• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
It's been announced today that Bandana Waddle Dee will be appearing on a stylised hoodie alongside Dedede, Taranza, Kirby, and Magolor, as part of an "art museum" event being held to celebrate the launch of the Kirby 25th Anniversary Art & Style Collection book. As you can see in the image, Bandana Waddle Dee is, of course, at Dedede's right-hand side.

The hoodie is manufactured by San-ei, and will be exclusive to the store where the event is being held, unfortunately, so it's not likely that any import-retailers will be picking this one up.

That said, when San-ei produces exclusive clothing for events, sometimes it's only the colourway that's exclusive, and an alternate colour becomes available, usually from Amazon Japan, later on. Otherwise, if anyone wants one, you're probably going to have to use a proxy-service in order to bid on one on Yahoo! Auctions Japan.

EDIT: We also now have confirmation that, by transferring data from the Kirby Battle Royale demo to the full game, Meta Knight will be unlocked, seemingly as a playable character (footage here). This strongly suggests that the same could apply to Bandana Waddle Dee under some other condition, as well!

EDIT: As this video shows, Bandana Waddle Dee clearly has a lot of dialogue in the Kirby Battle Royale demo! Also, the game is using his full name of Bandana Waddle Dee, as Kirby Triple Deluxe and Kirby: Planet Robobot did, as opposed to shortening it to simply Waddle Dee, as sometimes used to be the case. The game's looking like quite a good re-use of the engine from Kirby 3D Rumble/Kirby's Blowout Blast, too.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Bandana Waddle Dee has just put in an appearance in the newest posting from the Kirby 25th Anniversary Twitter account, with some new artwork showing him presiding over a game of Tug-of-War at the Dream Land athletic-meet.

Wow, never took Kirby to be THAT kind of person. Hopefully, he just doesn't know any better....

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
downloaded the battle royal demo, seems our favourite wadle dee does have his own parasol and he and kirby may yet compete

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I won't link to or discuss anything spoilery here, but I've seen some footage from Kirby Battle Royale, since it's out in this region now, and I noticed something cute and amusing: There's now an official shorthand for Bandana Waddle Dee's name, and it's "B.W. Dee".

I figured that it was worth mentioning, because the bandana-clad one's very long name has prompted discussions in the past regarding how it could be condensed for certain elements of Smash's user-interface, were he to get into the game, and now there's an official solution to that.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I figured that it was worth mentioning, because the bandana-clad one's very long name has prompted discussions in the past regarding how it could be condensed for certain elements of Smash's user-interface, were he to get into the game, and now there's an official solution to that.
If Mr. Game & Watch doesn't get shortened, I don't see why Bandana Waddle Dee would.

Maybe as Bandana Dee because that name appeared every once in a while, but it'd be weird to see his name shortened when no one else's is.

EDIT: I forgot R.O.B., but then again, "Robotic Operating Buddy" is both a mouthful and a really long name. Plus, the initials do make an actual sound ("rob"), something Bandana Dee lacks. (B.W.D... Bewd?)

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
If Mr. Game & Watch doesn't get shortened, I don't see why Bandana Waddle Dee would.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with this, and it's actually my own view on it, too. ;)

I mentioned it entirely because, for whatever reason, it's something that used to come up, and I thought that it was an interesting closure to the old topic of what they could use when shortening the name.

Maybe as Bandana Dee because that name appeared every once in a while, but it'd be weird to see his name shortened when no one else's is.
To the best of my knowledge "Bandana Dee" has never been used officially - only Bandana Waddle Dee, or, formerly, just plain Waddle Dee.

EDIT: I forgot R.O.B., but then again, "Robotic Operating Buddy" is both a mouthful and a really long name. Plus, the initials do make an actual sound ("rob"), something Bandana Dee lacks. (B.W.D... Bewd?)
R.O.B. was usually referred to as R.O.B. during his time as a NES accessory, to be fair - I'm sure that the intent was for the initials to sound like a name. :laugh:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
To the best of my knowledge "Bandana Dee" has never been used officially - only Bandana Waddle Dee, or, formerly, just plain Waddle Dee.
Well... it's kind of a stretch but...

upload_2017-11-3_14-42-24.png

With that said, whatever is name is in Smash really doesn't matter. We'll still recognize him with that bandana :p

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Well... it's kind of a stretch but...

That's not a stretch - I actually wasn't aware of that! :laugh:

That's actually really cool.

With that said, whatever is name is in Smash really doesn't matter. We'll still recognize him with that bandana :p
Yep, he'd be pretty difficult to miss! :laugh:

I suppose the bigger question these days is: Spear, parasol, or both?

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I still prefer the Spear, but it's cool that he has more moveset potential now.

Also:

I just watched some videos and Bandana Dee is NOT playable!

What?!

The playable one is just a regular Waddle Dee that has the blue parasol, probably thanks to the amiibo.

Meh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeUXTZk2Tuc

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I just watched some videos and Bandana Dee is NOT playable!

What?!

The playable one is just a regular Waddle Dee that has the blue parasol, probably thanks to the amiibo.

Meh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeUXTZk2Tuc
Aw! I thought that the datamining of the demo already showed that Bandana Waddle Dee is playable? Is he really not? :(

Also...

It looks like Bandana Waddle Dee might not be working for Dedede anymore!

I noticed these things from footage that I've watched;

1: Bandana Waddle Dee mentions in the intro that he walked all night to try to reach the stadium where Dedede's Cake Royale is being held. If he were royal staff, he would've been a lot closer to it!

2: B.W. Dee no longer refers to Dedede as "Great King". He only addresses him as King Dedede, or Your Majesty. In Revenge of the King, in Kirby Super Star Ultra, Bandana Waddle Dee addressed Dedede solely as Great King. Nothing else about Bandana Waddle Dee's mannerisms or speech-patterns appears to have changed in Kirby Battle Royale.

3: Most notably of all of these things, Dedede's tone and body-language when he confronts Kirby and Bandana Waddle Dee seems to suggest that Bandana Waddle Dee is no longer in his employ. He expresses frustration that Kirby and B.W. Dee have gotten as far as they have, and he gets quite irate about it. Bandana Waddle Dee even calls Dedede out for being unfair, and Dedede pretty much says that it's his tournament and he'll do what he wants. However, his ire does mainly seem to be directed at Kirby, so it may just be Dedede's grudge from old times, about losing to Kirby back in the first game, getting the better of him, here.

Unless this is all taking place during B.W. Dee's time off of work, then I don't think that he's working for Dedede anymore, at least from the information presented in this game. :p

Last edited:

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
A new trailer for Kirby Battle Royale, hosted by BD and Susie :drflip:
Yeah, they actually talk in japanese, I don't know what they're saying, but they sound cute anyways :dr^_^:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, they actually talk in japanese, I don't know what they're saying, but they sound cute anyways :dr^_^:
Goodness me, that's cute. :laugh:

It's a much nicer way of introducing the game's features than that employed by the English trailers, I think, but it wouldn't work outside of Japan, since it directly follows on from the workings of the Kirby 25th Anniversary Twitter account.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Holy Waddle Dees! B.D. FINALLY has a voice (in audio)! And it's adorable as all get-out, to boot!!

Say, does anyone know who voices him here? Whoever it is, she sounds like she's REALLY trying to channel her "inner Yuko Mizutani" here.

Also, Susie sounds so cute, too!

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
That was Deelightfully cute.
I like that Japan has really been utilizing Bandana Dee a lot on their twitter in the promotion of battle royale.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
A bit late, but I hope everyone in the Bandana Brigade had a merry Christmas (or whatever other holiday you may celebrate this time of year)
I got Battle Royale as a Christmas present and am having a lot of fun with it.

even if I don't like B.W.Dee having a parasol now...

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
A bit late, but I hope everyone in the Bandana Brigade had a merry Christmas (or whatever other holiday you may celebrate this time of year)
I got Battle Royale as a Christmas present and am having a lot of fun with it.

even if I don't like B.W.Dee having a parasol now...
Can't blame you, the spear is B.W. Dee's iconic weapon. I had a great Christmas myself;)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i too got battle royal for christmas and just finished the story mode yesterday and it has reinforced my desire to see b. w. dee in smash perhaps with both the spear and parasol and certainly with some of that alt headgear from the game

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Is it worth full price? When the game was announced, I thought it would be something cheap like Kirby blowout blast, not something full priced.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Is it worth full price? When the game was announced, I thought it would be something cheap like Kirby blowout blast, not something full priced.
Just depends on how much you enjoy Kirby games and multiplayer. For one person, the game probably won't hold an appeal very long. However, if you have other people who can play with you, the fun might stretch out a little longer. January and Febuary seems to be a very dry season for video games. If there's nothing else you have your eye on, I would suggest looking into it. If you aren't convinced to pay full price, you can always wait and buy it later when it's on sale.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
i too got battle royal for christmas and just finished the story mode yesterday and it has reinforced my desire to see b. w. dee in smash perhaps with both the spear and parasol and certainly with some of that alt headgear from the game
The alternate headgear actually represents different characters, though, such as the Animal Waddle Dees from a recent merchandise-line, the barista from the Kirby Cafe, one of the female members of the audience from the Kirby 25th Anniversary Orchestra Concert, Sailor Waddle Dee from Meta Knight's crew, and so on.

I wouldn't want to see Bandana Waddle Dee having to slot-share with minor side-characters, personally.

I wouldn't even want to see him slot-sharing with Sailor Waddle Dee, even though he's pretty cool, because that simply wouldn't fit due to the fact that Sailor Waddle Dee is a coward. :laugh:

It's probably worth looking up gameplay videos to try to determine this.

Also, bear in mind that the online-play is regioned, if that would make a difference to your purchasing decision - you can only play against people from your own part of the world, rather than globally, unfortunately.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The alternate headgear actually represents different characters, though, such as the Animal Waddle Dees from a recent merchandise-line, the barista from the Kirby Cafe, one of the female members of the audience from the Kirby 25th Anniversary Orchestra Concert, Sailor Waddle Dee from Meta Knight's crew, and so on.
i dont think thatll matter to much in smash

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
personally i dont nintendo sees each waddle dee separately
Except they, and their creators at HAL Laboratory, clearly do - and there doesn't seem to be any way to interpret otherwise from how they're handled and marketed. ;)

That's like saying that Nintendo doesn't see the various Toad characters as separate, when that's clearly not the case either.

Waddle Dees are the species as a whole.

Then there are certain Waddle Dees working in the employ of major characters, such as Sailor Waddle Dee in Meta Knight's crew, and Bandana Waddle Dee as Dedede's bodyguard - these two are, figuratively speaking, at the top of the heap, as the games have shown more of their personalities than they have of any other Waddle Dee characters. And there's the collective royal-guard, as well - some of whom recently got new soldier hats to distinguish them from the rest, as seen in Kirby Battle Royale.

Then there's the TV-crew from Channel PPP, who debuted on, and hosted, the Kirby 25th Anniversary Twitter account.

The Animal Waddle Dees have been shown to live in forests.

And then there's the general public, as seen just about everywhere else - there's the concert-audience crowd that I mentioned before, the inhabitants of the cities in Kirby: Planet Robobot, the ones that you find hiding in unusual places goofing off when you've uncovered an Easter Egg in a game, and so on.

Almost all of this (barring stuff like the Twitter account) is easily picked up just from what's presented in the games.

And again, why would they put a girl who's watching a concert or a guy who works at a coffee-shop in Smash as alts for a character who is actually shown to be a fighter? :p They're literally minor characters from spin-off merchandise that almost certainly won't be released outside of Japan, all of it already retired and out-of-print.

I don't know about everyone else, but, come what may, I'd personally like to see Bandana Waddle Dee in Smash as Bandana Waddle Dee, not as a genericised representative for his entire species. ;)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
my point was even if they are "separate characters" i doubt itll matter when it comes to alts in smash look at koopalings

and toad thing is that there's no "the toad" to nintendo

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
my point was even if they are "separate characters" i doubt itll matter when it comes to alts in smash look at koopalings
I know, but there's a very big difference: The Koopalings are very famous characters with a similar build to Bowser Jr., and thus it was determined that they could be made to fit into Smash in this way.

The posh girl watching an orchestra, the guy who works at the coffee-shop, and the bumpkin who lives in the forest aren't famous, and also aren't associated with fighting. They appeared on some Kirby 25th Anniversary merchandise.

My point is that, unless Bandana Waddle Dee were to be downgraded to some sort of generic representative of his species - merely one alt of many - instead of being himself, then these separate characters wouldn't fit as alts for him.

But there are demonstrably multiple "the" Waddle Dee characters. ;)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Actually, there is. According to Nintendo, "the Toad" is the guy sporting red spots and a blue vest. Every Toad who's been playable in spin-offs and fits that description is intended to be the same person.

It's... confusing to say the least.

I know, but there's a very big difference: The Koopalings are very famous characters with a similar build to Bowser Jr., and thus it was determined that they could be made to fit into Smash in this way.

The posh girl watching an orchestra, the guy who works at the coffee-shop, and the bumpkin who lives in the forest aren't famous, and also aren't associated with fighting. They appeared on some Kirby 25th Anniversary merchandise.

My point is that, unless Bandana Waddle Dee were to be downgraded to some sort of generic representative of his species - merely one alt of many - instead of being himself, then these separate characters wouldn't fit as alts for him.

But there are demonstrably multiple "the" Waddle Dee characters. ;)
It could still work, but it might cause some confusion among Kirby fans. Bandana Dee, by comparison, is far more generic than Kirby or Dedede. Even if they included someone like Sailor Dee for instance, we'd have no idea if it's a separate character or just Bandana Dee wearing a different outfit. Someone would have to point it out for us in-game, similar to how Polari was confirmed to be one of the Lumas that fights with Rosalina.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Actually, there is. According to Nintendo, "the Toad" is the guy sporting red spots and a blue vest. Every Toad who's been playable in spin-offs and fits that description is intended to be the same person.

That's what I thought was the case. :laugh:

It could still work, but it might cause some confusion among Kirby fans. Bandana Dee, by comparison, is far more generic than Kirby or Dedede. Even if they included someone like Sailor Dee for instance, we'd have no idea if it's a separate character or just Bandana Dee wearing a different outfit. Someone would have to point it out for us in-game, similar to how Polari was confirmed to be one of the Lumas that fights with Rosalina.
Yeah, but that would still have the same issues as above - Bandana Waddle Dee is defined by particular abilities that are above those of other regular Waddle Dees, and those aren't really shared with the others. To represent others would necessitate not properly representing Bandana Waddle Dee - effectively having him "living in the shadow" of those that he's slot-sharing with (as opposed to the usual issue with slot-sharing, which tends to go the other way).

It makes me wonder why they would want to muddle and potentially damage their canon by allowing that to be done in Smash, and I personally find it difficult to imagine that they would. The Kirby series has a brand-management team these days for this reason - to make sure that the characters are depicted as accurately as possible in media outside of their home-games.

They didn't even have Bandana Waddle Dee playable in Kirby Battle Royale, even though he's the deuteragonist of the game's Story Mode, so that he wasn't slot-sharing with the unknown, unimportant spin-off Waddle Dee characters from the cafe and concert merchandise, and so on.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so what your saying is you dont want bandana dee wearing outfits like in battle royal because you think theyd only work if it was a generic waddle dee as opposed to bandana dee wearing those outfits?

all i said was id like to see him with some of those outfits from battle royal

ive seen this conversation a million times in the toad thread the fans care way more than nintendo

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
so what your saying is you dont want bandana dee wearing outfits like in battle royal because you think theyd only work if it was a generic waddle dee as opposed to bandana dee wearing those outfits?

all i said was id like to see him with some of those outfits from battle royal
I'm pointing out that those "outfits" aren't just outfits - they're literally the signature clothing of other Waddle Dee characters, since clothing's the main way that they're differentiated. They're not just clothes that they all wear.

With Waddle Dees, an outfit typically represents a specific one - with obvious exceptions like the soldiers, since that's a uniform.

To include those "outfits" means that those characters are being included. Those side-characters are not Bandana Waddle Dee, and they don't share the abilities that he's been established to have in the mainline games. Accordingly, those characters wouldn't fit as alts for him, unless Bandana Waddle Dee was reduced into being one representative of several for his entire species.

ive seen this conversation a million times in the toad thread the fans care way more than nintendo
I think you'd be surprised by just how much companies whose strength is their IP, actually do care about their IPs and what goes into them. ;)

Top Bottom