• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Assuming the Starting Roster is the Original 8, Who Will You Start With?

Who Will You Start With?

• Total voters

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Link has been my main or secondary in every Smash to date. Simple pick.

Plus I want to see if those remote bombs are better or worse than what he had before. At this point, I'm thinking I'll switch to Young Link.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Link, and I would actually do an 8 player Smash match first with the original 8 (probably on Battlefield).

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I will say, Link has usually been in my lineup, but I played him at E3 and remote control bombs really throw me off haha
For that reason I'll probably stick with Mario at the beginning.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I think I'll be boring and say Mario. Because out of those 8, he is the one I actually could stand a chance kicking other's asses.
If it where the original 12, it would be easier, my boy Ness, but until then.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Donkey Kong. That's who I started off with in Smash 64 Classic Mode. Considering this is a celebration of Smash, it is only fitting...

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Link is probably my favorite fighter to play as in that group and I am curious to see how the changes they made to him in particular work out.

D

Deleted member

Link all the way. Familiar yet fresh thanks to the Breath of the Wild appearance which is one of my two main reasons.

Spirit Toons

Banned via Warnings
Not to ruin the fun, but isn’t it going to begin with the OG 12, not 8. If I were to chose from the original 8, definitely my boy Kirby, and for 12 it would be Captain Falco, Luigi, Jiggly Puff, and Kirby

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Yoshi, cuz the fact that his egg throw now bounces... been wanting to try it out.

Dig Dug

Chronic Lurker
Definitely going with Kirby. It's been my tradition to always play as him first anyway, regardless if I plan on maining him or not.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I've always played Link first in Smash, and I'm not gonna stop just because he's betraying me and being right-handed this game.

Dude, that's AWESOME!

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Probably Samus. I love Metroid. That translates into Smash as well. Always enjoyed playing her even if she's not the best.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
If it's the original 8, I'm gonna go with Pikachu first and foremost. He's the only member of the original 8 that I consistently play well as across every Smash Bros. game.

Followed up on with Fox. Then Link. Then Kirby. Then Mario. Then whoever I unlock first after these five characters are played. Then Yoshi. Then DK. And then finally Samus. No matter what game I play, I just can't get a good handle at how she plays. Her tech flat out sucks and she simply isn't fun to play as. Seriously, in Smash 4, she is the number 1 reason why I never beaten All-Star mode with every character at the hardest difficulty setting.

Now, if we are starting with the original 12, then throw in Captain Falcon after character number 1 gets unlocked and played. Then Ness. Then Luigi. Then Yoshi. Then whoever I unlock second. And then DK. And then Jigglypuff. And then finally Samus before doubling down on Pikachu or Fox.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Pikachu.

Pikachu was the first character I started off with in the Nintendo 64 version and is most likely the character I am going to start off with for Ultimate.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
Hopefully, they won't be the original eight but the original twelve, because in that case I would have Ness and Captain Falcon already locked down since they were my two original mains back in the day.

If that's not the case, then Donkey Kong.
He looks way more polished and fun than his previous Smash versions.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Hopefully, they won't be the original eight but the original twelve, because in that case I would have Ness and Captain Falcon already locked down since they were my two original mains back in the day.

If that's not the case, then Donkey Kong.
He looks way more polished and fun than his previous Smash versions.
You, I like you.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
Link is my main in Smash 64. It would be criminal not to not start with him.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Yoshi, seeing as that he's my 64 and 3DS/Wii U main. He was even the first character I remember playing in Smash.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
It would only been fitting to start out the Ultimate Smash experience with my OG main. :4yoshi:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Probably Kirby or Pikachu, I don't really have any favourites among the original 8.....but presumably Ness, Luigi and Jigglypuff will be unlockable fairly quickly (if it's going by game order) so I'll at least have those three characters I like using early on.

On the other hand, characters will have changed so maybe I'll find something new I like that I didn't like before.

Last edited:

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
Tough choice...

Probably Kirby, always felt like a good character to test the waters and arguably the most consistent moveset since N64...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Mario. I'd go for Luigi or Ness since I'm fond of them, but they're original 12, not 8. Mario is the closest to either; they even all share polygons in 64. I'm beelining for Marth (true main), Wario and Shulk.

Nakamura

Smash Cadet
ill probably do vs matches with the CPU until i unlock all the characters first, ill probably play mario since he is my teneative main in those vs matches so him.

Top Bottom