms of order Other than game release date? It seemed the only way to make sense is just go by game release dates . DL2, 3, and K64 are obviously in order already. This timeline works but it disregards patterns in design and links between games. Especially where characters were concerned as well.

Than I attempted the multiverse idea for a timeline. I found that this way the games were more organized and grouped by something. Putting together more sequential bits.
This timeline felt organized to me and games more linked by group. However keep in mind that there is no set in stone official timeline for Kirby. I know there are some people who like the idea of the games being in the same universe. I'm a tiny bit more partial to second timeline myself as I feel the batches of games are linked. Also because I feel that it does not negate the idea that all are true realities of dreamland but simply exist across different dreams and that details from one universe still influence and can exist in the other. The concept of dreams is versatile.

So I have both a timeline for all games and the multiverse timeline.
I like both your concepts, but as always, I think that the multiverse theory feels a bit forced.
Especially the difference between the friends dreamverse and the main dreamverse; Kirby Super Star Stacker/Kirakira Kids has both Metaknight and the animal friends, and it's supposed to be right after DL3, since there are 3 colored halos on the pop-star and Kirby has still the heart stick. It's a spin-off, so maybe it's not too much reliable, but I prefer to think that even spin-offs are canon (except maybe Ghost trap/Avalanche that's completely different, Kirby talks and has a different personality, etc.)
Also, in that game, Dedede's castle has his classic design from Dreamland 1. Maybe Dedede has more than just one castle? The castles in KDL3 and K64 look more like towers than castles, maybe they aren't really his main castle.

I prefer to think that Metaknight is not in the Dreamland games because he's repairing the halberd, that in Squeak Squad is seen underwater at first (possibly it's still where it sunk after Superstar). He uses the Halberd again only after Squeak Squad because in that game he finished to repair it.

Aside from that, they are both cool theories.
Overall, the most challenging part of making a Kirby timeline is finding a location for Superstar and Adventure, that feel like two parallel games.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
The down special move could be the Parasol. On the ground, Bandana Dee could perform either the Parasol Swing attack or the Parasol Drill attack. In the air, he could perform the Parasol Dive attack. The attacks would probably hit multiple times. However, this is similar to one of Captain Falcon's custom special moves.

Last edited:

Call911imonfire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Call911imonfire
I mentioned this before but his side special is that he whips the parasol. If you hold the button you continue to hold the parasol and reflect projectiles. You can even walk while you hold the button.

Down Special is Megaton Punch with is basically Bowser Bomb but with a punch and you can charge it like Aura Sphere.
This. I am actually super happy that we are talking about movesets again. I love talking about them.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I like both your concepts, but as always, I think that the multiverse theory feels a bit forced.
Especially the difference between the friends dreamverse and the main dreamverse; Kirby Super Star Stacker/Kirakira Kids has both Metaknight and the animal friends, and it's supposed to be right after DL3, since there are 3 colored halos on the pop-star and Kirby has still the heart stick. It's a spin-off, so maybe it's not too much reliable, but I prefer to think that even spin-offs are canon (except maybe Ghost trap/Avalanche that's completely different, Kirby talks and has a different personality, etc.)
Also, in that game, Dedede's castle has his classic design from Dreamland 1. Maybe Dedede has more than just one castle? The castles in KDL3 and K64 look more like towers than castles, maybe they aren't really his main castle.

I prefer to think that Metaknight is not in the Dreamland games because he's repairing the halberd, that in Squeak Squad is seen underwater at first (possibly it's still where it sunk after Superstar). He uses the Halberd again only after Squeak Squad because in that game he finished to repair it.

Aside from that, they are both cool theories.
Overall, the most challenging part of making a Kirby timeline is finding a location for Superstar and Adventure, that feel like two parallel games.
Hm problem with having the idea that MK might just being repairing the Halberd is that there's no proof of that and yet every game in the Main Kirbyverse does indicate that MK exists within that game or timeline. Yet in the Shinmomura's games he's no where around or EVEN referenced in some way that indicates he exists in those games. Yet let's take a look at the games all listed in the Mainverse.

Adventure is where he appears
KSSU in Revenge of Metaknight (I put KSS after because Revenge of MK implies he's enacting Revenge for some reason. Why would he attack Kirby for revenge if nothing has happened yet? Meaning something HAD to have happened. MK lost to Kirby in Adventure)
Amazing Mirror Metaknight tries to stop Dark Metaknight
Canvas Curse, Metaknight is playable and exists
Kirby's return to dreamland, Metaknight is playable
Kirby's Triple Deluxe, although Metaknight isn't in this game, Dark Metaknight's presence implies he exists in this world.
Kirby's Rainbow Curse, Metaknight's mask is an unlockable and
the fairy character draws a picture of Dedede and Metaknight in her book, implying she's meet them both and they exist in this world

The last two games mentioned don't have MK much like the Friendsverse but they DO indicate he exists regardless.

the 3 characters that best represent the series and are featured in Smash Brothers to represent Kirby ARE Kirby, Dedede, and Metaknight. For 3 games and for the period of time Shinomura made Kirby games, he did not even referenced MK in anyway. Yet characters like the animal friends at least make cameos in the stone ability and Rainbow Curse transformations. Yet Metaknight is a main character and was established in Adventure prior and again in KSS.

MK does not appear in Shinomura's games and the animals friends and ado never appear to help again in any of the titles that indicate MK exists. The Dreamland games also feel really tied together by a reoccurring boss. This is the reason why I had to come to this conclusion. I didn't include Star Stacker because it was a spin off game in the same way I didn't include Tilt n' Tumble or Air Ride.

Also it's a bit weird for the anime castle to appear in a few games and than not at all. It's not indicated if Dedede has another castle at all. I can understand maybe why Squeak Squad has the castle as I believe this was about the time the Kirby anime happened but than Mass Attack and Epic Yarn were games that happened much later. Before these games came out KSSU was released and the castle design wasn't updated to match the anime. Later in Triple Deluxe we see that Dedede again lives in his old castle design. Mass Attack and Epic Yarn games came out later in the franchise's lifespan and the anime wasn't new by then. The one thing these games have in common is that their gameplay or apperance is very different from classic Kirby titles. The anime is indicated as being non canon by the creators so maybe this castle design was used on purpose.

Sorry I'm not trying to isolate certain games as being less valid. As I stated I think the worlds from all these games can still all exist even if they do so across different multiverses. I'm a big fan of Mass Attack, really like DL2, and have a nostalgic place in my heart for K64 (and it's fantastic soundtrack) but I feel the second time line really organizes the games well. Some of these game batches do feel very isolated and a lot of that also has to do with the different directors that have worked along side Sakurai and after he left Hal Labs. So I am partial to this second timeline.

It's not like Nintendo games don't deal with the multiverse concept. Mario indicates that multiveres are a possibility at the end of Mario Galaxy with Rosalina and the recreation of the Galaxy. We already know from the official Nintendo Zelda Timeline that there are multiveres in the Zelda Universe depending on Link succeeding or failing. So it's not too farfetched to think the same of Kirby. Again it's not set in stone. People have their own ideas. However I don't think it's too much of a stretch or outside the realm of possibility.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Woah guys, there's something I found in Rainbow Curse that actually indicates that perhaps all the games DO take place on the same timeline or at least the friendverse and the mainverse might actually be connected. However it might be a little bit of a spoiler? I dunno but I'll put things behind the cut.

Now I really liked the multiverse idea because the time line was so organized. Trying to put all the games in the same timeline still means figuring out where later games fall on the timeline and in relation to others. The big problem with Kirby games is that often times there are characters and concepts introduced that don't return again. Making it seem like these ideas or characters exist as another interpretation of the world with in the Kirby games. However I was looking at the pages from the book Eline wrote. I put Rainbow Curse in the timeline because of it's connection to characters and games on the main timeline like Canvas Curse and Triple Deluxe
Claycia shares a name and art ability with characters like Drawcia and Paintra. Drawcia and Paintra are canon sisters and we can assume Claycia is their sister as well
also Bandana Waddle Dee being in the game and in various other titles in the main time line. Also Metaknight existing.

Anyway, I came across this page

Now I had a friend translate all the text on this page. It doesn't necessarily state that Eline has seen Rick, Coo, or Kine but it does not negate it either. It translate to "Sketches of animals" and we see various wild life around. Than the small text says, flying, climbing, and swimming. Still we have to consider the possibility of the friendsverse games taking place on the timeline. If that's the case we have to consider a timeline with all the games on it. Which is very complicated. I've tried making timelines with all the games on it but never really confident in their order. If anyone wants to attempt one I can give some feedback but yes... other wise we can also assume that the multiverse idea is still relevant. Consider that various dreamverses are connected even if they are separate. Parts from one dream can appear or be referenced in another even of those characters don't ever seem to show up. It's a possibility but it's not a confirmed idea. It warrants the possibility of the animals existing a long side characters like Metaknight and Galacta Knight some how.

I've come to the conclusion that a timeline for the Kirby franchise is complicated given it's abundance of new characters and bosses and no clear indication of a sequential order between one or the other (outside of DL2, 3, and K64). Still I'll continue to ponder the possible order of all the games and see if I can make sense of it. Otherwise I still like the other timeline just fine but I'm interested in the reassurance of order. So yeah.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I don't know if someone know this in this thread, but meh. I will still make the questions XD
If you know the answers (or at least one of them), please put theme in a spoiler thing :D

1. Is the clay some magic from the final boss or just an artistic style?

2. Is Claycia the real name of the final boss? XD

3. Do you know the description of the Bandana Dee figurine (and also the two BD alts figurines)?

4. Is the game selling well in Japan?

5. Does the Kirby Amiibo break the final battle?

6. Can you defeat the final boss as Bandana Dee?

7. Does Bandana Dee appears in the final cutscene if you play multiplayer?

8. About all the music, does it sound in the game or just in the sound test?

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I don't know if someone know this in this thread, but meh. I will still make the questions XD
If you know the answers (or at least one of them), please put theme in a spoiler thing :D
The clay is just an artistic choice for this game. It does not seem to appear that Claycia turned the world to clay, more like she just took all the color.

yes. Sort of... I can't spoil the final boss.

3. Do you know the description of the Bandana Dee figurine (and also the two BD alts figurines)?
I don't sorry. I can try and get a screencap of it later and see if the same person is willing to translate it for me. We follow each other on social media but honestly don't know them irl. I don't want to annoy them by asking translations for everything.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...sses_out_on_topping_japanese_charts_at_launch
In its launch week in Japan, over 32,000 copies of the game were sold. It did not top the charts. I predict it won't really especially in Japan.

I don't know but it probably does because you can just charge without collecting stars and charging does WAY more damage so... it allows you to play the game on easy mode I suppose.

I don't know. I had predicted that Bandana Dee would be playable given the fact that P1 was able to produce a Bandana Dee as well... BUT I've not see any gameplay where P1 is using Bandana Dee yet so. I may have been mislead by that initial gameplay video.

I don't know since I haven't seen a Let's Play video where someone beat it with another person yet.

Don't know this either, sorry x_x wish I knew more but I'm watching gameplay vids like everyone else and seeing titles and menus in Japanese with no translations. I'll have to wait for the western release like everyone else to know more :(

Sales Comparison
Launch sales for Rainbow Curse - 32,137

Launch sales for Triple Deluxe - 214,208

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...sses_out_on_topping_japanese_charts_at_launch

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/15/week-sales-kirby-makes-nintendo-3ds-debut/

edit: gonna just add all the sales from the previous titles in. Rainbow Curse is selling fairly poorly in comparison....

(2010) Kirby’s Epic Yarn (Wii) – 92,280

(2011) Kirby: Mass Attack (DS) – 74,915

(2012) Kirby’s Return to Dreamland (Wii) – 136,811

(2014) Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS) - 214,208

(2015) Kirby's Rainbow Curse - 32,137

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/220518-...pening-week-to-recent-kirby-launches-in-japan

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
The clay is just an artistic choice for this game. It does not seem to appear that Claycia turned the world to clay, more like she just took all the color.

yes. Sort of... I can't spoil the final boss.

I don't sorry. I can try and get a screencap of it later and see if the same person is willing to translate it for me. We follow each other on social media but honestly don't know them irl. I don't want to annoy them by asking translations for everything.

In its launch week in Japan, over 32,000 copies of the game were sold. It did not top the charts. I predict it won't really especially in Japan.

I don't know but it probably does because you can just charge without collecting stars and charging does WAY more damage so... it allows you to play the game on easy mode I suppose.

I don't know. I had predicted that Bandana Dee would be playable given the fact that P1 was able to produce a Bandana Dee as well... BUT I've not see any gameplay where P1 is using Bandana Dee yet so. I may have been mislead by that initial gameplay video.

I don't know since I haven't seen a Let's Play video where someone beat it with another person yet.

Don't know this either, sorry x_x wish I knew more but I'm watching gameplay vids like everyone else and seeing titles and menus in Japanese with no translations. I'll have to wait for the western release like everyone else to know more :(

Sales Comparison
Launch sales for Rainbow Curse - 32,137

Launch sales for Triple Deluxe - 214,208

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/15/week-sales-kirby-makes-nintendo-3ds-debut/

edit: gonna just add all the sales from the previous titles in. Rainbow Curse is selling fairly poorly in comparison....

(2010) Kirby’s Epic Yarn (Wii) – 92,280

(2011) Kirby: Mass Attack (DS) – 74,915

(2012) Kirby’s Return to Dreamland (Wii) – 136,811

(2014) Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS) - 214,208

(2015) Kirby's Rainbow Curse - 32,137

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/220518-...pening-week-to-recent-kirby-launches-in-japan
Thanks! :D

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
Mehh.. I guess it's not THAT bad for a spinoff thats gameplay doesn't seem really appealing on a poorly selling console. Hopefully America steps it up.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Mehh.. I guess it's not THAT bad for a spinoff thats gameplay doesn't seem really appealing on a poorly selling console. Hopefully America steps it up.
It's pretty significantly low though. However you do bring up a point that the Wii U in general isn't selling like hotcakes and same for the games. Also Console games sell less than handheld titles in Japan as is.

It might help to compare it to certain other Wii U titles

Kirby's Rainbow Curse - 32,137
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker – 28,025
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze – 35,717
Mario 3D World - 99,588
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Wii U) – 227,527

It's apparent that Kirby won't sell consoles like Smash or Mario Kart (which sold more than 1.2 million world wide in it's first two weeks)

but compared to other franchises like the launch of Captain Toad which is new and DK, being other games on the Wii U... the sales aren't too shocking...

So going back to the question of "is Rainbow Curse selling poorly in Japan?"
I guess not much more poorly than other Wii U games in general (That are not MarioKart and Smash Bros)

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
After thinking about it, I won't be getting Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (Please don't hurt me), so may someone please spoil everything about it? :p

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
After thinking about it, I won't be getting Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (Please don't hurt me), so may someone please spoil everything about it? :p
Well I suppose the gameplay isn't for everyone. It's definitely not your typical platformer game and the drawing mechanic can be annoying to some people. Have you ever played Canvas Curse?

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
'Gets worried when I get three notifs for this thread'
No. Play the game to find out. :p
Please? :p
*climbs into window and stabs you 64 times*
'Dodges stabbing like a boss'
Well I suppose the gameplay isn't for everyone. It's definitely not your typical platformer game and the drawing mechanic can be annoying to some people. Have you ever played Canvas Curse?
Actually, the reasons I'm not getting it is because from what I've heard there are very little levels.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291

Ahem..

That and I hadn't played the game yet. How would I know?
Also you should know that the game costs less than an average Wiiu game (about 40 , I believe)so the low amount of levels is somewhat justified.

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord

'Dodges stabbing like a boss'

Actually, the reasons I'm not getting it is because from what I've heard there are very little levels.
Try checking the gameplay videos that are out for the game already to verify the level length meets your needs. There's a lot of collection that can occur in the levels from what I've noticed. If not, no big deal. Canvas Curse was one of those games where I either meet people who hated the gameplay or loved it. The change is a hard sell for some folks.

Call911imonfire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Call911imonfire
Though seriously I don't really know much about the story other than hands... and paint.

I see you change into a Greninja avatar. You may be fast enough to dodge spears and knifes but I am the true ninja here! I'm watching you.:evil:
Greninja vs. Greninja, we just need TehRyuga and then it'll be a REAL battle of the ubers. Who has the best tounge scarf? Find out next time on Dragon Ball B....Dee. (I'm sorry)

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Woah guys, there's something I found in Rainbow Curse that actually indicates that perhaps all the games DO take place on the same timeline or at least the friendverse and the mainverse might actually be connected. However it might be a little bit of a spoiler? I dunno but I'll put things behind the cut.

Now I really liked the multiverse idea because the time line was so organized. Trying to put all the games in the same timeline still means figuring out where later games fall on the timeline and in relation to others. The big problem with Kirby games is that often times there are characters and concepts introduced that don't return again. Making it seem like these ideas or characters exist as another interpretation of the world with in the Kirby games. However I was looking at the pages from the book Eline wrote. I put Rainbow Curse in the timeline because of it's connection to characters and games on the main timeline like Canvas Curse and Triple Deluxe
Claycia shares a name and art ability with characters like Drawcia and Paintra. Drawcia and Paintra are canon sisters and we can assume Claycia is their sister as well
also Bandana Waddle Dee being in the game and in various other titles in the main time line. Also Metaknight existing.

Anyway, I came across this page

Now I had a friend translate all the text on this page. It doesn't necessarily state that Eline has seen Rick, Coo, or Kine but it does not negate it either. It translate to "Sketches of animals" and we see various wild life around. Than the small text says, flying, climbing, and swimming. Still we have to consider the possibility of the friendsverse games taking place on the timeline. If that's the case we have to consider a timeline with all the games on it. Which is very complicated. I've tried making timelines with all the games on it but never really confident in their order. If anyone wants to attempt one I can give some feedback but yes... other wise we can also assume that the multiverse idea is still relevant. Consider that various dreamverses are connected even if they are separate. Parts from one dream can appear or be referenced in another even of those characters don't ever seem to show up. It's a possibility but it's not a confirmed idea. It warrants the possibility of the animals existing a long side characters like Metaknight and Galacta Knight some how.

I've come to the conclusion that a timeline for the Kirby franchise is complicated given it's abundance of new characters and bosses and no clear indication of a sequential order between one or the other (outside of DL2, 3, and K64). Still I'll continue to ponder the possible order of all the games and see if I can make sense of it. Otherwise I still like the other timeline just fine but I'm interested in the reassurance of order. So yeah.
Paintra and Drawcia are two twins who came out from a forgotten painting. They are drawings brought to life, from the studio of a mysterious artist. I don't know anything about Rainbow Curse's story because I can't speak japanese, but I think that
Claycia is a crafter, she makes those waddle-dee like vases and she probably is not a painter (or maybe she is also a painter, but she is mainly a crafter). I can speculate that the artist who drew the picture with Drawcia and Paintra may have been the final boss of this game, but nothing is known yet.

About the animal friends in Rainbow Curse, there is another page of the diary that has Pon&Con in a comical tv show; Pon&Con's only (canon) appearances until now were only in Kirby's Dreamland 3 and in the anime.

I don't dislike the multiverse theory, but I think that there are too many hints that it's instead just the same world (I see instead just Sakurai trying to exclude any game not directed by himself from the main canon, but that's just him, because the new director of Kirby games constantly puts various references to all the Kirby games from the past, with no exclusions).
In the Zelda series, the multiverse thing was brought in by fans, when an official timeline wasn't even made. I think that they used the multiverse theory in the official timeline to -please the fans and -leave the story open to many different views of the same world, like when an official timeline wasn't made. Also, it was difficult (but not impossible) to link all the games with a solid timeline, since until OoT and Majora there wasn't a real timeline, they were reboots each time.

The multiverses in Mario and in Zelda are somehow justified anyway.
In Mario, Rosalina recreated the universe to save it from Bowser; In Mario Galaxy 2 the events of Galaxy 1 are repeated (without Rosalina - the star festival again) but at the end of the game you meet Rosalina and she says that they were destined to meet each other again (it's not really a multiverse, it's just rebooting a game).
Then there is the Paper Mario series, that feels like a different canon as well, but even in those games there are references to other Mario games, for example: in Super Paper Mario, in the Sammer Kingdom, after you defeat an enemy, he says to mario that "you in the future will do this" making references to event of other games (even the original Mario RPG), like if Super Paper Mario was a sort of prequel of most of Mario's adventures.
In Zelda there is that theory of the time paradox in Ocarina of Time (I don't really like that theory too much, since there are other games with similar time travels, it doesn't make much sense to split the story only with OoT - but it's official now, so I'll deal with it).
In Kirby there isn't anything yet that could have splitted the universe in many parallel worlds (aside from the dimensional mirror, but that's a bit different). The anime universe is obviously a different canon, but everything in the games doesn't have any hint of being in a different universe, aside from changes in the art style (even the halberd has 2 different designs, I don't think it matters too much). The Escargoon cameo in Mass Attack was just a cameo in a fan-service based minigame, so I don't think that it really counts; there was also that Dedede robot from the unreleased Kirby GC game!
I think that the cameo of the anime characters in Mass Attack is as canon as Mario in Kirby Superstar and Samus in Kirby's Dreamland 3 (she doesn't even appear in the credits of the game with all the other characters you need to help in the game); we can make theories about dreams but the fact is that their presence is irrelevant to the games, outside from doing a cameo.

I think that a multiverse is needed when some elements of some games contradict some other games, which is not Kirby's case yet. There are more contradictions with the soul versions of the bosses and the various arenas in the same game, than between various different Kirby games (this is why I think that the arenas and the bonus modes are mostly not canon, unless there are important events such as freeing Galacta Knight or the return of the dimensional mirror).

Call911imonfire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Call911imonfire
Paintra and Drawcia are two twins who came out from a forgotten painting. They are drawings brought to life, from the studio of a mysterious artist. I don't know anything about Rainbow Curse's story because I can't speak japanese, but I think that
Claycia is a crafter, she makes those waddle-dee like vases and she probably is not a painter (or maybe she is also a painter, but she is mainly a crafter). I can speculate that the artist who drew the picture with Drawcia and Paintra may have been the final boss of this game, but nothing is known yet.

About the animal friends in Rainbow Curse, there is another page of the diary that has Pon&Con in a comical tv show; Pon&Con's only (canon) appearances until now were only in Kirby's Dreamland 3 and in the anime.

I don't dislike the multiverse theory, but I think that there are too many hints that it's instead just the same world (I see instead just Sakurai trying to exclude any game not directed by himself from the main canon, but that's just him, because the new director of Kirby games constantly puts various references to all the Kirby games from the past, with no exclusions).
In the Zelda series, the multiverse thing was brought in by fans, when an official timeline wasn't even made. I think that they used the multiverse theory in the official timeline to -please the fans and -leave the story open to many different views of the same world, like when an official timeline wasn't made. Also, it was difficult (but not impossible) to link all the games with a solid timeline, since until OoT and Majora there wasn't a real timeline, they were reboots each time.

The multiverses in Mario and in Zelda are somehow justified anyway.
In Mario, Rosalina recreated the universe to save it from Bowser; In Mario Galaxy 2 the events of Galaxy 1 are repeated (without Rosalina - the star festival again) but at the end of the game you meet Rosalina and she says that they were destined to meet each other again (it's not really a multiverse, it's just rebooting a game).
Then there is the Paper Mario series, that feels like a different canon as well, but even in those games there are references to other Mario games, for example: in Super Paper Mario, in the Sammer Kingdom, after you defeat an enemy, he says to mario that "you in the future will do this" making references to event of other games (even the original Mario RPG), like if Super Paper Mario was a sort of prequel of most of Mario's adventures.
In Zelda there is that theory of the time paradox in Ocarina of Time (I don't really like that theory too much, since there are other games with similar time travels, it doesn't make much sense to split the story only with OoT - but it's official now, so I'll deal with it).
In Kirby there isn't anything yet that could have splitted the universe in many parallel worlds (aside from the dimensional mirror, but that's a bit different). The anime universe is obviously a different canon, but everything in the games doesn't have any hint of being in a different universe, aside from changes in the art style (even the halberd has 2 different designs, I don't think it matters too much). The Escargoon cameo in Mass Attack was just a cameo in a fan-service based minigame, so I don't think that it really counts; there was also that Dedede robot from the unreleased Kirby GC game!
I think that the cameo of the anime characters in Mass Attack is as canon as Mario in Kirby Superstar and Samus in Kirby's Dreamland 3 (she doesn't even appear in the credits of the game with all the other characters you need to help in the game); we can make theories about dreams but the fact is that their presence is irrelevant to the games, outside from doing a cameo.

I think that a multiverse is needed when some elements of some games contradict some other games, which is not Kirby's case yet. There are more contradictions with the soul versions of the bosses and the various arenas in the same game, than between various different Kirby games (this is why I think that the arenas and the bonus modes are mostly not canon, unless there are important events such as freeing Galacta Knight or the return of the dimensional mirror).
No one has commented on this yet so will. Iko, I know you and Kirby Queen are talking about the Kirby timeline but still, why are all of your and Kirby Queen's posts 5 light years long?! I'm worried about my mouse wheels health. 2much reading for me 2take.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
No one has commented on this yet so will. Iko, I know you and Kirby Queen are talking about the Kirby timeline but still, why are all of your and Kirby Queen's posts 5 light years long?! I'm worried about my mouse wheels health. 2much reading for me 2take.
Sorry XD There is so much to say on the matter... I think we should write in the Dreamland social group, but that place is not much active anymore (it's basically dead).

It's that I enjoy overanalizing things in games.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
The Kirby universe is a bit too complex. Even if we were to say that certain characters appearing means canon or non canon, link or no link, it's all an assumption. Take the Kirby anime for instance. By saying that characters present = canon, we are also ignoring the fact the the show features many of these characters but is clearly not canon. What do the developers think?

Also say what you will about Sakurai but I don't see any Metaknight in the friendverse titles. So I guess being exclusionary goes both ways.

Either way making a timeline seems to require more input. I really like the multiverse theory and think that it's a possibility but I also think that putting all the games on the timeline can be just as canon since we don't actually have proof of one way or the other. However it's more complicated. Maybe it's as unextraordinary and simple as accepting the games in the order of their release. That's fine too.

This image is my further feelings in regards to the timeline, lol

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Also say what you will about Sakurai but I don't see any Metaknight in the friendverse titles. So I guess being exclusionary goes both ways.
About Metaknight, that's true (excluding Super Star Stacker, but that's from another director), but in the friendverse titles there are lots of Sakurai characters: Mr Shine and Mr Bright, Cracko, Whispy, Poppy, Waddle Dee, and even Chef Kawasaki in DL3.
Probably Shimomura excluded Metaknight because he was unfitting with the mood of the games, and because at the time he was not a recurring character yet (it became very recurring just after Amazing Mirror).
The remake of Kirby's Adventure on GBA was directed by Shimomura as well, and Metaknight has a whole special mode in which he is playable (I prefer the original Kirby's Adventure, don't get me wrong).

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
About Metaknight, that's true (excluding Super Star Stacker, but that's from another director), but in the friendverse titles there are lots of Sakurai characters: Mr Shine and Mr Bright, Cracko, Whispy, Poppy, Waddle Dee, and even Chef Kawasaki in DL3.
Probably Shimomura excluded Metaknight because he was unfitting with the mood of the games, and because at the time he was not a recurring character yet (it became very recurring just after Amazing Mirror).
The remake of Kirby's Adventure on GBA was directed by Shimomura as well, and Metaknight has a whole special mode in which he is playable (I prefer the original Kirby's Adventure, don't get me wrong).
I prefer the original Adventure because I think it's graphically so beautiful for NES that it's a work of art to me xD Maybe MK didn't fit the mood but I still like him in the cute world of Kirby. It was amusing in Return to dreamland for sure.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I prefer the original Adventure because I think it's graphically so beautiful for NES that it's a work of art to me xD Maybe MK didn't fit the mood but I still like him in the cute world of Kirby. It was amusing in Return to dreamland for sure.
Yeah I'm not saying that he doesn't fit Kirby, he doesn't fit Shimomura's Kirby, to an extent. I think that the whole fitting argument is very inconsistent, since Good Feel managed to put Metaknight in Epic Yarn with no problems (it was just for trying to explain why he was missing in Shimomura's games).

About Kirby's Adventure, I prefer the original one because it pushes the NES to its limit too, and because it has a better visual style than the remake; also the small rooms that were modified in the remake were better in the original (most of all, Butter Building).

Burruni

Smash Hero
Y'know, Chandy, I gotta ask: What newcomers would you like besides The Dee? I'm personally big rooting for Ganon, a Rhythm Heaven Character, and if it comes to it, King K. Rool because he's a more interesting choice than Dixie.

Top Bottom