• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Okay, THIS IS AMAZING.

I just need to give props to HAL for the fact that there is NO PLAYER PRIORITY AT ALL!

What I mean by this is that while playing Bandana Dee, even though I am technically the first player, it still treats me as the second player due to the fact that Bandana Dee was never designed to be the first player. However, I can do EVERYTHING that Kirby is able to do as the first player. Now, this doesn't mean I can go and inhale things or copy abilities, but I go into levels, doors, ride warp stars, etc. even without Kirby being present in the game. I find this to be really great, as this means I can play through THE WHOLE GAME as Bandana Dee!

Here's a few other things that I want to say:

Playing through levels as Bandana Dee is SO FUN! I mean, the game has so much more replay value when you're playing as the other characters! If any of you have the chance, go play through the game as Bandana Dee! Of course, you can't 100% everything because you can't inhale, but that's not really important - what's important is you can go through as Bandana Dee! It's truly an amazing experience, and I've only beaten a few levels, haha. Also, so far I haven't encountered anything that I couldn't go through - levels that use Super Abilities can be completed even without using the ability, it's just a bit harder. There's also never been a time that I've needed Kirby, other than for Energy Spheres, which I've just decided to skip so I don't have to stop playing and get Kirby out.

Everything works with Bandana Dee. I've already gone through player priority, but this is a bit different. There's a few "cutscenes" and such that always include Kirby, due to the fact that he's the forced first player. This includes boss cutscenes (such as when Whispy Woods spawns in), warp star/level map (when you're riding the warp star), and Lor Starcutter scenes (when you're throwing the pieces onto the Lor Starcutter). Also, Bandana Dee walks over to the same position that Kirby is in, which really makes it seem like Bandana Dee is the main player. What I mean with this is that when you go into scenes such as when you start boss fights, Kirby always walks in first and is closer to the boss than extra players (1st player goes first in the scenes, then 2nd, 3rd, 4th). When I'm playing as Bandana Dee, it still moves Bandana Dee over to the places where Kirby would be, and then plays everything out using Bandana Dee's animations, such as still using Bandana Dee's dance instead of Kirby's. Bandana Dee goes into his fourth-player position on Warp Stars and on the map's Warp Star, but what I enjoy is that there's no Kirby - it's just Bandana Dee on the warp star/map alone. It's also really cute because Bandana Dee looks around, haha. Also, one thing I really didn't expect to work is that Bandana Dee can do things such as throwing Lor Starcutter pieces onto the ship. I didn't expect this to work because the scene always has Kirby (the forced player) throwing the piece on, while other players (Bandana Dee, MK, DDD) are always standing behind watching. Now, Bandana Dee goes and throws it while they're all watching from behind!

Bandana Dee has a few odd "appearances" when it comes to Copy Abilities. This is mainly the UI, and it looks really cute! What I mean with this is that if I switch to Kirby in the middle of a level as Player 1, get a copy ability, such as sword, and then switch back to Bandana Dee, when it switches to Bandana Dee, he still keeps the sword icon but switches to his Bandana Dee face at the bottom. This basically has Bandana Dee on the UI wearing a Sword Kirby hat, or something like that. The UI refreshes when I enter a door, so then it goes back to having his regular UI icon without any hat, and only his face. It looks really cute seeing Bandana Dee wearing a sword hat, haha. Oh, and so no confusion happens, he doesn't actually wear the hat on his head, he only wears it on the UI. Also, when I go into the copy ability challenges (right when you enter Lor) as Bandana Dee, this is basically the one animation that Bandana Dee shouldn't be doing in the whole game. When you go into the copy ability challenges, it uses Kirby's animation when he gets a copy ability, so when I go in as Bandana Dee, it requests this animation but can't find it. This puts Bandana Dee into a T-Pose, but puts the actual 3D hat on his head, such as Whip hat, which looks really funny. He goes into the copy ability room after that, but it switches me into Kirby with whatever copy ability challenge it is, until I leave.

Basically, the whole game works as King DeDeDe, Meta Knight, or Bandana Dee, and has everything in place. The only thing that you "can't do" is use the copy ability rooms, but it switches you into Kirby until you leave, so it technically works. Every cutscene, animation, etc. works correctly even with the other characters as the first player, so it looks like the game actually meant for the other characters to be playable as the first player. Actual "video" cutscenes work as normal, but it still seems fine because all of the "video" cutscenes always include all four characters.

TL;DR - Playing as Bandana Dee alone works throughout the whole game and is super fun.

So yeah, this is really going to be fun. I'm probably going to play as Bandana Dee, then King DeDeDe, and then Meta Knight - it's really a different experience playing as them instead of Kirby.

Also, a big example (WARNING, TRIPLE DELUXE SPOILERS):

Playing as the other characters is pretty similar to when you play DeDeDe Tour, except everything is the same as when Kirby is the first player, so you can save whenever you want, there's a world map, and you exit levels by playing Goal Game. If you want EX Bosses, you could either play in Extra Mode as one of the other characters, or you could apply another code to make all the bosses their EX versions

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I made a roster, it includes bandana dee as well as some not unreasonable choices (unless ridley counts as unreasonable)

http://imgur.com/4r4A5Ri

anything highlighted in green is an alt costume

EDIT: ...why won't the image work

EDIT 2: does anyone know if your allowed to send images off of imgur?

EDIT 3: I just posted the link
Minus toad,dark pit and lucas i would be fine if this was the roster and that was the alts.Still think paper mario will be a character in smash 5 or 6 or whatever it's called.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Oh, I got the last post on the last page. Going to re-post this because I'd like more people to see it:

Okay, THIS IS AMAZING.

I just need to give props to HAL for the fact that there is NO PLAYER PRIORITY AT ALL!

What I mean by this is that while playing Bandana Dee, even though I am technically the first player, it still treats me as the second player due to the fact that Bandana Dee was never designed to be the first player. However, I can do EVERYTHING that Kirby is able to do as the first player. Now, this doesn't mean I can go and inhale things or copy abilities, but I go into levels, doors, ride warp stars, etc. even without Kirby being present in the game. I find this to be really great, as this means I can play through THE WHOLE GAME as Bandana Dee!

Here's a few other things that I want to say:

Playing through levels as Bandana Dee is SO FUN! I mean, the game has so much more replay value when you're playing as the other characters! If any of you have the chance, go play through the game as Bandana Dee! Of course, you can't 100% everything because you can't inhale, but that's not really important - what's important is you can go through as Bandana Dee! It's truly an amazing experience, and I've only beaten a few levels, haha. Also, so far I haven't encountered anything that I couldn't go through - levels that use Super Abilities can be completed even without using the ability, it's just a bit harder. There's also never been a time that I've needed Kirby, other than for Energy Spheres, which I've just decided to skip so I don't have to stop playing and get Kirby out.

Everything works with Bandana Dee. I've already gone through player priority, but this is a bit different. There's a few "cutscenes" and such that always include Kirby, due to the fact that he's the forced first player. This includes boss cutscenes (such as when Whispy Woods spawns in), warp star/level map (when you're riding the warp star), and Lor Starcutter scenes (when you're throwing the pieces onto the Lor Starcutter). Also, Bandana Dee walks over to the same position that Kirby is in, which really makes it seem like Bandana Dee is the main player. What I mean with this is that when you go into scenes such as when you start boss fights, Kirby always walks in first and is closer to the boss than extra players (1st player goes first in the scenes, then 2nd, 3rd, 4th). When I'm playing as Bandana Dee, it still moves Bandana Dee over to the places where Kirby would be, and then plays everything out using Bandana Dee's animations, such as still using Bandana Dee's dance instead of Kirby's. Bandana Dee goes into his fourth-player position on Warp Stars and on the map's Warp Star, but what I enjoy is that there's no Kirby - it's just Bandana Dee on the warp star/map alone. It's also really cute because Bandana Dee looks around, haha. Also, one thing I really didn't expect to work is that Bandana Dee can do things such as throwing Lor Starcutter pieces onto the ship. I didn't expect this to work because the scene always has Kirby (the forced player) throwing the piece on, while other players (Bandana Dee, MK, DDD) are always standing behind watching. Now, Bandana Dee goes and throws it while they're all watching from behind!

Bandana Dee has a few odd "appearances" when it comes to Copy Abilities. This is mainly the UI, and it looks really cute! What I mean with this is that if I switch to Kirby in the middle of a level as Player 1, get a copy ability, such as sword, and then switch back to Bandana Dee, when it switches to Bandana Dee, he still keeps the sword icon but switches to his Bandana Dee face at the bottom. This basically has Bandana Dee on the UI wearing a Sword Kirby hat, or something like that. The UI refreshes when I enter a door, so then it goes back to having his regular UI icon without any hat, and only his face. It looks really cute seeing Bandana Dee wearing a sword hat, haha. Oh, and so no confusion happens, he doesn't actually wear the hat on his head, he only wears it on the UI. Also, when I go into the copy ability challenges (right when you enter Lor) as Bandana Dee, this is basically the one animation that Bandana Dee shouldn't be doing in the whole game. When you go into the copy ability challenges, it uses Kirby's animation when he gets a copy ability, so when I go in as Bandana Dee, it requests this animation but can't find it. This puts Bandana Dee into a T-Pose, but puts the actual 3D hat on his head, such as Whip hat, which looks really funny. He goes into the copy ability room after that, but it switches me into Kirby with whatever copy ability challenge it is, until I leave.

Basically, the whole game works as King DeDeDe, Meta Knight, or Bandana Dee, and has everything in place. The only thing that you "can't do" is use the copy ability rooms, but it switches you into Kirby until you leave, so it technically works. Every cutscene, animation, etc. works correctly even with the other characters as the first player, so it looks like the game actually meant for the other characters to be playable as the first player. Actual "video" cutscenes work as normal, but it still seems fine because all of the "video" cutscenes always include all four characters.

TL;DR - Playing as Bandana Dee alone works throughout the whole game and is super fun.

So yeah, this is really going to be fun. I'm probably going to play as Bandana Dee, then King DeDeDe, and then Meta Knight - it's really a different experience playing as them instead of Kirby.

Also, a big example (WARNING, TRIPLE DELUXE SPOILERS):

Playing as the other characters is pretty similar to when you play DeDeDe Tour, except everything is the same as when Kirby is the first player, so you can save whenever you want, there's a world map, and you exit levels by playing Goal Game. If you want EX Bosses, you could either play in Extra Mode as one of the other characters, or you could apply another code to make all the bosses their EX versions

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
Okay, THIS IS AMAZING.

o.o howd you play as just one character?
and wouldnt you be unable to beat the bosses you need kirby for?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
o.o howd you play as just one character?
and wouldnt you be unable to beat the bosses you need kirby for?
I used a cheat code that forces the first player into Bandana Dee instead of Kirby. Also, what bosses need Kirby to beat? The only one I can think of is Magolor, which I could just beat with Bandana Dee and then bring in Kirby to use the Super Abilities.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I used a cheat code that forces the first player into Bandana Dee instead of Kirby. Also, what bosses need Kirby to beat? The only one I can think of is Magolor, which I could just beat with Bandana Dee and then bring in Kirby to use the Super Abilities.
The big orange sun guy in Nutty Noon? Don't you have to suck him up to get the Sword Power to finish him off?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
The big orange sun guy in Nutty Noon? Don't you have to suck him up to get the Sword Power to finish him off?
Ooh, Grand Doomer! I forgot about him, haha. I think after you beat him or he's at half health, you need to grab the Ultra Sword, so I'll just bring in Kirby and finish him.

Enderman1021

Smash Ace
NNID
Enderman1021
MOVESET TIME!

INFO:
tip of spear is a sweat spot
a bit heavier than kirby
dash speed of meta knight
fall speed of luigi
walk speed of pikachu

BASIC ATTACKS

spear thrust - A: bandana dee thrusts his spear forward (5%)
spear throw - side A: bandana dee throws his spear forward (4%)
spear slam - down A: bandana dee thrusts his spear in the ground creating a small shockwave (3%)
up cut - up A: bandana dee thrusts his spear up (5%)
air thrust - A in air: bandana dee thrusts his spear forward (5%)
spear barrage - side A in air: bandana dee throws up to 7 low damaging spears (1% per spear) (low knock back)
spear copter - up A in air: bandana dee spins his spear to fly for 4 seconds (captures opponents) (5%)
moon drop - down A in air: bandana dee points his spear downwards and runs it into the ground, increasing his fall speed (7%)
jab barrage - spam A: bandana dee jabs forward 4 times ending with a simple thrust (6%) end jab (5%)
air barrage - spam A in air: bandana dee jabs forward 4 times ending with a simple thrust (6%) end jab (5%)

SMASH ATTACKS

reach jab - side A: bandana dee jabs his spear as far as he can (15%) (high knock back)
megaton punch - down A: bandana dee slams the ground with his fist creating a big shockwave (10% shockwave) (20% punch)
waddle jump - up A: waddle dee jumps up and slams the ground (10 - 15%)

SPECIALS

parasol block - B: bandana dee spins his parasol in front of him, also reflects projectiles (6%)
waddle jump 2 - side B: waddle dee jumps forward forming a medium shield afterwards lag (10%)
spear uppercut - up B: waddle dee jumps up while holding his spear in front of him (8%)
parasol spin - down B: waddle point his parasol on the ground and spins it (6%)
parasol glide - B in air: waddle dee hold up his parasol gliding to the ground (no damage)
spear swing - side B in air: bandana dee swings his spear around him (8%)
parasol drill - down B in air: bandana dee points his parasol downwards while spinning it, increases falls speed (6%)
spear slam - up B in air: bandana dee smashes the back of his spear in the ground (7%)

GRABS

medium strength

punch - A: bandana dee punches his enemy (2%)
spear drill - down: bandana dee put his opponents under him and drills them with his spear (6%)
parasol spin - forward: bandana dee throws his enemy forward spinning them on his parasol (7%)
back throw - backwards: waddle dee throws his opponent behind him (6%)
spear fishin' - up: waddle dee throws his opponent up and stabs them with his spear

FINAL SMASH: spear reign - bandana dee throws a glowing spear in the air which splits into 20 spears which come raining down on the stage (10% per spear)

EXTRA

TAUNT:
1 - bandana dee fixes his bandana
2 - bandana dee fixes the tie on his spear
3 - bandana dee does a short version of the kirby dance

kirby hat - kirby gets his bandana and his spear

intro - bandana dee floats down on his parasol and readies his spear

palate swaps - rainbow curse colors, meta knight color and sailor dee skin

possible snake codec:

Snake: another generic minion, this should be easy

Otacon: not really snake.

Snake: what do you mean?

Otacon: bandana waddle dee, or bandana dee for short is dedede's right hand man! he is master weilder of the spear and has extreme strength.

Snake: strength from what?

Otacon: you think dedede likes walking?

Last edited:

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
aah i tried to get this working before, i found out how to do it now too! awesome, can always just use cheats to bypass things x3

and yeah i meant grand doomer .3.~

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
No, sorry.
I didn't add the latest movesets because I personally think the OP has enough movesets, specially considering that the game will be released in a few weeks :(
But I will add it if you post it again.
It's fine, I made changes to it anyway:
Entrance: Flies onto the stage with his spear copter.
Neutral Attack: Spear slash, slash, lunge
Dash Attack: Running spear lunge
Side Tilt: Rapid spear lunge
Up Tilt: Spear uppercut
Down Tilt: Sliding spear point
Side Smash: Spear throw
Up Smash: Up spear point
Down Smash: Spear bury: Has bury effect.
Neutral Aerial: Aerial spear throw
Up Aerial: Up air spear lunge
Forward Aerial: Air spear lunge
Back Aerial: Air spear slash
Down Aerial: Snowball drop: Meteor smash.
Neutral Special: Yarn bow and arrow: Chargeable, acts like Toon Link's hero bow.
Side Special: Yarn missile: Acts like Samus' missile.
Up Special: Spear copter
Down Special: Umbrella shield: Reflects projectiles
Grab: Rope grab (Can be used for tether recovery)
Pummel: Spear point
Front throw: Throws rope forward.
Back throw: Throws rope back.
Up throw: Throws rope up.
Down throw: Spins his spear downward, then lunges his spear downward.
Final Smash: Giga Waddle Dee: Bandana Dee becomes bigger.
Idle pose: Sways his arms back and forth holding his spear, every so often will tap the spear's bottom on the ground.
Taunt 1: Steps back a bit, brings his spear back a bit, and has an 'angry face'.
Taunt 2: Twirls his spear then winks.
Taunt 3: Lifts a star with a food on it (Like in Kirby Triple Deluxe). If it's held up long enough it'll take away 1% of battle damage.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
aah i tried to get this working before, i found out how to do it now too! awesome, can always just use cheats to bypass things x3

and yeah i meant grand doomer .3.~
Eh, I wouldn't use any cheats to unlock anything or change any actual game code. If you do that, you could easily corrupt your save file.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Kirby Fighters is awesome. It's hard mode is pretty brutal too. I beat it with all the powers and I found fighter to be the most challenging as it's quite easy to combo like crazy with that moveset and end up locked in the opponent's string of moves. vulcan punch has great priority. It was a fun and great challenge to play that extra mode. I am impressed with HAL's idea to add it to Triple Deluxe. Good way to have extra fun with the title. It is a shame it doesn't have online but it's nice of them to put the effort into the additional mode anyway. Not like they had to make it but they really wanted to make the extra games enjoyable too. I'm really HOPING for Kirby Fighters Z and Dedede Drum Dash Z to both come over. I'm REALLY hoping they do even if it's in competition with smash I feel like Kirby fans may still pick it up. At least I know I want it.

Also you sure can combo in Kirby Fighters.

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I wouldn't use any cheats to unlock anything or change any actual game code. If you do that, you could easily corrupt your save file.
I wouldnt do that on my wii save file x3 its what i use dolphin for. Wii can stay safe with my copy x3 for cheats i always use a digital copy on an emulator. so bandana all the way. Visions of the future of being able to play him!

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Kirby Fighters is awesome. It's hard mode is pretty brutal too. I beat it with all the powers and I found fighter to be the most challenging as it's quite easy to combo like crazy with that moveset and end up locked in the opponent's string of moves. vulcan punch has great priority. It was a fun and great challenge to play that extra mode. I am impressed with HAL's idea to add it to Triple Deluxe. Good way to have extra fun with the title. It is a shame it doesn't have online but it's nice of them to put the effort into the additional mode anyway. Not like they had to make it but they really wanted to make the extra games enjoyable too. I'm really HOPING for Kirby Fighters Z and Dedede Drum Dash Z to both come over. I'm REALLY hoping they do even if it's in competition with smash I feel like Kirby fans may still pick it up. At least I know I want it.

Also you sure can combo in Kirby Fighters.
The only ability I couldn't beat on very hard in Single Player is fighter ;-;

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I wouldnt do that on my wii save file x3 its what i use dolphin for. Wii can stay safe with my copy x3 for cheats i always use a digital copy on an emulator. so bandana all the way. Visions of the future of being able to play him!
Oh, haha. I do most of my gaming and stuff on the Wii and Wii U, so I'm not that familiar with emulators and such.

On another note, I just found a level editor for Return to Dream Land, so it'll be fun to experiment with! It's all in Japanese, though, so it may be a bit confusing. I'm sure it'll be fun though, haha.

Alsooo...

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I feel like this is one of the most social character threads, haha. We really talk to each other a lot more than other threads.

Has anybody got some Arena times they'd like to share?

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I feel like this is one of the most social character threads, haha. We really talk to each other a lot more than other threads.

Has anybody got some Arena times they'd like to share?
1. Social? The Ridley thread. :laugh:
2. I haven't even beat the arena. :p

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
My times are over 20 minutes for Kirby Triple Deluxe. Sorry not near my 3DS right now to post my top times. Haven't been playing it today. Doing some chores haha. I did find an awesome video that TO ME seems like the fastest time I've seen for TA in Triple Deluxe. Player at the beginning even gives some good tips. It's really impressive. Check it out!

D

Deleted member

how do you unlock the true arena in ktd? I already beat the arena but still have not unlocked it
You must beat the main story, Dedede Tour, and The Arena. You don't need to beat Dedede's Drum Dash and Kirby Fighters will every copy ability.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Update: I just need to get all the random keychains in one file, and some rare keychains/random keychains before I've 100%ed Kirby Triple Deluxe 3 times over :estatic:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I really want that Bandana Dee render that they used in the North American box art for RtDL...

PLS NOA

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Its so addicting. And it has Bandana Dee to save me every single time I need him!!!! Bandana Dee is just that one NPC that makes you go from saying: "A boss fight… Time to give up already… Ugh :c." to this: ":colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:YES MY LORD AND SAVIOR I HAVE A CHANCE NOW!!!!:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:"
Wait, you can just add in an NPC to help you in RtDL?

D

Deleted member

Wait, you can just add in an NPC to help you in RtDL?
I was talking about Triple Deluxe :p

I hope we can see some Bandana Dee RtDL artwork in the next issue of Nintendo Dream if you know what I'm saying :shades:

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
Its so addicting. And it has Bandana Dee to save me every single time I need him!!!! Bandana Dee is just that one NPC that makes you go from saying: "A boss fight… Time to give up already… Ugh :c." to this: ":colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:YES MY LORD AND SAVIOR I HAVE A CHANCE NOW!!!!:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:"
Now, we need Bandana Dee more than ever as our savior once again, he must come down from the heavens to slay the new "leak".
In Bandana Dee we trust, In Bandana Dee we believe.

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
We need a game starring Bandana Dee.

Bandana Dee: Quadruple Triluxe

Bandana Dee: Collosal Strike

Bandana Dee's Voyage to Dreamland

Bandana Dee's Amazing String

Bandana Dee Great Idol Alpha

Woah that took more brainpower than expected. Get on it HAL!

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Random Question time: If there was a Hyrule Warriors styled Kirby game called 'Dreamland Warriors', would you play as Bandana Dee the most?
I might play as him the most, or maybe I'd have a mix between the main four. It'd probably depend on their powers.
Bonus question: Would you want a Hyrule Warriors styled Kirby game? :p
I would!

Enderman1021

Smash Ace
NNID
Enderman1021
Random Question time: If there was a Hyrule Warriors styled Kirby game called 'Dreamland Warriors', would you play as Bandana Dee the most?
I might play as him the most, or maybe I'd have a mix between the main four. It'd probably depend on their powers.
Bonus question: Would you want a Hyrule Warriors styled Kirby game? :p
I would!
YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES

Top Bottom