• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinato91

Smash Apprentice
I'm new to the competitive scene so I want to know some things
1. How do I DI?
2. What's power shielding and how do I do it?

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
There's a breakdown in Brawl Tactical, that should explain all questions. But I'll give you an overview:

DI is Directional Influence. Whenever you get hit and momentum starts to send you in a direction, DI is basically 'shifting' yourself away/towards the attack. IE, if someone starts to chain combo you, and you DI away for a few hits, the last attack should whiff you. No specific examples.

Powershielding is throwing up the shield the split-second that the attack is about to hit you. It's easier to do than in Melee.

Again, I urge you to look here. It explains most basic/advanced stuff.

Recognize

Smash Journeyman
I still dont get DI, and I read the topic thing.

So if falco was using his neutral ground A i would push my mvmt stick to the right?

..... ..... DI ->
Flco__ME
Atk->

If that helps explain my sentence.

Also if im getting hit straight up into the air, by... mayb warios u-air, I would jam my move stick downwards?

crosser43

Smash Journeyman
I still dont get DI, and I read the topic thing.

So if falco was using his neutral ground A i would push my mvmt stick to the right?

..... ..... DI ->
Flco__ME
Atk->

If that helps explain my sentence.

Also if im getting hit straight up into the air, by... mayb warios u-air, I would jam my move stick downwards?
To DI properly, you gotta tilt the control stick perpendicular to the direction you are sent flying. If i understand your situation properly, i think you mean you are sent flying right? Then you have to DI up.

..... ..... DI -^^^^^^^^^
Enemy>>attacks>>Falco---you---
sent flying this way>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If Wario's Uair sends you straight up, which i can't remember, then you gotta DI perpendicular, what's perpendicular of up?

What are the requirements to use in our sigs?[/QUOTE]

You have to stay active and post consistently for a period of time. This period is unknown to me, but I don't believe it's not long at all, for some of the people that joined in May 2008 already have [IMG]s.

choombroom

Smash Rookie
Couple of quick noob questions

btw, I don't know how to post a new topic so here I am "replying"

1. During the credits/shooting game, why are some names in red?

2. What does SWF stand for?

And while I'm at it, how do I post a new topic? ;p

Thanks.

Enkidu

Smash Cadet
"Smashboards doesn't allow you to post messages that are less than 10 characters long, so when someone has a short post (i.e. I agree) then they'll often include the words 10char so they can surpass the minimum characters and post their comment."
What, really? I always assumed it was a reference to Smash64. Well. . . I'm disappointed.

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
To DI properly, you gotta tilt the control stick perpendicular to the direction you are sent flying.
Wait... really? I've had DIing wrong this whole time? Okay, so...

If I get hit hard to the right,
and I hold left on the control stick...

it's exactly the same as me getting hit hard to the right and doing nothing?

crosser43

Smash Journeyman
Wait... really? I've had DIing wrong this whole time? Okay, so...

If I get hit hard to the right,
and I hold left on the control stick...

it's exactly the same as me getting hit hard to the right and doing nothing?
I'm pretty sure about this, the effective way being perpendicular from the DI thread. But i don't think doing it the opposite way is completely obsolete. I just don't think it'll work as well.

edit:Ah here it is. The old thread http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=60218.
Take a look at the Regular DI section, which I think is where you DI for regular situations.

Regular DI :

After the hitlag, your character starts flying from the hit.

Regular DI will influence your trajectory, it has been known for more than a year now.
DIing along the same line of the defaut trajectory doesn't affect it at all. What does work and what saves your life at high % is having a DI perpendicular to the defaut trajectory.
To ground-tech a hit, DI to the perpendicular of your trajectory and preferably down, while ASDIing down with the C-stick.

MRS1

Smash Journeyman
How do you pivot grab with Samus? And is there a thread that explains how to do different grab tricks with Samus in brawl? I would also like to know about any threads that explain missle cancelling in Brawl.

Sikarios

Smash Cadet
What is the game mechanic called where you attempt to dash grab someone and they shield and, for some reason, your character will turn around (with their back to the opponent) and grab the wrong way? Sort of like if you were hit with Mario's cape. I swear this happens a lot when I play against Wolf, and I'm not moving the joystick back the other direction, either.

retro gamer 6

Smash Journeyman
i have a question. whats the maximum capacity for a forum signature? i don't want it to be cut like the one i currently have below. can anyone tell me? thanx in advance!!!

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
hey panda, do you know by any chance how to win new (not repeated) stickers the fastest way?

thanks in advance

LostMoogle

Smash Rookie
What causes the cheering? It happens more often in FFA. Is it something like halo? Inflicting a certain amount of % in so many seconds?

Mewter

Smash Master
Q:
So... what order do the rankings go in again? I'm a little confused.
N00b
Child
Journeyman
Debater?
It gets a little foggy after that. Could anyone help clear this up?

Mike_Echoes

Smash Journeyman
How come my Signature appears in some threads but not others?
What is a Hyphen Smash? I hear Marth can do it.
What is Stutter Stepping (Or is it Shutter Stepping)?

Mike_Echoes

Smash Journeyman
Slipping is random. Every time you initiate a dash there is a chance you will trip. And then there is Banana's that auto trip. And some moves trip too, like Kirby's or Lucas' Down Tilt

pirkid

Smash Lord
Q:
So... what order do the rankings go in again? I'm a little confused.
N00b
Child
Journeyman
Debater?
It gets a little foggy after that. Could anyone help clear this up?
N00b
Child
Journeyman
Apprentice
Lord

Debater is a premium class, I believe.

iis there any online clans out there?
Yea, search Google. Wifi Wars is a good place to start.

What causes the cheering? It happens more often in FFA. Is it something like halo? Inflicting a certain amount of % in so many seconds?
IIRC, yes, you are right. It also occurs if you pull a certain number of hits in succession (Like a combo) or you kill all players within a few seconds of each other.

Mike_Echoes

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is an awesome game

U have 2 put the Show ur Signature checkbox checked in. I dont know about tha other 2.
Ok, it is. But on the same page in one thread one of my posts showed my sig, and the one about 3 posts below it didn't. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom