• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atomic Comics Smash League & Team Tournaments

AtomicMatt

Smash Rookie
I was suggested to actually post the tournaments on here! I briefly glanced at the front page and didn't notice any topics about them!

SMASH LEAGUE

Smash League is usually every second Saturday of the month. Here are the projected dates for the rest of the league. You must attend 5 of 8 tournaments to qualify for the Top 24 in December, but playing tournament to tournament (not part of the league) is welcome and encouraged. :)

July 12th
August 16th (Delayed 1 Week)
September 13th
October 11th
November 8th
December 13th - League Finals Tournament. Top 24 Players Invited.

Dooks recommended I call the tournaments "Do Or Die" due to my apparently unusual rules. :p

There are 5 Rounds, each against a different opponent and determined by your wins. Winners player winners, Losers player losers.

No Items, 7 Minutes, 3 Man Stock. I've begun just using whatever stages the two competing players agree on.

After the 5 rounds they break down into Top 16 double elimination brackets. 1 Match for all except for LB Finals, WB Finals and Finals - Those will be Best of 3 Set.

I also do not change match ups for friends who play each other often or for relatives. This is a tournament, not a "lets see how far all my friends and I can get" tournament. ;) :p

Sign Ups begin at 12pm and last till roughly 1pm. Entry Fee is $5, first 3 players to show up with a Wii and a copy of Brawl get free entry fee. :)

April Winner - Slick
May Winner - Morty
June Winner - B Stick

TEAM TOURNAMENTS

After an overwhelmingly positive reaction to the idea of Team Tournaments, Atomic will begin to host Brawl Team Tournaments on the first Saturday of each month.

7 Minutes, 3 Man Stock, No Items, Team Attack On. Teams can pick whatever stage as long as they agree.

Entry will be $15/Team! If you or your team mate are one of the first 3 to bring a Wii and a copy of Brawl your Team Entry will be $7.50! :)

Teams will be 8 Rounds with the Top 8 Teams going to double elimination brackets. 1 Match for all except for LB Finals, WB Finals and Finals - Those will be Best of 3 Set.

Upcoming dates for the Team Tournaments!

July 5th
August 2nd
September 6th
October 4th
November 1st
December 6th

Atomic Comics Mesa
1120 S. Country Club Dr. Mesa, AZ 85210
(480) 649-0807
www.atomiccomics.com

I think that about covers everything! If you have questions, feel free to ask! :)

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion

...Who wants to be my partner for these?

BTW, I heard Dark and Light had to fight 1st round in the recent tourney earlier? And someone refused to change the brackets? AND ON SINGLE ELIMINATION?

Shameful.

AtomicMatt

Smash Rookie
You play who you play. While unfortunate, I've never changed the brackets in the past. Why would I start now?

Don't get me wrong though, I felt bad but a tournament is a tournament. I, personally, don't see why it's such a big deal. I don't care if you're matched up against a sibling or a best friend or God himself - in a tournament you play who you are matched against and sometimes it sucks and sometimes it doesn't.

Perhaps if someone can explain to me the big deal and give me a reason other than not having siblings or best friends play each other I'll reconsider my stance on that, because to be frank if that's the only reason that's pretty lame. :(

HOWEVER!!

I'm going to start doing Double Elimination in the Top 16 starting with the Team Tournament on the 5th and continue that for the rest of eternity after speaking with AltF4Warrior. He swayed me in a PM with logic, which is not something I'm opposed to at all! :p

I will also start doing Best of 3 Sets for the Losers Bracket Finals, Winners Bracket Finals, and Finals ONLY. The rest is still 1 Match.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Swayed with logic, eh?! Lol, I'm glad to hear it.

The deal with seeding groups of friends or siblings away is a fairly typical practice for a couple of reasons:

1) People go to tournaments to play new people. Anyone can stay at home and play their older brother all day long and not have to pay for it. You participate in a tournament for the opportunity to play new people who you have never met before. If two brothers pay to go to a tournament and then play each other immediately and one eliminates the other, they're quite likely to not want to return for subsequent tournaments.

2) Seeding by group is often tantamount to seeding for skill. It is not surprising that groups of friends typically are all at about the same skill level. There will be the one person who is the best, but they are largely in the same class. So by separating these players, you help to simultaneously seed for skill as well.

Note that TIO gives you the option for easily seeding according to location and by skill.

AtomicMatt

Smash Rookie
Swayed with logic, eh?! Lol, I'm glad to hear it.

The deal with seeding groups of friends or siblings away is a fairly typical practice for a couple of reasons:

1) People go to tournaments to play new people. Anyone can stay at home and play their older brother all day long and not have to pay for it. You participate in a tournament for the opportunity to play new people who you have never met before. If two brothers pay to go to a tournament and then play each other immediately and one eliminates the other, they're quite likely to not want to return for subsequent tournaments.

2) Seeding by group is often tantamount to seeding for skill. It is not surprising that groups of friends typically are all at about the same skill level. There will be the one person who is the best, but they are largely in the same class. So by separating these players, you help to simultaneously seed for skill as well.

Note that TIO gives you the option for easily seeding according to location and by skill.

1) I understand that people go to play new people and I wouldn't argue that. It mustn't be forgotten that both Light and Dark faced 5 different opponents (maybe they played them before that tournament one or a million times) before they were seeded into the Top 16. It wasn't a situation where they had to play the first round and loser is vanquished from the tournament, they played 5 rounds and were seeded against each other in the Top 16.

2) I also agree! However in a tournament of 32 and most of those 32 knowing each other...playing someone you don't play often if sort of out of the question most of the time and with that high percentage of friends and crews in attendance it would be ridiculous to try and compensate for each and every one of them.

I support not playing each other early or at all if possible in large scale tournaments of 100+ people! By all means, see what you can do to make things work for all involved! If the Atomic tournaments reach those proportions I will adopt the etiquette of allowing brackets to be changed for friends and siblings that play each other frequently.

I'm looking forward to running the tournaments though with the Double Elimination Top 16. I think all will be happier with that and I apologize for seeming like such a n00b Smash Tournament Runner, but if it helps any I'm a hardcore NFL Fan and I've only ever been attracted to single elimination one game matches that mean "Win or Go Home" not the sissy NBA/MLB/NHL rules of series matches. :p

Regardless, I am willing to do almost anything to make the tournaments more comfortable and player friendly for the Smashers in Arizona and I hope it shows instead of me coming off as a ****. :p

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, no! Being willing to listen to the community is as much as we can ask of tournament hosts. You don't have to listen to everyone (because everyone will say something different!) but keeping your ears open is about the best anyone can do, so great!

Hopefully I'll be able to make it down to these.

AtomicMatt

Smash Rookie
Just a reminder that the first Team Tournament is Saturday! I've had a fair amount of calls about it! Here is hoping to a good turn out! :)

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
I'm interested in doing the singles on july 12, how do I sign up, or is the sign up at the door so to speak, as in I just show up on the day (if so, what time?)

Im new to going to tournaments so Id like to come if at all possible :)

AtomicMatt

Smash Rookie
I'm interested in doing the singles on july 12, how do I sign up, or is the sign up at the door so to speak, as in I just show up on the day (if so, what time?)

Im new to going to tournaments so Id like to come if at all possible :)
Yup. You just show up at Atomic around 12pm and sign up then! :)

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
Sorry to double post, but is there gonna be anyway to record or would it be possible if I could bring something to record with? Just curious as to your rules on that, doesn't matter either way :)

Morty

Smash Rookie
Last time Digity brought recording material and it didn't seem to bother anyone, so i'd say it's fine.

AtomicMatt

Smash Rookie
July Tournament Results (Top 4) - 46 players

1) Demised
2) EOW
3) Light
4) Woof

Full results will be available later (the 5-16th placings are at work). I'll post them here and on atomiccomics.com when I am able to!

Thanks for coming everyone. August 2nd is the next Team Tournament and August 16th is the next Singles tournament. :)

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
hey matt thanks again for having it, I had fun even though I had to leave early...just wondering was the 46 an average size of turnout? Just wondering for next time :)

AtomicMatt

Smash Rookie
46 was the highest turnout in awhile. Last month we had 32 and the previous high for the Brawl tournaments was 42.

Morty

Smash Rookie
Most of us from Peoria/Glendale will be coming tomorrow for the Doubles tourney. Hope there is a good turn-out, and maybe this inspires some more people that are on the fence! I hope the doubles tourney grows in size as well as the singles seem to be. Good job running the tourneys Matt, I always have a great time coming to these.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Hey, are these AC tournies still going on? I was hoping there may be an upcoming one that I could get to.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Well hell, I hope at least a decent amount of people show up for it.

Yea, lol I was pretty sure everyone was into melee still. Hard to find lots of Brawl tourneys here.
Next one on the 13th then?

JustinKamikaze

Smash Ace
im in charge of running the atomic comics tournies as well as b-stick

August winner was Light
September winner was Me

since Matt has left atomic comics i have to take over and make sure to keep all the points on record and plan something out for the finals in december

ill keep things updated

people should try to come out and play even though melee > brawl its still fun and i dont mind people bringing set ups for melee either

Top Bottom