• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask Mango Falcon Questions =D and other things

Spaghetti

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone confirm if UpB beats getup attacks? I think I just did it to marth
are you talking about like up-b as a punish to a getup attack in front of you? because if you're predicting a getup attack from a marth i'd think you'd have 92893724629374 better options

even if upb does work

Sleepy

Smash Ace
are you talking about like up-b as a punish to a getup attack in front of you? because if you're predicting a getup attack from a marth i'd think you'd have 92893724629374 better options

even if upb does work
yes, I'm just trying to figure out if the UP-b can go through the invincibility, it was more of a joke. A happy accident as some would say, not that I would do it as a practical use for punishing.

Spaghetti

Smash Apprentice
yes, I'm just trying to figure out if the UP-b can go through the invincibility, it was more of a joke. A happy accident as some would say, not that I would do it as a practical use for punishing.
lol now im curious if this works too, i wanna try using it

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
What are my out of shield options against Falco that won't get me shined? I can sometimes get the back wavedash then grab them if they try to follow, and timing a grab almost always works on fox, but Falco's hitstun from D-air keeps me in stun too much and I am left once again trying the back wavedash

what can I do out of shield

against falco

i try back wavedash

it works sometimes =)

but his dair stun ****s me

and i get shined most of the time

plz help

Last edited:

kyaputenfarukon07

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone confirm if UpB beats getup attacks? I think I just did it to marth
Source: http://smashboards.com/threads/detailed-throws-techs-and-getups-frame-data.206469/#post-5896012

Author: Magus420

I dont think Marth's get up attack is fully intangible/invincible during the entire animation.

Here is the extra Frame Data for Marth that is not in the Marth hitbox thread.

Here are the 2 possible scenarios with get up attacks.

If Marth is lying on his stomach

Getup-Attack (Stomach)
Total Frames of the animation: 49
Active Hitbox Frames: 22-23 (Front), 27-28 (Behind)
Invincible : 1-28

There are 21 frames where Marth is not invincible after the first 28 frames of the animation.

and his back

Getup-Attack (Back)
Total Frames of the animation: 49
Active Hitbox Frames: 20-23 (Behind), 30-31 (Front)
Invincible: 1-31

There are 18 frames where Marth is not invincible after the first 31 frames of the animation.

You made a really hard read for the up-b grab lol or the lack thereof lol. You can use other moves (that are better) as well for the punish but its hard to distinguish sometimes through visual cues because it can be delayed or given other options that can selected based on stage position and habits. Unless you have impressive auditory reaction time which is considered faster than visual reaction time.

Last edited:

carnivore

Smash Cadet
Stomp OoS beats SHFFL>Shine from spacies. But it's only a mix up, if they do SHFFL>SHFFL or SHFFL>Utilt, Stomp will get stuffed and you're going to eat a big punish. So mix in wavedash back, rolls, and even Uair OoS.
You shouldn't be trying to do anything OoS against Fox and Falco if they hit your shield with a low aerial. They're both completely safe
What are my out of shield options against Falco that won't get me shined? I can sometimes get the back wavedash then grab them if they try to follow, and timing a grab almost always works on fox, but Falco's hitstun from D-air keeps me in stun too much and I am left once again trying the back wavedash

what can I do out of shield

against falco

i try back wavedash

it works sometimes =)

but his dair stun ****s me

and i get shined most of the time

plz help
If Falco does a perfect low Dair, Shine comes out the 3rd frame after shieldstun ends. This means if you try to do anything as Falcon, you're gonna get hit. So you just gotta hold that shield button until shine is over. After the shine, you can do an OoS option, the best one just depends on whether you think Falco will do an early aerial, a fade aerial, a double shine, waveshine etc.

If you think they're doing bad shield pressure, shield grab comes out frame 8, fastest option you have. Stomp pulls up Falcon's legs and dodges Falco's shine on frame 12. Uair comes out frame 11, Nair on frame 12. (all after shield stun from Dair ends). Remember shine comes out on frame 3 after Falco's perfect Dair, on frame 2 for a Nair.
Safest option is buffer roll or wavedash back (both still get hit by a perfect shffl shine).

Last edited:

S.U.N.

Smash Rookie
Hey Mango Im a newbie to smash boards as you can see from the name, but I have been watching and playing for a long time about 1 year and I wan to know any tips on improving my falcon as a whole? Also how to style cause some of my friends are garb lol. I really appreciate it!

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
General Improvement: work on control, speed, and precision. get it to the point where you can do whatever you want whenever you want. that comes from practice by yourself or by playing a lot (usually both)

in terms of styling- try wacky **** and go all out
just do it

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
I think slightly in Marth's favor, but Falcon can combo Marth harder than most characters and can usually stop him from recovering with Side B. Even, if both character's are playing well into their strengths.
Marth has better Neutral game because Falcon can't get in easily, Falcon has better combos and movement.

S.U.N.

Smash Rookie
General Improvement: work on control, speed, and precision. get it to the point where you can do whatever you want whenever you want. that comes from practice by yourself or by playing a lot (usually both)

in terms of styling- try wacky **** and go all out
just do it
Thank you I'll try

Gweedo888

Smash Rookie
so this is my first post hopefully i don't sound like a complete idiot lol but when doing neutral jump down B L cancel what are my options after that? is it always up b or should i hold off till they fall enough to knee them

strongboy

Smash Cadet
so this is my first post hopefully i don't sound like a complete idiot lol but when doing neutral jump down B L cancel what are my options after that? is it always up b or should i hold off till they fall enough to knee them
Hell, why not?

kyaputenfarukon07

Smash Journeyman
Ya your falcon is really dope and fast reminds me a bit of s2j

but the ganon boards are so much better for chatting

Last edited:

Windrose

Smash Lord
wow n0ne with the self name searches lol.

man i wish mang0 used falcon more in tournament. he says falcon has the potential to win a national, I wanna see him prove it.

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
Two questions:

Are JC'ed grabs strictly better than falcon's dash grab? I know there's much less lag time on the JC grabs, but the grab box is so much bigger on the dash grab. I mean, it seems as long as you read their tech roll or whatever it the JC grab seems to always connect, but I just wanted to know if I should always be JC grabbing or if the regular dash grab is ever okay.

Second question: anyone have any good applications for falcon's pivot? Preferably in a video so I can see? I remember learning about using pivots a long time ago when I first started playing the game, but I never really put much time into it and now I've found that they're a good tool to use with falcon.

CaramelCenter

Smash Rookie
How do I

extend my

moonwalks because

I'm

doing the thing i gotta do

but then not going

as far as i'm

seeing other

stuff.

Also I challenged you to a $50 money matched you to dodge ball on your stream. Teams of 5. no face hits. standard catching rules apply. best of 5. final destination/gym floor is the only legal stage. are we gonna dodge ball it?

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
How do I

extend my

moonwalks because

I'm

doing the thing i gotta do

but then not going

as far as i'm

seeing other

stuff.

Also I challenged you to a $50 money matched you to dodge ball on your stream. Teams of 5. no face hits. standard catching rules apply. best of 5. final destination/gym floor is the only legal stage. are we gonna dodge ball it?
Are you dash dancing in the direction you want to go first? Most videos don't say you have to do the dash dance to get your momentum going in the direction you actually want to go.

So, if you want to actually slide to the right it should be:

:GCR: + ( :GCL::GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR: )

and of course, the opposite for left:

:GCL: + (:GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDL::GCL:)

Both of these inputs really need to be quick. If you're not going as far as you should be, you just have to work on the timing. Its a fairly precise input.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Except
Are you dash dancing in the direction you want to go first? Most videos don't say you have to do the dash dance to get your momentum going in the direction you actually want to go.

So, if you want to actually slide to the right it should be:

:GCR: + ( :GCL::GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR: )

and of course, the opposite for left:

:GCL: + (:GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDL::GCL:)

Both of these inputs really need to be quick. If you're not going as far as you should be, you just have to work on the timing. Its a fairly precise input.
you shouldn't have a half-circle back, it should be elliptical so that you don't cancel your momentum. Other than that, good description.

Top Bottom