• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BACK ON: Columbia, MD - May 31 - Cyberden

Spitfire668

Smash Cadet
SMASH BROS 1v1/2v2 TOURNAMENT @ CYBERDEN in COLUMBIA, MD!

-Date: May 31, 2008. *Saturday* @ 2PM, sign ups by 1:00, Pre-Registration starts April 10th-May 30th.

- IF YOU ARE NOT HERE BY 2PM AT THE LATEST YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SIGN UP, UNLESS YOU HAVE CALLED AHEAD AND WILL BE NO MORE THEN 15 MINUTES LATER(2:15), BUT YOU MUST CALL AHEAD FIRST. I will not put the tourney on hold for anyone, seeing as how we are already starting pretty late.

-Starting at Noon as long as your signed up for the Tournament the 4 wii's we have will be set to free play for practice rounds.

-Location: Cyberden, 6410 Dobbin Road in Columbia, MD. 21045. Easiest way to find it is to follow the signs to the MVA Express! Or, just Mapquest it.

-Price: Venue fee- $5 pre-register, $10 at the door.
Singles-$10(all to pot)
Doubles-$10 per person(all to pot)
If you bring your own system and game the venue fee will be reduced by $5. Component ables recomended as it is our set up. This is only god for the first 8 people.

RULES:
- 3 Stock
- 6 Minute time limit
- Team Attack on(doubles)
- Life Stealing allowed(doubles)
- Items off
- Double Elimination
- Best of 3. Finals are best of 5.
- Prize is a 70, 20, 10 split.

-In the event of time running out, the player with the most stock wins. If both players have the same stock, the player with the lowest percentage wins. If both players have the same percentage, the match will restart with 1 stock each.

-Character selection will be a double blind pick first match, second and third match winner chooses character first then loser choses who they would like to counter with.

-Seeding will be random.

-Stage selection shall be random on one of the neutral stages for 1st match, and following matches will be chosen by the loser of the previous round between the neutral stages or one of the counterpick stages.

Stages:

Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island [Brawl]
Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages:
Luigi's Mansion
Halberd
Castle Siege
Distant Planet
Green Hill Zone
Onett
Corneria
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Brinstar
Jungle Japes
Frigate Orpheon
Delfino Plaza

(All other stages are not to be chosen.)

-Finals and Semi-Finals will be Final Destination.

-You do not have to, but it is recommended to BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER and extenders if it is a wired controller. We have 4 Wii's with 4 copies of SSBB all fully unlocked.

-People bringing Wii's-
-Joe S.
-Apze
-Coney
-Pyronic Star + friend
-Still need 3 more.

-(Any questions or suggestions please send an email to spitfire668@gmail.com or visit the Cyberden forums)

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
You may want to think about Rescheduling. C3 in ashburn is throwing a major that weekend, and for certain brawl will be on the list. It will be a 2 day tourney, so there's a chance brawl will be on one day or the other. Keep a look out.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
Renegade, I don't think you can use that hori joystick because the stick might not be analog

Spitfire668

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the look out renegade. I will check it out and we might change the date. So keep an eye out here for any updates.

hova

Smash Champion
these rules seem terrible. everything is going to be best of 1 until finals?

and why is WarioWare allowed of all stages? have you all played the game?

Jump20X6

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, not to be a jerk, but your rules suck. Why are Wario Ware and Skyworld on and not FD and Yoshi's Island?

You say you get a discount for preregistration, but how many people do you think are doing to drive down there the day before just to save 5 bucks? Is there an option to register online? Does the venue really care if someone signs up one day sooner that much, even when realistically most people will just show up the day of? Seems a little exploitative to me.

Also, the entire tournament should be double elimination, best 2 out of 3. Most tournaments then do finals best of 5. And if you're only doing singles, would there be any harm in doing pools to seed? Your rules make it possible for someone to only play two matches and then be out completely.

Oh, and do we need to bring setups? Does the venue have Wii's with copies of smash and everything unlocked?

I think you need to retool this whole thing. Edit your first post with updated information, rules, and regulations. Look at other tournaments to see what the general consensus is on stages, seeding, and brackets are. Give us links to where we can sign up online, if it's available. Widen the preregistration window if you can. 24 hours to do in person isn't nearly enough. Oh yeah, and check your post for typos before you put it up. Battlfield is not an actual stage.

If you clean this up then I'm sure you'll see me there. If not, I'd rather just have a smashfest with my friends.

hova

Smash Champion
i work like 10mins from the venue and can help ya'll out, but you didnt' really seem too open to that last time.

Spitfire668

Smash Cadet
It wasnt that I wasn't open to the the idea, it was the fact that it was my first tourney and didnt exactly know what was going on in the begining. I am open to help and segestion always. Sorry if it came off any other way I was just a little stressed at the moment.

Spitfire668

Smash Cadet
No need to ask Neko, i was the one behind the counter when you ran our last one. I would be more then happy to have your help, but I can run it this time so you can actually focus on competing.

Kaotical

Smash Ace
LOL Chin, your rules make me wanna crap myself. (j/k)

Spitfire, I wish I lived closer to Cyberden. For me, that place is like crack. If at anytime you need help through the tourney, I'm sure anyone there will be more than willing to help cuz all we want is for this shyz to run smoothly. ^_^

hova

Smash Champion
if we can get things up and running, you can definitely hold a tourney every month and expect a turnout of about 40-70 on average

let me know a good night to stop by and we can go over everything in person

Spitfire668

Smash Cadet
Cyberden is like crack, I have been coming here since it opened. I am lucky in that I dont like an hour and a half away though.

Hova, I work Monday-Friday 2pm-8pm so anytime in there is good to meet up here really. A monthly tournament has been my goal for awhile but needed more practice (obviously).

Noob question real quick too, what exactlly is pool seeding??? All we have done here is random really.

Naes Draw

Smash Rookie
Any ideas on skill levels of people who will be there?
Amount of people?
I wouldn't mind doing this maybe, but I've never done one.

I better start practicing.

Also, can we change our controls? I just want to change one thing.

Spitfire668

Smash Cadet
Pre-registration is available starting April 10th going until May 23rd in store only. I am still working on online registration but it probably wont be up until after the tournament.

Jump20X6

Smash Apprentice
So is this still happening or what? C3 just scheduled a tournament for the same day, for the same price.

Yeah, this post is basically more of a bump to see what other people want to do.

Spitfire668

Smash Cadet
Yes this is still on. Sucks that C3 is also holding a tournament for the same day. Maybe I can push it back a a week, not sure yet. I will know by Wednesday. And thanks for the bump.

hova

Smash Champion
make it Saturday 24!!!

you guys might also want to invest in more extension cords or think about bringing Wii's out from behind the wall just for tournies. it was a small issue last time

i'd also probably come here over C3, just to support a new venue and I also prefer the drive and food options near by

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
although no one knows me, i'll be here...... its close to where i'll be after the semester anyway i can pre-register without going to the store?

Jump20X6

Smash Apprentice
Well, considering that I didn't like the C3 venue very much and the fact that the drive is closer, I think I'll have to come to this if the dates stay the same.

I don't suppose we could expand the counterpick list a tad. Take a look at some other tourney's rulesets for what to add. I always argue for having Norfair on when it's not included, and there's no reason Electroplankton should be banned either. Norfair's hazards are easy to avoid, and Electroplankton doesn't even have ANY. All it has is a different platform layout. A few others I think got left off, but those two are ones I noticed first (since I actually play on them).

Also, I don't know if anyone is even going to be on campus on the 25th, but if anyone from College Park needs a ride I can fit 3-4 extra people in my car.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Jump you wanna team for this? I thought we made a pretty good team at the CP tourney playing Rebel and Meta****. Also same question if you're going to Critical Hit this weekend.

Jump20X6

Smash Apprentice
If my brother doesn't come, then I could team with you. However, it doesn't look like there's going to be teams for this tourney. It just says 1v1.

I actually won't be going to Critical Hit 2, unfortunately. I've got three major essays and all my finals coming up, and I need to focus on school.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Oh haha I didn't even realize they didn't say teams. That's unusual.

Spitfire can you add 2v2s to this? Turnout will probably be low considering the date, so time shouldn't be a problem as long as it's decently well organized. If you do move it back a week, an earlier start time would be ideal.

Spitfire668

Smash Cadet
Ok, pushed back to May 31st. Thats the next saturday. Pushed up to 2pm from 4pm. And adding 2v2. Also working on the maps and a few other details. Essentially check back tomarrow for full changed(pc I am on only allows 1 post per login before it logs me out automatically.)

Spitfire668

Smash Cadet
A few major changes have been made. Read original post for all details. I couldn't find anything about doubles so any info would be appreciated.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I really recommend you just copy C3 or Critical Hit's rules, some of your wording is confusing. Also the entrance fee part of your first post is really confusing... typically, it's a venue fee when you get there (I think you were going for $5 for that), then a singles fee (looks like $10), then a doubles fee (not really sure what you're doing here, but it's usually the same as singles, per teammate, i.e. $20 per team).

Doubles has the same rules as singles, just with team attack on and life stealing allowed, maybe a few different counterpick stages if you wanna get fancy but that's not necessary.

Jump20X6

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm not paying double the venue fee just to participate in teams. You might want to fix that. I still want to come to this, but I may be out of town on the 31st. Depends on when I'm going to visit my brother in Indiana (Dastrn).

JCaesar, if I'm there and my brother who lives here (B-Run) doesn't come, we can team up.

Spitfire668

Smash Cadet
Ok, edited the pricing.

Silent mike, it would be nice. We have 4 Wiis and 4 copies. But with a 1v1 and a 2v2 going on another Wii would make things easier. Also, do you have component cables or composite???

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Most tournaments reduce or remove the venue fee for someone who brings a setup. If you offer to do that I'd probably bring my wii. And I have component cables.

Jump, that's a lot of ifs but I'll hold out, let me know when you know more. Of course this is still a month away.

hova

Smash Champion
i'm officially making time to stop by next week to help out with any questions you may have and to try to make the most out of the space you guys have

smashers are just really picky; i'll help you get on their good side

Spitfire668

Smash Cadet
Thanks in advance Hova. We open everyday now from noon to midnight. I work till 6:30 every week day and would be happy to stay after, if you cant make it till later one day. Just shoot me an email when your coming.

As for venue fee reduction if you bring your Wii and game, $5 off as it says on the original post (I actually meant to add that last night but i edited this right before I went to bed.) But this is only for the first 8 people to show up with system as that is how many tv's we have after our Wii's are set up.

Top Bottom