• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Aug 15, 2014] [SBiB] SUPER Brawl in Berlin (12685 Berlin, Germany, Europe)

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Yes. Pls let me know ASAP when you booked the tickets so I can make this final (:

(Without M2K I would have probably only added Singles, but in this special case it should be OK to add teams as well)

mmKALLL

Smash Cadet
Helsinki-Berlin is just 80 euros, so I'm potentially interested in coming. I would prefer to spend around a week at the area though, and that would of course require some arrangements made regarding accommodation. As I'm not even close to confirmed yet, that's not something to worry about right now, but I think that letting you know early is a good thing. I highly recommend using momondo for searching flights, if cheap prices are of importance.

Anyway, expect to hear more from me later on!

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
Yes, Finland showing interest! This time we might actually come as a group consisting of more than 3 players.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
By the way, I'd like to make a question about the rules - why is the free pause camera hack not allowed?
Is this a troll question? lol

But for your question: Ofc there is no problem in having that hack. We wanted to keep the ruleset (Esp. the Hack Section) as short as possible.

mmKALLL

Smash Cadet
The ruleset was so long and had so many details that I just had to ask, since I would very much not want to be disqualified due to the responsibility of checking the rules. After all, it was explicitly said that "all other hacks are forbidden --"

I'd also like to know why "From the Ruleset banned stages stay banned though and are not allowed to be played on, even if both players agree on it." Pictochat is such a fine stage! :(

Also, since chaingrabs without damage are not allowed, does that mean that Sheik can't do GR regrab on MK without pummeling inbetween?

I'm known for taking advantage of the agreed-upon rules, so that's why I usually ask about any unclear details. I'm also known for trolling, but these are legitimate questions, don't you think?

Last edited:

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
You should not play on those stages, because they are banned. When you allow players to agree on playing on something banned, then why start making rules in the first place? I hope thats understandable.

As for the chaingrabs without damage, they are basically only directed at possible-infinite-long CGs. Feel free to AGR CG an MK across the stage even without pummeling. (The rule had bad wording I guess...)

It's good that you check the rules btw., if only everyone would do that ^^

mmKALLL

Smash Cadet
Why start making rules in the first place?
In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with allowing players to play on any stage as long as they both agree on it. The stage list in the rules exists for the sole purpose of enforcing particular stages in the case of one player disagreeing. If there were no rules, nobody might in theory agree on any stage (or any other rule for that matter), but this way we have a set of guidelines to follow in the case of disagreement. What bad is there in allowing players to play their match in, for example, brinstar or pictochat if they both wish to do so, even if they are not legal for normal play?

I know many people would support enlargening the stage list if MK was not legal, and personally I gladly play in some borderline stages vs non-MK characters because of the fun factor. Not allowing that makes little to no sense to me - of course, from a tournament perspective letting matches go in Temple, 75m or New Pork City will lenghten the sets considerably, but usually players don't consider that to be a good test of skills and I don't know anyone who would play a serious tournament set in a stage like that (not to mention them being generally not very fun to play on for most). Is that also not what you try to get with Core Brawl? Playing on Japes doesn't mean the game is any less competetive. If one player wants to play on a non-legal stage and the other refuses, it's time for striking. I don't see the problem.

Last edited:

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
If you allow using stages (speak: OTHER RULES) then why not allow other rule changes as well?
Alowing players to break the rules (even if both parties agree) is kinda anti-competitive if you ask me.
And one of the basic problems with allowing stage agree, is the possibility of playing on stages like Hyrule or NPC... which you probably understand, would be a bad thing (Because of matches most likely going to time on that stages).

But I give you a hint: As long as you don't play on the stream, it's very likely that you will be able to break the rule and play on your preferred stage (If your oppenant agrees obv.) without me / or anyone of the stuff ever noticing it :p

I hope you understand.

mmKALLL

Smash Cadet
But playing a match with the non-legal settings allows my opponent to legitimately pause the game once because of it! :(

....I guess it doesn't matter either way, yeah. Besides, I suck at this game so the effect is practically non-existent :)

eleanorvonclere

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-2398-9953
Hey there !

I'm pretty interested in going, but I've never been to any tournament. Will it be newbie-friendly, or is it more likely to mainly play at a pro level ? (Ofc, it would still be great to see pro players games anyway)

Last edited:

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Well I don't what exactly you think would be newbie-friendly, but I would say, it certainly is.

There will most likely be at least some freeplay set ups. And even if not, Friday+Sunday will be almost complete freeplay days :)
So even if you arent successful in the tournaments themselves, you will be able to play loooots of smash during the weekend.

Does that answer your question?

Last edited:

mmKALLL

Smash Cadet
I think the question is more about skill levels - whether there are players of all skill levels or just really high level players?

I think you'll see many players in the higher end of the curve here, at least from within Europe, but I bet that there'll be lots of awesome people to meet and surely some are also close to your level. First tournament is often an overwhelming experience, but if you keep an open mind with you and concentrate on learning more than worrying about losses, you'll surely have a great time :)

Most players are unfamiliar with the level and style of tournament level play, so it's not uncommon to lose almost all matches in the beginning. I know I lost to everyone for a while. It has been proven time and time again that "newbies" do become better if they just have the will to play, though! :)

Last edited:

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
^ I can agree. It's more than likely to overestimate oneself than actually placing good in your first tournament, BUT that's just normal and shouldnt be a reason to not go. And also, you will never know until you go.

And I can confirm you, that there are already players signed up, who just got newely into the competitive scene. So yeah, you will definitely find people on your level (Or close to) to play with, as there will be all all kind of levels of players.

Last edited:

eleanorvonclere

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-2398-9953
It does answer my question, and I feel a bit reassured. Thank you, both of you :D

Ofc, I'm not expecting to win lots of matches, but I'm sure I'll learn a lot !

I'm definitely going then (and saving my money for that !).

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Alright! Check the registration section in the first post, to see how you can confirm yourself for this, as I otherwise there is no garuantee to participate in this event! (:

mmKALLL

Smash Cadet
Well heck, if that's the case, I should come here as well. I really like teaching newer players the basics of the game and how to get on the "next level" :)

Besides, I've got more will to brawl than ever, even though I was on the verge of quitting two weeks ago! Yeah! I can't wait to see how beastly my skills are by summer! Maybe I'll wreck Jebu by then! :bee:
(Most likely, I can't confirm myself until around mid-May though)

Last edited:

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
The date of this REALLY sucks for UK players.

Basically we have a big tournament on the 9th/10th and an even bigger one on the 29th/30th/1st.

Its stupid to even have 2 big ones in one month for UK, idk what ppl are doing these days.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
I hope you noticed that I created that thread in 2013 already, right?

So if anything, talk to your local TOs :D

Last edited:

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Nah I didn't notice but it doesn't matter, they aren't going to cancel anything now. And im sure they didn't notice either.

Its not your fault its UK's fault really. Except the one on the 9th/10th isn't organised by the Smash Community, but the one at the end is, so IDK man. Il speak with our main TO, link him to this thread and see what he says, I don't have a clue about what goes on I just wanna attend tournaments with like over 3 months notice, like this. Also UK don't rly use Smashboards anymore.

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Very interested in going to this, I would like to go to a European Brawl tournament before Smash 4's release, and this seems like the one for me.

I hope more UK players attend this.

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
Me and Greward will come 100% with likely some more Spanish players if this gets big. I would enter any smash related event (mid tiers, pm, melee, w/e). I'll make a thread and post a list of interested players later today. Btw are there no pools or are the pools like the Apex ones?

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Just Double Elimination, or MAYBE bracket pools, as there are many Events, I think thats OK. More Freeplay time and a more relaxed day in general. (Even though I can understand, why one would want Pools)
The new games/event list is the following one:

(The last 3 are Singles only)

I will update this thread soon, with all the new information :)
Would be really cool if you can make it out to Berlin :D
I think that would be the first time ever, that Spaniards come to Germany, right? (At least for Brawl)

Last edited:

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
Bracket pools sounds quite good, I think they would barely delay brawl singles because it's almost the same number of sets. Regular pools would be impossible.

Ye, we've only been to France and UK, germany-spain is quite expensive, but I got some money saved this time. Veyron told me he has the money and wil come if he doesnt have to work those days. I'll get some more people in the following days

So many events btw xD I hope there's time to do everything. I'll for sure be entering everything smash related. Also, 1 more question, I'm guessing you'd had an Smash 3DS tourney if it was released before the tourney, right?

Last edited:

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
So many events btw xD I hope there's time to do everything. I'll for sure be entering everything smash related. Also, 1 more question, I'm guessing you'd had an Smash 3DS tourney if it was released before the tourney, right?
As everything is only Double Elimination, I am quite confident that we will finish everything in time :)
And yeah, if the 3DS Version is out by then, there will be a no-pot Side-Event for it too!

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
!!! UPDATED !!!

Check first post for all information :)

(You can now register for all events)

Last edited:
Top Bottom