• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Battlecow

Play to Win
Hey now

America is good

It's just that I'm bad.

Terrible, in fact.

Luckily, I play doug so LA LA LA (whatever) LA LA LA (it doesn't matter)

The Star King

Smash Hero
Lol people didn't use pivots? I don't even remember consciously putting pivoting in my game, I just kind of did them from the start because they seemed natural to me and required no practice since they're so easy.

Mixtizo

Smash Rookie
Screen LAG

Quick question, was wondering if you and any ideas on how to make smash 64 run faster on project 64k...

I dnt think its my computer being inferior b/c its an intel core i5 and i run other emulators like MAME32k fine without and screen lag...

kys

Smash Ace
Lol people didn't use pivots? I don't even remember consciously putting pivoting in my game, I just kind of did them from the start because they seemed natural to me and required no practice since they're so easy.
Only the really good players used them from what I remember (late summer of 2007ish).

Anybody remember the old Texas server? NOT the other Galaxy that was started a year or two ago, but the other one? I always got nice delay with west coast people back then.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
aloha amigos. sooo when i tryy connecting to the galexy, the rom screen comes up. i click the supersmash one and it says it cant open the file. but its not the rom because i can play offline. what do i do?

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
okay thanks alott, i refreshed the rom list and it worked. it opened up smash but it was like a normal game. how do i get this tab that lets you like choose matched and what now. i click connect to galexyy and all it does is put the rom window above the others.

dandan

Smash Lord
just go to file->start netplay in pj64k,
make sure the "change mode" box at the top right is on client,
press on the buttom left button "custom ip" and enter this ip
69.172.242.150:27888
and press connect.
i am there if you want to try.

Dingus

Smash Cadet
I can do pivots more or less perfectly now, I know most of the combo options they give me, and I'm 99.9% consistent.

But only when I'm pivoting to the left. I still can't pivot to the right at ALL. Literally spent two hours yesterday trying to get it to stop feeling awkward and it won't.
I dont understand. What exactly do you mean by pivots, and how exactly do they change the game significantly? I thought I understood what a pivot is, but I dont understand how exactly it has such a great impact.

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^Since it turns you around fast and conveniently (and is a dash also), you can use it to combo, and space/dodge an attack and immediately punish. Also, lots of char have good Bairs so they pivot right before a jump or for anything actually (retreating Fair). It can be used to get a grab or pressure the sheild, and pivot behind them and grab- depending on where in the stage you are/combo or kill percent/Fthrow or Bthrow. This is just what comes to mind right now but it REALLY does change the whole game. It's the equivalent to the wavedashing of 64 IMO. It should be second nature to do it all the time if needed, not just in a particular situation. It comes down to movement and char control. It's one of those things that evolves regular play to competitive play. If a new play asks, "how do you do moves that fast?" then you show them canceling. If they already do and ask, "how do I move LIKE THAT?" then pivoting is a nice place to start.

What this guy said. I think when I started canceling? idk lol.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
All this pivot talk reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask. How/when did people figure out the early tech stuff (like z-canceling)? Its not in the instruction manual, so did someone just accidentally z-cancel one day? Its just weird to me because most people who played the game, even those who played a lot, mainly rolled, smashed, and grabbed without ever discovering more advanced techniques. I want a history lesson! Who discovered it on their own and who got it from the internet like me?

Battlecow I feel you, pivoting to the left is much easier for me on an n64 controller. Keyboard its the same both ways for me, though I'm not great at either because keyboard is LAME.

Had a dream that kero posted that he went 1-0 against malva and then malva wouldn't play him again. Maybe its a sign, kero is the GOAT.

B Link

Smash Lord
How do you DI out of fox's jab combos at "near-death" percents? What opportunities can you take advantage of for them to mess up?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
@Battlecow & @clubbadubba.

you two are right handed aren't you?
yea, but I really don't think that is the issue. like if the controller were reversed and I sticked with my right hand, I would prefer dash right pivot left. I think just moving your thumb away from your hand gives you more finesse than moving it towards, at least for me. Of course, with enough practice both would be the same.

kys

Smash Ace
All this pivot talk reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask. How/when did people figure out the early tech stuff (like z-canceling)? Its not in the instruction manual, so did someone just accidentally z-cancel one day? Its just weird to me because most people who played the game, even those who played a lot, mainly rolled, smashed, and grabbed without ever discovering more advanced techniques. I want a history lesson! Who discovered it on their own and who got it from the internet like me?

Battlecow I feel you, pivoting to the left is much easier for me on an n64 controller. Keyboard its the same both ways for me, though I'm not great at either because keyboard is LAME.

Had a dream that kero posted that he went 1-0 against malva and then malva wouldn't play him again. Maybe its a sign, kero is the GOAT.
I learned how to cancel on accident WAAY back like in 2000. I used Link all the time, and would spam double jump dair. My friends caught on quickly and would run in and "punish" with a dash attack. Eventually their timing got better and they would be next to me right as I was landing. I pressed z to shield, and BOOM, no landing lag. My mind was blown. Unfortunately I was stupid and didn't try this with any other moves or any other characters. I assumed that the shield was what made the lag go away, because the shield extends farther than Link's sword when it's stuck between his legs in the dair. Cool story.

Z-cancelling, I BELIEVE, became widespread when some official smash website released the information in the early 2000's.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
It's because of the way your hand holds the controller. You get more precise movements when moving your thumb to the left because that's where it's connected to the rest of the hand.

Just try to smash repeatedly like you're smash DIing to the left, and then to the right, while keeping your palm firmly on the controller handle. You'll find that you can get more inputs to the left with better consistency and force.

Theoretically, everybody should have an easier time pivoting to the left, providing you hold the controller the typical way.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I can DI a hell of a lot better to the right and more consistently than the left direction.
Well, that throws that theory out the window!

Perhaps it all comes down to muscles and how they developed/which ones are stronger in your hand/thumb.

Maybe DI was a poor example since I'd imagine a lot of people curl their hand over the controller to impart more force on the joystick when DIing to the right, but I definitely have more precision with my thumb when it's located closer to my hand.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
that was pretty much it kero. and GOAT = Greatest Of All Time.

More stories about zcanceling! Was anyone doing it before the internet told you too?

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
that was pretty much it kero. and GOAT = Greatest Of All Time.

More stories about zcanceling! Was anyone doing it before the internet told you too?
I first magically discovered it in Melee, with Link's Dair. That seems to be the popular move because of all the landing lag and noticeable animation! Anyway, Link pulled that sword **** up really quickly and we all thought it was a Link-exclusive move and from then on, Link was the best character.

Never really discovered it in 64, though, but then again, I didn't play it much back in the day.

B Link

Smash Lord
Speaking of DI

How do you DI out of fox's jab combos at "near-death" percents? What opportunities can you take advantage of for them to mess up?

Peek~

Smash Lord
Speaking of DI

DI Away and Down? You will probably be on the floor and shield when the Usmash comes out and block it. Then just follow up with a grab or something out of shield,

I noticed sometimes when DIing the Jab->Usmash I will still be hit by Usmash but it will be a weak one and sends me foward or I can jump out of it. Im usually DIing Up and Away for this though

B Link

Smash Lord
Yeah I do that but then they walk and continue the combo. The landing on the floor thing and shielding isn't something I've thought about though. I try that against Jiggly's dair I think. With Jiggly though I just get jabbed after they figure it out followed by throw >_>

Sangoku

Smash Master
I thought I was the only one who had a better right DI. I still don't have a good method for left DI. "****ing method" takes too long to set up/go back to original position.

Infamous_Diablo

Banned via Warnings
is DI even that good. i know you guys keep getting more things to thing im a noob about but ill be straight up idk how to DI. iv seen those insane DI combo videos on youtube but in actual use of battle im sort of scepticle about it. anyone wanna help me learn so if it is a necesity i dont get washed up online. since everyone on here pretty much thinks i suck anyway i might as well be open to as much advice as possible

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
No DI is cheating because DI is useless.
Please tell me you're not serious.

is DI even that good. i know you guys keep getting more things to thing im a noob about but ill be straight up idk how to DI. iv seen those insane DI combo videos on youtube but in actual use of battle im sort of scepticle about it. anyone wanna help me learn so if it is a necesity i dont get washed up online. since everyone on here pretty much thinks i suck anyway i might as well be open to as much advice as possible
Take a look at this:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...GYtOGViMzhhYzFlZDYz&authkey=CL-r_oAL&hl=en_US

And this is the simplest video I could found: (Read description)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEfODQB_88Y

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
As a Ness main, ledge DI is pretty much integral to getting back on the stage, and even then, it probably won't help much, unless you get that ridiculous Dreamland DI.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
DI is pretty crucial to minimize the damage you get from combos. It is especially effective against multi-hit moves, like falcons fair or any drill. If you can DI the first hit and avoid the others than you could be in a position to start punishing your opponent. It can save you a stock and give you a combo's worth of damage on your opponent at the same, so yea pretty useful. ruins your controller though so dont use it if the match doesn't matter.

Infamous_Diablo

Banned via Warnings
that google document thing was pretty sweet but i could find the section explaining how to initiate a DI. if someone could just give me a basic example of how to do it im sure i could figure it out. all u do is press the directin towards a ledge or wall you want to go to right?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
that google document thing was pretty sweet but i could find the section explaining how to initiate a DI. if someone could just give me a basic example of how to do it im sure i could figure it out. all u do is press the directin towards a ledge or wall you want to go to right?
Read page 17 of that google doc. its more than just pressin the direction and holding it once. You have to press as many times as you can during the fraction of a second you are being hit for. The more times you press, the more movement you get.

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
I'm not an expert or anything but I'm sure you can either Smash the stick or slide the stick WHILE you are getting hit. Depending on the side you're on depends on which direction you should press.

EDIT: That's just for edge DI you can also DI out of moves. For example Samus' Up B you can DI down out of it or some people DI up out of it. It's all situational but again I'm no expert.

Top Bottom