• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Assuming Wavedashing was removed

rev

Smash Cadet
If wavedashing is or is not in brawl is yet to see! And either way its gonna be a great game, and I can't wait.

But assuming that wavedashing was removed in brawl what do you guys think that would do to game play. A lot of the speed of the game and combos depend on wavedashing at certain points.

Things that could happen:

dash dancing new mind games?

characters like foxing will lose A LOT of combo's, making them not near as fatal in general

over all I see more lame then cool, what if they made wavedashing an options in the option menu so it could be played with or without it, they sure have tourny's in the lamest parts of the back allies with no wavedashing.

What do you guys think, would it say change what character you play if there was no wavedashing?

blayde_axel

Smash Master
If wavedashing is or is not in brawl is yet to see! And either way its gonna be a great game, and I can't wait.

But assuming that wavedashing was removed in brawl what do you guys think that would do to game play. A lot of the speed of the game and combos depend on wavedashing at certain points.

Things that could happen:

dash dancing new mind games?

characters like foxing will lose A LOT of combo's, making them not near as fatal in general

over all I see more lame then cool, what if they made wavedashing an options in the option menu so it could be played with or without it, they sure have tourny's in the lamest parts of the back allies with no wavedashing.

What do you guys think, would it say change what character you play if there was no wavedashing?
Can we PLEASE not have another wavedash thread?

And if wavedashing is gone, most likely, people would find new exploits in the game to further their game. But since this game's actually not going to be rushed, I don't see many happening.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
The reason the wavedash threads don't work is because the anti wavedashers always turn it into a "wavedashing is cheap" thing. Even though the thread says to talk about if we THINK it will make it in the game. Not if we like it, but if we THINK IT WILL MAKE IT IN OR NOT!

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
The reason the wavedash threads don't work is because the anti wavedashers always turn it into a "wavedashing is cheap" thing. Even though the thread says to talk about if we THINK it will make it in the game. Not if we like it, but if we THINK IT WILL MAKE IT IN OR NOT!

riiiiight. how convienant that it's all the fault of your opposition. =/ clearly only WD supporters are reasonable people...

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Where i stand on WDing is completely neutral, well i would feel bad for the so called "casuals" if it was left in so i guess it's a little slanted. But lets face it guys, with so much game plaly videos out, it's really hard to believe that not ONE of them couldn't WD.... It's much more likely that WDing is out. Not saying it's 100% but whatever.

Any way Hypnotist has a point, so to be on topic.

I wouldn't care if WDing is out. I mean sure it was a great tech, but it's not the only thing that separates me from the "casuals". Even if they toke away all the advance techs, I wouldn't care, because that whole "But the noobs will be adle to pwn pros" thing doesn't apply to me. I've beaten people that used Advance techs before i learned them myself, so I can still play well with out WD or anything else.

As for you Pro Wavedash guys, well if Wavedash is out, I hope it wasn't the only thing that made you "good" at Super smash.

Oh, i just posted in another Wavedash thread, I'm not thinking clearly, need some sleep.

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
Arguements in wavedashing threads:

Anti-Wavedashers argue that wavedashing is a cheap glitch.
Wavedashers have their 'skills' offended and fight back.
Both sides are pissed.
Thus the fire.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
"YOU NOOB EXPLOIT BAD GLITCH"
"YOU NOOB USE ITEMS AND SUX!"

Who cares, people play how they play: to have fun. And to bash someone's fun means you're a commie. Are you a commie?

Nah, all joking aside. What we've seen is only a demo. Things can be changed quickly. If it's not in, it can be added in, if it is in, it can be taken out.

Just sit back and don't be too disappointed, it'll be a great game anyways. If wavedashing isn't in, who's to say there won't be some other type of technique to use?

And if it isn't in now, that doesn't automatically negate it from the actual, full versioned game (though it would probably be likely that if not in the demo, it's not in at all :|)

And yea, a ton of these threads and debates have already taken place.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
"YOU NOOB EXPLOIT BAD GLITCH"
"YOU NOOB USE ITEMS AND SUX!"

Who cares, people play how they play: to have fun. And to bash someone's fun means you're a commie. Are you a commie?

Nah, all joking aside. What we've seen is only a demo. Things can be changed quickly. If it's not in, it can be added in, if it is in, it can be taken out.

Just sit back and don't be too disappointed, it'll be a great game anyways. If wavedashing isn't in, who's to say there won't be some other type of technique to use?

And if it isn't in now, that doesn't automatically negate it from the actual, full versioned game (though it would probably be likely that if not in the demo, it's not in at all :|)

And yea, a ton of these threads and debates have already taken place.
Welcome token, "lets all be friends" guy. I was wondering when you would be joining us.

Now all we need is the topic that is like, "QUIT COMPLAINING GUYZ" and we are all set for lap 65.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I must be missing somehting because for the past 2 years, WDing has been the most important topic for Brawl on this site. The ability to wavedash is what made the game everyhting it was, I suppose????

Darqion

Smash Cadet
I must be missing somehting because for the past 2 years, WDing has been the most important topic for Brawl on this site. The ability to wavedash is what made the game everyhting it was, I suppose????

Concidering only 1% of all the smash players know how to do it, i doubt that

Do find it funny how people view their oposition. It makes it kind of clear where to real imaturity is.

I dont really take a side in this, but being in the middle does clearly show me how dumb most discussions turn out

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Welcome token, "lets all be friends" guy. I was wondering when you would be joining us.

Now all we need is the topic that is like, "QUIT COMPLAINING GUYZ" and we are all set for lap 65.
QUIT COMPLAINING YOU STUPID, F***ING MORONS! :grin::chuckle::grin::chuckle:

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace

Both sides are pissed.
Thus the fire.
You win a yohis cookie... wiat... i have eaten it already sorry. Ok you win a yoshi (yoshi eats him)

Psychofox

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2681-0374-2022
I am sure that wavedashing will be in the game, as will air dodging. Air dodging = wavedashing. I dont think its technically possible to remove the traction caused by a quick air didge to the ground. It they did, we would be air dodging through solid floors and the game wouldn't be as enjoyable. Basically if they take out wavedashing, air dodging would be gone too, and air dodging is as well something the game needs and what smash64 lacked.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
I use marth and I use WaveDashing for catching up to characters. As for attacks, it's mostly as a retreating fSmash when somebody gets close. DashDancing is how i usually approach. i use wavedashing to move back mostly, so it's a defensive thing. as for edge grab, i never wave dash to ledge, i backB (or bAir). it has it's uses but I won't cry if it's gone, L-Cancelling is 10x more important for Marth's attack. WD is just for spacing/distancing.
if ike CAN'T wavedash, he'd have a hard time with faster characters like metaknight and sonic because his attacks are sooo very slow. where fox can quick jab, ike will have to try to roll and time ground dodges since wavedashing is out. even with rolling and ground dodging, you're still vulnerable.
i think retreating wavedashing helps marth out of that stick situation when you're face to face with a character. the best you can do is wavedash away (into to roll or grab or ftilt or fsmash) but it keeps you safe.

if wavedash + l-cancel is gone, i'll use link again (my starter) but if l-cancel is in, ike against slower characters and link against faster. WD + LC? Ike all the way

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
hey...

if WDing *is* in Brawl, do you expect this debate to go on for another 6 years?
This debate hasn't been going on for 6 years. It was discovered around what in late 2003 or was it 2002? I can't remember. Anyways, people had a debate on how "useful" it was back in the day.

So lol. Alot of people thought it was useless, but now people are complaining it is the end all win move. Isn't the whole wavedashing thing funny?

I think it has been argued about for more like 2 or 3 years. It is already old.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If Wavedashing was removed, I'd pay Melee more then Brawl, the competitve scene would be a lot smaller, and it would be called Super Smash Bros. n00b. Wat next=??? anti-wavelanding, shine cacelling, crouch cancelling, L-cancelling,. Z-cancelling, and shuffling threads=??? These threads piss me off, and wreak with failure. just like the thought of wavelanding or wavedashing not being in Brawl. And wavelanding is confirmed btw. ;)

Edit:

This pic is sex.
That pic is sex. You win this thread, this forum, the internets, and the world my friend. Congratulations!

SirKibbleX

Smash Cadet
People seem to forget that almost every technique we use in fighting games today was the result of a glitch at some point in time. Hell, even the concept of the 'Combo' (a chain of attacks you can use based on hitlag) was only ACCIDENTLY included in SFII. People who could do 'combos' were often looked down upon back then, and eventually, as it became more of a 'feature' it became more widely accepted. If you can't do a combo in a Street Fighter or GG game, you shouldn't complain about it. Similarly, 'cancelling' attacks was a glitch in a version of SF2, 'parrying,' using shoryuken's invincibility frames, 'aircombos' using 'launcher' attacks, and more were all accidental glitches of which people took advantage.

If it wasn't for people using the accidental to enhance gameplay, there probably wouldn't BE a Fighting Game Genre at this point.

Almost everyone agrees that Smash is a game that should be 'easy to pick up, but hard to master.' If you didn't know about WaveDashing, why would it be any harder to pick up? What Wavedashing does is push the ceiling up for mastery, something that every game should do.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
This debate hasn't been going on for 6 years. It was discovered around what in late 2003 or was it 2002? I can't remember. Anyways, people had a debate on how "useful" it was back in the day.

So lol. Alot of people thought it was useless, but now people are complaining it is the end all win move. Isn't the whole wavedashing thing funny?

I think it has been argued about for more like 2 or 3 years. It is already old.
right. but i didn't say the argument has been going on for 6 years. i asked if it would keep going for another 6 years, meaning 6 more years, implying roughly around the lifespan of Brawl.

for example, i think L-canceling has something going for it in the arguments in that it wasn't removed from 64 to melee. it's hard to counter that.

if WD does come back, do you think it'll be a simple matter to shut down future debates because it wasn't removed when they had more than enough chance to do so with Brawl?

i'd hate to have to listen to this for ~6 more years. >(

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
You know what, I don't even care anymore.

If wavedashing is in, try not to pwn the "casuals" to hard over the Internetz

If wavedashing is not in, don't cry, you should still be able to pwn said "casuals" over the Internetz anyway.

But can we please give this thing a rest. it's only a few more days till the 18th anyway.

Igneous42

Smash Ace

Both sides are pissed.
Thus the fire.
Lol pretty much. I wouldn't be surprised if it was gone. As far as we know it wasn't supposed to be in the game in the first place so why would they keep it? it's common sense if something overpowered take it out. Tried using the n00b combo in halo 3 yet?

SirKibbleX

Smash Cadet
People seem to forget that almost every technique we use in fighting games today was the result of a glitch at some point in time. Hell, even the concept of the 'Combo' (a chain of attacks you can use based on hitlag) was only ACCIDENTLY included in SFII. People who could do 'combos' were often looked down upon back then, and eventually, as it became more of a 'feature' it became more widely accepted. If you can't do a combo in a Street Fighter or GG game, you shouldn't complain about it. Similarly, 'cancelling' attacks was a glitch in a version of SF2, 'parrying,' using shoryuken's invincibility frames, 'aircombos' using 'launcher' attacks, and more were all accidental glitches of which people took advantage.

If it wasn't for people using the accidental to enhance gameplay, there probably wouldn't BE a Fighting Game Genre at this point.

Almost everyone agrees that Smash is a game that should be 'easy to pick up, but hard to master.' If you didn't know about WaveDashing, why would it be any harder to pick up? What Wavedashing does is push the ceiling up for mastery, something that every game should do.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Well considering every character is going to be the same and movesets wont change at all...
No, if wavedashing is not in Brawl my play style will not change considering I only use it to drop down and edge hog.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Why is everyone so gaga over the wavedash, its just moving forwards and back without turning around ffs just like in other fighting games. isn't SHFFL is more important than wavedash *rolls eyes*

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
A lot more chars than fox won't be able to combo and people like Marth, Fox, and Sheik would be even more powerful. The game would really be reduce to peoeple playing 7 characters at tournament. I don't feel like explaining again. It would widen the gap between pros and non pros even more.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
I can't wait to customize my controller to have a wavedash button.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman

Nah, more like I can see both sides of the argument and can express something without inducing an argument usually.

I could say I'm for wavedashing, someone would probably respond "cheater" and then I or someone else would get mad and start another fight. Not like it matters anyways, fights all over about this and other things :p

Mama

Smash Ace
I don't see why so many people enjoy hyping wavedashing...I
ll go ahead and humor this thread with a response.

I don't really see Wavedashing as a super magical cheating hack technique or the answer to my prayers. Its primarily a mindgame that doesn't really give you an extreme advantage at all. Sure it can help some players combo but if wave dashing is somehow nerfed in Brawl then it wont be missed for very long. There are far more important things like L-canceling that people will be thinking about.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
Wow whoever thinks that wavedash is only a mindgame surely doesnt use it right... Wavedashing helps way more than just mind games, it helps your dodging by a lot and LD helps you move across stages at way faster speeds. If brawl has no wavedashing nintendo is taking out what makes melee so competitive. A WD marth owns a non-WD marth. Without the WD, lots of characters would lose their combos...

Plus i cant even believe they are letting you have another jump after you dodge. This game is going to be basicly whoever thas the better arial moves win.

Mama

Smash Ace
Wow whoever thinks that wavedash is only a mindgame surely doesnt use it right... Wavedashing helps way more than just mind games, it helps your dodging by a lot and LD helps you move across stages at way faster speeds. If brawl has no wavedashing nintendo is taking out what makes melee so competitive. A WD marth owns a non-WD marth. Without the WD, lots of characters would lose their combos...

Plus i cant even believe they are letting you have another jump after you dodge. This game is going to be basicly whoever thas the better arial moves win.
The problem with your post is you're using current standards as your measuring stick. With the current Melee physics and set ups taking out Wave Dashing would indeed have an effect. You're acting like they're just suddenly removing it from all the Melee discs and people will be forced to adapt. This will be a new game with a lot of new rules in terms of knock back physics, and other things. In times of uncertainty I'd recommend you detach yourself from your love of Wave Dashing and accept the possibility (while slim in my opinion) that Wave Dashing may get the ax some how.

I myself have already adapted Wave Dashing into my muscle memory so when I'm moving across a level I like to Wave Dash back and forth for both mind games and avoidance (I main Peach and Ganondorf) but if it was removed from Brawl I wouldn't cry a river I'd just find ways around it like everyone else would.

Also you don't get an extra jump after air dodging where the hell did you hear that? You're simply able to jump after you dodge. If you've exhausted your two jumps then you wouldn't jump again.

Top Bottom