• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Auto Cancel Aerials on platforms are useful

Charoo

Smash Champion
I'll put a vid up in a bit but it's pretty self explanatory

When you do a certain aerial from the lower level to the upper level, you can auto cancel if the height is right. With this knowledge, you can actually have pretty safe approach vs any char. in the game.

scenario 1

Pit is falling down after u send him up. You are under the platform of battlefield and he is aiming to land on it. He air dodge to land assuming that you probably going to come up and attack you. Knowing this, you do a full jump down air onto the platform. One of these event will happen

1. It connects
2. He shields it
3. You miss

Usually, the first option is the only option that isn't nonpunishable cause you know, it hits. While the other pretty much whiff and they r going to punish u. Instead, when you do an auto cancel down air like this, you actually have the advantage on all of these situation.

1. It connects

if it connects then you can up smash instantly after down air. This is actually faster than the usual method and can guarantee some KOs.

2. He shields it

If Pit shields the down air, he is actual in a frame advantage. The down air leaves a shield stun on him where he can't react instantly. Since you landed with no lag. You can pretty much do any move faster than him. You jab comes out 3rd frame which is faster than anything he can do oos. Also, if it says Zelda or something where her grab is 11 frame, you can do an up smash and it will hit them before they grab you.

3. It misses

in this case, they will probably try to punish your lag that u're suppose to have. Except, you don't have any lag and you can actually just walk off the platform or jab or something before they can react. When you do a down air though, they probably going to be shielding it because if they don't then it'll probably hit.

That's one scenario on battlefield. There's a lot of platform on many stages that certain aerial works on. Like for example, you can do this exact same tactic on frigate orpheon but with up air. You will land with no lag and should have the advantage instead. A very tricky situation that can give you the advantage you need.

I have a vid where I do it on every stage possible (that isn't banned) so I'll psot it up soon. You guys should get the idea though.

VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7DhOxrptWc

DarkAura

Smash Lord
i should really practice this, i suck on the platforms and thats why i never want to play battle field T_T

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
Lol I just forward air over and over again and the back air em off the platform. I wanna do more effective stuff though.
an BF all but drill can be auto canceled from a full hop onto the platform, actually i think nair might not but its **** close and acts like it is.

also you can drop down bair from the middle platforms and if you sdo it fast enough have it auto cancel, you can also fgull hop upair doublejump up air onto the top platform and have it auto cancel.
and full hop fair from the middles ones onto the top and have enough time to perfectly silent laser as you hit the top platform.

fax can jump around laser and auto canceling aerials like a mad man on this stage. seriously you can do it so fast it resembels melee style speed, (sorta ::laugh:)

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
I have been doing a ton of testing on BattleField.

And there is a Ton of very sweet things you can do there.

here is a model of BF

----_A_
_B_ ----_B_
____C______

(ignore the ---)
i lettered the platforms on BF

full hop fair/full hop up-air/full hop bair all auto cancel from C>B and from B>A

SH Fair from A>B and B>C have enough time at the end to send out a silent laser every time if you buffer it

full hop fair from B>A also has enough time to have a perfect silent laser each time

(with the FAir>silent lasers you also could replace the laser with a perfect centered nair)

drop down b-air auto cancel works from A>B, B>C and A>C

ledgejump fair has enough time for a double laser before you land on B

Ledgejump has enough time to tripple laser before you land on B

you can full hop triple laser from C>B and B>C

and easily drop down single laser from A>B and B>C
and drop down double laser from A>C

you can full hop up-air>double jump up-air from C>A

Sh Fair all five hits poke B from C and A from B

SH drill works from A>B and B>C

with all these PERFECTLY spaced platforms on FB you can run around firing attacks out constantly while having ZERO landing lag.

*coughiknewBFhadthebestplatformspacingoutofanylevelinthegameforfoxcough*

this info needs to be added to the BF stage summery btw, if the person running that thread sees this info please add it.

EDIT:VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AVIjWu_2No

Charoo

Smash Champion
nice uzi

From my knowledge, these are the orders of aerials that can be cancel the easiest (height wise)

up air
back air
down air
neutral air
forward air

that's why you can do up air auto cancel more than down air in total overall platforms.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
nice uzi

From my knowledge, these are the orders of aerials that can be cancel the easiest (height wise)

up air
back air
down air
neutral air
forward air

that's why you can do up air auto cancel more than down air in total overall platforms.
I spent an *** load of time making this video and you actually have the list wrong

foxs first attack to enter auto cancel frams is his Bair
the only aerial you can auto cancel from droping through a platform

his up air and fair are very close
if SH they both get auto cenceld off the ground but Fair needs to be buffered while up-air is more lienyant.

Nair and Drill are also very close to each other and need to by full hopped or short hopped from a platform to be auto canceled.

but this is entering auto cancel frames, and not true end of the animation.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Oh yeah, I've been playing around with this a lot lately too... : ) I was going to make a post on it, but you're too fast, Champ

Seriously, Fox is one of the only characters that I can think of who makes THIS good of use of the platforms... it makes him so fun...

I personally like AC Dair to JJC off the edge of the platform, run off, Dair, grab continue...

It's just a demoralizer, because you just KEEP COMBOING!!!!

imo, SH Bair, FH Uair, and FH Dair are the best options when under an opponent on a platform. Nair is always useful as a movement and pressure tool, so you can throw that in there, too...

SH Fair just applies pressure... it doesn't (at least in my experience) usually lead to anything, as it doesn't usually connect all the hits, and is hard to continue even if it does... furthermore, it doesn't have too much shield knockback, so it's not as useful for knocking off of platforms.

Bair has a LOT of shield knockback, so it's really handy for knocking people off of platforms...

And Dair and uair both lead to profit very nicely...

Charoo

Smash Champion
I spent an *** load of time making this video and you actually have the list wrong

foxs first attack to enter auto cancel frams is his Bair
the only aerial you can auto cancel from droping through a platform

his up air and fair are very close
if SH they both get auto cenceld off the ground but Fair needs to be buffered while up-air is more lienyant.

Nair and Drill are also very close to each other and need to by full hopped or short hopped from a platform to be auto canceled.

but this is entering auto cancel frames, and not true end of the animation.
i was talking about jumping up to the next platform though...

that's why I put fair last cause without the floating version, it doesn't get auto cancel and you fall on the platform. The floating version auto cancel everything though since you go really high up.

That's just a rough list base on my ye sight anyways. I shouldve got auto cancel frame data first but I don't think we have one?

Maybe back air can be use more than up air but I wonder what in game mechanics makes it ok to auto cancel. It's pretty interesting how moves gets cancel differently at different height.

Top Bottom