• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

D

Deleted member

Same. Also, I'm calling it right now, Adeline is going to be in the second wave of DLC Dream Friends, and people are gonna start saying Adeline for Smash. Because Murphy's law, I guess.
She already has a support thread, so idk if that'd change anything.
I'm surprised no one said Rick, Kine and Coo for Smash yet.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people seem to be trashing on Bandana Dee since Marx trailer dropped. It's kinda annoying. If Marx got in Smash instead of Bandana Dee, I think I'd be furious
Is it bad that I want both?
Like, I absolutely want Dee more, but man... Marx looks fun as hell.
I'd actually be fine with any Kirby newcomer after Bandana Dee.
As long as we get Bandana Dee first, I'd be fine with another Kirby character. Daroach, Magolor, Dark Matter and Marx would all be sweet.

Just not Adeleine, anyone but her
Yeah, I've noticed, and feel the same way.

I agree, Marx would be a cool Kirby rep, but only if he got in after Bandana Dee

Same. Also, I'm calling it right now, Adeline is going to be in the second wave of DLC Dream Friends, and people are gonna start saying Adeline for Smash. Because Murphy's law, I guess.
Marx's popularity has definitely shot up thanks to his Dream Friend Status. and honestly it'd be pretty cool to see him get into smash. BUT ONLY AFTER BANDANA DEE!! once Dee is in any other Kirby characters would be cool to see. especially Marx or Magolor

and I also hope there's a second wave of Dream Friend DLC featuring Magolor, Taranza, Adeline and special guest Qbby from Boxboy!
since Adeline and Taranza could easily be built off of Painter and Spider respectively. they'd be somewhat easier to implement. while Magolor and Qbby would offer new unique moves like Marx and Gooey. that said. I don't really want Adeline or Taranza for Smash.

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
A lot of people seem to be trashing on Bandana Dee since Marx trailer dropped. It's kinda annoying. If Marx got in Smash instead of Bandana Dee, I think I'd be furious
I'd be pretty upset as well, but unfortunately I can definitely see it happening. Sakurai could see it as an opportunity to add Marx, a character from his own games. It would be a huge kick in the face considering B. Dee has been a mainstay while this is Marx's first appearance in forever. We still have no clue what he thinks of Bandana Dee as a character, or if he even classifies him as his own character. A good thing however, is the fact that B. Dee was in the base game along with Kirby, D3, and MK. This could bode well if Sakurai was aware of the development process of Star Allies, acknowledging his importance. The others being Downloadable Content might mean they were added late into the development of SA.

The fact that HAL had to point out Bandana Dee's "stellar attendance in the Kirby series and deserves a prize" in his pause description is still really suspicious to me. I might be overanalyzing it, but that just seems like such a random thing to put in a character description. They went out of their way to show his recurring roles within the entire franchise instead of just talking about his character. I'm probably overthinking it though. :laugh:

Regardless, I'm gonna remain optimistic for BD even with the popularity of other Kirby characters increasing.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
You also have to keep in mind that the roster has vemy likely already been finalized. While early base game plans could influence Smash, post game content is highly unlikely to have any affect on the roster, like none at all.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Eh, I never saw the appeal of Marx. He was what, a one-and-done boss while little impact on the series as a whole? Personally, I'll pass. At least Waddle Dee, in some form or another, been around in pretty much every game from the start and is recognizable even outside of the Kirby fanbase; not to mention he has both important supporting roles and playability status in multiple games to boot.

D

Deleted member

Eh, I never saw the appeal of Marx. He was what, a one-and-done boss while little impact on the series as a whole? Personally, I'll pass. At least Waddle Dee, in some form or another, been around in pretty much every game from the start and is recognizable even outside of the Kirby fanbase; not to mention he has both important supporting roles and playability status in multiple games to boot.
You're vastly downplaying the value of uniqueness here.
Not saying Bandana Dee isn't unique, but you should keep in mind that not everyone cares about credentials.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Not saying Bandana Dee isn't unique, but you should keep in mind that not everyone cares about credentials.
True, true. Unique characters are what makes the game fun and everyone has their long-shot favorites (I know I sure do). I'm not trying to take down anyone's favorites.

D

Deleted member

Hate that Bandana Dee is being downplayed, Marx is awesome and has a lot of potential but Bandana Dee does too and should be consonderrd before the. Bat jester.

Morbi

Scavenger
If THE LEGEND OF ZELDA has not yet gotten a one-off character, there is definitely no way we are getting Marx. If anything, he did not downplay it nearly enough. You know who does care about credentials? Mashpotato Samurai. You can support who you want to support, it does not mean it is vaguely realistic or ever going to happen.

D

Deleted member

If THE LEGEND OF ZELDA has not yet gotten a one-off character, there is definitely no way we are getting Marx. If anything, he did not downplay it nearly enough. You know who does care about credentials? Mashpotato Samurai. You can support who you want to support, it does not mean it is vaguely realistic or ever going to happen.
Yes, I'm not an idiot. I wasn't talking about realism.
*goes back to ignoring you*

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I think it's a combination of three factors that help, but not necessarily guarantee, a character get in.

1. Legacy/Iconic
This would be the credential portion. Is the character iconic to the series, or even gaming as a whole? This is where one-off characters will struggle.

2. Uniqueness
This is where the odder choices get by. What can a character bring to Smash that no other can. Clone-esque characters like Daisy or 90% of Star Fox have a hard time here.

3. Popularity/Marketability
Simply put, do people want this character? Most-likely, characters from section 1 and 2 overlap here but there could be exceptions.

I'm not sure which, if any, outweigh the others since we have examples for each argument.

Fortunately for Dee fans, our little puffball passes all three and only boils down to Sakurai's choice.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
actually, Marx has had a huge, if not THE hugest impact on Kirby. He and Superstar are constantly referenced throughout the series, and Marx has had plenty of things become define features of villains and final bosses because of him. Not to mention HAL seems to really like him, considering they keep pulling him into little parts of games here and there. Hell, even bosses like Sectonia and Star Dream SOUL heavily utilize Marx's moves.

also, This part specifically "At least Waddle Dee, in some form or another, been around in pretty much every game from the start and is recognizable even outside of the Kirby fanbase" could be applied to Marx as well, for the aforementioned reasons of being referenced in every villain and game, whether it be through things like they keychains or moves lifted into other boss battles. Also, Marx is an extremely popular character and has been for a very long time, only recently has it declined some due to a more sparse amount of references in the games, in fact it was somewhat the opposite of B.Dee's situation in that B.Dee hadn't been shown at all since his debut in the Superstar minigame until SSU and later RTDL, as well as people just kind of thinking he was dead for good. But now that he has been confirmed to of course still be alive, as well as being PLAYABLE in a Kirby game, the fanbase for Marx is beginning to "reawake" for lack of a better word. This of course would mean that many people do in fact recognize him outside of dedicated Kirby fans.

Of course, there's also the fact that he would be a villain joining the roster, something that even Smash 4 failed to deliver on. In addition, he would offer an IMMENSELY original moveset with his boss moves and ball.

I also want to say that all of this wasn't meant to be derogatory towards B.Dee or his fans, I guess I just kind of got carried away with defending Marx being an obvious fan of him.

Marx's popularity has definitely shot up thanks to his Dream Friend Status. and honestly it'd be pretty cool to see him get into smash. BUT ONLY AFTER BANDANA DEE!! once Dee is in any other Kirby characters would be cool to see. especially Marx or Magolor

and I also hope there's a second wave of Dream Friend DLC featuring Magolor, Taranza, Adeline and special guest Qbby from Boxboy!
since Adeline and Taranza could easily be built off of Painter and Spider respectively. they'd be somewhat easier to implement. while Magolor and Qbby would offer new unique moves like Marx and Gooey. that said. I don't really want Adeline or Taranza for Smash.
Hate that Bandana Dee is being downplayed, Marx is awesome and has a lot of potential but Bandana Dee does too and should be consonderrd before the. Bat jester.
where exactly is all the hate from Marx fans toward B.Dee fans coming from, out of curiosity? It doesn't seem to be coming from this thread, and not from our Marx thread either. Is it from one of the more general Smash 5 discussions? or perhaps on a different platform such as Youtube or 4chan?

Last edited by a moderator:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
actually, Marx has had a huge, if not THE hugest impact on Kirby. He and Superstar are constantly referenced throughout the series, and Marx has had plenty of things become define features of villains and final bosses because of him. Not to mention HAL seems to really like him, considering they keep pulling him into little parts of games here and there. Hell, even bosses like Sectonia and Star Dream SOUL heavily utilize Marx's moves.

also, This part specifically "At least Waddle Dee, in some form or another, been around in pretty much every game from the start and is recognizable even outside of the Kirby fanbase" could be applied to Marx as well, for the aforementioned reasons of being referenced in every villain and game, whether it be through things like they keychains or moves lifted into other boss battles. Also, Marx is an extremely popular character and has been for a very long time, only recently has it declined some due to a more sparse amount of references in the games, in fact it was somewhat the opposite of B.Dee's situation in that B.Dee hadn't been shown at all since his debut in the Superstar minigame until SSU and later RTDL, as well as people just kind of thinking he was dead for good. But now that he has been confirmed to of course still be alive, as well as being PLAYABLE in a Kirby game, the fanbase for Marx is beginning to "reawake" for lack of a better word. This of course would mean that many people do in fact recognize him outside of dedicated Kirby fans.

Of course, there's also the fact that he would be a villain joining the roster, something that even Smash 4 failed to deliver on. In addition, he would offer an IMMENSELY original moveset with his boss moves and ball.

I also want to say that all of this wasn't meant to be derogatory towards B.Dee or his fans, I guess I just kind of got carried away with defending Marx being an obvious fan of him.
Thank you for the insight. I will admit I'm not the most familiar with the character, but I don't want to give the impression that I bear any ill toward him either. I'd be happy to see new Kirby faces regardless, though right now, Dee has become the favorite in my household.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
technically shiek was a one off character when she was included her second appearance in a zelda game was hyrule warriors and thats still a spin-off

on an unrelated note what happened? how the this turn into a marx vs bandana dee thread?

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
technically shiek was a one off character when she was included her second appearance in a zelda game was hyrule warriors and thats still a spin-off

on an unrelated note what happened? how the this turn into a marx vs bandana dee thread?
my guess is that B.Dee has had the monopoly on being the potential kirby rep, until now where Marx is becoming a serious contender, so I guess some people aren't taking it very well/aren't used to having competition.

oh well. I'm one of the few people that think Smash 5 needs BOTH characters. Kirby is more than deserving enough to have 5 kirby reps.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
my guess is that B.Dee has had the monopoly on being the potential kirby rep, until now where Marx is becoming a serious contender, so I guess some people aren't taking it very well/aren't used to having competition.

oh well. I'm one of the few people that think Smash 5 needs BOTH characters. Kirby is more than deserving enough to have 5 kirby reps.
really? most people in this thread talk about how much they love kirby's sidekick

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
About the whole Bandana Waddle Dee and Marx thing, I still think B. Dee's chances are pretty high and steady, considering he's a reoccurring sidekick/helper and commonly appearing alongside the 3 major Kirby characters. If we get any Kirby newcomers it's pretty likely that it will be him. I wouldn't mind Marx if he made it in, though. It'd be interesting to see how he'd play in Smash Bros... But he'd most likely come after B. Dee.

...Or Sakurai might pull a fast one on all of us and add Rick, Kine and Coo as a 3-in-1.

Troykv

Smash Master
It feels weird that my most wanted character is my FE Girl (Micaiah) but falling down the Top Wanted is essencially filled with Kirby Characters (Bandana Waddle Dee, Adeleine, Marx and Magolor) xD

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The Bandana Dee hate here isn't that bad, but gamefaqs is really bad, "Marx has so much more to offer" "glorified generic enemy" have suddenly become very common sayings everywhere that talks about Kirby characters

Troykv

Smash Master
The Bandana Dee hate here isn't that bad, but gamefaqs is really bad, "Marx has so much more to offer" "glorified generic enemy" have suddenly become very common sayings everywhere that talks about Kirby characters
Kirby Guest Allies had done wonders for older characters, specially Marx (and potentially Adeleine).

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I would love any new Kirby rep, honestly.

Yeah Marx would sting a little, since it would show Sakurai giving preference to the titles he made (especially if we don't get a Kirby stage or at least something from a post Gamecube era title). But honestly, why would we trash other Kirby characters?

Aren't we Kirby fans? We should love and respect all characters, just like Kirby R E S P E C C s everyone in Dreamland. :):b:

We can't act like we did during the Smash 4 speculation days, we're better than that!
:kirby:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Hoo, boy. I've been playing Star Allies pretty much nonstop since I got it, and messing around with Bluster Spear as our boy The Dee has me reeling even still. Now, I'm even more hyped to see if Dee gets in so I can use this new superbuffed version of Dee Copter in Smash. Make it happen, Samurai!
To weigh in on the Bandana Dee VS. Marx discussion that's apparently happening, I'd be just about equally as hyped for either myself. I love Marx, and if nothing else, he at least has his upcoming appearance in Kirby Star Allies going for him, although he would be kind of hard to balance while still having an interesting moveset, I think.
...as early as?

We have a given of less than eight months before this game comes out, I wouldn't call three months away "early." I'd call it pretty late if we hear nothing on Smash until then.
What, you think we're gonna see more of Smash before E3? Don't kid yourself. There's just no way they're doing another Direct before that time; it'll either be too soon since the last Direct, or too close to E3 to be worthwhile. Simply put, there's nowhere else to drop our first gameplay bomb of a new Smash other than a Direct or E3. So yes, I do think E3 could be considered "early" for a character reveal, considering it'll invariably be where we see our first bits of gameplay.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Do you guys feel like Bandana Dee would be an unlockable? I wonder if he's a character that would be easy to hype up outside of Kirby fans.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
For the record, I'm a supporter regular on both the Marx thread and this one. I nominate Marx in the RTC thread every day, but I have a B-Dee profile pic. I love both, and I'd love to see both in Smash!

They're my top two picks, honestly. I will be greatly disappointed if neither gets in, lol.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Been playing Kirby Star Allies and (I'll put this in spoilers in case of anyone who hasn't played it yet and wants everything to be fresh. Has to do with a move idea inspired by a new power)
what do you guys think about Bandana Dee's forward air being inspired by the staff power in Kirby Star Allies where Kirby or the befriended enemy rapidly pokes diagonally downward? I think that'd be an awesome fair. The move is called Unrelenting Staff if anyone's confused on what I'm talking about.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Been playing Kirby Star Allies and (I'll put this in spoilers in case of anyone who hasn't played it yet and wants everything to be fresh. Has to do with a move idea inspired by a new power)
what do you guys think about Bandana Dee's forward air being inspired by the staff power in Kirby Star Allies where Kirby or the befriended enemy rapidly pokes diagonally downward? I think that'd be an awesome fair. The move is called Unrelenting Staff if anyone's confused on what I'm talking about.
I was thinking the same thing.

I actually thought they would update BD's moveset to include something from that new ability, but they didn't haha.
Kinda like how Meta Knight is sword + wing.

D

Deleted member

Oddly enough, the moveset I'm currently making for Bandana Dee takes a lot of inspiration from the Staff ability. :laugh: I think that particular move would work extremely well as either a Bair or a Fair.

Troykv

Smash Master
So....

Bandana Waddle Dee has the exact same moveset that his version in RtDL?

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Hey, hey, hey. Was watching Vinny's stream of Star Allies and guess what he said? He said why not put (Bandana) Waddle Dee in smash? Though not prioritized over other choices, maybe as a last resort type of pick. The significance of Dee not being in smash is very high, especially if noticed by Vinny of all people.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Hey, hey, hey. Was watching Vinny's stream of Star Allies and guess what he said? He said why not put (Bandana) Waddle Dee in smash? Though not prioritized over other choices, maybe as a last resort type of pick. The significance of Dee not being in smash is very high, especially if noticed by Vinny of all people.
Fellow Vinesauce fan? High five!

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Long old Bandana Dee supporter since 2013 signing in to make a mini complaint on why this beautiful render isn't available as a Switch icon.
I would so use it.

Other than that I got nothing so.
:WaddleWave:

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
I was thinking that, should they bring back custom movesets, it'd be really cool if they somehow used the elemental versions of Dee's staff attacks as variations.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Hey guys! Remember me? None of you remember me do you....

Anyway, it's been about two years since I was last here but once again, I supporting Bandana Dee for Smash all the way.

This time, I truly believe he has a great chance to be in this one. He has shown time and time again that he is not a fad and has been more prominent in the Kirby series (appearing in nearly every Kirby game since RoTD!) I really hope he can make it in.

Also, I just finished the story mode of Star Allies, as of ten minutes ago lol.
I really like it. It's definitely easier compared to the other Kirby games but it has so much charm and personality. The final boss also blew me out of the water! Definitely the best Kirby boss so far

Anyway let's hope for the best for Bandana Dee to make it in Smash this time!

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Long old Bandana Dee supporter since 2013 signing in to make a mini complaint on why this beautiful render isn't available as a Switch icon.
I would so use it.

Other than that I got nothing so.
:WaddleWave:
I hope King Dedede is buffed too. Stay strong brother :4dedede:

:kirby:

sman3579

Smash Cadet
Although I wouldn't say I necessarily want Bandana Dee in the game, I also wouldn't be opposed to his inclusion. Basically I'm indifferent to the character.

Top Bottom