• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

B-Sticking--Is it necessary? (Yes, I know there are a million topics like these)

WhiteCarnation

Smash Cadet
I mostly use the c-stick because I feel like I have better control over my bairs and fairs. It seems like people have been succesful in tournaments with and without b-sticking. It's a very inconclusive topic as far as I can tell.
Like all controls, I really think it just depends on personal preference

Even if it was sweeping the tournaments, that doesn't exactly mean it's the best choice for everyone

Exia 00

Smash Champion
its nessicary for lucas mains to b stick because you can use it at any time , for offense and defence.
but if your not use to it then theres no point unless you want to practice it first. (cant stress that enough)

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
I absolutely hate it when everyone says that if you don't b stick, you're missing out. That is not true. B sticking is a playstyle, and everyone has their own playstyle, if you like b sticking, good for you, want a cookie for it? B stick all you want, but it doesn't matter, its all about playstyle, pick the style you prefer, don't force yourself to b stick just because everyone says it better, try it out and if you don't like it, don't do it. Zap jumping, in my opinion, is a little to risky. Just one second off and you will just cancel you're second jump about halfway...making your recovery worse...yea, you can master, but still, you can screw yourself over with just one mistake...Lucas' second jump is already good enough to pretty much get you back on stage from anywhere, and if its not good enough, pk thunder recovery is extremely easy to direct, there is no absolutely no reason to say that you can't have a good recovery unless you b stick. Zap jumping will take you high but you can only do a pk fire...with a regular mid air jump, you can use any of your aerials, making it better for countering if someone tries to intercept...wave bouncing is pretty easy to do without b sticking, if you can't do it then why bother using Lucas? No one is missing out on anything if you don't b stick, just choose a playstyle...

Levitas

the moon
Due to the fact that playstyles are different, one of them must be superior. Your argument doesn't hold any water

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I don't know about that Levitas. Take for example different Fox playstyles in Melee. Defensive "laser camping" Foxes and Agressive Foxes both had their advantages and disadvantages especially during certain character or opponent matchups. Saying one was definetly better than the other would be extremely inaccurate because it varied based upon the situation. I'm not saying this is the same thing but just because two playstyles are different does not make one better in every situation.

Levitas

the moon
Interesting that you would use that example.

I would argue that as long as you have to pick one or the other, one will prove superior either due to it flat out being better, or due to the environment that it's being used in.

The point I was trying to make was that whether bsticking is necessary or not is independant of a given player's playstyle. The environment is the predominant factor in determining whether it's necessary.

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
Exactly, playstyles are different, a Lucas who doesn't b stick can have a playstyle that can dominate a player that b sticks. Just because there are more players who b stick in tournaments doesn't mean that everybody should b stick. Just because more people use it, doesn't make it necessary. You shouldn't be making your character selection based on tiers and tournament success rate, well, same goes for b sticking. Pick whatever you like better, and stick to it.

Top Bottom