• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Baiting tactic

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
As obvious as this tactic seems, it actually works. Even if the opponent is well aware that Magnet can hurt them when it goes away. I should know-I played a Lucas player who I got this tactic from, and actually fell for it mutliple times until I learned that it actually worked.

Requirements:
-There must be a sufficient amount of space between you and your opponent for you to react when they approach.
-Opponent must not possess a projectile that can go through Magnet.

Execution:
-Hold out a Magnet
-Watch as your opponent runs right at you
-As they enter the "hitbox" of Magnet, release it and snicker to yourself as they fly backwards.
-For more lulz, try and follow up with a PKF at lower percentages(this combo should work, as Magnet has insane hitstun, and it counted it as consecutive hits in training mode)

Notes:
-Do not use this in excess, or your opponent will get wise to it and not take the bait as you want them to. They will most likely jump over you, rendering the tactic useless.

-The timing on this is crucial, and an opponent who uses a dash attack has posed problems for me in the past. However, most opponents usually intend to use the dash attack once they get point blank, and they will enter Magnet's hitbox long before then.

Levitas

the moon
this only works once against someone who's never heard of lucas.

That said, I got it against anther once... It was the first brawl tournament that we hosted, and it was funny like nothing else.

Professional Idiot

Smash Apprentice
I like doing this too, but in most situations, other players will not run at a PSI magnet for no reason; wouldn't a non-absorbable projectile be a much better approach?

I think it's more effective to dash at an opponent, and as they are about to counterattack, short-hop forwards and hold down PSI magnet for an evasive midair stall. Then, using the momentum accumulated during the hop, allow the PSI magnet to drift into them, and let it go. I've done this a few times to KO people. It was amusing.

plasmid

Smash Apprentice
I've also used this in another way. I opened it up then let go, and my friend as Lucario, figuring I wouldn't open it up again immediately, shot his full charged aura sphere right into my newly reopened mag. Did it a couple times, but then he caught on, so basically only good once.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
I like doing this too, but in most situations, other players will not run at a PSI magnet for no reason; wouldn't a non-absorbable projectile be a much better approach?

I think it's more effective to dash at an opponent, and as they are about to counterattack, short-hop forwards and hold down PSI magnet for an evasive midair stall. Then, using the momentum accumulated during the hop, allow the PSI magnet to drift into them, and let it go. I've done this a few times to KO people. It was amusing.
This is why I listed in the requirements that the opponent cannot have a non-absorbable projectile.

Top Bottom