• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Remind me what this is

I would hate it if he was disconfirmed
Tl;dr - if a series is getting a newcomer, it would only have a new track posted after said newcomer is revealed, not before. K. Rool, Simon, Isabelle and Ridley corroborate this.

Echoes seem to be immune however as we got Dark Samus months after the Metroid remix, and if Ken is an echo, the fact a Street Fighter remix was posted months before his debut wouldn’t rule him out.

Of course if Ken is somehow unique that automatically makes the music theory bupkis

Maikou

Smash Ace
do you guys think the "music theory" disconfirmed Waddle Dee or no?
Most certainly not. It's only a theory, and a flimsy one at that-- the whole music thing could easily be coincidence. Even if not, I don't count a character as disconfirmed until something explicit happens, such as them turning out to be an Assist Trophy/Poke Ball or simply not being in the game at all by the time Sakurai announces that they've shown the last newcomer.

Anop

Smash Apprentice
Im really scared that he might not make it in.. Not appearing in any leaks lately, the music theory, few spots left (likely), lots of competition..
Him and Ashley were my truest wants, and one of them has already perished.. I hope Bandy doesn't, but his fate is looking bleak in my opinion.. Also DLC is possible luckily but they might want to use it for 3rd parties mostly.. Idk but I want to know right now what's gonna happen!

Last edited:

KeyOh

Smash Cadet
Im really scared that he might not make it in.. Not appearing in any leaks lately, the music theory, few spots left (likely), lots of competition..
Him and Ashley were my truest wants, and one of them has already perished.. I hope Bandy doesn't, but his fate is looking bleak in my opinion.. Also DLC is possible luckily but they might want to use it for 3rd parties mostly.. Idk but I want to know right now what's gonna happen!
Even if he doesn't make it I think he has a really good shot at DLC as long as he doesn't get ATed. Last time we actually got a decent number of 1st parties as DLC but they were almost all returning vets. Obviously Sakurai and the Smash team don't have that luxury this time, so they'll probably just go for popular characters for 1st party additions, as those are the ones that will probably sell the best. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for him if this does end up happening though...

On another note, Bandana Dee ended up losing in the Reddit tournament's recount, so he's down in the loser's bracket today.
The good news is he's handling his current match against Dr. Eggman really well, here's a direct link to it if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I have had the same feeling for Bandana Dee as of late. Don't get me wrong, I still really want to see him join the cast, but we're down to the wire on characters now, and nothing has been provided as a hint towards him like other characters have seemingly gotten.

Waddle_dude

Smash Cadet
I feel the same way, I fear we’re not making the cut this game at all, I’m praying we get a swerve and get one last dump of characters within the next two months but it doesn’t seem likely. And DLC is our last shot if he doesn’t make it base game. Although I feel he has a good shot at dlc being the number 1 request in Japan Nintendo could make a lot of money off of him there alone plus all the support he has over here usually placing top ten most wanted characters. He could be a gold mine for Nintendo!

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I just hope he gets a trophy at least. I still can't believe that he didn't appear in Smash 4 in any capacity.

D

Deleted member

I just hope he gets a trophy at least. I still can't believe that he didn't appear in Smash 4 in any capacity.
That may have had to do with the fact that at the time of Smash 4's development, the most recent Kirby game was Return to Dream Land, where he was simply referred to as "Waddle Dee". Given the existence of the standard Waddle Dee trophy, this made things a bit complicated...

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411
Hey fellas, decided to swing by from the Isaac thread to say you guys put up a damn good fight in the reddit poll. Just so you guys know, you folks got my vote for BWD from now on. While I am here, I have thought about it and decided to back you guys up with support. So if you have a support list feel free to add me to it!!

I really wouldn't mind another Kirby Rep, especially a spear user!!

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I wouldn't say that there;s absolutely nothing supporting him. Dedede's Final Smash really feels like, with Sakurai's attention to detail, it should have Bandana Dee in the background. And we know that assist trophies can be in Final Smashes, as shown by Riki, so I don't think that would imply him being an assist trophy. Also, it's likely that some DLC is being planned ahead of time, meaning that they could possibly be accounting for several characters they'd like to make DLC by not making them assist trophies or deconfirming them in any other way. Considering how Bandana Dee has gotten even more prominent in Kirby games since 2015 when the roster was finalized, as well as gained moveset potential due to the Parasol, I could definitely see him as a character they would add as DLC.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't say that there's absolutely nothing supporting him. Dedede's Final Smash really feels like, with Sakurai's attention to detail, it should have Bandana Dee in the background. And we know that assist trophies can be in Final Smashes, as shown by Riki, so I don't think that would imply him being an assist trophy. Also, it's likely that some DLC is being planned ahead of time, meaning that they could possibly be accounting for several characters they'd like to make DLC by not making them assist trophies or deconfirming them in any other way. Considering how Bandana Dee has gotten even more prominent in Kirby games since 2015 when the roster was finalized, as well as gained moveset potential due to the Parasol, I could definitely see him as a character they would add as DLC.
Call it a gut feeling, but at this point I feel like Dee is in the current situation as Mewtwo was during Smash 4: Originally planned for the base game but left out due to time constraints. With Mewtwo it was that he was left out because he's a veteran and they wanted to prioritize newcomers. (As shown with Bowser Jr.) Ultimate, meanwhile, is the exact opposite, where they prioritize veterans over all else, leaving certain newcomers that may have been planned for the base game out for DLC later down the line. I can easily see Dee being teased in a potential november smash direct like Mewtwo was in the 50-fact extravaganza.

Of course, I don't know anything for sure. But with Dee having a ton of moveset potential, being relevant (though whether being relevant is considered a bonus to chances is debatable after K. Rool's announcement), being well known within his series which has grown immensely in activity in the last decade, and most likely having a good amount of support on the ballot (especially in Japan), I just find it hard to imagine Sakurai didn't at least consider him. I'm not ruling him impossible for the base roster, but I also wouldn't be surprised at this point if he didn't make it for launch day. I still got a ton of faith he's one of the frontrunners when it comes to first party characters, and with the way Ultimate's being designed, I feel like DLC is inevitable.
The boi's future is looking bright, and I hope it comes to pass.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Bandana Dee at this point needs to be in Smash, the games incomplete without completing the Kirby quartet.

He deserves a prize. Smash should be his prize.

He's more than earned his place in the big league.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
That may have had to do with the fact that at the time of Smash 4's development, the most recent Kirby game was Return to Dream Land, where he was simply referred to as "Waddle Dee". Given the existence of the standard Waddle Dee trophy, this made things a bit complicated...
I mean that would be a good excuse if it weren't for the fact that not even a standard Waddle Dee trophy was in Smash 4. The only trophy with a Waddle Dee was Parasol Dee and that was only in the 3ds version. It's just really confusing.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey so uh

Following the Ken leak which looks super legit right now, there may be a full roster leak soon. Beware the main thread unless you want to be spoiled. I may duck out if that happens

But please @ me if the Dee is in, if I get an @ from this and/or two other threads I plan to post this in, i can rest easy knowing the Dee finally got his prize

D

Deleted member

I mean that would be a good excuse if it weren't for the fact that not even a standard Waddle Dee trophy was in Smash 4. The only trophy with a Waddle Dee was Parasol Dee and that was only in the 3ds version. It's just really confusing.
Huh... I was not aware of that...

Well that makes things even more confusing...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, something's been on my mind. What if Bandana Waddle Dee played sort of similar to the Servbot from Marvel vs. Capcom 2? As in, he summons Waddle Dee and Doos for various attacks and whatnot?

Maikou

Smash Ace
Hey guys, something's been on my mind. What if Bandana Waddle Dee played sort of similar to the Servbot from Marvel vs. Capcom 2? As in, he summons Waddle Dee and Doos for various attacks and whatnot?
No. Absolutely not. I'm sorry, but beyond having no basis in canon and outright contradicting Bandana Dee's personality, it just reinforces the "hat Goomba" argument.

sn0wbro

Smash Rookie
I was thinking maybe Dee's Megaton Punch could be a chargeable special (think Little Mac) and his final smash could be him riding on Kabula instead! Seeing as the new final smashes are all very flashy and cinematic, I was thinking something like that would be pretty cool.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
No. Absolutely not. I'm sorry, but beyond having no basis in canon and outright contradicting Bandana Dee's personality, it just reinforces the "hat Goomba" argument.
How would you guys feel if he more or less inherited Dedede's Brawl final Smash and used Dees and Doos only for that?

Last edited:

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
How would you guys feel if he more or less inherited Dedede's Brawl final Smash and used Dees and Doos only for that?
...eh. Not a fan. I genuinely think if anyone should have it, it’s Dedede, and he already got Masked Dedede as his final smash. The only connection between Bandana Dee and that Final Smash is that... He’s a Waddle Dee.

This is just me talking, but I personally prefer it if a Final Smash has a strong connection to the character. It’s why i like Megaton Punch so much since it lampshades him being rather under the radar for anyone who hasn’t played a modern Kirby game. Taking a final smash from a small minigame in that regard seems fitting to me. Or as a different example, the Star Allies Sparkler could be used as Bandana Dee is Kirby’s closest ally.
But that’s just me. It can still happen. After all. There have already been characters whose Final Smashes have little to no relation to the characters themself. (Ness, Lucas, Simon.) I just have my preferences.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've come to a conclusion.

Bandana Dee is the new Ridley.

Goomba with a Hat = Too Big
Yeah, it's basically a fan rule at this point. They assume that enemies can't join, regardless of any special ones that stick out from the rest of their brethren (e.g. BWD and Kamek), yet the Mario spin-offs have no problem putting in all sorts of random enemies as playable, regardless of how much sense it makes.

At least they upgraded to mini-bosses with Pom Pom and finally have Bowser playable in Super Mario Party...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Bandana Dee is the new Ridley.
No if anything Waluigi is the new Ridley because even despite being deconfirmed as an assist once more. People are STILL clamoring for him and thinking he still has a chance. -_-

Like man not even people are so persistent towards Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I think the real question that everyone seems to be forgetting is:
Who would die in Bandana Dee's trailer?
As Isabelle has shown, very good boys and girls are just too pure to kill someone in their own trailer.
Bandana Dee is the purest of boys.
He only makes friends.
The only thing his spear will proverbially pierce is everyone's hearts because he's such an adorable fella.

Okay, but seriously, if someone *were* to die in Bandana Dee's trailer, it would be a Fire Emblem character since spears beat swords in FE's weapon triangle. Or so I'd guess anyway.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No if anything Waluigi is the new Ridley because even despite being deconfirmed as an assist once more. People are STILL clamoring for him and thinking he still has a chance. -_-

Like man not even people are so persistent towards Shovel Knight.
Now that you mention it, he's even purple.

Though he still stands a better chance than Barbara.

Maikou

Smash Ace
I think the real question that everyone seems to be forgetting is:
Who would die in Bandana Dee's trailer?
Stop. Just stop. Not every trailer has someone dying. The only actual proper deaths so far have been in Ridley's trailer and sort-of in Simon's because apparently the Belmont Strut is more important than saving an innocent man's life to him. Even then, Luigi was shown just about to get back to his body, so Simon ensured Death's Soul Steal didn't stick. Oh, and Dedede? He got *****-slapped. That's it. Unless you REALLY want to tell me Pit died in Palutena's Smash 4 trailer because Link kicked him in the gut, the worst Dedede got was a bump on the back of his head.

Ridley is a gleefully sadistic murderer, so naturally the best way to show his personality to show him indulging his bloodthirst. Dracula's Castle is filled to the brim with Dracula's loyal undead minions, and the Count himself steals men's souls and makes them his slaves, so naturally his second-in-command is searching for good slaves and apparently the animators thought it'd be funny to try to deconstruct Luigi's Mansion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Never a dull moment on a smashboards eh? Regardless still believe Bandana Dee has a chance.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Stop. Just stop. Not every trailer has someone dying. The only actual proper deaths so far have been in Ridley's trailer and sort-of in Simon's because apparently the Belmont Strut is more important than saving an innocent man's life to him. Even then, Luigi was shown just about to get back to his body, so Simon ensured Death's Soul Steal didn't stick. Oh, and Dedede? He got *****-slapped. That's it. Unless you REALLY want to tell me Pit died in Palutena's Smash 4 trailer because Link kicked him in the gut, the worst Dedede got was a bump on the back of his head.

Ridley is a gleefully sadistic murderer, so naturally the best way to show his personality to show him indulging his bloodthirst. Dracula's Castle is filled to the brim with Dracula's loyal undead minions, and the Count himself steals men's souls and makes them his slaves, so naturally his second-in-command is searching for good slaves and apparently the animators thought it'd be funny to try to deconstruct Luigi's Mansion.
Apart from all that, it seems the trailers have been gradually getting lighter and sillier. Ridley's is appropriately grim, Simon/Richter's is spooky at parts, with Luigi's shenanigans being the only source of lightheartedness, K.Rool's has plenty of silliness and slapstick capped with an epic battle, and Isabelle's is completely peaceful and breezy. That last one is probably a coincidence, if someone else was planned to be revealed first, but it counts nonetheless.

If BWD is next, I would expect a trailer that fits the spirit of the Kirby series. A whimsical sense of adventure, with dangers lurking around the corner.

Waddle_dude

Smash Cadet
I’m hoping we get another direct in October before one last huge smash direct. BWD could easily be reveled then. Honestly I just wish vergeben would say BWD is in the game lol. I know not all leakers are 100% accurate but he seems to be the closest we got

D

Deleted member

Bandana Dee hasn't been mentioned in a lot of certain leaks. But it does not decomfirm him. Hope he is coming in but we will see.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
As Isabelle has shown, very good boys and girls are just too pure to kill someone in their own trailer.
Bandana Dee is the purest of boys.
He only makes friends.
The only thing his spear will proverbially pierce is everyone's hearts because he's such an adorable fella.

Okay, but seriously, if someone *were* to die in Bandana Dee's trailer, it would be a Fire Emblem character since spears beat swords in FE's weapon triangle. Or so I'd guess anyway.

Both agreeable sentiments. I was only kidding anyways. I can't see character deaths in a character like Bandana Dee's trailer anyways. It'd just feel out of place.

D

Deleted member

Bandana Dee we await you please arrive in Smash in some form.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
I’m hoping we get another direct in October before one last huge smash direct. BWD could easily be reveled then. Honestly I just wish vergeben would say BWD is in the game lol. I know not all leakers are 100% accurate but he seems to be the closest we got
General Directs are roughly 3 months apart so we probably won't get one until December or so. Our best hope for an October reveal is a Robin-style trailer.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
General Directs are roughly 3 months apart so we probably won't get one until December or so. Our best hope for an October reveal is a Robin-style trailer.
I disagree. Seems to be a pattern with Smash Directs.

July: Smash Direct > August: Smash Direct > October: Smash Direct > December: Release date

Too big of a coincidence.

StormC

Smash Hero
I disagree. Seems to be a pattern with Smash Directs.

July: Smash Direct > August: Smash Direct > October: Smash Direct > December: Release date

Too big of a coincidence.
You mean June? I mean, sure, we could get an October Smash Direct, but if we do, I expect the last reveals to be in that. Otherwise it'll be November.

Besides, you know the saying, 2's a coincidence, 3's a pattern.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You mean June? I mean, sure, we could get an October Smash Direct, but if we do, I expect the last reveals to be in that. Otherwise it'll be November.

Besides, you know the saying, 2's a coincidence, 3's a pattern.
Poop for some reason I wrote July.

Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
While I am by no means some kind of representative, I'm coming from the Geno board to wish you guys and girls the best of luck! I fully support Bandana Waddle Dee's inclusion in Smash Ultimate, and I hope he gets in, he definitely deserves it :)

Top Bottom