• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Anop

Smash Apprentice
I can´t stand how much hate and **** this character gets from smash fans. Sure he has a lot of fans, but he also has several haters (or just people that doesn´t want him in)

Last edited:

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
I can´t stand how many hate and **** this character gets from smash fans. Sure he has a lot of fans, but he also has several haters (or just people that doesn´t want him in)
Its kind of annoying, but I suppose I can at least see where people come from. As far as crazy unique characters there are in the kirby series, its easy to see why someone might look at Bandanna Dee and just see a really cheap and bland design. Meanwhile you have all sorts of interesting designs in the kirby lore, including Gooey, the Animal friends, Adeleine, Marx, and most of the characters added to Kirby Star Allies. Im sure some people would feel cheated out of a wildly creative character if said "Goomba with a hat" got in.

But then that always ends up being the issue that people try to argue against Bandanna dee, simply that they dont like him. Pretty much they will always try to avoid actual reasoning.

Which is often the reasoning comes down to "Bandanna Dee is just a Waddle Dee with a spear and a hat." - which to a degree this is true, but we know for a fact that this waddle dee is the same waddle dee every time, which we cant say the same for characters like Yoshi or Pikachu. Neither have any indication that its the same creature everytime, we can only assume it so thats not really a problem here.

I know some people have mentioned moves might be hard to come up with? But I figure he might be able to use some items that originated from RTDL. Much like peach who ended up using the turnips that all the characters could use in that game, Bandanna Dee could pull out that cannon item you have to hold through out certain levels. Or maybe jump inside the boot with spikes in it. Both were common items to find during gameplay so I could see some of it being implemented into the specials for a throw back, or if they didnt wanna make every special move based around the spear.

StormC

Smash Hero
That part with the 4 Chan, Reddit, Gamefaqs, source gaming, smash boards. Is that people who predict him or people who want him? Like popularity?
It's popularity polls. However, I don't believe they are from the ballot era, but are from this year.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
once he gets in some has to do a meme with the fortnite dance with the quote "when you become playable in smash and people still call you a goomba with a hat"

Essora

Smash Cadet
I'm not a massive fan of Bandana Dee getting his own full-on slot, but if you gave him Kirby's normals, changed around his specials to use the spear, and made him an echo, I'd be pretty into that.

BandanaDeemon

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a massive fan of Bandana Dee getting his own full-on slot, but if you gave him Kirby's normals, changed around his specials to use the spear, and made him an echo, I'd be pretty into that.
but he can’t inhale,Kirby’s main function,I know he could have friend abilities but that’s really recent

D

Deleted member

Jibanyan's up there? Holy cow, as a Yo-Kai Watch fan pretty cool, not important back on topic Bandana Dee's chances are good.

Essora

Smash Cadet
I know my opinion isn't a popular one around these parts, and it's kind of hard to put into words, but essentially, I feel that as far as a full-fledged character is concerned, the Kirby series would be better represented by a completely different character out of the myriad of colorful and unique characters the series has to offer. Dee, by comparison, is extremely similar to Kirby from a design standpoint and to me having him echo Kirby just makes sense. It seems intuitive to me

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know my opinion isn't a popular one around these parts, and it's kind of hard to put into words, but essentially, I feel that as far as a full-fledged character is concerned, the Kirby series would be better represented by a completely different character out of the myriad of colorful and unique characters the series has to offer. Dee, by comparison, is extremely similar to Kirby from a design standpoint and to me having him echo Kirby just makes sense. It seems intuitive to me
yeah but by a similar logic youd could say that any character could be an echo of another because they're both human shaped

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Guess we’ll have to disagree on that then. I feel like some of kirby’s tilts and smashes could be used just fine (though I much prefer other options). But from a combat standpoint Kirby and Dee are absolutely nothing alike with the exception of Kirby being able to use the Spear and Parasol abilities. None of which are used in Kirby’s moveset. On top of that, Dee has never used his own body as a means of strength outside of a joke boss in SSU and Megaton Punch. He’s got a very similar body type to kirby, yes, and his design is very simple, true. But, even if his potential moveset is simple, that doesn’t make that less unique. I’m of the opinion that making him an echo, even when utiliIng his spear for some of Kirby’s specials (Inhale: What? Hammer flip: Uhhh, sure? But when I imagine it it looks waaay too goofy. That’s not how you hold a spear. Stone: Wut? Cutter: This one is the only thing I can imagine happening, but it’s a tough sell considering the animations are mostly the same, and considering the point I made with Hammer Flip, I can’t imagine it. Also SpearCopter or bust.)

Now sure, you could argue that other echoes also have out of character attacks (daisy using turnips, for example), but most of them can be explained by: Not having much to pull from (Daisy, arguably Chrom). Is extremely similar to the fighter they’re based off of for various reasons (Dark Pit, Dark Samus, Lucina) or was planned alongside another fighter and have them borrow moves from eachother (Richter).

The only point I can see being applied here is the second point due to Kirby being able to use Spear and Parasol, but again, he doesn’t have any of these moves in his own moveset, so I don’t see it applying here.

But that’s just my take on it. The way I see it, Bandana Dee as an echo is even weirder than the potential Dixie and Shadow in my eyes.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Hey guys, Isaac fan here.

I wanted to wish you guys good luck! With the likes of Ridley, K Rool, Ashley and Waluigi out of the running, your character and ours are in the running as the top runners. And with Sakurai clearly focusing on fan requests, our chances have greatly improved. I personally think Bandana Dee is adorable and would welcome him in with open arms.

I also like that he has a spear. No-one has a spear yet so it gives Sakurai a whole new playground to make moves with. And it would be nice to see all 4 of Kirby's main characters in the game.

Anywho, I'll be over in the Isaac thread wishing you guys luck. Hopefully both of our characters get in.

*high fives Bandana Dee*

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Well...in some ways I can see where you're coming from. The physical design and possibly the standard attacks. Like SupriceSupplies SupriceSupplies pointed out though, the specials are a big hurdle.

I can't think of any way to graft Kirby's specials onto him, with the possible exceptions, again as pointed out above, of Hammer and Final Cutter. Even with those, you'd still have to fully change 2, and you couldn't just graft on another fighter's moves like with Chrom. I'm not sure where Sakurai draws the line between full newcomer and echo, but it seems like changing that much would push him out of echo territory.

I'm interested in your idea of how this could be done. Not dismissing echo Dee at all, just genuinely curious.

D

Deleted member

Say do you guys know which top smash players are big supporters of wanting bandana waddle dee in smash ultimate?

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
Say do you guys know which top smash players are big supporters of wanting bandana waddle dee in smash ultimate?
Not that I know of, no.

I just know that he's made it to being one of Japan's most requested characters, if not the most. That alone could possibly get him in the game.

StormC

Smash Hero
Not to anybody else.

Essora

Smash Cadet
Well...in some ways I can see where you're coming from. The physical design and possibly the standard attacks. Like SupriceSupplies SupriceSupplies pointed out though, the specials are a big hurdle.

I can't think of any way to graft Kirby's specials onto him, with the possible exceptions, again as pointed out above, of Hammer and Final Cutter. Even with those, you'd still have to fully change 2, and you couldn't just graft on another fighter's moves like with Chrom. I'm not sure where Sakurai draws the line between full newcomer and echo, but it seems like changing that much would push him out of echo territory.

I'm interested in your idea of how this could be done. Not dismissing echo Dee at all, just genuinely curious.
My idea would be to keep all Kirby's normals and similar physical stats like run speed and weight, and change the specials. Down b could even be a downward spear thrust similar to Kirby's rock, but the rest are a bit of a different story. If done it would definitely be pushing the boundaries of what an echo can be

I did forget to mention, Chrom and dark pit are somewhat setting the precedent that echoes can have different specials, but we're still not sure how far the definition can be stretched

Last edited by a moderator:

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
My idea would be to keep all Kirby's normals and similar physical stats like run speed and weight, and change the specials. Down b could even be a downward spear thrust similar to Kirby's rock, but the rest are a bit of a different story. If done it would definitely be pushing the boundaries of what an echo can be
Even keeping his aerials and everything else besides the specials would take away from him being a new and fun fighter. There's already a an entire crowd of people trying to strip him of anything unique just so they can continue to reuse the generic argument. If anything, Sakurai would have to stick with his usage of the spear, and maybe add in other ideas to keep him fresh, such as using items from Return to Dreamland. Making Bandana Dee an echo would only fuel the argument that he's irrelevant, even though that isn't the case at all.

Essora

Smash Cadet
Even keeping his aerials and everything else besides the specials would take away from him being a new and fun fighter. There's already a an entire crowd of people trying to strip him of anything unique just so they can continue to reuse the generic argument. If anything, Sakurai would have to stick with his usage of the spear, and maybe add in other ideas to keep him fresh, such as using items from Return to Dreamland. Making Bandana Dee an echo would only fuel the argument that he's irrelevant, even though that isn't the case at all.
Speaking as a Chrom supporter, I don't think his echo status detracts from the character even though they could have given him a unique personalized moveset. I was just happy to see him in

Speaking as a Chrom supporter, I don't think his echo status detracts from the character even though they could have given him a unique personalized moveset. I was just happy to see him in
Or, let me put it this way: would you love him less if he were an echo?

StormC

Smash Hero
Chrom is the next of many sword fighters. Bandana Dee would be the first spear fighter in Smash and you're telling me should be an echo?

D

Deleted member

That reassures me Marx probably won't be chosen over Dee. I've had that lingering fear he'd be chosen over him, but those polls tell me otherwise.
It's worth noting that Marx only became a popular choice after Star Allies, which is too recent for Sakurai's consideration. At this point Magolor is still the number two pick.

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
Or, let me put it this way: would you love him less if he were an echo?
Although many people who are against Bandana Dee would see him worth less, no. I would not think less of Bandana Dee.

However, the views of detractors are not what matters. There's no specific reason Bandana Dee has to be an echo fighter. He's his own character, and a unique move set is something that would fit him the best. It's not entirely hard for Sakurai to work with a new move set for him, since HAL has done just that so far. :laugh:

He has a fleshed out fighting style given to him in Return to Dreamland, Battle Royale has expounded the fact how he can work with more than one weapon, (so even his aerials and jabs could work differently) and there are so many items in the games that he could use for himself. Bandana Dee is prominently a spear and parasol-based fighter, so that in itself sets him apart from Kirby. Kirby is portrayed mostly as a brawler in the Smash franchise, while Bandana Dee hasn't been shown in the games to use his fists to get up close and personal with enemies. In fact, the only time we really see him use his fists are in Megaton Punch, which would work as a well-fittng final smash if anything.

Sakurai has shown that any character can be fleshed out if they have enough potential, and given the potential Bandana Dee has pulled from across eleven Kirby games, I'm sure there's no need for Bandana Dee to be an echo of anyone. He's earned the right to do his own thing. :smash:

Last edited:

Essora

Smash Cadet
Chrom is the next of many sword fighters. Bandana Dee would be the first spear fighter in Smash and you're telling me should be an echo?
I mean, yeah pretty much. Please keep in mind these are just my personal opinions as somebody on the outside looking in, I have no real attachment to Bandana Dee but that doesn't mean I have anything against him either, nor do I intend any malice in this thread by suggesting he could be included as an echo. I've no doubt he has enough potential unique moves to have his own character, just as I believe he could also be tuned into an echo. Just try to look objectively at all the possibilities, friends

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
It's worth noting that Marx only became a popular choice after Star Allies, which is too recent for Sakurai's consideration. At this point Magolor is still the number two pick.
I don't know. I'd argue for DLC Marx is the solid best choice (Assuming we get Bandana Dee in the base game). Marx came from Super Star, meaning he's Sakurai's creation and know's how he'd "dance" perfectly.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I only know of a few Youtube/Twitch personalities that would like to see him (and a speedrunner as well, clip is here). The biggest of them are probably Alpharad (#9 on his top-10 wishlist, though he would prefer Marx as a kirby character), Antdude (#10 on his top 10 list), and Vinny. (Though he's more like "yeah he'd be cool but I'd rather see other characters.")

StormC

Smash Hero
I mean, yeah pretty much. Please keep in mind these are just my personal opinions as somebody on the outside looking in, I have no real attachment to Bandana Dee but that doesn't mean I have anything against him either, nor do I intend any malice in this thread by suggesting he could be included as an echo. I've no doubt he has enough potential unique moves to have his own character, just as I believe he could also be tuned into an echo. Just try to look objectively at all the possibilities, friends
I’ve looked at the possibility objectively and it sucks and will never happen.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
You could potentially use Moon Drop for this. But I find this one personally rather unconvincing considering there has to be a grounded version as well. And the way Moon Drop works is, well, you should probably see it for yourself.

With how many animations have to be changed in just the specials, I just can't imagine him being an echo fighter. Like you said, his normals can easily work for Bandana Dee due to their similar body shapes, but his specials are a whole different story. The way I see it, echo fighters are quick additions that require minimal changes from the fighter they're based off of, with one or two tweaks to make them stand out just a little. For Bandana Dee as an echo of kirby, you'd have to change *all* his specials in hitboxes, animations, etc. that the dev team would probably decide to not make him an echo fighter at all if they considered it. Not to mention he'd require a completely different move for his neutral special which you can't really base off of another fighter in the game.

If he somehow *were* an echo? I mean, cool, I guess. But considering his creative uses of the spear and also being able to wield a parasol are the main reasons I want him in in the first place, I wouldn't really be as excited myself.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
It's funny that everybody is talking about a potential Dee echo because there's this brand new leak floating around 4chan that's got that very thing.

Capture.PNG

The only reason I'm even mentioning it is because it's given itself a very short 8 hour time limit (it was posted 2 1/2 hours ago) when this video on the Smash channel will supposedly have its title changed.

I don't believe for a second that they would give the Dee the echo treatment with the fanbase he's got behind him, and the current video actually has the correct name as is, but might as well bring it up while it's still a fresh topic. It happened once with Bloody Tears, so for all we know, it could happen again.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
It's funny that everybody is talking about a potential Dee echo because there's this brand new leak floating around 4chan that's got that very thing.

View attachment 158376

The only reason I'm even mentioning it is because it's given itself a very short 8 hour time limit (it was posted 2 1/2 hours ago) when this video on the Smash channel will supposedly have its title changed.

I don't believe for a second that they would give the Dee the echo treatment with the fanbase he's got behind him, and the current video actually has the correct name as is, but might as well bring it up while it's still a fresh topic. It happened once with Bloody Tears, so for all we know, it could happen again.
Other than the fact it's just another random-ass 4chan leak and the music thingy you mentioned. I just want to point something out that should immediately dispel any doubts about it being fake, just in case.

>DLC to be announced November.
There's no way in hell they're already planning DLC.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Other than the fact it's just another random-*** 4chan leak and the music thingy you mentioned. I just want to point something out that should immediately dispel any doubts about it being fake, just in case.

>DLC to be announced November.
There's no way in hell they're already planning DLC.
It's a long shot for sure. Sakurai likes to have his games feel complete before they're shipped out. Though Mewtwo was announced around the time of Smash 4's launch, that felt like a special case where a character was planned for the base game but couldn't be finished in time so they were set aside as DLC. All they had was a model to show, so clearly they had just started development. Only way DLC happens that early is if time constraints happen again.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So, there's a relatively unknown thing called "EclairCity" that was put on the IARC ratings quite some time ago. HAL put Robobot on the ratings board as "TorteCity", so we know that's how they do codenames for things they don't want to announce yet, so I think it's reasonable to say this is likely them. Now, what's interesting here is that this game was approved merely a single day after Star Allies.

Now, this doesn't have to mean anything, really, and it could be completely unrelated to Kirby but the reason I'm sharing this is because I wanna make a bold prediction: I think we could be seeing a expansion/DLC coming. If we're getting a DLC instead of just a normal wave, I'd imagine it would get at least some time in a direct to spotlight it, and wouldn't that be the perfect time to reveal Bandana Dee?
Also, I think Dark Matter and Zero are likely coming back in Wave 3 (Hyper Zone was in Wave 1, Dark Star was in Wave 2, ??? in Wave 3?), I'd imagine if we're really getting a DLC it's going to feature at least Zero since he's being built up and there's the case of Hyness and the Jambastion Mages having Dream Friend data, there'd have to be a new antagonist for them to fight right? So there's also that to look forward to.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
So, there's a relatively unknown thing called "EclairCity" that was put on the IARC ratings quite some time ago. HAL put Robobot on the ratings board as "TorteCity", so we know that's how they do codenames for things they don't want to announce yet, so I think it's reasonable to say this is likely them. Now, what's interesting here is that this game was approved merely a single day after Star Allies.

Now, this doesn't have to mean anything, really, and it could be completely unrelated to Kirby but the reason I'm sharing this is because I wanna make a bold prediction: I think we could be seeing a expansion/DLC coming. If we're getting a DLC instead of just a normal wave, I'd imagine it would get at least some time in a direct to spotlight it, and wouldn't that be the perfect time to reveal Bandana Dee?
Also, I think Dark Matter and Zero are likely coming back in Wave 3 (Hyper Zone was in Wave 1, Dark Star was in Wave 2, ??? in Wave 3?), I'd imagine if we're really getting a DLC it's going to feature at least Zero since he's being built up and there's the case of Hyness and the Jambastion Mages having Dream Friend data, there'd have to be a new antagonist for them to fight right? So there's also that to look forward to.
Now THAT is interesting. Maybe it's a Bandana Dee subgame, like we were talking about before? At the very least, there's no way it isn't about Kirby, based on its proximity to Star Allies and similarity in codenames.

What's more, by the time (presumedly) of the online Direct, likely next month, the last dream friend wave will have been out for over a month--the perfect time to tease the final wave. All of that put together could very well tie in perfectly with a Bdee reveal.

This is an amazing find. About time we had a solid Dee conspiracy theory!

Top Bottom