• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask Riddle and Strong Bad stuff about DK.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Pretty Self-explanatory.

I'm pretty dedicated to improving the DK boards and so if any of you guys have any questions I'll try to answer them and if I don't know the answer I will find it.

Strong Bad, you can be a part of this too if you want.

I'll update the OP with important questions and their answers when they come up.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
you know bro, that's kinda the point of the general discussion thread. to ask questions and get answers.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
GD is to sort of... talk. It's a social thread.

Anyways, who all can be cargo uthrow'd > uair juggled.

Also do I just suck or can you only cargo uthrow > punch certain characters or is there a certain % range or what? I can never seem to land it.

PS:
DK is my "for fun" char. I main Mewtwo and second Jiggs. But DK is just... so sexy..

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
you can u-air juggle fox, falco, and falcon. and to an extent, Roy, DK, and Link. you can upthrow upair just about any character depending on percent, though, just not juggle.
it depends on the char

chars like jiggs/samus can't because they go too high up, and samus you have more ending lag on the upthrow. try jumping in the air, upthrow, dj punch.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Got those first 3 correct. Didn't know the latter 3 (never play any of them either...) and figured the second part.

Knew about jiggs, forgot about lag due to weight. I'll try that instead. :p I think my problem is I'm doing grounded cargo uthrow, full hop punch.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Dk throw mini-FAQ said:
Cargo-Up: This is what sets up many of DK’s awesome juggles.

Vs. Fastfallers: This move is an absolute nightmare for fastfallers, as you can grab them and put some ridiculous damage on them. At 0% if you grab them, and Cargo-U, you can usually get a free Giant Punch/U-smash/D-smash/U-tilts for damage racking. Also you can chain-throw with this, Cargo-U dash to follow their DI, grab again and repeat until about 30-40% when you can shorthop into the Cargo-U, then land and begin your shuffl’d Up-air juggles then finish with a Giant Punch/F-air for the KO (To see some great examples of this check out the vid of Captain Jack (DK) vs. ikki (Fox), and CJ vs. Delani (Falco)).

Vs. Normals/Floaties: Cargo-U doesn’t set up quite such devastating juggles on these guys as it does on fastfallers, but it is useful. At low % you can simply Cargo-U and U-air/u-tilt. At higher % on normal weights you can usually hit Cargo, jump and U-throw at the same time and U-air, F-air, or Giant Punch. My staple against a lot of people is Cargo U to a full jumped F-air. You have to watch their DI a bit and space accordingly, you may need to jump a bit backwards or forwards so you hit with the tip of DK’s hands. This works best around 60-90% on most normal characters. Floaties can be put into the headbutt combos, if you can tag them, fastfall and get back to them quick enough. (See Mike (DK) vs. Umbreon Mow (M2)).
Other than that Strong BAd pretty much summed it up. Fastfallers (Fox, falco ,falcon) are the ones wh you can do major damage to with up-throw and uair combos/juggles. Everyone else can pretty much be hit out of u-throw with u-air.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
hi i'm a newbie to the melee forums, but i would like to get into it. i played it a bit before brawl came out and then played a few matches post brawl and it felt so much better.

anywho, question time: does DK have anything going for him in the Sheik matchup?

Riddle

Smash Lord
hi i'm a newbie to the melee forums, but i would like to get into it. i played it a bit before brawl came out and then played a few matches post brawl and it felt so much better.

anywho, question time: does DK have anything going for him in the Sheik matchup?
Sheik is a tough match up, but its winnable if you plat it right. Luckily, Dk can't be chaingrabbed (tech chasing sucks though), but he gets comboed pretty badly. All you can really do in this match up is space well with Bair and get juggles set up as much as you can. Sheik is the 4th (I think) fastest faller in the game so she is pretty susceptible to Uair juggles which you can setup with Cargo U-throw. Also, if you get her off the stage, hold on to the ledge and take advantage of her awful recovery lag with bair and stuffs. A fun thing to do is ledgehop a fully charged giant punch when sheik recovers barely onto the ledge. If you do this you can regrab the ledge safely and you basically just got a free kill.

tl;dr Space with bair juggle with uair.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Got those first 3 correct. Didn't know the latter 3 (never play any of them either...) and figured the second part.

Knew about jiggs, forgot about lag due to weight. I'll try that instead. :p I think my problem is I'm doing grounded cargo uthrow, full hop punch.
yeah, the problem with it is that you get the start-up lag of a jump. in the air, a double jump activates in 1 frame. Not to mention when you upthrow while jumping, you are going upwards with your opponent during the lag of the throw.
depending on their DI, you might have to do a reverse Punch.

adding to what Riddle said about the Sheik match-up, be very wary of tech-chasing. choose smaller stages or platform stages, like Yoshi's Story or Battlefield. if you're edgeguarding Sheik, always grab the ledge. ledgehop with timing to gain some invincibility so you don't get hit by her up-b, and then ledgehop Giant Punch or, if they land on the platform, do a ledgehop fair. it hits on Yoshi's Story for sure, I haven't tested Battlefield.
if you're getting tech-chased, mix up your techs and DI, and then after 1 or 2 just land on the ground and roll away/stand up with up. most sheiks aren't pro at the jab reset. i haven't tested it yet but I'm certain there's a specific % where if you hold up, the jab reset will make you stand up very quickly and you can buffer a roll or dash away.

studly

Smash Ace
im having a lot of trouble landing grabs on some of the faster characters (fox, falco, falcon, etc.) any advice on how i can get the grab so i can start those u-air chains?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
some general tips on grabs:
don't grab when you don't think you have a good chance of landing it
always JC your running grabs (his running grab is really bad =()
don't spam them, otherwise your opponent will punish you
if you're going to shield grab, then lightshield (with DK I recommend to lightshield all the time unless you have full shield and can shift it around depending on where you're going to get hit, since his shield sucks). the added hitlag can sometimes mess up l-cancels or escape options, so unless your opponent is used to it it works a lot in my experience (not against my crew anymore...)
if you're fighting a fox who's about to upsmash, you can wavedash out of shield -> grab if you full shield the upsmash before Fox can get away. Bum did this all the time. If you aren't confident in your execution, you can just hold your shield up after the WD. usually the fox will be dumb and just shield, in which case just grab lol. but work on it i'd say.
usually you won't get a shieldgrab on a spacie if their shield pressure is good, unfortunately, and DK's shield won't last long before he gets hit by a nair/dair or shine. =( what you can try is to crouch cancel grab a fox's nair if they're approaching with it. it works sometimes. idk.

stuff like that. try to grab while they're in the lag of a move you have baited with dash dancing or something. idk i'm tired. learn to back-air a lot (but do it well... mindless spamming gets you *****) to pressure your opponent into making mistakes that you can capitalize on with grab.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
Sheik is a tough match up, but its winnable if you plat it right. Luckily, Dk can't be chaingrabbed (tech chasing sucks though), but he gets comboed pretty badly. All you can really do in this match up is space well with Bair and get juggles set up as much as you can. Sheik is the 4th (I think) fastest faller in the game so she is pretty susceptible to Uair juggles which you can setup with Cargo U-throw. Also, if you get her off the stage, hold on to the ledge and take advantage of her awful recovery lag with bair and stuffs. A fun thing to do is ledgehop a fully charged giant punch when sheik recovers barely onto the ledge. If you do this you can regrab the ledge safely and you basically just got a free kill.

tl;dr Space with bair juggle with uair.
dk/roy are tied for 4th fastest faller, sheik is like 7th

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
sorry but you're all wrong. about everything.
definitely not high

unknown522

Some guy
you can u-air juggle fox, falco, and falcon. and to an extent, Roy, DK, and Link. you can upthrow upair just about any character depending on percent, though, just not juggle.
it depends on the char

chars like jiggs/samus can't because they go too high up, and samus you have more ending lag on the upthrow. try jumping in the air, upthrow, dj punch.
after you throw samus up, she doesn't have any moves that can beat DK's u-air. Just wait for her to get low enough, then u-air her. She should never be able to get down.

DK can cargo u-throw -> u-air everyone except jiggs after like 20% and samus.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i get really annoyed by bomb shenanigans from samus when i upthrow her and wait to upair. idk samus sucks </3
i think luigi can get out sooner than most others, too.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
when sheik poofs on the stage you can combo dair --> fair / giant punch at pretty much any percent and it's pretty annoying and painful

dair --> charge u-smash is also pretty good on her for hurting her recovery but only really works on fd and pokemon stadium kind of

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
ledgehop fair hits sheik even if she vanishes onto the side platform of yoshi's story. it's what i do.
im usually bad and mess stuff up because im not good though.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think PKM favours Dair usually because it's easier. It starts up quicker, so there's more room for error.

Though he has done Fair --> Fair on me before. I can see the benefit on platform stages.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
lol wtf, You can Cargo Up throw (Grounded) to jump/double jump Uair Samus to the point she dies from the Uair.

You have to be really fast, as if it were Fox trying to upthrow Uair Jiggs.

This is the main way I kill all Samus players I've faced.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Nope, I was just getting some Jiggs practice today actually.

She's so ****ing gay, cargo doesn't phase her. Luckily she naturally dies from just getting hit.

I still cargo Up Throw Jiggs at higher % just to have her up there and risk getting Uair'd on the way down (since it's still a great KOing move vs her).

edit:

I personally don't think DK is that bad for Jiggs. If anything I say it's 55-45 Jiggs (simply saying that since people won't believe such a good character having a disadvantage against a monkey). Personally, I think it's the other way around. DK's range (namely ftilt and Bair) is great vs her aerials, she doesn't gimp him, Giant Punch is ****, DK lives for a long time, and DK doesn't struggle with the KOs. For Jiggs... um, she can combo him pretty well because of his size, but that's really all I see standing out for her.

And on the side note, I think kids interested in DK should really watch RockCrock's new matches (I just added them). I think Cargo Dthrow at the edge has good ****ing potential for gimping fast fallers. I think it can be much more reliable then Bum's "jump off the stage, cargo Dthrow, double jump Nair them as they double jump to recover". That thing Bum came up with is really nice and I use it a lot, but when they catch onto it, you're kinda ****ed. I learned this from CunningKitsune :( RockCrock's little trick seems like it can be a 100% gimp.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
maybe. i just combo until i mess up or can bair/nair them off the edge into an edgeguard. if rockcrock's deal works then that's pretty cool i'll have to test it next time i actually use DK at a smashfest.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
NJZfinest since you aren't coming to tims3 I had to find a new partner(really wanted to do double DKs though)

so now I'm teaming with tink! and taking 1st guaranteed.

prepare for some videos

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
telll tink he owes me two money matches since he didn't go to the past two Event-52's.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Haha, you guys could still probably do double DK. Tink has a strong belief that he's good with Donkey Kong.

Top Bottom