• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question? Get an Answer!

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
So, I didn't see a Q&A thread for Samus in here, so I thought I'd make one.
I've seen many questions being posted in random threads and I thought a dedicated Q&A thread would be nice. :grin:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Question must be Samus related (whether it be matchups, moves, Samus's background story, ect..)
- Anyone can ask a question and anyone can answer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start off with the first question:
Is it possible to full hop nair and fire a missile before touching the ground? Her animation for the nair ends but I can't fire a missile :glare:. I can do it with a bair, but not a nair.

Pi

Smash Hero
N-Air
Total: 49
IASA: 40

Super Missile
Missile comes out (air): 15

Jump: airborne on frame 4
Air time: 69

would seem you have a 14 frame window to work with (bout 1/4th of a second)

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Yes, it is possible to full hop nair then missile cancel. For whatever reason, it is a lot harder than doing missile after other aerials.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
How many times can you dtilt a captain/fox/falco before they di out of it?

my highest score was 3, when i told my little sister to spas out on the controller once i started dtilting.

Pi

Smash Hero
^cute

i think in most cases they can jump out of it, but many just try to tech instead

though i do think you can get 2 to combo 100% of the time

personally i think i've only done 3 lol, more if you count tech chases

Pockets Jones

Smash Rookie
hey, i was just wondering what some good uses are for wavedash uptilt, and if anyone has any good suggestions for practicing the timing? most of the time i end up jumping and upairing or upsmashing...

Pi

Smash Hero
^wd uptilt is really good when you've baited someone to attack you where you -were-
just like any wd back bait, wd uptilt is just a stricter more precise timing than dtilt/dsmash/dashattack

as far as practicing it goes, just practice it, wding around and uptilt, i practiced that for a while actually
it looks sexy

stelzig

Smash Lord
hey, i was just wondering what some good uses are for wavedash uptilt, and if anyone has any good suggestions for practicing the timing? most of the time i end up jumping and upairing or upsmashing...
Press up during the wavedash and press A when you are able to attack. This way you won't jump and you won't usmash.
(this is said without trying it, I don't really ever play samus, but I would be surprised if it didn't work)

Pi

Smash Hero
I main falco and i want to know how to time out a samus on dk64
positon yourrself so that she has to challenge either your bair or your dair
this works on every stage
if he stops wanting to approach, laser him, keep 1 wavedash ftilt distance between him and you (his wd ftilt) when you're lasering
shield a lot
shinebair OoS if he ever attacks it, space bairs if you're going to attack or dair him if you know you can

but mainly the first line

Vaccine

Smash Journeyman
i mean would it work if i shoot one laser and got a quick 2/3% and then just jumped around on the top platforms for 8 mins if samus goes up then i go down and vice versa?

Pi

Smash Hero
i mean would it work if i shoot one laser and got a quick 2/3% and then just jumped around on the top platforms for 8 mins if samus goes up then i go down and vice versa?
camping is flawed and samus punishes falco harder than falco punishes samus (overall)
but she will have a hard time catching you

i wouldn't reccomend going below her, just make her chase you from platform to platform

theory crafting, what i would try to do to counter that is just shoot missiles, homing, smash, and uncharged shots as i maneuver my way to you
if i notice that you are side B'ing to the other platform, i'll try to bait that and then shoot a smahs missile over to catch you when you land

if you're double jumping i should be able to cover a lot of your returning to the stage options

but like i said, as long as you're constantly forcing her to having to be dealing with your dair or bair you should come out on top more likely than not

just attack when it's safe

but as far as camping goes i don't advocate it too strongly because i believe most camping strats are flawed and if you happen to focus too strongly on camping you'll probably end up getting punished harder than all your lasers that hit

but if i were looking to camp out a samus as falco on dk64 i would get the % lead and just jump from 1 platform to the other, dairing her when she messes up or when i pick up on a pattern

Pluplue

Smash Ace
IMO once you're on the platform then you can bait samuses up air and just down air drop through down air again. samus really can't approach you when you're on those high platforms.

and I don't think missiles should be a problem when you're up there since she cant follow them up.

Violence

Smash Lord
I doubt it. I'm pretty sure everyone who has a jump sound will make that sound upon every wavedash.

Sheik: Two! Two Two Two!

Pi

Smash Hero
white power

black is my fav though
or purple, no purple is def my fave

gonna spraypaint my white one though

Pi

Smash Hero
i thought plup posted here so i came to see what he had to say
scrolled down to see the above post
try to remember what his name used to be
remember it was roxy and that i don't like him
realize he most likely name searched purple to find this
go back to looking for plups post
realize i misread purple as pluplue
remember i should ask plup if he needs a ride to the tourney tomorrow...

Dolejiggz

Smash Rookie
Approaches

Hey I often have trouble approaching. How do you guys approach. Do you have any suggestions for approaches? I play against a lot of foxes, falcos, and marths. Any response will be appreciated.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
nair your way in
if they do a lot of run -> shield do bomb on shield -> dair
dash attack helps too
try wavedashing towards them and ftilt/utilt
or SHMC approach or SHWDMC if there are platforms around
thats what i can think of right now

Pi

Smash Hero
focus less on getting a hit when approaching and more on pushing them into a corner and making them whiff an attack or jump or something

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
Nair is a poor approach, IMO. Samus has a terribly slow falling speed and against Fox/Falco/Marth, it's like asking to be shield grabbed or punished by their superior aerials.

Dash attack should be used sparingly, but is good for punishing short hopped aerials (like Marth's fair, for example)

Agreed about wavedashing and ftilt/utilt. Wavedashing in and out and dashdancing is sooo good. Ftilt to poke them, utilt works best when wavedashing away from them.

Missile cancel from a platform is good too, follow the missile and see how they react. If they reflector, you can jump over and punish with an aerial. If they like to shield it, you get a free grab. If they jump, you can punish with an aerial or dash attack, whatever works.

You really gotta be patient with Samus when approaching. Stick with the safe attacks (mostly f-tilt, missiles, etc) and look for openings.

Grab can also be very good, but you need to be real close to them and have an understanding of when they shield. Personally I like to dashdance into a grab or just grab whenever it looks like I'm about to dash attack them.

You know I'm having a surprisingly hard time thinking of good approaches right now, but it's not something I have a lot of problems with when I play. Either f-tilt is just that good or you just naturally start to see openings after a while, lol.

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
Don't approach from the air. Nuff said. Samus's ground game is much better than her air game against high tier's like you're talking about.

So if you're going to approach, do it from the ground. Use WD and Dashdancing to you're advantage. Bait the sh** out of them.

Something I picked up from playing/watching thePrime is to WD towards em with an ftilt and then WD back the second you're f-tilt animation is done. Another good poke is WD->jab once or twice (if twice, jab cancel of course)->WD back.

WD'ing back into u-tilt like others were saying is a pretty good defensive move.

WD back->ftilt is pretty good as well (if they're not in the air)

Most of the time you don't want to be the agressor against a good fox, falco, or marth because the majority of their moves are better than yours. So, you want to bait/trap em and punish the crap out of them while pressuring them with you're attacks and mindgames.

Pi

Smash Hero
yea when i space a fair, or throw it out before my opponent and he hits between it,
well it makes me not want to do that again
._.

vs. characters w/ low aerial speed it would probably be fine
mario bros./samus

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Yes, it is possible to full hop nair then missile cancel. For whatever reason, it is a lot harder than doing missile after other aerials.
I'll try this out in frame advance mode when I'm done with work. I want to see why it is harder to do that u/b/fair -> MC.

Also, which is a better option against marth? WD back ftilt or WD back utilt? Also, what are the best options from dthrow on marth and other midweights? What about light weights like puff?
I know that dthrow -> almost anything works on FFers.

Is uthrow useful at all? I don't think it is.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
Ftilt is almost always better than utilt, though utilt is much more rewarding.

Dthrow on Marth/Sheik and similar characters usually leads to an utilt/dash attack, depending on how they DI.

I actually think uthrow is much better vs. Fox, Falco and C. Falcon. You get a free aerial no matter what, basically. Personally I like to uthrow > dair on low percentages, nair on higher percentages. Dthrow sometimes lead to a dtilt, which is also very good, but other than that it's mostly for techchasing purposes.

Top Bottom