• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attention: Decisive Gamers

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
It has come to be obvious that you all do not know what the term 'policy lynch' means, so please stop using it until you learn what a policy lynch is.

Thank you.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
here

here you go now shut up. you have no more excuses to misuse the term and continue to annoy me:

[10:22] steel2nd: policy lynch: lynching someone for the sake of their play style and how it may be detrimental to the health of the town/game?
[10:22] steel2nd: just making sure i got it right
[10:22] symptom129: no
[10:23] steel2nd: hm
[10:23] steel2nd: may i ask what it means?
[10:23] symptom129: no
[10:23] symptom129: people should just stop jacking off with it
[10:23] symptom129: i dont know why but they just started saying
[10:23] symptom129: policy lynch this policy lynch that policy lynch him
[10:24] symptom129: its like their new favorite toy
[10:24] steel2nd: i always thought that the "lets policy lynch omni" was due to his metagaming past
[10:24] steel2nd: but hte term is used wrong in that sense?
[10:24] symptom129: lynch all liars is a policy lynch
[10:24] symptom129: lynching someone for lurking is a policy lynch
[10:25] symptom129: when someone exhibits an anti-town behavior IN THAT GAME, that isnt necessarily a scum tell, but it does harm town, you can lynch them off of policy
[10:25] symptom129: that way, townies will no longer exhibit those behaviors if they want to stay alive, and the town will have an easier time
[10:25] symptom129: lynching someone based on past meta isnt policy lynching
[10:25] symptom129: you arent lynching off of any POLICY
[10:25] symptom129: its called POLICY lynching
[10:25] symptom129: not PLAYSTYLE lynching
[10:25] steel2nd: gotcha
[10:25] symptom129: i shuld just copy paste this
[10:26] steel2nd: go for it.

much love to steel <3

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Also, while I'm on a ****ing roll

don't ever, EVER, dismiss an argument simply by saying "thats WIFOM" and stopping there. that's lazy *** play. you are simply dismissing an entire argument by saying "that's too convoluted for me so im going to say its WIFOM and ignore it." not to be a jerk and start calling out people, but i have seen dgamers like Chaco and nondgamers like Xsyven exhibit this poor behavior alike.

simply the nature of the game will introduce WIFOM. the fact that mafia will do something that you dont think mafia would normally do because they dont want to look like mafia to experienced townies WILL INTRODUCE WIFOM. do not simply dismiss arguments that people take time and effort to craft simply because it delves in WIFOM. because you dont know, they could be right - mafia might have faked you out.

Chaco

Never Logs In

don't ever, EVER, dismiss an argument simply by saying "thats WIFOM" and stopping there. that's lazy *** play. you are simply dismissing an entire argument by saying "that's too convoluted for me so im going to say its WIFOM and ignore it." not to be a jerk and start calling out people, but i have seen dgamers like Chaco and nondgamers like Xsyven exhibit this poor behavior alike.
Whether or not it's lazy play, it does hold truth to it. WIFOM based arguments are extraordinarily shallow.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
ah so policy lynching is like lynching to enforce a policy, to prevent players from acting in such a way in that game. i actually really like the idea now

Chaco

Never Logs In
The only person I've seen, on here, use PL correctly was EE in MegaMaf, iirc.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Mafia Scum Wiki said:
In Mafia, WIFOM arguments are often a Scum tactic used to distract the Town. The scum will make an unusual play at night, which would lead to a situation that would 'clear' them (because players will think, "Why would a scum do that?"). These arguments are sometimes used by Newbies and should be avoided in favor of clearer arguments.
Now this explains it nicely.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
leave it to chaco to grab onto the mafiascum wiki like its the bible and totally miss my point

in ff7 mafia, for example, you and xsyven dismissed ronike's arguments on the final and pre-final game Days as "WIFOM" when they totally werent.

our players saw a very, very small amount of "if instead of x, y" and immediately cried WIFOM. there is a major difference between that and what you just called "WIFOM based arguments."

Ronike

Smash Ace

simply the nature of the game will introduce WIFOM. the fact that mafia will do something that you dont think mafia would normally do because they dont want to look like mafia to experienced townies WILL INTRODUCE WIFOM. do not simply dismiss arguments that people take time and effort to craft simply because it delves in WIFOM. because you dont know, they could be right - mafia might have faked you out.
Fuck. Yes.

Whether or not it's lazy play, it does hold truth to it. WIFOM based arguments are extraordinarily shallow.
Wrong, my good chum. WIFOM arguments can be shallow, but often times WIFOM arguments are crafted from one of Sherlock Holmes' sacred rules: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. Seriously, tell me that the WIFOM I used against FF in FFVII regarding Chill was shallow. I dare you.

Chaco

Never Logs In
The dismissal on Ronike was purposeful as Frozen was in fact my scum buddy.

Also as others pointed out in FF7, and mainly by Omis. "Restate your case with less WIFOM", because of a lot of it in fact was.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Wrong, my good chum. WIFOM arguments can be shallow, but often times WIFOM arguments are crafted from one of Sherlock Holmes' sacred rules: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. Seriously, tell me that the WIFOM I used against FF in FFVII regarding Chill was shallow. I dare you.
As I said, he was my scum buddy, it was dismissable, so I dismissed it. I didn't even read your whole argument, just saw the WIFOM and called it and others soon followed.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Chaco, a lot of players said that because they didn't want to take the time to actually think and realize that my case made sense. This is exactly what Tom and I are trying to say and prevent.

All I want is that people actually think about WIFOM arguments and reach a conclusion about whether the argument should actually be invalidated before ignoring it.

Ronike

Smash Ace
So you are saying if you were town you wouldn't have dismissed it?

Chaco

Never Logs In
I, as scum, didn't care if it added up. I just dismissed it.

There is a difference if I was doing it as town in FF7, but I was not. That's the main catch to it.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Then in which case, I could uniformly accept it too. Either way, that's fallable.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
All I got from reading this thread honestly is that more people need to be polic-playstyle lynched, and i need to dismiss arguments as WIFOM and i'll just be looked at like a dumb townie.

Did I miss anything?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
i def explained this **** the first time it was even brought up in rockins game

almost anything in the game [not explicit like a night action{and these aren't safe either}] can be reduced to wifom

oh nick just said this

is anyone gonna compile the swf rules to mafia

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
well i can always call people out on wifom

whine in front of me that is

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Policy dismissals like instantly dismissing WIFOM arguments as useless is poor town play.

Realize that pulling it off successfully as scum does not constitute poor play. Doing ****ty **** like that as scum and getting away with it is the epitome of great scum play. So if Chaco is being called out for stuff he did in FFVII (I guess I fall into this boat as well, I did some really ****ty non-town stuff as well) it really doesn't matter. He was scum so yeah, that's the point.

But yeah, clarifying exactly what a policy lynch is was a good idea. Reintroducing WIFOM to SWF I also agree was something that needed to be done. Sure, WIFOM is mucky and not fun to think about it, but you can also learn from debating WIFOM. What aspects of the WIFOM situation do people seem to be pushing? Think about what is the most immediately logical conclusion and see what other's responses are, and compare what they say to the basic model. Are people making lofty assumptions? Would the loss of a certain persons involved in WIFOM REALLY net the town the benefits people propose? Can you see an agenda being pushed by anyone involved in the argument?

Those are all key questions that a good player will look for answers too as an active scum-hunter, and they're all implicit to WIFOM debates.

Step it up boys. =)

Ronike

Smash Ace
I wasn't so much chastising Chaco for doing it as I was chastising others for following him. It just so happens that Chaco started spouting nonsense about WIFOM, I called him on it by using the best example that came to mind, which was FFVII. But he doesn't just do it in FFVII, he's done it other places too and is one of the worst when it comes to WIFOM. It doesn't help that he was the most vocal here either.

Chaco

Never Logs In
In other games I listen to the argument and dismiss the parts thar are crap, in FFVII I did as I should've. Using a scum win as an example only makes the town look stupid.

Ronike

Smash Ace
The town was stupid in that game. Me and Marshy were indy. We were smart, just town was too stupid to work with.

Top Bottom