• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
Well well, this thread is back! I used to mostly lurk in the old one, participating in all the polls and contests posted, but never really talking much. That doesn't mean my love for our spear-wielding friend isn't big! He's my second pick for a newcomer (Chibi-Robo is 1st, because I want Nintendo to give the franchise another shot) , and overall deserves to be in the game. Hopefully the Heroes of Dream Land will all be together in this new(?) Smash title!

Also...
Has anyone seen the "goomba with a hat" argument at all this year? It seems almost everyone is either "BDee is really cool! I hope he's in!" or "Sure he can be in, he deserves it I guess. I don't really care, but I wouldn't be against it."

It's crazy how much the sentiment towards our boy has changed in 4 to 5 years.
This might be because he's being seen as a more staple character of the Kirby series than before: his presence in Planet Robobot, Team Kirby Clash, major character (Playable too!) in Battle Royale, and now his appearance as a Dream Friend alongside Dedede and Meta Knight in Star Allies, which was also released very recently.

His playable appearance in Star Allies is possibly the biggest factor here, as many non-Kirby fans have picked up the game, and with him being presented alongside Dedede and Meta Knight, a lot of them are simply saying: "Oh, guess he's an important character that I just didn't know of." (Example: When seeing Bandana Dee as a Dream Friend in the last Nintendo direct, youtuber Arlo literally just said "I did not know Bandana Waddle Dee was a thing that was important."). At least that's how I see that change in the general opinion.

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Just as important as Mario?

That might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. I think Kirby is important and four characters is completely justified, maybe even five. But it's not on Mario's level, pretty much nothing is on Mario's level
Ya I know nothing will reach Mario level of impact but what I ment was. The Kirby franchise still has great influence on the gaming industry. This whole thing came about because of an argument I had. The guy kept saying how Kirby is irrelevant and that nonsense.

D

Deleted member

The only Nintendo franchise that's around Mario's level is Pokemon

Last edited by a moderator:

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I have actually.
I got really mad irl.
Dont let those Deetractors get to you, friend! Bandana Dee is the 4th hero of Dream Land and the best (potential) new Kirby rep, "bland" and "uncreative" design or not.

The only Nintendo franchise that's around Mario's level is Pokemon
And maybe Zelda. Its not immensely popular, but a new Zelda game always makes waves.

On a diffrent topic, I know Star Allies is still pretty recent, but a SA section should be added to the original post (If it's not too much trouble, Chandy). Bandana Dee as a Dream Friend helps with proving our point.

Though, at this stage, I'm not sure if we really need to push for the whole "Bandana Dee really is part of the main cast, people!", and just say he's one of the 4 main characters from the series and stop there. He's been just as (if not more) prominent than Dedede and Meta Knight in the last 6 years of the franchise, that should be enough to prove a point, no?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Has anyone seen the "goomba with a hat" argument at all this year?
Ha! That argument doesn't even work because the classic Paper Mario games do have Goombas with hats who are well-realized characters.

Not that Goombario and Goombella should be in Smash, but still.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ha! That argument doesn't even work because the classic Paper Mario games do have Goombas with hats who are well-realized characters.

I never thought it was possible to simultaneously laugh at and inadvertently support an argument at the same time. Kudos.

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice

We should add this to the "Bandana Dee is just a generic enemy and his name is Waddle Dee" selection of counterarguments. That was actually really good.

D

Deleted member

We should add this to the "Bandana Dee is just a generic enemy and his name is Waddle Dee" selection of counterarguments. That was actually really good.
It's already there.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Hell give anyone a personality with limits and goals and you got an iconic character.

Last edited:

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman

"Waddle dee could never have his own cereal, goombas dont get their own cereal"

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
I like how Smash Flash 2 implemented Bandana Waddle Dee, gameplay and moveset-wise.
It's actually a more conservative approach too, nothing too ridiculous.
I agree in part. While it's a more grounded approach, and I like that, I feel it doesnt take as much inspiration from the series cannon as it could (using moves that reference the spear and parasol abilities directly, as well as very few moves from the latter).

Also I love/hate the use of Beam in the moveset, because we've never seen Bandana Dee use that copy ability before, so while it is very effective and works well, it bugs me because its non-cannon. Then again, I'm obsessed with characters being as cannon as possible, so this might just be me.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I agree in part. While it's a more grounded approach, and I like that, I feel it doesnt take as much inspiration from the series cannon as it could (using moves that reference the spear and parasol abilities directly, as well as very few moves from the latter).

Also I love/hate the use of Beam in the moveset, because we've never seen Bandana Dee use that copy ability before, so while it is very effective and works well, it bugs me because its non-cannon. Then again, I'm obsessed with characters being as cannon as possible, so this might just be me.
Yeah I hated the beam too, but sometimes you can't make a character 100% canon, y'know? Would've still liked to see some Corrin stab shenanigans on that moveset, but I'm still pretty happy with what we got.

Last edited:

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Just poppin' in here to say that it'd great if Bandana Waddle Dee made it into Smash 5. I think he has everything required to qualify for a spot amongst Nintendo's all-stars and especially as a new addition to the Kirby series represents. (Not to mention that he'd be unique character, considering no one in Smash Bros. wields a spear.)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It is an ice-cream in ball form, usually sold at amusement parks. People pay extra because they are unique.
dont think we get those here, but its been a very long time since ive been to an amusement park

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Hey everyone!

I've been wanting Waddle Dee in Smash since around Melee's release, so I'm obviously supporting the little guy, especially since he has tons of moveset potential.

I know he's first and foremost a spear fighter, and I'm hoping we'll see him do his Helicopter trick, but what I would also love is the inclusion of his Parasol in his movesets.

Honestly, I think he has great chances to make it. I'm looking at popular entries that spanned between SSB4 and this new title, and apart from the Inklings and ARMS (Not sure if ARMS is super popular, but they market the hell out of it soooo...), I'm not seeing much. Now would be the proper time to focus on adding Nintendo All-Stars!

I'm crossing my fingers for Bandana Dee, any form of Toad, Dixie Kong, Krystal, King K.Rool and Ridley among others.

WinOrTroll

Smash Rookie
Bandana Dee has been my most wanted character for a long time now, all the way back during when Smash 4 was announced.

I hope Sakurai is able to see the demand for this character and put him into Smash Switch.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guess which game is selling gangbusters in the land of the rising sun?

Media Creates and Famitsu data shows that this game is among the Top 5 best selling launches for a Kirby game. With three installments last year and a big title this year, it's great to hear Kirby doing well... which can only be good for our bandana warrior.

"Waddle dee could never have his own cereal, goombas dont get their own cereal"
Give me both! I want to mix both in. Then, I'll be more powerful than either of them.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Guess which game is selling gangbusters in the land of the rising sun?

Media Creates and Famitsu data shows that this game is among the Top 5 best selling launches for a Kirby game. With three installments last year and a big title this year, it's great to hear Kirby doing well... which can only be good for our bandana warrior.Give me both! I want to mix both in. Then, I'll be more powerful than either of them.
I'm not even surprised at this point. Nintendo has been knocking it out of the ballpark with their games for the Switch, both quality-wise and sales-wise. And you're right, if there was one Kirby game we'd want to be promoting for the sake of Bandana Dee, it would definitely be this one, simply for the description and role it gives him.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I think I've tried it once and didn't think much of it, preferred regular Ice Cream anyway.

Glad to hear Kirby is doing so well. In the strange case he's not in the base game, this could help him get in as DLC.

D

Deleted member

Bandana Dee support growing character getting bigger and bigger until he’s hopefully in Smash!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
A lot of people seem to be trashing on Bandana Dee since Marx trailer dropped. It's kinda annoying. If Marx got in Smash instead of Bandana Dee, I think I'd be furious

D

Deleted member

A lot of people seem to be trashing on Bandana Dee since Marx trailer dropped. It's kinda annoying. If Marx got in Smash instead of Bandana Dee, I think I'd be furious
Is it bad that I want both?
Like, I absolutely want Dee more, but man... Marx looks fun as hell.
I'd actually be fine with any Kirby newcomer after Bandana Dee.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
As long as we get Bandana Dee first, I'd be fine with another Kirby character. Daroach, Magolor, Dark Matter and Marx would all be sweet.

Just not Adeleine, anyone but her

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've noticed, and feel the same way.

I agree, Marx would be a cool Kirby rep, but only if he got in after Bandana Dee

As long as we get Bandana Dee first, I'd be fine with another Kirby character. Daroach, Magolor, Dark Matter and Marx would all be sweet.

Just not Adeleine, anyone but her
Same. Also, I'm calling it right now, Adeline is going to be in the second wave of DLC Dream Friends, and people are gonna start saying Adeline for Smash. Because Murphy's law, I guess.

Top Bottom